Chicago 2L Takings ?s Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Emma.

Gold

Re: Chicago 2L Takings ?s

Post by Emma. » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:32 pm

bringbackfirefly wrote:
Emma. wrote: Getting to and from good restaurants
Have you been to Alinea and, if so, is it as good as they say? :D

A little more generally, how often do you get to explore the city during the term? (Sorry if someone has asked this question already.)
I haven't been to Alinea but did check out the Girl and the Goat a few weeks ago :mrgreen: . There are a ton of amazing restaurants in the city (not so many in Hyde Park :| ) but I feel like I have 3 years to check them out so I haven't been racing around to a different restaurant every weekend.

I'm on the older side of my class and live with my SO, so I probably don't go out as much as a lot of people do, but so far I've been heading downtown most weekends to meet friends, go out to eat, shopping or whatever. I usually ride the Metra to get downtown, it is really quick and convenient. The bus is apparently a good option too but I have yet to ride it anywhere apart from to and from school (which is free).

I'm sure as winter sets in I'll be more busy and less motivated, but so far the fall quarter hasn't been too stressful. We still all seem to have time to maintain a social life, go out to restaurants etc.

A good number of 1Ls live in Hyde Park, so it seems like a lot of social events happen down here rather than in the city. Bar review is always somewhere up north though.

bringbackfirefly

New

Post by bringbackfirefly » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:19 pm

Emma, thanks so much for the response. I love the city (some fantastic jazz at BLUES/Kingston Mines) and have heard great things about UChicago, so I'm eager to apply. Good luck with your 1L year!

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:03 am

bringbackfirefly wrote:Emma, thanks so much for the response. I love the city (some fantastic jazz at BLUES/Kingston Mines) and have heard great things about UChicago, so I'm eager to apply. Good luck with your 1L year!
No problem. I found great advice on TLS through the whole application process and I'm really happy with where I ended up. I want to pay some of that back if I can. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions, and good luck with your cycle.

newtopic111

New

Post by newtopic111 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:26 pm

Random, but could anyone recommend a good women's tailor in Chi?

And recs for cleaners, hair stylists, etc. would also be appreciated. :)

For your help, I give:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buItRNal ... re=related

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Last edited by Transferthrowaway on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jim-green

Silver

Post by jim-green » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:47 pm

For science majors who want to do patent law, do the DC patent law firms recruit on campus? And are there many patent law firms in Chicago?

Usernamed

New

Post by Usernamed » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:02 pm

Um.. So, how's life in Chicago?

Anyway, we have a visiting professor from Chicago-Kent here at Northwestern, one Sungjoon Cho, teaching International Law. I couldn't find any student evaluations/reviews of his classes online. Any of you know him/of him? What do you think?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Post by Transferthrowaway » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:13 pm

Usernamed wrote:Um.. So, how's life in Chicago?

Anyway, we have a visiting professor from Chicago-Kent here at Northwestern, one Sungjoon Cho, teaching International Law. I couldn't find any student evaluations/reviews of his classes online. Any of you know him/of him? What do you think?
These are University of Chicago students answering questions. Not Chicago-Kent.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:40 pm

Did any of you live downtown during 1L? Any thoughts on the matter?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Flash

Bronze

Post by Flash » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:37 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:Did any of you live downtown during 1L? Any thoughts on the matter?
I do. The commute isn't bad at all. The 2 bus exists specifically for people to get from downtown to UofC. It's about 40 minute commute so it's not bad at all. I usually can get contracts read on the bus ride so it's not just wasted time. It's nice because you don't have to worry about finding a place to park dt and there are a ton of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. Also, the grocery store situation is much better up here than in HP.

Xifeng

Gold

Post by Xifeng » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:39 pm

Flash wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:Did any of you live downtown during 1L? Any thoughts on the matter?
I do. The commute isn't bad at all. The 2 bus exists specifically for people to get from downtown to UofC. It's about 40 minute commute so it's not bad at all. I usually can get contracts read on the bus ride so it's not just wasted time. It's nice because you don't have to worry about finding a place to park dt and there are a ton of restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. Also, the grocery store situation is much better up here than in HP.
So credited.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:36 am

Flash wrote:
yeah, I was thinking something like Printer's Row, since the #2 stops at Clark and Jackson and the area is really nice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”