A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
protokurios

Re: Columbia 1L Taking Qs

Postby protokurios » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:11 pm

What banks/ATMs are right around campus?

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:12 pm

protokurios wrote:What banks/ATMs are right around campus?

Citibank is in Lerner Hall. It's the only one I really need so not sure about others -- but that area is sure to have lots of banks within walking distance.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:31 pm

protokurios wrote:What banks/ATMs are right around campus?

There are several Chases close by as well. I don't remember any Bank of Americas, but I have to believe there's one nearby.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:20 am

Frank wrote:
jms1987 wrote:Not sure if this is something you can answer, but how many non-NY based BigLaw firms recruit a Columbia? I really want a clerkship followed by biglaw, and Columbia would be my first choice for either

I haven't had EIP (this August), so I cannot say a specific #. However, there were quite a few events sponsored by non-NYC based law firms. I went to some that were CA-based and TX-based, off the top of my head. There was also a Boston-based firm. There are a lot more firms at the EIP, though.

Sorry I never replied to this, thanks for the info. I really should not be concerned at all, considering I'm still in undergrad, but hey it never hurts to learn early :)

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:43 pm

Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris0805

Postby chris0805 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:44 am

To my knowledge it doesn't, but if you're pursuing further degrees, you can defer your loans as long as you are a half (maybe full, but I think it's half) time student. For a PhD, that might be a while, but an LLM is only one year, so you'd just defer the loans and then come back into LRAP. I know LRAP does cover (legal) academic jobs and it gives you up to 10 years of debt help so I think (i.e. not sure) that you would just defer your loans while a student, and then enter into a 10 year repayment and enter LRAP at that point.

This isn't a situation I'm dealing with since I'm going straight into work and, after 9 years of higher ed, I think I'm all done being a student so I haven't looked into it. I'd ask someone in the finaid office about it. They've been really helpful and honest with me when I've had specific LRAP questions.

Ohmischa

Postby Ohmischa » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:18 pm

I'm new to the thread (although did have a quick glance at some earlier posts) and I saw someone mentioned they chose Columbia purely because of financial help. If you were to take money out of the equation and simply base your decision on the school, NYU or Columbia? Which would you choose?

They both seem to have their own strengths and weaknesses but I'm having a hard job deciding which I'd rather focus on.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:22 am

ok i have a slew of questions....

i am planning on working out for an hour each six days a week and playing squash for two hours a week (more squash would be nice, but i'm betting i won't have the time at least during the week) - is that unrealistic? i am an early riser (around 7:00 am) so maybe some of this will be in the morning, depending on when classes meet.

i don't drink or at least i'd really prefer not to....alcoholism runs in the family, and alcohol makes me feel like shit. is this going to be a big problem socially? i don't think it is that fun to hang out with other people drinking. it feels like they are on another wavelength mentally.

how are schedules typically structured? about three classes a day? do they tend to be back-to-back, or are there long gaps in between, or does it just depend on what you are assigned?

van

Postby van » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:56 am

Were you aware of students who were admitted late off the wait list and how well they did?
I'm sure no one advertises they didn't get accepted until June or whenever, but in general did they tend to do just fine or struggle?
I also realize there is not definite one answer to this question.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:57 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:ok i have a slew of questions....

i am planning on working out for an hour each six days a week and playing squash for two hours a week (more squash would be nice, but i'm betting i won't have the time at least during the week) - is that unrealistic? i am an early riser (around 7:00 am) so maybe some of this will be in the morning, depending on when classes meet.

i don't drink or at least i'd really prefer not to....alcoholism runs in the family, and alcohol makes me feel like shit. is this going to be a big problem socially? i don't think it is that fun to hang out with other people drinking. it feels like they are on another wavelength mentally.

how are schedules typically structured? about three classes a day? do they tend to be back-to-back, or are there long gaps in between, or does it just depend on what you are assigned?

1: Yes, this is eminently doable. You might end up cutting back during the runup to finals, but generally you can easily work out every day. As a side note, let me know if you want to play squash - I play a decent amount and am always looking for a game.

2: Not drinking will not be a problem socially. Not liking to be with people who drink might be tougher. I don't think it is a "problem," but frankly a lot of social events revolve around drinking, and involve some drunk people. There will be other things to do, and you certainly don't have to drink, but other people often will.

