Ohio State 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chicoalto0649

Silver

Re: Ohio State 1L Taking Questions

Post by chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 am

twalamanana wrote:
jms1987 wrote:Do you know anyone pursuing a JD/MBA? Oh and thanks for taking ?'s, I'm transferring to OSU in the fall to finish up my undergrad stuff
I know current 1Ls thinking about doing it, but joint degree programs don't kick in until 2L because the 1L curriculum has to be completely uniform. Off the top of my head I don't think I personally know any 2Ls or 3Ls currently pursuing it, but it's something that's advertised as a completely doable option. The Fisher School of Business is very strong as far as I know.
Dean Northern said anyone thinking about doing this should take their gmat or gre BEFORE getting to law schoool. You don't want to be studying for the damned test on top of your 1L curriculum

twalamanana

New

Post by twalamanana » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:41 am

Steven Perry wrote:I'm from Northeast Ohio originally, currently going to school out of state, but I know a bunch of people at OSU. I was wondering how the law market is in Ohio generally, considering I've heard OSU grads tend to dominate it? Even with a leg up being at OSU compared to schools like Case, Cleveland, or Akron, is it worth going into that market at all right now? Based on what my hometown and the surrounding counties are going through economically, it doesn't seem like there is much room in any field.

Also, did you visit any other schools, and if so, how does OSU trump them?
Yeah, I mean as we all know it's a rough time for the economy in general and the legal field has not been insulated from this. I'm not really sure if how northeast OH is struggling is exactly analogous to how the legal field is struggling since I believe NE OH is struggling from the collapse of industry and manufacturing, which I guess affects some aspects of the legal market but definitely not all of the market. Honestly, I would say that it's a rough time to get into the legal market at all right now and I feel for the classes of '09-'10, although who knows how things will be when I graduate or when you graduate in 2+ years. So, I guess my short and non-expert opinion would be that 1) the legal market is rough everywhere right now 2) perhaps with the exception of NE OH, which I don't know a whole lot about, I don't think the legal markets in the biggest cities like Cinci and Columbus are any better or worse off than the rest of the country (and the biglaw model is collapsing everywhere, with the huge layoffs in NYC and such). Sorry if this isn't very coherent- basically, the market is rough everywhere right now, and that is something to keep in mind.

I officially visited 2 other schools besides OSU. I mean, aside from "objective" reasons why I thought OSU trumped them, such as quality of education v. price, I just felt more comfortable at OSU than the other schools and could see myself being a student there and living in Columbus. These subjective factors will obviously be different for everyone. But I definitely recommend vising all the schools that you are seriously considering; it will help immeasurably in your decision.

twalamanana

New

Post by twalamanana » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:47 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:Were you at the McFaddens mixer for admitted student on friday? Def a good time and was impressed with your SBA President. Alot of 1ls/2ls were there and they all seemed really happy to be at moritz which is something I def value. Don't want to be at a school where nobody is happy to be there.
No, I wasn't there; I almost went but I had a friend visiting from out of town so we off doing our own thing. I'm glad it was a good time! I've been really happy with the social aspect of the school, and I would definitely second that everyone is happy to be here. Josh the SBA president is great!

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:01 am

Do you like legislation?

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:03 am

twalamanana wrote:
superflush wrote:...I observed a class recently, and I noticed that virtually nobody was using a laptop in the class. Is this normal?? or maybe it was particular to that specific class??
hahaha you probably sat in on one of my classes. This semester all our section's profs conspired and banned laptops in all our classes. We were not happy, to say the least. Other sections' classes allow them with a few outliers who ban them just for individual classes. Last semester we were allowed to use laptops in all our classes except for one. So maybe it's a new trend for the 1L profs. Even though it initially really pissed me off I got used to it and it's really not that big a deal anymore.
wow. This is kind of worrisome to me. I couldn't imagine taking notes without a laptop.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:55 pm

I just came up with a question...what would you say the percentage of students who go into private practice in Ohio stay in Columbus? I could see myself working in Columbus, but probably not cleveland..any thoughts?

kartal

Bronze

Post by kartal » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:57 am

twalamanana wrote:Ohio State 1L here happy to take any questions!
I appreciate if you can answer the following questions:

1. What is the typical section size?

2. How is the grading curve at your law school?

3. Do you see your law school as a cut-throat (very competitive) school or not so?

4. Does the school use the Socratic method?

6. Why are you glad you chose your law school over some of the other options that you had? What were your other options?

7. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

8. How do you rate the facilities (school, law library)?

Thanks in advance.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:20 pm

kartal wrote:
twalamanana wrote:Ohio State 1L here happy to take any questions!

