Ohio State 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mommamia

New

Re: Ohio State 1L Taking Questions

Post by mommamia » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Are there any plans to remodel Moritz? Having visited several schools, the appearance was a bit disappointing. However, I was extremely impressed with the professors- which would be more important in the long run. How do you register for classes at OSU? Is it possible to select the professor of your choice or will the school make that choice for you?

mommamia

New

Post by mommamia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:33 pm

How realistic is it that you can earn money your second and third years in law school doing externships and other law related activities? How many students do them and how much money (on average) do you think that the average student makes?

:mrgreen:

williemayshayes

New

Post by williemayshayes » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:51 pm

TTH wrote:
TenTen wrote:Thanks for taking questions. If you don't mind, where do students typically live while attending school? Are there any place(s) that you recommend? Additionally, are there any places to avoid?
0L, but I (and a few others) know Columbus fairly well and can comment.

The school will recommend the South Campus Gateway apartments, but I think they're horribly overpriced. I personally don't want to live close to campus because the area immediately around campus is a typical student ghetto.

The Short North/Victorian Village area is, in my opinion, the best neighborhood in Columbus and is close to campus. It's pretty pricey, though. Clintonville is a little cheaper and just as close to campus, but there's not as much to do. Fortunately, Columbus is small enough that it's not a hassle getting to any-or-from any part of town. Upper Arlington and Grandview Heights are nice but also pricey.

Those are the only neighborhoods I'm really considering. Everywhere else has too many significant drawbacks. Old Town East is kinda rundown and pretty far away from campus, downtown is too expensive (and housing's pretty scarce there), and most everywhere else is generic apartment complex hell (I'm looking squarely at you, Dublin).

Got a bone to pick with the University district? :lol:

A current OSU undergrad, I am a proud 2-year resident/tenant of said "student ghetto" with one year on Chittenden Ave right by the Gateway, and another (and counting) on 16th and Waldeck. My rent has never been over $400, and the abundance of inexpensive food and drink on High Street is well documented...so there are some massive savings to be had by biting the bullet and living like an undergrad for 3 more years. I understand that the u.g. lifestyle is VASTLY different from that of your typical law student, but I just wanted to put it out there that living here does have a great deal of pluses as well.

Seeing as how I'm fortunately still a bachelor, I would certainly spend my law school years in this "student ghetto" without thinking twice about it. Paying rents like that is just too good to pass up...and frankly I dig the area. Within shouting distance of the law school building/library and the new Union...10 minute walk to the SEL (for those who don't know this library is open 24-7) and to Thompson (our surreal-amazing new library), so it is extremely easy to escape the nighttime revelers to get work done.

Life is good in these parts, contrary to what you may hear. Unless of course, you are hoping to totally separate yourself from what you knew as an undergrad, then it might be time to look in the ShortNorth/VictorianVillage/Dublin/U.A./Hilliard (quite a bit of my ex-undergrad friends who remained at OSU for med/law/pharm school either live in or spend a considerable amount of time in Hilliard). Definitely cosign your view about the Gateway though...overpriced doesn't even begin to describe those apartments.

P.S. sorry for bumping this, I'm looking at OSU's law school and searched for some threads about it...once I came across this and started reading it, I lost track of the times.

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:44 pm

IDK if this thread is still active, but how are job prospects in Ohio looking right now for OSU students?

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:51 am

jms1987 wrote:IDK if this thread is still active, but how are job prospects in Ohio looking right now for OSU students?

+1. I'm from Columbus, but would love to know more about job prospects/workload from current students. Definitely considering going home.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcubberly

Bronze

Post by mcubberly » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:21 pm

Bump. Osu students?

tiansnake

New

Post by tiansnake » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:07 am

Hey guys,
I just admitted by both Indiana U-Bloomington and OSU, their scholarships are the same $ vs.$. So here I am a bit unsure about where should I go. Given all the information in this forum and others, I have the impression that Indiana U-Bloomington$ and Ohio-State$ are quite similar schools (USNews IUB-23 vs.OHS-35). They are all regional (although strong), all state-university, so I assume their job prospect are pretty the same? I, although quite open to other job options, plan to work in the east coast, preferably NYC or PA. Are there anything I should have considered but failed to? I really appreciate if you could share it with me. Thank you!

ellieroot

New

Post by ellieroot » Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:59 pm

How much support is there for finding jobs outside of Ohio/the Midwest?

