Miami 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
nightlight
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:20 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby nightlight » Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 am

grobbelski wrote:Do you ever partake in any of the mindfulness seminars I have heard about? Do many people buy into that and is it a generally accepted part of the atmosphere at UM?

Grobbelski!! Are you coming to UM??

I signed up for one of the mindfulness seminars in the fall; this particular one was an 8-week series for 1Ls. The guy who runs the program, Scott Rogers, demonstrates meditation techniques and other "tricks" that allegedly increase mindfulness. The goal is to eliminate distractions, reduce stress, and increase your ability to remain focused in class and while studying. The sessions were once a week and pretty relaxing, if you like that sort of thing. Some of my male friends thought he was a fruity freak. It all depends. Ultimately, I ended up getting so stressed and overwhelmed with school that I stopped going. Ironic, eh? The sessions were 2 hours and the timing was poor for my schedule... I felt so bad for quitting on little Scotty.

Most of the mindfulness seminars are one-time events and not part of the 1L series. I haven't been to any of them, but I'd wager that they are very similar.

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Gatriel » Thu May 13, 2010 10:32 am

Hey-

Thanks for the response!

Perhaps I'll see you this August.

--Garrett

cwest131
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:26 am

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby cwest131 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:30 pm

How is the campus ( post some pics if u can ), and how is social scene.

cwest131
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:26 am

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby cwest131 » Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 pm

Whats your typical week workload? I know it must defer every week but how many hours, do you spend your studies, everyweek.
how is your exprience been so fall, of The University and of Law studies.

If your are going to be there in Fall 2011, I will see you there.

dialectic
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby dialectic » Sat May 29, 2010 12:52 pm

Hold up, do they force you to buy books on campus the first semester?

hatteras1
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby hatteras1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:52 am

dialectic wrote:Hold up, do they force you to buy books on campus the first semester?


I don't believe so. I think you just have that option-- and you have an option to buy the used books through the previous students on campus as well. At least that's the feeling I got. Anyone else hear differently?

User avatar
Canarsie
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Canarsie » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:59 pm

Would you say most of the graduated students found jobs? And not just any job, but jobs in the legal profession with a good salary (define as you will). Are most of them in the Miami area? Which school(s) produces the most competition in the area?

Thanks!

lovelylegal
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby lovelylegal » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:31 pm

Housing options?

User avatar
Canarsie
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Canarsie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:14 am

Would you say having a car is an essential?

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:30 pm

ashnicole wrote:Would you say having a car is an essential?


Not OP, but I did my undergrad there... and the answer is YES.

User avatar
Canarsie
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Canarsie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:42 pm

keg411 wrote:
ashnicole wrote:Would you say having a car is an essential?


Not OP, but I did my undergrad there... and the answer is YES.


This is what I figured about Miami in general. Slight issue considering I share a car with my sister at the moment...

User avatar
Canarsie
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Canarsie » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:18 pm

I've noticed a lot of students receive a scholarship of ~23,000 a year. Are there are any grade requirements to keep this? Do most people keep it?

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby summoner » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:06 pm

People get their scholarships stripped pretty quickly after 1L year. I paid full sticker, and could have kept a scholarship if I had it. And Miami is a brutal legal market right now, I was unemployed for a year down there, and that was with bar membership and a year and a half at a very well known litigation boutique firm.

User avatar
Canarsie
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Canarsie » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:01 pm

summoner wrote:People get their scholarships stripped pretty quickly after 1L year. I paid full sticker, and could have kept a scholarship if I had it. And Miami is a brutal legal market right now, I was unemployed for a year down there, and that was with bar membership and a year and a half at a very well known litigation boutique firm.


What are the requirements to keep scholarships? I read the Miami Scholars requirement was 3.0. Would you say this is hard to keep up each semester?

