Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
onetimeonly95
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:25 pm

Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby onetimeonly95 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:03 pm

Will it be a TTT?

User avatar
baboon309
Posts: 341
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby baboon309 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:03 pm

No.

a TTTT

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby darknightbegins » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:46 pm

Yeah I'm curious about this myself. The only public law school in the state. I could see the state really trying to push it and improve it in the years to come. But TTT seems likely.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby Kohinoor » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:51 pm

Dartmouth Law will def be in the top 20 in my lifetime.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby darknightbegins » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:58 pm

Kohinoor wrote:Dartmouth Law will def be in the top 20 in my lifetime.


Wwwhhaat? Top 20? What makes you this confident?

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby hiromoto45 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:03 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Dartmouth Law will def be in the top 20 in my lifetime.


Wwwhhaat? Top 20? What makes you this confident?


I think he means Dartmouth the Ivy League school which doesn't have a law school as a joke.

User avatar
darknightbegins
Posts: 673
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby darknightbegins » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:16 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:Dartmouth Law will def be in the top 20 in my lifetime.


Wwwhhaat? Top 20? What makes you this confident?


I think he means Dartmouth the Ivy League school which doesn't have a law school as a joke.


Ah, in that case, Princeton Law should crack the T14.

User avatar
OneSixtySix
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:40 am

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby OneSixtySix » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:33 pm

I am so upset at this decision.

UMass-Dartmouth is a mediocre state school to begin with, and the law school they took over was unaccredited and just absolutely pathetic.

Massachusetts deserves a public law school, but does no good by putting forth a T4.

Plus they should have waited for it to be feasible to start a law school in Amherst where the actual UMass is.

User avatar
soullesswonder
Posts: 553
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby soullesswonder » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:50 pm

protip: any school that has explicitly justified its existence as a revenue-generator for the rest of the university system is probably not a good school.

"UMass Dartmouth chancellor Jean MacCormack had previously laid out plans that said the public law school would operate free of taxpayer dollars and eventually funnel millions into UMass Dartmouth and the state through expanded enrollment. Officials have estimated that the school would grow from 235 students to 559 by 2017."

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/umass-trustees-approve-plan-for-public-law-school/

User avatar
TTH
Posts: 10380
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 1:14 am

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby TTH » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:14 pm

soullesswonder wrote:protip: any school that has explicitly justified its existence as a revenue-generator for the rest of the university system is probably not a good school.

"UMass Dartmouth chancellor Jean MacCormack had previously laid out plans that said the public law school would operate free of taxpayer dollars and eventually funnel millions into UMass Dartmouth and the state through expanded enrollment. Officials have estimated that the school would grow from 235 students to 559 by 2017."

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/umass-trustees-approve-plan-for-public-law-school/


Lulz @ practicing law in Massachusetts.

DarkPhantom
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:45 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby DarkPhantom » Thu May 06, 2010 3:31 pm

Seeing as this was one of the back up schools - probably better to just wait and re-apply than to attend this school?

User avatar
summerstar
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:40 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby summerstar » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 am

TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby Veyron » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:47 pm

Not as high as Princettton Law.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:12 pm

darknightbegins wrote:The only public law school in the state.

I can never understand why people think this matters. The public/private distinction doesn't really matter much in the law school context; if this school places worse than Northeastern, BC, and BU, and costs nearly the same (which ultimately it will), then there's no real advantage to it.

Yes, they're promising it'll be cheaper, but really, by how much? If it's $10K/yr cheaper you're still looking at $25-30K/yr in tuition and $20K/yr in COL expenses; you've ultimately got a debt load over $100K after three years anyway. That's far too much for public service, which is going to be where this school is trying to place people.

Public/private doesn't matter, and given the high minimum that tuition would have to be, saving money doesn't matter much either. Being public doesn't really matter at all from a practical standpoint. Given how tuition at the top "public" law schools has risen to match their private peers, it really doesn't matter anywhere.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Yet they continue to play this marketing game, and people are falling for it.

User avatar
im_blue
Posts: 3276
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:53 am

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:The only public law school in the state.

I can never understand why people think this matters. The public/private distinction doesn't really matter much in the law school context; if this school places worse than Northeastern, BC, and BU, and costs nearly the same (which ultimately it will), then there's no real advantage to it.

Yes, they're promising it'll be cheaper, but really, by how much? If it's $10K/yr cheaper you're still looking at $25-30K/yr in tuition and $20K/yr in COL expenses; you've ultimately got a debt load over $100K after three years anyway. That's far too much for public service, which is going to be where this school is trying to place people.

Public/private doesn't matter, and given the high minimum that tuition would have to be, saving money doesn't matter much either. Being public doesn't really matter at all from a practical standpoint. Given how tuition at the top "public" law schools has risen to match their private peers, it really doesn't matter anywhere.

People mistakenly assume that publics are cheaper and more accessible to applicants with weaker numbers.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby 20160810 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:44 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:The only public law school in the state.

I can never understand why people think this matters. The public/private distinction doesn't really matter much in the law school context; if this school places worse than Northeastern, BC, and BU, and costs nearly the same (which ultimately it will), then there's no real advantage to it.

Yes, they're promising it'll be cheaper, but really, by how much? If it's $10K/yr cheaper you're still looking at $25-30K/yr in tuition and $20K/yr in COL expenses; you've ultimately got a debt load over $100K after three years anyway. That's far too much for public service, which is going to be where this school is trying to place people.

Public/private doesn't matter, and given the high minimum that tuition would have to be, saving money doesn't matter much either. Being public doesn't really matter at all from a practical standpoint. Given how tuition at the top "public" law schools has risen to match their private peers, it really doesn't matter anywhere.

Eh, it matters at lower-ranked publics who actually keep their tuition low (Texas Tech, etc.)

MVPson
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:11 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby MVPson » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:49 pm

This flame, right?

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby 005618502 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:05 pm

MVPson wrote:This flame, right?


i hope so

davidtothej05
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby davidtothej05 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:37 pm

Its kinda silly anyways, Mass residents as is can get a deep discount at both Maine and Conn, both very affordable "state" schools.

And Roger Williams is like, a mile away

User avatar
MrKappus
Posts: 1685
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:46 am

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby MrKappus » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:44 pm

soullesswonder wrote:protip: any school that has explicitly justified its existence as a revenue-generator for the rest of the university system is probably not a good school.

"UMass Dartmouth chancellor Jean MacCormack had previously laid out plans that said the public law school would operate free of taxpayer dollars and eventually funnel millions into UMass Dartmouth and the state through expanded enrollment. Officials have estimated that the school would grow from 235 students to 559 by 2017."

http://abovethelaw.com/2009/12/umass-trustees-approve-plan-for-public-law-school/


I'm amazed that university officials actually branded the school this way. Are they aware that, for it to generate revenue, law students have to want to attend? Then again, I guess if the choice is to offend fiscal hawks criticizing the law school's opening, or clueless law students that will continue to apply in record numbers even if you promise to build the school out of human excrement, it's probably better to offend the latter.

concurrent fork
Posts: 669
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby concurrent fork » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:14 pm

Good - MA needs more law schools. Only 75% of our starbucks baristas have JDs.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:34 pm

MrKappus wrote:clueless law students... will continue to apply in record numbers even if you promise to build the school out of human excrement....

12262010
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby 12262010 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:55 pm

just what we need

005618502
Posts: 2577
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: Where will UMASS-Dartmouth law be ranked?

Postby 005618502 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:17 pm

concurrent fork wrote:Good - MA needs more law schools. Only 75% of our starbucks baristas have JDs.


lol




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a male human, General_Tso, lonola, zot1 and 5 guests