Miami 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
GTLAWSCHOOL

Re: Miami 1L taking questions

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:06 pm

Hi, and thank you for taking questions. What is the housing situation? do many law students live in a certain area or is it kind of mixed all over?

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:09 pm

No, I mean holding a job that provides an income/paycheck. However, you cannot give legal advice either.

An ABA rule states: "A student may not work in excess of 20 hours per week while attending school on a full time basis."

However, I know also that first year law students are not allowed to hold a job per ABA standards winin their first year. I wish I could find a link to it but it has to do with the school adhering to NALP guidelines.

If you're curious, ask whatever schools you're applying to but most do not allow you to hold a job from my understanding. No one I know holds a job of any sort in my section.

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:11 pm

Housing:

People live all over. Main areas for 1Ls are Coral Gables (nearest to campus), Kendall, Coconut Gove, and Brickell (closest to the water). But almost everyone I know ended up in a building with at least one other law student. If you're thinking about coming and have questions about specific areas, PM me and I'd be more than happy to share my insight.

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:15 pm

Summer Employment:

I have friends working at various District Court of Appeals, judicial internships, working at the PDs office, State Attorney's Office, and firms around the country. However, the majority of my classmates have not secured/finalized a job. We did just return from Spring Break. A lot of employers make decisions in April even if they interview in February. Also, a lot of people choose to do the study abroad program for the summer. We have great programs throughout Europe and Asia. I'm sure you can find information on that from the school's website though so I won't bore you with those details.

GTLAWSCHOOL

Postby GTLAWSCHOOL » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:23 pm

Bailey your a great spokes person for the university lol they should hire you. Will you be in attendance at the Law day for admitted students?

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:10 pm

It depends. I should be around though.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:13 pm

baileyxx wrote:It depends. I should be around though.

Is that your puppy?

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:22 pm

Nope. My dog looks significantly less crazy than this one.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 pm

I was just accepted to FIU and am on hold at UM...any differences or similarities you may find significant. I would appreciate some insight.

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 pm

Unfortunately, I did not apply to FIU and I never visited or researched into it so I can't offer any insight into their specific program. However if you have something you know about FIU that you would like to know if Miami has or doesn't have I'd be more than happy to answer.

lawschoolgiant

Postby lawschoolgiant » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:48 pm

baileyxx wrote:Unfortunately, I did not apply to FIU and I never visited or researched into it so I can't offer any insight into their specific program. However if you have something you know about FIU that you would like to know if Miami has or doesn't have I'd be more than happy to answer.

I am going to have to take out loans seeing as I am pretty much broke. The discrepancy in tuition is huge. Do you know anything about the need based aid...or any scholarship that inst merit based. Maybe public interest scholarships of some kind. Thank you for your time.

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:53 pm

From what I've heard merit based has been given all out (last year they ran out in December the year I applied). Need based is based on FASFA from what I understand. However, after 1L year you can get scholarships if you rank high enough in the class.

StoneontaState

Postby StoneontaState » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:41 pm

baileyxx wrote: I think that the description TLS makes is ANYTHING but accurate.

Phew, thanks for clearing that up. Miami is one of my top 3 choices and after doing a lot of research it looks more and more likely every day that I will be going there. That review on TLS made me a little nervous though.

Also, since you aren't allowed to work as a 1L, do you know anything about student loans covering transportation such as gas for your vehicle? I can't imagine not having a weekly paycheck and being able to put $50 a week in my truck's tank.

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:33 pm

Did you prep at all in the summer before you started (primers, etc.) I have heard good and bad things about doing that. . .

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:09 pm

Absolutely do NOT prepare. The only thing I may suggest doing is reading Getting to Maybe. Also if you know you're coming to Miami, one Civ Pro class has you read The Buffalo Creek Disaster and A Civil Action. If you know you're coming it wouldn't hurt to knock one (or both) of them out over the summer. I read a Civil Action. They're not bad reads but when you're getting into the swing of law school, not having to read a 500 page book on top of assignments for the week takes some stress off. Otherwise your preparation should be settling into your new area and enjoying the sun and the time you have to do nothing because it will be your last summer off, enjoy it!

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:16 am

baileyxx wrote:Absolutely do NOT prepare. The only thing I may suggest doing is reading Getting to Maybe. Also if you know you're coming to Miami, one Civ Pro class has you read The Buffalo Creek Disaster and A Civil Action. If you know you're coming it wouldn't hurt to knock one (or both) of them out over the summer. I read a Civil Action. They're not bad reads but when you're getting into the swing of law school, not having to read a 500 page book on top of assignments for the week takes some stress off. Otherwise your preparation should be settling into your new area and enjoying the sun and the time you have to do nothing because it will be your last summer off, enjoy it!

To clarify, no matter what section you are in The Buffalo Creek Disaster and A Civil Action are required?? I will definitely get started if that's the case :)!

baileyxx

Postby baileyxx » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:21 pm

No, it does depends on what section you're in.

actorlaw

Postby actorlaw » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Have any of your fellow 1L's commented whether or not they were admitted after being put on-hold?