Thanks.

miamilaw33
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby miamilaw33 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Canarsie wrote:
summoner wrote:People get their scholarships stripped pretty quickly after 1L year. I paid full sticker, and could have kept a scholarship if I had it. And Miami is a brutal legal market right now, I was unemployed for a year down there, and that was with bar membership and a year and a half at a very well known litigation boutique firm.


What are the requirements to keep scholarships? I read the Miami Scholars requirement was 3.0. Would you say this is hard to keep up each semester?

Thanks.


I just finished up my 1L year at UM and I would say that maintaining above a 3.0 GPA is definitely feasible. In fact, most of my friends achieved 3.2's or higher. The only people I know who fell below a 3.0 literally slacked off the entire year/semester and didn't deserve to do better. If you put in the hours, you should definitely be able to maintain a 3.0.

miamilaw33
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby miamilaw33 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:45 pm

hatteras1 wrote:
dialectic wrote:Hold up, do they force you to buy books on campus the first semester?


I don't believe so. I think you just have that option-- and you have an option to buy the used books through the previous students on campus as well. At least that's the feeling I got. Anyone else hear differently?


There are 2 bookstores that are typically recommended: the campus bookstore and book horizons (just off of campus). I purchased my first semester books at book horizons simply because it was close and I could begin my assignments right away. However, I would suggest ordering your books online, especially if you are not particular about used/marked-up books. You will save a TON of money this way. You also have the option of buying used books from previous students. I personally will be buying all of my books online from now on.

User avatar
Canarsie
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Canarsie » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:32 pm

Any general comments on the employment status of recent grads? Summer associate positions? (Specific to U of Miami obviously)

summoner
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:00 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby summoner » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

miamilaw33 wrote:
Canarsie wrote:
summoner wrote:People get their scholarships stripped pretty quickly after 1L year. I paid full sticker, and could have kept a scholarship if I had it. And Miami is a brutal legal market right now, I was unemployed for a year down there, and that was with bar membership and a year and a half at a very well known litigation boutique firm.


What are the requirements to keep scholarships? I read the Miami Scholars requirement was 3.0. Would you say this is hard to keep up each semester?

Thanks.


I just finished up my 1L year at UM and I would say that maintaining above a 3.0 GPA is definitely feasible. In fact, most of my friends achieved 3.2's or higher. The only people I know who fell below a 3.0 literally slacked off the entire year/semester and didn't deserve to do better. If you put in the hours, you should definitely be able to maintain a 3.0.


My experience was the opposite; I knew people who killed themselves and could not break 3.0. I slacked off every semester myself, and finished above 3.2 but a lot of it is complete luck and whether you have a knack for the material.

User avatar
dukivich10
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 am

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby dukivich10 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:14 pm

I was talking to a Miami alum, and he said he was under the impression that the law school was moving downtown. Has anyone else heard this rumor?

User avatar
Albatross
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:30 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Albatross » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Are you a guido?

User avatar
dukivich10
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:45 am

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby dukivich10 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 am

Nope...not sure how that applies. Does anyone have anything constructive to add to my question??

shaggy2jope
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:07 am

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby shaggy2jope » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:56 am

What are the chances of getting housing within walking distance (even up to a mile away works for me) of the law school?

I'm from way out of town (PA), so if I do attend in the future, what would be the best way to go about finding housing prior to 1L?

nickbentley
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:21 pm

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby nickbentley » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:28 pm

dukivich10 wrote:I was talking to a Miami alum, and he said he was under the impression that the law school was moving downtown. Has anyone else heard this rumor?


bump! I want to know too...

Bgiv
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:59 am

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby Bgiv » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:52 pm

dukivich10 wrote:I was talking to a Miami alum, and he said he was under the impression that the law school was moving downtown. Has anyone else heard this rumor?


Negative, not true. I'm a 1L there now and this is definitely not happening

jsimp
Posts: 25
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:53 am

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby jsimp » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:13 am

What are the housing options? How much should you plan on spending for rent? How close are housing options to campus?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative and 10 guests