HarveyBirdman

New

Post by HarveyBirdman » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:47 am

I didn't like OSU as an undergrad and transferred out after a year and a half. I blame myself for not trying hard enough, but I really just never found people I could connect with. I also went with my then girlfriend from high school who latched onto me nonstop, isolated me, then dumped me. So yeah, that sucked. Also, I'm not the partying type, and while I like NFL football, I'm sorry, but I couldn't give two shits about the college level.

Yet I live in Ohio and recognize the power OSU's law school holds...Would I be doomed to the same fate if I were to go back? How is the experience different for law school students?

Haha reading this thread brings back bad memories. In a way though I'd like to go back and "do it right."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:45 pm

ellieroot wrote:How much support is there for finding jobs outside of Ohio/the Midwest?
I will say its tougher than trying for midwest/Ohio for obvious reasons, But I will say that our Alumni everywhere around the country are a big help with getting you an initial interview and then after that it is on you. So, it is definitely possible, but you just have to work a little harder. Talk to career services immediately just to get a list of alumni at the area in which you hope to go to and then they will provide you with one and if you are a 1L, start emailing just asking for advice...they prove to be great connections in terms of the job search. What market are you trying to get to?
Last edited by crm on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crm

Bronze

Post by crm » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:49 pm

mcubberly wrote:
jms1987 wrote:IDK if this thread is still active, but how are job prospects in Ohio looking right now for OSU students?

+1. I'm from Columbus, but would love to know more about job prospects/workload from current students. Definitely considering going home.
Sorry, I have been inactive from TLS for the past few months, but I'll go ahead and answer some questions. The job markets are much better (from what I hear) from the past two years. We have firms coming to campus now that didn't have summer programs before and are starting up again. That being said, the market is the same as any other secondary market, its competitive and you need good grades. But, OSU is the best law school in Ohio and has a good reputation throughout the midwest and the rest of the nation, so its not impossible. I know quite a few people now who have already accepted "big law" positions and it is still early in the process, so things are definitely looking up. They are not as good as they were during the peak in what was it 06? But, they are still better than the past couple years...

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:23 am

I'll bump this. I'm an OSU 1L willing to answer questions :)

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:54 am

How easy is it to get funded for public interest summer internships? I read that OSU is generous with such grants, and I want to study public interest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

2014jd

New

Post by 2014jd » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:26 pm

I see a 1L already beat me to this thread :). I am a 1L also, but I will also try to answer some questions since the forums were such a big help to me last year.
HarveyBirdman wrote:I didn't like OSU as an undergrad and transferred out after a year and a half. I blame myself for not trying hard enough, but I really just never found people I could connect with. I also went with my then girlfriend from high school who latched onto me nonstop, isolated me, then dumped me. So yeah, that sucked. Also, I'm not the partying type, and while I like NFL football, I'm sorry, but I couldn't give two shits about the college level.

Yet I live in Ohio and recognize the power OSU's law school holds...Would I be doomed to the same fate if I were to go back? How is the experience different for law school students?

Haha reading this thread brings back bad memories. In a way though I'd like to go back and "do it right."
I also went to OSU undergrad and for the most part enjoyed it, but the good news for you is that the law school experience is significantly different. I won't say its like high school like some people say, but the law school is in its own bubble and unless you are walking around campus or going to the gym, you really don't interact with the undergrads at all. Also, I know what you mean about not being able to connect with people in undergrad and in law school it is different because as 1Ls everyone is having a similar experience. There are 30 people who have the same exact schedule as you (excluding the legal writing class) and there are 70 people who have the same two classes as you. So to me it seems there is a lot better opportunity to connect with people in law school than in undergrad just because of the common experiences of all the 1Ls.

I'd say the football team is still a pretty big part of the community here (though I could be biased since I'm a big fan), but i wouldn't consider it as obnoxious as you probably remember in undergrad.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:53 pm

89vision wrote:How easy is it to get funded for public interest summer internships? I read that OSU is generous with such grants, and I want to study public interest.
I don't know that OSU itself really has many options for this. But there is a law school student organization called the Public Interest Law Foundation that has a fellowship program you can apply for to get funded if you get an unpaid public interest job. They have a lot of very large fundraisers throughout the year (the biggest brings in $30,000+) so they're able to fund a lot of students.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:00 pm

2014jd wrote:I see a 1L already beat me to this thread :). I am a 1L also, but I will also try to answer some questions since the forums were such a big help to me last year.
I'm sure you're not surprised that I was already in this thread :)

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:37 am

Oh hi there OSU thread.