Like some of the other posters, I'm still on-hold at Miami. I spoked with them the other day and they said the committee was meeting and we should hear something between April 15-30.

Given the sharp increase in applicants and the number attending, is it realistic to think that they may still admit some of those who have been put on-hold?

I've already sent additional materials and letters of recommendation... So just holding out for a response.

trialjunky

Postby trialjunky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 am

Has the recent jump in rankings created any new buzz/activity on campus?

How is the new dean?

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sun May 02, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm considering Miami, gonna try to fly down there week after next or so, to get a better feel for things.

How is Coral Gables?

How is the Law Library?

How does UMLaw deal with Hurricanes? Postpone class, online class, screw it and go through it?

Places to live around UM? Affordable?

Do they dole out merit scholarships after your first year?

Thanks!

grobbelski

Postby grobbelski » Sun May 02, 2010 9:30 pm

Do you ever partake in any of the mindfulness seminars I have heard about? Do many people buy into that and is it a generally accepted part of the atmosphere at UM?

Andreeai

Postby Andreeai » Thu May 06, 2010 6:34 pm

How much do you spend on books per semester?

nightlight

Postby nightlight » Thu May 13, 2010 1:04 am

actorlaw wrote:Have any of your fellow 1L's commented whether or not they were admitted after being put on-hold?

People generally don't compare admissions stories, LSAT scores, or scholarships. Once we're in, we're in. I feel like that kind of discussion would lend itself to a more competitive vibe, which is generally looked down upon 'round these parts. ;)

I'm sorry if that wasn't the answer you were looking for, but good luck. Keep in contact with the admissions office and proofread every email at least five times.

Andreeai wrote:How much do you spend on books per semester?

This varies widely. I almost cried in the fall when my tab came to well over $1,000. And then, to rub salt in my wound, I had to walk for what seemed like forever in the August heat carrying my overpriced, half-ton load. Sucky afternoon.

The bright side: I made a killing selling them all on Amazon at the end of the semester. DO THIS. DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT SEMESTER IS ABOUT TO BEGIN. Also, after the first semester, you'll have access to book lists ahead of time. You'll know which supplements work for you and which ones were a waste. I bought everything for spring on Amazon, as soon as fall finals were over, and cut my tab down to about $450.

nightlight

Postby nightlight » Thu May 13, 2010 1:29 am

trialjunky wrote:Has the recent jump in rankings created any new buzz/activity on campus?

How is the new dean?

I would say the rankings bump was well-received. :D We work hard, we're proud of our school, and that kind of acknowledgment is great for boosting morale throughout the student body and faculty. It wasn't a huge deal, but I did see several spirited facebook status updates. On the other hand, there are plenty of people who could care less about the rankings and didn't consider USNews at all in their decision.

Personally, I was stoked to see that our tax ranking enjoyed a similar boost. :mrgreen:

The new dean, Dean White, is AWESOME. Period. She came in with her sleeves rolled up and ready to get down to business. Dean White sought a lot of feedback about student concerns, eradicated useless/unfair policies, hired additional faculty members, launched a new externship program, gave common areas a face lift, froze tuition for the next school year, decreased summer tuition, and made non-JD classes more accessible. She sends periodic updates about her progress and new initiatives. She is friendly, visible around campus, and exhibits genuine concern for students and the school.
Love her.

nightlight

Postby nightlight » Thu May 13, 2010 1:48 am

Gatriel wrote:How is Coral Gables?

How is the Law Library?

How does UMLaw deal with Hurricanes? Postpone class, online class, screw it and go through it?

Places to live around UM? Affordable?

Do they dole out merit scholarships after your first year?

Thanks!

Gables is one of the nicer neighborhoods in Miami. It is expensive, pretty, and has some incredibly idiotic policies. Half of the street signs are little concrete nubs on the ground (for aesthetic reasons), which can make it damn near impossible to navigate through an unfamiliar area.

Law Library is five floors, tons of desks/tables, open till 12am during the semester and 3am during finals. We could use more carrels with outlets. Ample study rooms. Wireless printing. Helpful IT office on the first floor; extremely helpful if you are female. Nobody steals books. Sometimes I think the main stairwell is smelly. If you need a break from the law library (as I often do), the undergrad library is right next to the law school. Open until 2am during the semester and 24 hours during finals. The second floor is great, as are "The Stacks." Others seek refuge in the music library, which is also adjacent to the law school. Shorter hours. I highly recommend checking them all out.

Hurricanes. We didn't have any this year, so I can't say for certain. UM is not going to hold class if a hurricane is imminent, especially considering that so many of students/faculty members live in evacuation zones. I imagine the school would cancel classes and hold make-ups afterward.

Places to live. This is discussed in detail in another UM thread.

Schollys. Pretty sure you'll see some dough if you finish in the top 10%.
Last edited by nightlight on Thu May 13, 2010 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”