3: Three classes a day four days a week is pretty average. They are rarely back to back to back, but they will usually be pretty close together. For example first semester my typical day was 11-12, 1:30-2:30 and 2:50-4:10. Second semester my typical day was 10:30-11:30 and 2:50-4:10, and one of either 8am-9am and 1:20-2:40.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:59 pm

van wrote:Were you aware of students who were admitted late off the wait list and how well they did?
I'm sure no one advertises they didn't get accepted until June or whenever, but in general did they tend to do just fine or struggle?
I also realize there is not definite one answer to this question.

I am not sure how people did generally, but it is not a categorical negative. Anecdotally I have a friend who got in off the waitlist whose grades probably place him in the top 10% of the class. I am sure there are waitlist admits who did much worse, but you shouldn't figure just because you got in off the waitlist you are doomed. Frankly, the differences are so minute that it really makes little difference.

Also, if you are looking for motivation, there is a guy at Harvard who won the sears prize (highest GPA in the class for a year) who got rejected once and in off the waitlist the second time: --LinkRemoved--

Antipodean

Postby Antipodean » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:41 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:3: Three classes a day four days a week is pretty average. They are rarely back to back to back, but they will usually be pretty close together. For example first semester my typical day was 11-12, 1:30-2:30 and 2:50-4:10. Second semester my typical day was 10:30-11:30 and 2:50-4:10, and one of either 8am-9am and 1:20-2:40.

Quick note: Not everyone has such a laidback schedule. For example, in my second semester I had classes on Wednesday 8:00-9:00, 10:40-12:00, 1:30-2:30, 2:50-4:10, and 4:20-5:20.

Schedules really do vary greatly, but 8am classes (and classes after 4:10) are pretty rare.

I have a suspicion that the Registrar might play off "schedule difficulty" against "teacher quality" - my schedule was among the roughest, but every single teacher was fantastic. Most other students I know had at least one boring/lacklustre teacher in their lineup.

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:54 am

thanks for the replies.

^
did you have some really light days as well? that sounds brutal.

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:55 am

I had a few questions about CLS's international programs and options. I'm looking a lot at public interest, especially patent law in developing countries (TRIPS issues). I made a thread here if you want details, but what are your guys' and girls' impressions of international law at CLS, especially opportunities for working abroad or for international orgs in NY? Thanks a bunch, hope to see you all in 2011 :D

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 am

is it easy to sit by power outlets while in class? my laptop can't hold a charge worth a damn.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:28 am

MTC87 wrote:is it easy to sit by power outlets while in class? my laptop can't hold a charge worth a damn.

Yes there is a power outlet (i.e. two sockets) for every two seats in pretty much every classroom.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:50 am

LogicalBaozi wrote:I had a few questions about CLS's international programs and options. I'm looking a lot at public interest, especially patent law in developing countries (TRIPS issues). I made a thread here if you want details, but what are your guys' and girls' impressions of international law at CLS, especially opportunities for working abroad or for international orgs in NY? Thanks a bunch, hope to see you all in 2011 :D

There are plenty of opportunities to take patent courses, and there are plenty of international opportunities, but frankly given the specificity of your interests, you are going to have to take the initiative to tailor your course of study to your interests. There simply isn't going to be a program at any school that fits exactly what you are looking for.

1L summer, quite a few people work abroad for NGOs. Most of the NGOs are human rights-related, however, so you probably will have to identify and apply to orgs that fit your interests yourself.

There are a bunch of externships opportunities (for credit) that CLS has set up, including one with the UN. Not sure if the UN does work in your field, but if they do, that would be a great bet. This being New York, one of the big advantages is that I'm sure you could arrange other, ad-hoc externships with orgs you're interested in, but you would probably not get credit for them.

The final real international option is to do a joint JD/LLM where you spend a term (or two) a foreign university and get both a JD and LLM (or LLB if it's England). I know they have programs in London, Paris, and Frankfurt. Again, I do not think there will be a program specifically tailored to your interests, but you might be able to explore what you want within the framework of these programs.

Columbia is great, but have you looked into Berkeley/Stanford at all? There not as huge in terms of international programs, but they pretty much have the consensus "best" IP/patent programs, and they have much more in the way of Asian programs (which I assume is your regional focus if you are studying patent law in developing countries).

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:09 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:
There are plenty of opportunities to take patent courses, and there are plenty of international opportunities, but frankly given the specificity of your interests, you are going to have to take the initiative to tailor your course of study to your interests. There simply isn't going to be a program at any school that fits exactly what you are looking for.

