University of San Diego School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Lotario de Conti

New

Re: University of San Diego School of Law

Post by Lotario de Conti » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:06 pm

I'm going to the ASD on 6 April, anyone else?
annapavlova wrote:I've been complete since early mid-November.

This is really annoying.
If they are generally quite quick at evaluating applications, one would think that a long delay is more a good thing than a bad thing. At least they don't want to discard you!

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:24 am

wildcats12 wrote:anyone going to the admitted students day on April 20th?

would love to if I were admitted

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:42 am

anyone know how the housing bust has affected the rental market here? Is COL significantly lower than it was a few years ago?

dan123456

New

Post by dan123456 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:09 am

Jones, Dow wrote:anyone know how the housing bust has affected the rental market here? Is COL significantly lower than it was a few years ago?
Great question any one living in SD have any idea?

SandyCohen

New

Post by SandyCohen » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:33 pm

San Diego maintains a high cost of living and seems to be relatively unaffected by the current economic situation. Even though there appears to be a small increase in rentals on the market, prices continue to remain high. A lot of USD students reside in Pacific Beach where rent tends to be higher than most areas. On the up side, bars are offering better deals :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:06 pm

I went to the Admitted Students Day last Monday at USD and I had mixed reviews about the program as a whole. The campus was beautiful, it was the most well maintained place I have seen, but the law facilities were less than impressive. Both the law library and the school of law were very dated and seemed right out of the 1970's. This is not of huge concern but for the price and looking at the surrounding buildings I expected more from USD. The program looked strong in several areas such as tax law but the career prospects seem extremely shaky. USD does not place well outside of the San Diego area (this is according to several faculty members I spoke with) mainly due to a lack of name recognition and a sparse alumni base outside San Diego. These same faculty members also informed me that schools like USC and UCLA receive the lions share of Big law jobs in san diego. San Diego seems to be a really small legal market with stiff competition and high cost of living. Hearing my fears echoed in the faculty and student body first hand has given me serious doubts about the school. I went in with it being my first choice and I left with it being out of the running, which is unfortunate because I had very high hopes. :cry:

EBrown1

New

Post by EBrown1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:43 pm

Dissapointed, just had a talk with admissions, here's what I learned:

*with 5,000 applicants, it's difficult to get decisions to everyone by april and there's a lot of people concerned with 04/01 deposits, but they will just have to wait until May.

How refreshing, thanks for your help and for, you know, checking on my individual file. Way to respond to my concern.

..not.

I think i'm just feeling dejected (while waiting on 5 schools) and need a hug.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:01 pm

EBrown1 wrote:Dissapointed, just had a talk with admissions, here's what I learned:

*with 5,000 applicants, it's difficult to get decisions to everyone by april and there's a lot of people concerned with 04/01 deposits, but they will just have to wait until May.

How refreshing, thanks for your help and for, you know, checking on my individual file. Way to respond to my concern.

..not.

There's no "hug" option on this thing, but I'm giving you a mental one. I totally hear ya. I'm getting no love from the Pacific Northwest, and I want to knooooow before seat deposits are due everywhere else, DAMNIT! Now off to check my email to see if my whining has one me any accepts.

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:12 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:I went to the Admitted Students Day last Monday at USD and I had mixed reviews about the program as a whole. The campus was beautiful, it was the most well maintained place I have seen, but the law facilities were less than impressive. Both the law library and the school of law were very dated and seemed right out of the 1970's. This is not of huge concern but for the price and looking at the surrounding buildings I expected more from USD. The program looked strong in several areas such as tax law but the career prospects seem extremely shaky. USD does not place well outside of the San Diego area (this is according to several faculty members I spoke with) mainly due to a lack of name recognition and a sparse alumni base outside San Diego. These same faculty members also informed me that schools like USC and UCLA receive the lions share of Big Law jobs in San Diego. San Diego seems to be a really small legal market with stiff competition and high cost of living. Hearing my fears echoed in the faculty and student body first hand has given me serious doubts about the school. I went in with it being my first choice and I left with it being out of the running, which is unfortunate because I had very high hopes. :cry:
Thanks for posting this, TheRyanocerous. I was quite high on USD for a long time leading up to being accepted, but accounts like these, of which there seem to be far too many, have really knocked it down my list as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wildcats12