I appreciate if you can answer the following questions:

1. What is the typical section size?

2. How is the grading curve at your law school?

3. Do you see your law school as a cut-throat (very competitive) school or not so?

4. Does the school use the Socratic method?

6. Why are you glad you chose your law school over some of the other options that you had? What were your other options?

7. Does the faculty lean more liberal or conservative? How about the student body?

8. How do you rate the facilities (school, law library)?

Thanks in advance.
These are very basic questions. I might be at osu next year. Let me see if I can answer them and OP can correct me.

1. 80 people.

2. They curve to a 3.3

3. Law schools are by nature competitive places and OP can not speak for other schools.On the other hand, all 1ls / 2ls say this is the least douchiest law school they looked at and everyone is very cordial and helpful.

4. Some professors use the Socratic method alot more than others. It depends on the professor. Some use it a lot and others let the class carry the discussion.

5. Everyone I talked to is happy they picked osu. Some even picked it over much higher ranked schools like vandy and cornell.

6. Professors lean slightly left but you wouldn't notice it. The student body leans slightly left as well but there is a student organization for most every political view.

7. The law school is perfectly adequate. Nothing jaw dropping but everything is modern/wired with wifi. The library is very nice and big. There are much worse law buildings.

TenTen

New

Post by TenTen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks for taking questions. If you don't mind, where do students typically live while attending school? Are there any place(s) that you recommend? Additionally, are there any places to avoid?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:27 am

TenTen wrote:Thanks for taking questions. If you don't mind, where do students typically live while attending school? Are there any place(s) that you recommend? Additionally, are there any places to avoid?
0L, but I (and a few others) know Columbus fairly well and can comment.

The school will recommend the South Campus Gateway apartments, but I think they're horribly overpriced. I personally don't want to live close to campus because the area immediately around campus is a typical student ghetto.

The Short North/Victorian Village area is, in my opinion, the best neighborhood in Columbus and is close to campus. It's pretty pricey, though. Clintonville is a little cheaper and just as close to campus, but there's not as much to do. Fortunately, Columbus is small enough that it's not a hassle getting to any-or-from any part of town. Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights are nice but also pricey.

Those are the only neighborhoods I'm really considering. Everywhere else has too many significant drawbacks. Old Town East is kinda rundown and pretty far away from campus, downtown is too expensive (and housing's pretty scarce there), and most everywhere else is generic apartment complex hell (I'm looking squarely at you, Dublin).

TenTen

New

Post by TenTen » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
TenTen wrote:Thanks for taking questions. If you don't mind, where do students typically live while attending school? Are there any place(s) that you recommend? Additionally, are there any places to avoid?
0L, but I (and a few others) know Columbus fairly well and can comment.

The school will recommend the South Campus Gateway apartments, but I think they're horribly overpriced. I personally don't want to live close to campus because the area immediately around campus is a typical student ghetto.

The Short North/Victorian Village area is, in my opinion, the best neighborhood in Columbus and is close to campus. It's pretty pricey, though. Clintonville is a little cheaper and just as close to campus, but there's not as much to do. Fortunately, Columbus is small enough that it's not a hassle getting to any-or-from any part of town. Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights are nice but also pricey.

Those are the only neighborhoods I'm really considering. Everywhere else has too many significant drawbacks. Old Town East is kinda rundown and pretty far away from campus, downtown is too expensive (and housing's pretty scarce there), and most everywhere else is generic apartment complex hell (I'm looking squarely at you, Dublin).
Okay, thanks for your help. I recently visited and looked at a couple of the places you named. I didn't get a chance to look at the Short North/Victorian Village area you mentioned, but I will now for sure.

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:47 am

First, I think the laptop policy is Luddite crap, and I would protest it if it was implemented in my section. My hand cramps up after a very short time writing, and I have crappy handwriting besides. I have zero intention of being on Facebook in class and if that's an epidemic, well, I don't like it either. But let me type, please...

Potential laptop rage aside, I'm strongly considering going to OSU and would like to know re: International Business Law: Are there strong courses in this? Do any graduates end up working on cross-border transactions that you know of? How about security/military law? Not necessarily what I want to do as a career but something I'm interested in nonetheless.

Some stats for everyone else looking at this thread: http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/careerservices ... rospective

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:27 pm

creamedcats wrote:First, I think the laptop policy is Luddite crap, and I would protest it if it was implemented in my section. My hand cramps up after a very short time writing, and I have crappy handwriting besides. I have zero intention of being on Facebook in class and if that's an epidemic, well, I don't like it either. But let me type, please...

Potential laptop rage aside, I'm strongly considering going to OSU and would like to know re: International Business Law: Are there strong courses in this? Do any graduates end up working on cross-border transactions that you know of? How about security/military law? Not necessarily what I want to do as a career but something I'm interested in nonetheless.