1L summer, quite a few people work abroad for NGOs. Most of the NGOs are human rights-related, however, so you probably will have to identify and apply to orgs that fit your interests yourself.

There are a bunch of externships opportunities (for credit) that CLS has set up, including one with the UN. Not sure if the UN does work in your field, but if they do, that would be a great bet. This being New York, one of the big advantages is that I'm sure you could arrange other, ad-hoc externships with orgs you're interested in, but you would probably not get credit for them.

The final real international option is to do a joint JD/LLM where you spend a term (or two) a foreign university and get both a JD and LLM (or LLB if it's England). I know they have programs in London, Paris, and Frankfurt. Again, I do not think there will be a program specifically tailored to your interests, but you might be able to explore what you want within the framework of these programs.

Columbia is great, but have you looked into Berkeley/Stanford at all? There not as huge in terms of international programs, but they pretty much have the consensus "best" IP/patent programs, and they have much more in the way of Asian programs (which I assume is your regional focus if you are studying patent law in developing countries).

Thanks for the reply! The joint JD/LLM sounds very interesting, though it might kinda eliminating making LR. Thanks for that tip, I somehow missed that section of the website o(>﹏<)o I've looked at Columbia's faculty, and they have a few profs who have specialties that seem really interesting, and it'd be awesome to be able to chat with them.
Stanford and Berkeley do have stronger "Asian" programs, and very good IP/patent law programs, but I'm not exclusively interested in Asian law; I picked that one since Chinese is the only language I've studied to the point I can read legal documents in that language. I'd be just as happy working in India, the ME, Africa, or Latin America, which is where many NGOs have stronger presences anyway. It would mean all that time I spent learning Chinese would be wasted, but hey, if I go to law school, all that higher math I destroyed my GPA with would be for naught as well, and learning some Indian or African languages might be kinda fun, so the Asian program specialty isn't a huge draw.

In terms of the NGOs, are there many opportunities (or a glimmer of hope, should one choose that route) or pursuing legal work within the framework of the WTO, Asian/World Development Bank, or similar more economically oriented organizations? Likewise, is there much coursework that could be focused towards TRIPS and the international implications of IPR protection, rather than national laws and enforcement, which is what Stanford/Berkeley seem to be more geared towards?

Edit: I just read the article linked here, and it seems that it would be looked down upon to get an LLM, even in conjunction with a JD? While it may be outside the scope for a 1L, do NGOs also distrust students who get an LLM as well? Was very shocking, especially since the Frankfurt LLM program looked very nice, as I already have a background in economics (finance though is a bit wide of the mark for me...).

Again, thanks much ^_^
Last edited by LogicalBaozi on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:19 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:Thanks for the reply! The joint JD/LLM sounds very interesting, though it might kinda eliminating making LR. Thanks for that tip, I somehow missed that section of the website o(>﹏<)o I've looked at Columbia's faculty, and they have a few profs who have specialties that seem really interesting, and it'd be awesome to be able to chat with them.
Stanford and Berkeley do have stronger "Asian" programs, and very good IP/patent law programs, but I'm not exclusively interested in Asian law; I picked that one since Chinese is the only language I've studied to the point I can read legal documents in that language. I'd be just as happy working in India, the ME, Africa, or Latin America, which is where many NGOs have stronger presences anyway. It would mean all that time I spent learning Chinese would be wasted, but hey, if I go to law school, all that higher math I destroyed my GPA with would be for naught as well, and learning some Indian or African languages might be kinda fun, so the Asian program specialty isn't a huge draw.

In terms of the NGOs, are there many opportunities (or a glimmer of hope, should one choose that route) or pursuing legal work within the framework of the WTO, Asian/World Development Bank, or similar more economically oriented organizations? Likewise, is there much coursework that could be focused towards TRIPS and the international implications of IPR protection, rather than national laws and enforcement, which is what Stanford/Berkeley seem to be more geared towards?

Again, thanks much ^_^

So, I confess I don't really know a ton about this area, so this is all guessing. I highly recommend you shoot an email to Clarisa Long, Scott Hemphill and/or Hal Edgar and explain your interests and see if they'd be willing to talk by phone. Long is very nice and provided she's not too busy I'm sure one or more of them would be willing to chat.

Understood in terms of regional focus. I don't know much about other schools, but I guess my point is that Columbia's international offerings are very European-focused (i.e., largely not developing countries).