I will participate here to give prospective Moritz students valuable advice on life.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:44 pm

TTH wrote:Oh hi there OSU thread.

I will participate here to give prospective Moritz students valuable advice on life.
I will probably just ditto everything TTH has to say.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:48 pm

Lwoods wrote:
TTH wrote:Oh hi there OSU thread.

I will probably just ditto everything TTH has to say.
And now we officially have the TLS OSU trifecta ITT :)

Duke Silver

New

Post by Duke Silver » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:27 am

Oh hey! I can answer questions too. Although I'll probably just +1 to what you guys say, especially lifestooquick (lol), since we sit next to each other in class.

bsc89

New

Post by bsc89 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:40 pm

How is the diversity at the law school?

How are the women at the law school?

Any Portability to New York?

Thanks for taking questions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bsc89

New

Post by bsc89 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:31 pm

Bump?

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:22 pm

bsc89 wrote:How is the diversity at the law school?

Now that I've reached the light at the end of the memo tunnel, I can answer this :)

I'm actually pretty impressed with the diversity here! It's definitely a priority of the school and we have a number of diversity groups that are very active as well. I don't know what more you want to know here, but feel free to ask more questions.

...I'm a (straight) girl, so the second question isn't really my thing. But I happen to think the ladies of Moritz are awesome :)

TTH may be able to speak about portability a bit more...I'm a 1L and haven't had much experience with the job search process yet. I know that career services had a panel of 2Ls to talk to us 1Ls about what they did last summer and one of the girls worked in New York. Most people stay in Ohio, but I do know that some of that is self-selection. I'm gunning for DC myself actually.

I feel like I didn't really give you much, sorry! I'm happy to answer follow-ups or any other questions :)

therunningman

New

Post by therunningman » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:05 pm

Portability to New York is probably a little better than peer schools, just because everyone has heard of Ohio State and there are alumni everywhere. On the other hand, you still must get good grades and interview well to have opportunities no matter what school you go to ITE (t14 aside). I know of at least one person who worked in NY and I am not really even in the know as far as who's working where, so that is probably a good sign. Cleary does OCI every year, so there is that.

Women seem good. What do you want to know about them? If your asking about attractiveness, I think there are plenty of very attractive women here. But I think you should consider the entire campus as well because dating a law student could get weird. In that category OSU cannot be beat. With 65,000 students I don't see how you couldn't find someone.

Lwoods

Silver

Post by Lwoods » Fri Nov 11, 2011 11:46 am

lifestooquick wrote:

Now that I've reached the light at the end of the memo tunnel, I can answer this :)

I'm actually pretty impressed with the diversity here! It's definitely a priority of the school and we have a number of diversity groups that are very active as well. I don't know what more you want to know here, but feel free to ask more questions.

...I'm a (straight) girl, so the second question isn't really my thing. But I happen to think the ladies of Moritz are awesome :)

TTH may be able to speak about portability a bit more...I'm a 1L and haven't had much experience with the job search process yet. I know that career services had a panel of 2Ls to talk to us 1Ls about what they did last summer and one of the girls worked in New York. Most people stay in Ohio, but I do know that some of that is self-selection. I'm gunning for DC myself actually.

I feel like I didn't really give you much, sorry! I'm happy to answer follow-ups or any other questions :)
The school definitely tries to prioritize diversity, but I haven't found it to be too particularly diverse racially. Considering it's a public law school in the midwest, though, I suppose it's good. LTQ is spot on about the different organizations.

Also a straight female, but I feel I can objectively say that the women, on average, are awesome. ;)

Portability to New York...probably not so great. It's not impossible, but you really have to work for it. Most 2Ls I've spoken with have had trouble with their job search. It seems the top candidates have gotten Ohio Biglaw and Midlaw...including those trying for other markets. Top tOSU students do get interviews in those other markets, but it's just tough all around. I think general wisdom on TLS is that New York is the easiest market to crack outside your home market simply because there are actually jobs there and New Yorkers don't need to be convinced that people not from NY want to live there.
I'm personally hoping to get back to New York (which wasn't the plan when I chose tOSU...ah, life), but I'll be heavily relying upon my existing contacts. There's also a counselor in career services with New York contacts, but career services can only do so much.

TTH will likely have better perspective.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”