New

Post by wildcats12 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:13 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:I went to the Admitted Students Day last Monday at USD and I had mixed reviews about the program as a whole. The campus was beautiful, it was the most well maintained place I have seen, but the law facilities were less than impressive. Both the law library and the school of law were very dated and seemed right out of the 1970's. This is not of huge concern but for the price and looking at the surrounding buildings I expected more from USD. The program looked strong in several areas such as tax law but the career prospects seem extremely shaky. USD does not place well outside of the San Diego area (this is according to several faculty members I spoke with) mainly due to a lack of name recognition and a sparse alumni base outside San Diego. These same faculty members also informed me that schools like USC and UCLA receive the lions share of Big Law jobs in San Diego. San Diego seems to be a really small legal market with stiff competition and high cost of living. Hearing my fears echoed in the faculty and student body first hand has given me serious doubts about the school. I went in with it being my first choice and I left with it being out of the running, which is unfortunate because I had very high hopes. :cry:
what did you think of the student body and the other admitted students?

Jones, Dow

Bronze

Post by Jones, Dow » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:13 pm

cmaho9qy wrote:
EBrown1 wrote:Dissapointed, just had a talk with admissions, here's what I learned:

..not.

There's no "hug" option on this thing, but I'm giving you a mental one. I totally hear ya. I'm getting no love from the Pacific Northwest, and I want to knooooow before seat deposits are due everywhere else, DAMNIT! Now off to check my email to see if my whining has one me any accepts.
Forget just the Pacific NW, I applied to 9 schools west of Kansas and I haven't heard from ANY of them!!!

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:19 pm

cmaho9qy wrote:

..not.

Edit: "one"??? oh no... no wonder I'm not getting any love from the Pacific Northwest.

TheRyanocerous

Bronze

Post by TheRyanocerous » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:42 pm

wildcats12 wrote:
The admitted students that I hung out with all had the same concerns I did and were not all that impressed with the program. That being said, I thought they were all pretty cool, but the ones I connected with probably are not going there. I did not get along with the local SD people all that well and they seemed to be the ones most interested in the program. The student body was a mixed bag, and seemed fairly typical of any law school. Granted, I did not get to talk to them in any sort of informal setting like I did the admitted students so I am not sure what they are like on a personal level.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:08 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:
wildcats12 wrote:
The admitted students that I hung out with all had the same concerns I did and were not all that impressed with the program. That being said, I thought they were all pretty cool, but the ones I connected with probably are not going there. I did not get along with the local SD people all that well and they seemed to be the ones most interested in the program. The student body was a mixed bag, and seemed fairly typical of any law school. Granted, I did not get to talk to them in any sort of informal setting like I did the admitted students so I am not sure what they are like on a personal level.
Thanks for posting all of this... very good insight for those of us too stretched for time and money to make it to the ASD. This is the general feeling that I am getting about USD, which is really too bad because boy would I love to go to school in San Diego (or at least I think I would).

While I'm at it, maybe someone on this board has some insight on this: So far I've been accepted to Idaho, Denver, and San Diego. I've already declined on Idaho and I'm waiting to hear from L&C (second review with not much space left, I'm told), Oregon, and Seattle. Assuming that I don't get in to any of the schools I haven't heard from (or at least assuming that I don't hear from them by April 10th when DU's seat deposit is due), I'm leaning toward putting my deposit down at Denver over San Diego. Job prospects seem similar, the cost is lower (tuition and COL), and I think I'm more likely to want to spend a bunch of years directly following LS in Denver than in San Diego. Any thoughts? Good idea? Horrible idea?

Thanks in advance!

