Loyola New Orleans Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ru2009

New

Loyola New Orleans Questions

Post by ru2009 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 am

Okay, I scanned most of the active posts and didn't see any accepted and/or current students inquiring about this school, but forgive me if there is another post about this already.

I just got into Loyola New Orleans and it's probably my top pick thus far. I am from Virginia, though and know nothing about this area except from what I've read online. If anyone can answer any of the following questions I'd appreciate it....

what is the student body like? I'm pretty social and outgoing and while I realize law school is not about socializing, I know I won't be happy unless I'm somewhere that I can meet people and go out on the weekends. I hope this doesn't sound shallow, but like I said I need to be happy where I am. I know New Orleans as a city is a big party town, but I'm not going to know a soul down there and just wanted to make sure it's not like a "commuter" school or anything like that.
is it really that difficult to get a job outside of the NOLA metro area?
New Orleans is notorious for being politically corrupt (forgive me if this is an outdated stereotype, I am only going on word of mouth) does this effect the law school, or reputation of the degree outside of LA?
Does the school have a particular field it's known for? (ie: a concentration or specialization that looks good...)

Thanks so much, if anyone can help out at all I would greatly appreciate it.

PosJosh

New

Re: Loyola New Orleans Questions

Post by PosJosh » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:37 pm

I have also been accepted to Loyola-New Orleans. I hear it is a pretty social place. I have a friend that went there and he made many friends and had a good experience.

Myself, I am having some reservations about moving to New Orleans. Every time I visit the place I have a great time. However, I don't know if I actually want to be there for three years. If anyone that has lived in New Orleans can post and let us know your experience I would appreciate it.

"is it really that difficult to get a job outside of the NOLA metro area?"

My friend, that went to Loyola, accepted a job with a firm in Seattle almost immediately after completing law school. He preformed well in school (not top 10%, but better than most). Therefore, I feel that (as with most law schools) if you go there, preform admirably, and pass the bar you shouldn't have a problem getting a job outside NOLA (depending on the job market). Of course, my opinion here is based only this one contact that i have.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”