Duke Housing Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NY88

New

Duke Housing

Post by NY88 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:42 am

Is it possible to function at Duke without a car? Is there any good housing within walking distance to the law school? Or say a 5 minute bus ride? I know there is on campus housing for graduate students but it is extremely limited.
Thanks for any help.

insidethetwenty

Bronze

Re: Duke Housing

Post by insidethetwenty » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:46 am

NY88 wrote:Is it possible to function at Duke without a car? Is there any good housing within walking distance to the law school? Or say a 5 minute bus ride? I know there is on campus housing for graduate students but it is extremely limited.
Thanks for any help.
Paging Dr. Presidentv...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:57 am

Get a Car. If you really cannot get one for some inexplicable reason, the only apartment complex I know of in walking distance is The Lofts. Everything else needs a car.

mixitup

New

Post by mixitup » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm an undergrad at Duke, so I'm not 100% about grad student housing situations; however, I do know of a couple places grad students live that do not necessarily need a car. Station Nine is right near ninth street. Just across the street from them is Erwin Mill Apartments (teaming with VERY loud undergrads...don't even consider this place) where there are also some Duke offices so a bus stops there every 30 minutes til 6pm and is within walking distance.

Lofts are also a good option. West Village is good too (a few undergrads live here, but so do some young families as well as grad students) and it is very close to campus.

All in all though, as an undergrad a car has not been crucial for me...if all I want to do is stay on campus, which as an undergrad is normally what we do. However, I think as a grad student here I would DEFINITELY want a car. If you get an apt close to campus it will be nice so you dont have to worry about parking on campus; however, after hours (The law library is open 24 hours) you'll definitely want your car there because the buses that do run to these places stop running and walking is not a good idea. Plus Durham public transportation isn't that extensive. You can get by with it, but I have never used it because its certainly not as convenient as in any actual city.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”