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:30 pm

cmaho9qy wrote: While I'm at it, maybe someone on this board has some insight on this: So far I've been accepted to Idaho, Denver, and San Diego. I've already declined on Idaho and I'm waiting to hear from L&C (second review with not much space left, I'm told), Oregon, and Seattle. Assuming that I don't get in to any of the schools I haven't heard from (or at least assuming that I don't hear from them by April 10th when DU's seat deposit is due), I'm leaning toward putting my deposit down at Denver over San Diego. Job prospects seem similar, the cost is lower (tuition and COL), and I think I'm more likely to want to spend a bunch of years directly following LS in Denver than in San Diego. Any thoughts? Good idea? Horrible idea?

Thanks in advance!
How does it feel to you though? I think Denver is a good regional school with good connections to its city, but that bar passage rate makes me cringe.

miniskirtz

New

Post by miniskirtz » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Hello, I am also considering USD, but I am turned off by the high price tag. I currently live in Phoenix, and some local attorneys here have told me that the school is reflected upon well here in the AZ job market, so don't lose hope completely that you won't find a job. You just may not find one Cali, but there are other markets that would find you very hireable.

dan123456

New

Post by dan123456 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks for sharing. Did anyone else have the opportunity to attend the ASD at San Diego? Any thoughts on it would be great.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:44 am

Lotario de Conti wrote:
cmaho9qy wrote: While I'm at it, maybe someone on this board has some insight on this: So far I've been accepted to Idaho, Denver, and San Diego. I've already declined on Idaho and I'm waiting to hear from L&C (second review with not much space left, I'm told), Oregon, and Seattle. Assuming that I don't get in to any of the schools I haven't heard from (or at least assuming that I don't hear from them by April 10th when DU's seat deposit is due), I'm leaning toward putting my deposit down at Denver over San Diego. Job prospects seem similar, the cost is lower (tuition and COL), and I think I'm more likely to want to spend a bunch of years directly following LS in Denver than in San Diego. Any thoughts? Good idea? Horrible idea?

Thanks in advance!
How does it feel to you though? I think Denver is a good regional school with good connections to its city, but that bar passage rate makes me cringe.
It makes me cringe too... although apparently their bar passage rate has gone up to something like 80% as of last year (according to someone who attended the ASD there). So if that's the case, it seems like they've made some pretty great strides.

mycousinvinny

New

Post by mycousinvinny » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:20 pm

Jones, Dow wrote:anyone know how the housing bust has affected the rental market here? Is COL significantly lower than it was a few years ago?

I live in SD and have been renting since 04. The rental market has not taken as hard of a hit as the home buying market. Oddly it is way cheaper to buy than rent, but being a student and not having an income may not be much of an option. A lot of students do live in the PB area, but that is a lot of UG students and it can be a bit trite after some time. Mission Valley is pretty close also, but has maintained its Mission Valley Rent Price Tag. A lot of people are starting to buy up forclosures and then renting them out because mortages are cheaper than rental rates. The one good thing is that gas is still under $3/gallon. Grocery stores still have the usual specials. I spend about 150 or so a month on groceries and go out to eat maybe twice a week. I dont go to USD myself but I am applying next cycle and hope to get in with some $$$. I am working full time right now so I am looking to buy a house while the getting is good still. But to answer your question the COL is not as bad or as low as people would think or want. The rental market is still strong here as most people have to rent after they are forclosed on. And one report has it that the housing market is recovering quicker in So Cal cause it hit us sooner than the rest of the nation

savagedm

Bronze

Post by savagedm » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:27 pm

did the USD app checker change before a decision was sent? Mine still says "In Committee"...

