Chicago 2L Takings ?s Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pehaigllleises

Bronze

Re: Chicago 2L Takings ?s

Post by pehaigllleises » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Tofu pizza would be delicious. The first thing I'm doing on my New York callback days is getting a real slice of pizza.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:44 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Tofu pizza would be delicious.
OUTED AS WTF

pehaigllleises

Bronze

Post by pehaigllleises » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:17 pm

Eh, one of my favorite foods is tofu stir fry. So I think a nice New York slice topped with tofu (and sausage) would be all kinds of amazing. I don't want the pizza to actually be made of tofu. But as a topping? Mmmm.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:18 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:Eh, one of my favorite foods is tofu stir fry. So I think a nice New York slice topped with tofu (and sausage) would be all kinds of amazing. I don't want the pizza to actually be made of tofu. But as a topping? Mmmm.
How can you like tofu? It has no flavor, it just sits there and squishes.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:26 pm

Anyone apply early decision and want to tell me about it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:26 pm

I just got done eating a Gino's slice. I've also had Pizzano's and a few others. Are there any better Chicago slices?

So far, Chicago is ok, but NYC has it beat by a mile. Luzzo's, Lombardi's, Co., Artichoke -- all way, way better than anything I have had in Chicago.

ellewoods110

Bronze

Post by ellewoods110 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:13 am

rynabrius wrote:I just got done eating a Gino's slice. I've also had Pizzano's and a few others. Are there any better Chicago slices?

So far, Chicago is ok, but NYC has it beat by a mile. Luzzo's, Lombardi's, Co., Artichoke -- all way, way better than anything I have had in Chicago.
Lou Malnati's is DEFINITELY the best Chicago Style Deep Dish. Then you can compare to NYC (although its like comparing apples to oranges). Make sure you order the buttercrust.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:40 am

In fairness, I'll admit Lombardi's superiority over any Chicago pizza.

rynabrius

Bronze

Post by rynabrius » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:10 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:In fairness, I'll admit Lombardi's superiority over any Chicago pizza.
The crazy thing is, Lombardi's is my least favorite of all the NYC places I listed. (They are sometimes very good, but they are inconsistent. YMMV.)

ellewoods: Thanks for the recommendation, I will try them. Congrats on your 179 LSAT and sterling political career.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Visited UChi over the weekend and there seemed to be a surprising lack of food variety/shopping/nightlife options near campus. Does everyone just head off to other parts of the city to actually do things? If so, how difficult is it to navigate public transportation? Is there a bus that goes directly to downtown Chicago?

Also, is it just because I was there before school was in fall session or is the typical UChi student really as socially awkward as they seem?? During my visit no students waived or said hi and a lot of them even looked down at the ground as I walked past.

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:54 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Visited UChi over the weekend and there seemed to be a surprising lack of food variety/shopping/nightlife options near campus. Does everyone just head off to other parts of the city to actually do things? If so, how difficult is it to navigate public transportation? Is there a bus that goes directly to downtown Chicago?

Also, is it just because I was there before school was in fall session or is the typical UChi student really as socially awkward as they seem?? During my visit no students waived or said hi and a lot of them even looked down at the ground as I walked past.
Your sense about Hyde Park is right - there's very little to do. Many people move elsewhere for 2L/3L. There are buses that go directly downtown, though - the 6 (runs almost all day), X28 (during rush hours) and 2 (during rush hours).

Styrofoam

New

Post by Styrofoam » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:36 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Visited UChi over the weekend and there seemed to be a surprising lack of food variety/shopping/nightlife options near campus. Does everyone just head off to other parts of the city to actually do things? If so, how difficult is it to navigate public transportation? Is there a bus that goes directly to downtown Chicago?

I'm not sure what is socially awkward about a person not waiving at a complete stranger.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:06 pm

Styrofoam wrote:

I'm not sure what is socially awkward about a person not waiving at a complete stranger.
Ehh.. not necessarily waive but on most college campuses people at least nod, say hi, or make contact with strangers that walk by in close proximity.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:10 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
Styrofoam wrote:

Ehh.. not necessarily waive but on most college campuses people at least nod, say hi, or make contact with strangers that walk by in close proximity.
It'll probably sound like I'm just defending Chicago because I <3 it, but really, I do not go out of my way to say hi to strangers, nor do I expect them to for me.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 pm

eskimo wrote: It'll probably sound like I'm just defending Chicago because I <3 it, but really, I do not go out of my way to say hi to strangers, nor do I expect them to for me.
Haha I love Chicago as much as you do.. somehow I get the feeling that TLS may be the wrong place to make claims of social awkwardness. It was just a bit striking to me. Ive spent significant time on 6 different college campuses and at all it was a really friendly place where people would smile at you or nod as you walked by. At Chicago it felt like everyone was going out of their way to avoid being noticed. Its not a make or break thing just an observation is all.

d34d9823

Gold

Post by d34d9823 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:16 pm

eskimo wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
Styrofoam wrote:I'm not sure what is socially awkward about a person not waiving at a complete stranger.
Ehh.. not necessarily waive but on mostyour college campus, apparently, people at least nod, say hi, or make contact with strangers that walk by in close proximity.
It'll probably sound like I'm just defending Chicago because I <3 it, but really,I do not go out of my way to say hi to strangers, nor do I expect them to for me.