Some stats for everyone else looking at this thread: http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/careerservices ... rospective
+1, interested in this as well as I want to go into Corporate International Law

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:08 am

creamedcats wrote:First, I think the laptop policy is Luddite crap, and I would protest it if it was implemented in my section. My hand cramps up after a very short time writing, and I have crappy handwriting besides. I have zero intention of being on Facebook in class and if that's an epidemic, well, I don't like it either. But let me type, please...
plus 1, if I didn't say it already.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:33 am

What is the public interest program like?

Is it easy or hard to get grants to work for a PI during your summers in law school? Do career services help you find these grants?

How easy/hard is it to get employment in DC, for the DC summer program? Also, for students who do this program, do they find it easier to get jobs in the DC area after graduation?

Thanks!

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:28 am

creamedcats wrote: How about security/military law? Not necessarily what I want to do as a career but something I'm interested in nonetheless.
I don't know jack about it, but just a piece of useful trivia: there's a sizeable Air Force JAG contingent at Wright-Patterson AFB near Dayton. They do OCI at Moritz

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:10 am

If our intrepid 1L is still with us, I have a question.

What is covered in Legal Research (fall sem) versus Legal Writing (spring sem)? Or more specifically, how are students evaluated for the fall legal research class?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

baboon309

Bronze

Post by baboon309 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:19 am

TipTravHoot wrote:If our intrepid 1L is still with us, I have a question.

What is covered in Legal Research (fall sem) versus Legal Writing (spring sem)? Or more specifically, how are students evaluated for the fall legal research class?
I heard that it`s a 1 credit joke.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:58 am

baboon309 wrote:

I hope so, but it's a graded one-credit joke.

twalamanana

New

Post by twalamanana » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:01 pm

whoah, sorry that i've been mia- contract final exam + spring break + easter made me forget that this thread existed. but in the next few minutes i'll try to answer some questions!

oh, just a note on the no laptop policy- i prob should have mentioned this earlier- what does happen is that every day there are a few designated note takers who get to take notes on laptops, and then they post their notes online for everyone to read. this is really helpful and helps to take the burn away from not being able to use a laptop yourself.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:04 pm

twalamanana wrote:whoah, sorry that i've been mia- contract final exam + spring break + easter made me forget that this thread existed. but in the next few minutes i'll try to answer some questions!

oh, just a note on the no laptop policy- i prob should have mentioned this earlier- what does happen is that every day there are a few designated note takers who get to take notes on laptops, and then they post their notes online for everyone to read. this is really helpful and helps to take the burn away from not being able to use a laptop yourself.
Would it be silly to take OSU over Fordham? Everyone says get F but I love tOSU and walking through the oval I was reminded of how tough it will be to leave....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

creamedcats

Bronze

Post by creamedcats » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 pm

twalamanana wrote:whoah, sorry that i've been mia- contract final exam + spring break + easter made me forget that this thread existed. but in the next few minutes i'll try to answer some questions!

Doesn't make me feel any better about it. The act of taking notes is helpful to memory. I might take better notes than someone else, and even if I don't, they're probably better for me.

twalamanana

New

Post by twalamanana » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:09 pm

crm wrote:

+1, interested in this as well as I want to go into Corporate International Law
I'm honestly not that familiar with corporate international law. As far as corporate law goes, we have an Entrepreneurial Business Law journal, and we have Prof Garvin, who is amazing and the heir of the Farnsworth Contracts casebook/supplement, which is a big deal. I'm currently figuring out my schedule for next year and I did notice courses in things like International Transactions and International IP Law, but I'm sorry that I don't really know much about this field.

twalamanana

New

Post by twalamanana » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:12 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Would it be silly to take OSU over Fordham? Everyone says get F but I love tOSU and walking through the oval I was reminded of how tough it will be to leave....
Unless you're dead set on working in New York, and if you would be fine working in the midwest, then I don't think it would be silly at all. My way of thinking is that the least debt you can acquire for a quality school in a region you wouldn't mind starting out in is the way to go.

The oval is amazing this time of year!

twalamanana

New

Post by twalamanana » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:18 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:
baboon309 wrote:

I hope so, but it's a graded one-credit joke.

I'm not a big fan of how they separate legal research and legal writing, but I've heard that they're working on changing this aspect of the curriculum. Now, in Legal Research, you do research just for the sake of doing research with no real goal or purpose in mind. Your grade is a final exam that asks you questions about how you would research a particular question and what resources you would use. Then, the next semester in Legal Writing, you actually use what you supposedly learned a semester ago in Legal Research to learn how to write memos and briefs. This class is actually extremely important because it relates to the real world- for summer jobs you're going to be writing a ton of memos. Also, my Legal Writing prof is amazing- the former Ohio Attorney General and she was just listed as a possible replacement for the OH Supreme Ct Chief Justice who passed away last week!

Yeah, LR can seem like a 1 credit joke, but don't blow it off...it's not difficult but I sort of blew it off and it was tied as my lowest grade last semester! embarrassing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”