Chicago 2L Takings ?s

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Mr. T6

Re: Chicago 2L Takings ?s

Postby Mr. T6 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:58 pm

moxypoxy wrote:When/how do we get a lease for an apartment in Regents?

Is there a board or anything for law students looking for roommates? I'd rather split a 2br

The lease starts in late August/early September IIRC.

The easy way to do this is probably through the FB group, although (unsolicited advice) I wouldn't advise living with another law student during 1L.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Sat May 08, 2010 5:32 pm

Mr. T6 wrote:The lease starts in late August/early September IIRC.

The easy way to do this is probably through the FB group, although (unsolicited advice) I wouldn't advise living with another law student during 1L.

I found a roommate using the admitted students board the school had during the year I was admitted. Don't know if they have one this year. If they did, I assume you would know about it.

Also, I thought living with another 1L was fine, and no different than having a roommate in college.

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:05 pm

Full disclosure: A Fern Port is a laid-back dude who is easy to get along with. Most of his friends and former roommates are the same way. Not everyone is blessed with these qualities.

moxypoxy

Postby moxypoxy » Sun May 09, 2010 8:11 am

[edited]

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Tue May 18, 2010 10:31 am

i'll be living in new grad this fall; how safe is it to have my car street parked? likelihood of stereo or vehicle theft? Am I going to walk to my car one morning to find it up on cinder blocks? Also is it problematic to have a car street parked when it snows/plows have to come through? Thx

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:55 pm

agentzer0 wrote:i'll be living in new grad this fall; how safe is it to have my car street parked? likelihood of stereo or vehicle theft? Am I going to walk to my car one morning to find it up on cinder blocks? Also is it problematic to have a car street parked when it snows/plows have to come through? Thx

My friend kept his car here and never had any theft issues, even during the long break. I'm not sure about the plows.

A Fern Port

Postby A Fern Port » Thu May 20, 2010 5:47 pm

agentzer0 wrote:i'll be living in new grad this fall; how safe is it to have my car street parked? likelihood of stereo or vehicle theft? Am I going to walk to my car one morning to find it up on cinder blocks? Also is it problematic to have a car street parked when it snows/plows have to come through? Thx

I know people that street-parked at New Grad while they lived there without problem.

I don't think you have to move your car for snow plowing. They just plow the part of the streets people drive on, not the section for parking. So, you have to dig out your own car, but you won't have to move it for snow plows. (Although you will have to move if sometimes for street sweeping.)

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:25 am

Mac or PC for law school exams at UC?

Mr. T6

Postby Mr. T6 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:22 am

hiromoto45 wrote:Mac or PC for law school exams at UC?

Doesn't matter.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:37 am

A Fern Port wrote:

I know people that street-parked at New Grad while they lived there without problem.

I don't think you have to move your car for snow plowing. They just plow the part of the streets people drive on, not the section for parking. So, you have to dig out your own car, but you won't have to move it for snow plows. (Although you will have to move if sometimes for street sweeping.)

Good to know all of this; still trying to decide whether to bring my car, and I'll be living in New Grad.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:19 am

Would I be making a bad decision to plan a long trip during my 1L spring break? Is it better to stay in Chicago and study?

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:24 am

cranberry wrote:Would I be making a bad decision to plan a long trip during my 1L spring break? Is it better to stay in Chicago and study?

not bad at all (assuming you don't still have to line up a summer job) - i guess there could be benefits to using spring break to study - but really, you'll have time to do what you need to do once classes start - plus it's an intense quarter...a little break beforehand is good for making the final push

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:34 am

What happens during orientation?

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:40 am

hiromoto45 wrote:What happens during orientation?

i'm not gonna lie...i don't really remember - haha - you do listen to a lot of speeches, though, i can tell you that - and an academic counselor shows you how to "brief a case" - and a panel of current students tells you you have to "do what works for you"

looking back, the important part was meeting people...meeting people and going on the booze cruise

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:41 am

doyle,

what do the majority of UC kids do for lunch, absent some sort of catered talk?

thanks for all your help man

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:43 am

doyleoil wrote:

i'm not gonna lie...i don't really remember - haha - you do listen to a lot of speeches, though, i can tell you that - and an academic counselor shows you how to "brief a case" - and a panel of current students tells you you have to "do what works for you"

looking back, the important part was meeting people...meeting people and going on the booze cruise

Cool, so just a repeat ASW.

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:59 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

Cool, so just a repeat ASW.

yeah, but i wouldn't suggest skipping too much of it (i think i did skip out on one of the panel talks the last day or something) - it's good to get to know people and at least see what resources are available (even if none of the "content" really sticks)

miamiman wrote:doyle,

what do the majority of UC kids do for lunch, absent some sort of catered talk?

thanks for all your help man

there's a small cafe at the law school, but it kind of gets old (and the selection isn't very big) - there's an undergrad cafeteria next door to the law school

booth has a really good cafeteria and it's only a few blocks away - also, you guys reap the benefits of z&h finally moving in up on 57th st - they've got really great sandwiches and coffee - of course as soon as november hits and it's too cold to feel your face when you step outside, those options are less attractive

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:02 am

Is brown-bagging it a possibility? ie, are there fridges available?

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:08 am

miamiman wrote:Is brown-bagging it a possibility? ie, are there fridges available?

yeah quite a few people bring lunches - not sure about the fridge situation (never used one), but i'd assume there has to be one (or more than one?)

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:09 am

doyleoil wrote:
miamiman wrote:Is brown-bagging it a possibility? ie, are there fridges available?

yeah quite a few people bring lunches - not sure about the fridge situation (never used one), but i'd assume there has to be one (or more than one?)

Speaking of food, is there a university meal plan system?

doyleoil

Postby doyleoil » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:12 am

hiromoto45 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

there is - i'm pretty sure some of our people are on it, if i remember right - i have NO idea what its options are (or even how to sign up for it) - but it should be an option

miamiman

Postby miamiman » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:14 am

doyleoil wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:
doyleoil wrote:

there is - i'm pretty sure some of our people are on it, if i remember right - i have NO idea what its options are (or even how to sign up for it) - but it should be an option

lol. I love honesty

pehaigllleises

Postby pehaigllleises » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:07 am

I'm pretty sure there's a big fridge downstairs near the vending machine. I brought food from home, and I went to a lot of lunch talks. The cafe has the nerve to charge $6 for a pretty unimaginative sandwich or wrap. There are toasters and microwaves in the lounge to reheat your food, and they usually aren't swamped with people. I also generally went home as soon as classes were over at 2:35, so I could get away with just waiting to have lunch at home if necessary.

Also, invest in a good coffee maker with a timer and a good insulated mug. Multiple daily coffees are expensive. I never drank so much coffee as 1L year. I still slept 7-8 hours a night, but something about law school requires coffee.

cranberry

Postby cranberry » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:31 am

do any of you take advantage of the discount uchicago students get at at&t? i put my email address in and it said i qualify: http://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/premier/

how much do you save?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:53 pm

How do 1Ls find summer employment (law firm, RA, paid)? I heard there are restrictions on 1l employment and that we can't speak to career services as 1Ls. Is this true?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”