Lotario de Conti

New

Post by Lotario de Conti » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:39 pm

savagedm wrote:did the USD app checker change before a decision was sent? Mine still says "In Committee"...
Yes, mine said 'decision rendered' or something similar.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paulcaruso21

New

Post by paulcaruso21 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:20 pm

Fellow TLS posters,

Hey, my name is Paul and I am an avid reader of TLS. I am currently a sophomore student at Arizona State, majoring in Philosophy. I have an uncle that is a Professor of Law at USD, he is a director of one of the USD law centers as well. He did his undergrad at USD before attending Yale for LS. I am just wondering if this could have an impact on my admission to USD? I love the school and I am going to visit the campus, along with others in the So-Cal area, this summer. I kind of screwed up my freshman year and now am having to re-take a few classes to get my GPA back up. I expect to graduate with about a 3.1/3.2 at the very least and I will begin studying for LSAT this summer (taking it July 2010). I have always done great on tests similar to the LSAT, so I truly expect to get above a 166. I will be getting married in the San Diego area after my fiancee and I graduate in May 2011. I have also recently started an Animal Rescue Foundation in Arizona and hope to partner up with ARF (Tony LaRussa's [manager/coach of the St. Louis Cardinals] Animal Rescue Foundation) next fall to start an Arizona chapter, as they are based in the Bay Area. With all of these factors and my desire to pursue a career in Crimal Defense and Animal Rights (pro bono work) in the San Diego area, would it help me in getting accepted into USD? Please answer honestly, especially about the fact of my uncle being a highly respected law professor and alumni there.

Thanks a lot guys!

YanksFanUSD

New

Post by YanksFanUSD » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:49 pm

TheRyanocerous wrote:I went to the Admitted Students Day last Monday at USD and I had mixed reviews about the program as a whole.
As a current 2L at USD, I felt the need to respond to your comments since I actually have experience with everything you discussed. I hope some of my insight can alleviate some concerns. I'd hate to see people give up on a school due to misinformation.

I'll address your comments subject by subject.
TheRyanocerous wrote:The campus was beautiful, it was the most well maintained place I have seen, but the law facilities were less than impressive. Both the law library and the school of law were very dated and seemed right out of the 1970's. This is not of huge concern but for the price and looking at the surrounding buildings I expected more from USD.

Indeed the campus is gorgeous. The law school buildings, however, are admittedly lacking on the inside. That said, over the past two years, the school has made efforts to improve the buildings where it can. The classrooms have all received new chairs, the law school main floor has been completely redone, and the library has seen the majority of the old wooden chairs replaced with new office desk chairs. There is still improvements that can, and will, be made, but even as it stands now, it's by no means a problem. You spend limited time in class itself, and the time you spend out of class can be spent anywhere on campus or San Diego for that matter. There are numerous beautiful places right on campus you can get your work done.
TheRyanocerous wrote:The program looked strong in several areas such as tax law but the career prospects seem extremely shaky. USD does not place well outside of the San Diego area (this is according to several faculty members I spoke with) mainly due to a lack of name recognition and a sparse alumni base outside San Diego.
This is where you have to be realistic. Unless you are a top 20 school candidate, most other schools, especially in the second tier will pose this problem. I considered attending schools ranked between 45-100 all over the country. The reach for all of them was the same as San Diego -- great in the area, but the further away you get, the less job prospects that exist. I know several students at other similarly ranked schools to USD and this has been confirmed in their job searches. At least USD is the strongest school, by far, in San Diego. Therefore, in SD you're going to have great job opportunities based on that fact alone.

Additionally, USD does reach up and down California. Personally, I am going to be working in the Bay Area this summer at a great firm. I got my job through USD. Oh, and I'm not in the top 10% of the class. I have other friends working in the Bay Area this summer, some in Vegas, others in D.C., and all over Orange County and LA.

My point is, despite the lack of a national reputation, which few, if any T2 schools have, USD places relatively well outside of SD.
TheRyanocerous wrote:These same faculty members also informed me that schools like USC and UCLA receive the lions share of Big Law jobs in San Diego.
Basically everyone I know in the top 10% of the class has a Big Firm job that wanted one. Obviously USC and UCLA will get a fair number of the Big Firm jobs in SD. If you think that isn't the case in any other big city, like NYC, SF, Chicago, LA, Miami, etc, you're being unrealistic. Big Firm jobs in any city are generally taken by the top 14 school students and then the top 5-10% of the local T2 school(s)'s students.