As far as your question about the specific NGOs you mentioned, yes, there is some opportunity to do that for the summer, but no, there's very little if any opportunity to do that as a career, at least immediately post graduation. Almost nobody (at any schools) gets jobs at these orgs right out of law school. That said, I don't see why columbia would be any worse than other places at setting you up for a similar job down the road.

As far as courses, these are all the IP courses CLS offers: http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses/bro ... .c_id=3020 not sure if that answers your question.

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:32 pm

imchuckbass58 wrote:So, I confess I don't really know a ton about this area, so this is all guessing. I highly recommend you shoot an email to Clarisa Long, Scott Hemphill and/or Hal Edgar and explain your interests and see if they'd be willing to talk by phone. Long is very nice and provided she's not too busy I'm sure one or more of them would be willing to chat.

Understood in terms of regional focus. I don't know much about other schools, but I guess my point is that Columbia's international offerings are very European-focused (i.e., largely not developing countries).

As far as your question about the specific NGOs you mentioned, yes, there is some opportunity to do that for the summer, but no, there's very little if any opportunity to do that as a career, at least immediately post graduation. Almost nobody (at any schools) gets jobs at these orgs right out of law school. That said, I don't see why columbia would be any worse than other places at setting you up for a similar job down the road.

As far as courses, these are all the IP courses CLS offers: http://www.law.columbia.edu/courses/bro ... .c_id=3020 not sure if that answers your question.

Thanks, it does help! I should probably print out a copy of the CLS sitemap and make sure I've visited every relevant page before asking for help again though.

I guess that leaves two questions-ish: First, regarding the LLM (I edited the post above, sorry), and second, should one contact professors at an institution to which one is applying before receiving notice of admission? Would that be seen as trying to receive an unofficial interview of sorts, and be unfair to other students applying?
Then again, I haven't even gotten my LSAT back yet, making it a bit premature to apply, so it could be a moot point, thus making it safe to make a phone call or two ^^

If I make it to Columbia, I'll treat you to dinner! Huzzah!

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:45 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:Thanks, it does help! I should probably print out a copy of the CLS sitemap and make sure I've visited every relevant page before asking for help again though.

I guess that leaves two questions-ish: First, regarding the LLM (I edited the post above, sorry), and second, should one contact professors at an institution to which one is applying before receiving notice of admission? Would that be seen as trying to receive an unofficial interview of sorts, and be unfair to other students applying?
Then again, I haven't even gotten my LSAT back yet, making it a bit premature to apply, so it could be a moot point, thus making it safe to make a phone call or two ^^

If I make it to Columbia, I'll treat you to dinner! Huzzah!

Regarding the LLM, I'm not really sure. I don't think it's looked down upon per se, but it definitely is not a big asset or anything. I think the Ivey article is mostly railing on people who get an LLM and think that instantly qualifies them to work for the State Department OLC or something like that. I don't think it's a handicap if you can articulate a practical, cogent reason for getting it. That said, even if your interests are international, I think there are good arguments to be made that it might be better to stay at CLS and take classes here, rather than getting an LLM.

I do not think it is premature. Maybe they will not want to talk to someone until he/she has been admitted, but the worst that can happen is they say "no" or don't respond. It's definitely not "unfair" or improper. Honestly, if it were me, I would wait until you get your LSAT score, see what range of schools you are looking at, then contact professors at some of your top choices. It's a totally legitimate way of deciding what schools to apply to, but you might as well save yourself some work by waiting until your LSAT gives you a narrower range of targets.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:43 am

Last edited by blue5385 on Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

imchuckbass58

Postby imchuckbass58 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:13 pm

blue5385 wrote:Do any rising 2Ls remember how much money they spent on books 1L year? I'm trying to make a general budget for the upcoming school year & would like to know how much I should expect to spend on books (other than that it's going to be a lot). Thanks! :)

Including supplements, etc., probably about $1,000. I buy all my casebooks new though, because I don't like other people's notes. If you're willing to buy used books you could probably do it for less.

JG Hall

Postby JG Hall » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:15 pm

Last edited by JG Hall on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LogicalBaozi

Postby LogicalBaozi » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:51 am

Another question: do you guys know anyone trying to do a joint JD/PhD or the MIA/JD program with SIPA? Given their focus on public interest, having a masters/PhD in public policy or related field might be useful. Is this common/useful/absurdly difficult? Thanks again!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”