U of Arizona question

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
atfarmer

U of Arizona question

Postby atfarmer » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:52 pm

I read in Princeton Review's top 106 (or whatever number) law schools that the faculty at Arizona was exceptionally liberal and that other political opinions weren't really welcome. Can anybody comment on this? to add a disclaimer, i read this on google books, so it was the 04-05 edition.

quickquestionthanks

Re: U of Arizona question

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:03 am

atfarmer wrote:I read in Princeton Review's top 106 (or whatever number) law schools that the faculty at Arizona was exceptionally liberal and that other political opinions weren't really welcome. Can anybody comment on this? to add a disclaimer, i read this on google books, so it was the 04-05 edition.

Tucson in general is very liberal, mostly stemming from the University of Arizona being the dominant political force in town. Countervailing opinions are rarely welcome in liberal educational environments. I would be shocked if the law faculty were not quite left leaning.

sophistry

Postby sophistry » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:33 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Countervailing opinions are rarely welcome in liberal educational environments.

:roll:

atfarmer wrote:I read in Princeton Review's top 106 (or whatever number) law schools that the faculty at Arizona was exceptionally liberal and that other political opinions weren't really welcome. Can anybody comment on this? to add a disclaimer, i read this on google books, so it was the 04-05 edition.

If it means anything, the current Princeton Review does not list U of A as one of the "top 10 most liberal" or "top 10 most conservative students." Frankly, I think it's absurd that anything in Arizona, of all places, would be accused of being too liberal. My mother, and my current roommate, both went to U of A. They described the general student body as leaning slightly to the right (but with a good mix of every type). At least for undergrad, they described the professors as being good academics, i.e., not pushing or prohibiting political options unless they were incongruent with facts. Unless you're a flat-earther, you'll be fine.

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:32 am

sophistry wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:Countervailing opinions are rarely welcome in liberal educational environments.

darknightbegins

Postby darknightbegins » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:51 am

Most law schools at least lean to the left. Of course their are exceptions, but usually law schools attract professors and students that lean more left than right. No clue about how liberal U of A is though. I suggest you research the faculty there and see what they write about. Shouldn't be too difficult to figure it out from there.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”