Again, your expectations need to be realistic. If your goal is Big Law, you either need to stick to the top schools or stay in the top of your class. I don't care what T2 you attend.
TheRyanocerous wrote:San Diego seems to be a really small legal market with stiff competition and high cost of living. Hearing my fears echoed in the faculty and student body first hand has given me serious doubts about the school. I went in with it being my first choice and I left with it being out of the running, which is unfortunate because I had very high hopes. :cry:
It is a small legal market. That said, the beauty of being in SD at the best SD law school is the opportunity to meet and network with local attorneys. Many people I know have done this and landed their summer jobs from it.

In addition, we have a job board (it's all online) where jobs are posted on a regular basis. Of course, this gives us first crack at lots of jobs in SD because many of these firms are looking for someone who can do some part-time work during the semester. This has led many people to summer and full-time post grad jobs as well. I got my part-time job for the semester using this resource and it could've turned into a summer position had I not chosen to move up north. Again, just another example of what kind of job prospects are out there.

I'm sure some people at USD are struggling to find summer jobs still. And I bet such is the case at almost any school in the country. That said, I can't speak for other schools, but of all my good friends at USD - up and down the rankings - only about two are still looking for jobs. Everyone else I know has already got something lined up.

Bottom line: if you attend USD and work hard enough, take advantage of some of the opportunities the school offers (i.e. moot court, clinics, law review, alumni events, etc.), you will succeed. I promise you. And you'll do so while going to law school in an environment that makes a really stressful time in your life enjoyable.

Good luck!

YanksFanUSD

New

Post by YanksFanUSD » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:02 pm

cmaho9qy wrote:While I'm at it, maybe someone on this board has some insight on this: So far I've been accepted to Idaho, Denver, and San Diego. I've already declined on Idaho and I'm waiting to hear from L&C (second review with not much space left, I'm told), Oregon, and Seattle. Assuming that I don't get in to any of the schools I haven't heard from (or at least assuming that I don't hear from them by April 10th when DU's seat deposit is due), I'm leaning toward putting my deposit down at Denver over San Diego. Job prospects seem similar, the cost is lower (tuition and COL), and I think I'm more likely to want to spend a bunch of years directly following LS in Denver than in San Diego. Any thoughts? Good idea? Horrible idea?

Thanks in advance!
Pick the school that will leave you with less debt at the end and in the area you are hoping to practice after law school. Neither school has great national placement, so while it's certainly possible to find a job elsewhere (see my post above), there is a good chance you will at least start working within 100 miles of whichever school you choose.

Denver and San Diego are both incredible cities for different reasons. You really need to visit both and see which one seems more suited to your personality and needs.

cmaho9qy

New

Post by cmaho9qy » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:07 pm

YanksFanUSD wrote:
cmaho9qy wrote:While I'm at it, maybe someone on this board has some insight on this: So far I've been accepted to Idaho, Denver, and San Diego. I've already declined on Idaho and I'm waiting to hear from L&C (second review with not much space left, I'm told), Oregon, and Seattle. Assuming that I don't get in to any of the schools I haven't heard from (or at least assuming that I don't hear from them by April 10th when DU's seat deposit is due), I'm leaning toward putting my deposit down at Denver over San Diego. Job prospects seem similar, the cost is lower (tuition and COL), and I think I'm more likely to want to spend a bunch of years directly following LS in Denver than in San Diego. Any thoughts? Good idea? Horrible idea?

Thanks in advance!
Pick the school that will leave you with less debt at the end and in the area you are hoping to practice after law school. Neither school has great national placement, so while it's certainly possible to find a job elsewhere (see my post above), there is a good chance you will at least start working within 100 miles of whichever school you choose.

Denver and San Diego are both incredible cities for different reasons. You really need to visit both and see which one seems more suited to your personality and needs.
Thanks for the insight... turns out I'm going to none of the above though! Seattle U for me in the fall.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”