JennBNYC

Bronze

Post by JennBNYC » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:18 pm

rynabrius wrote:I just got done eating a Gino's slice. I've also had Pizzano's and a few others. Are there any better Chicago slices?

Yes, Artichoke! Yummmmm...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

iwantawhiteiphone4

New

Post by iwantawhiteiphone4 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:38 pm

Digression: any now-3L's take LI from Easterbrook? I've heard the curve is low and the reading is long, but how can I pass up taking a class from one of the most influential living judges?

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:46 pm

iwantawhiteiphone4 wrote:Digression: any now-3L's take LI from Easterbrook? I've heard the curve is low and the reading is long, but how can I pass up taking a class from one of the most influential living judges?
He taught a different class last year, so I'm not sure whether these observations will be helpful.

The curve is low. I worked harder for that class than any other (I did an "extra" paper) and just managed a 180. One of my lowest grades - but it must not have been too bad compared to the class (pm me if you want to know why).

I didn't sign up for the li lottery, because I felt like one Easterbrook class was enough. But, if you got the class, not taking it shouldn't be an option. It's brutal, it is a TON of reading - but he is an incredibly intelligent man, and a REALLY good teacher. There's a huge amount of reading.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:15 pm

JennBNYC wrote:

Yes, Artichoke! Yummmmm...
Oh, I need dinner tonight.

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:23 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:Anyone apply early decision and want to tell me about it?
I applied ED. What do you want to know, specifically?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:41 am

johnstuartmill wrote:
Any regrets given the economy, it seems like applying ed means forgoing $$. I feel like if I applied RD, I might end up on the wl.

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:43 am

xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:
Any regrets given the economy, it seems like applying ed means forgoing $$. I feel like if I applied RD, I might end up on the wl.
Well, it seems like you've got the basic calculation figured out, so as long as you know why you're going to law school, you should be fine.

I applied ED because my odd combination of numbers and softs meant that I had very little certainty over whether I could get in. I have specific career goals that will be very difficult for me to attain if I had not gone to Chicago or a handful of other schools that I almost certainly wasn't going to get into anyway. Yes, $200,000 in debt is a scary-ass prospect, but I foresee it as manageable given 1) my minimal debt from a state public undergrad, 2) Chicago's placement into well-paying jobs, which is pretty damn impressive even ITE, and 3) the variety of programs that are available to help graduates pay down debt even when they're not making the big bucks. I was displeased (understatement alert!) to discover that I wasn't getting any aid from the law school. But now that the dust has settled, I think I made the right decision, both ex post and ex ante.

So, my advice to you would vary depending on your individual goals and circumstances.

xyzzzzzzzz

Bronze

Post by xyzzzzzzzz » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:05 pm

johnstuartmill wrote:
xyzzzzzzzz wrote:
johnstuartmill wrote:
Well, it seems like you've got the basic calculation figured out, so as long as you know why you're going to law school, you should be fine.

I applied ED because my odd combination of numbers and softs meant that I had very little certainty over whether I could get in. I have specific career goals that will be very difficult for me to attain if I had not gone to Chicago or a handful of other schools that I almost certainly wasn't going to get into anyway. Yes, $200,000 in debt is a scary-ass prospect, but I foresee it as manageable given 1) my minimal debt from a state public undergrad, 2) Chicago's placement into well-paying jobs, which is pretty damn impressive even ITE, and 3) the variety of programs that are available to help graduates pay down debt even when they're not making the big bucks. I was displeased (understatement alert!) to discover that I wasn't getting any aid from the law school. But now that the dust has settled, I think I made the right decision, both ex post and ex ante.

So, my advice to you would vary depending on your individual goals and circumstances.
Thanks, what do you think of this( from the website)

Do Early Decision candidates receive any advantage in the admissions process?

By applying Early Decision, an applicant is clearly indicating that Chicago is his or her first choice and the Committee will note that an applicant applied Early Decision throughout the admissions process. Enthusiasm for studying law at Chicago is only a positive factor. In addition, the Committee has more room in the class at the Early Decision stage. However, applying Early Decision will not overcome any weaknesses in an application and Early Decision candidates are evaluated based upon the same criteria as Regular Decision candidates.

johnstuartmill

Bronze

Post by johnstuartmill » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:18 pm

I think applying ED definitely gets you an admissions boost at Chicago, if that's your question.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”