Georgetown 3L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ChiSoxinDC

Re: Georgetown 3L Taking Questions

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:02 pm

InsertCleverName wrote:Between attending class and studying, about how many hours do you spend on school work per week and do you feel you have enough time to commit to clinics, journals, etc. without feeling too overloaded?

How's public transit in DC? Is it good enough someone could live without a car and get everywhere s/he would need to be? Also, all the schools in my state provide free public transit passes with tuition. Does Georgetown do something similar?

Do you know anybody that's done the joint JD/MPP? If so, can you comment on their experiences in the program and potential job prospects? Emailed your career center, but they were evasive. (I realize the joint degree isn't good for most jobs, but I'm still interested :))

1) It depended on the class load each semester and the point in the semester. As a rule of thumb you will spend two hours working out of class for every hour you spend in class. The typical course load is 12-16 hours per semester, so figure 24-32 hours of studying. Some classes require more, some less. Different clinics also take up different amounts of time. My clinic was 12 credits, so I only had one other class. You'll just have to get a feel for what works for you.

2) Public transit in DC is good in that it covers a lot of ground (though I think the system itself can be fairly dysfunctional). Still, between the train and the buses (particularly the Circulator, which is great and stops right at campus) you will only need a car if you don't live near public transportation. DC doesn't have a ton of grocery stores, but there's a new Safeway in walking distance from campus and if you live in Gewirz they have a shopping shuttle.

3) I'm sure I know someone who was in the JD/MPP program, but I don't know enough about it. As admissions if they can put you in touch with someone - they are pretty good about that.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:06 pm

thexfactor wrote:How do transfers fare at OCI? 10-12% 40-60 ranked school.

Thanks in advanced!

Your mileage may vary and I'm not as familiar with how things went at OCI last fall. My year (fall 2008), I know several transfers from schools good and not so good who fared quite well. I worked at one of the more prestigious DC firms over the summer and a colleague was a Georgetown student who had transferred from Chicago-Kent (ranked #80).

lgleye

Postby lgleye » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:37 pm

H
Last edited by lgleye on Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:43 pm

How is placement in NYC? Do you know of any people below median that got NYC?

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:30 pm

armedwithamind wrote:How is placement in NYC? Do you know of any people below median that got NYC?

Hi, I'm another 3L here. I'll take a crack at this.

I don't know any below median that got biglaw in NYC. I know some at median who got biglaw in Boston and DC. Great interview skills, cool work experience. I am sort of outside of the NYC biglaw community, though, so I can't really say. I know many people went to NYC - I expect the majority of biglaw people (which I'd estimate at.. 30-40% of the school?)

johndhi

Postby johndhi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 pm

lgleye wrote:Hi:

I'm a 1L, and finally seeing the ight at the end of the tunnel.........although I know that grades are my #1 focus, I'm starting to think a bit about OCI.
Can someone tell me about the term selectivity, what it means, and how it figures into the ranking/bidding process for OCI? Thanks.

the TERM selectivity?

OCS releases a list of the GPA of students who have interviewed with particular firms in the past, with the admonition that the numbers are a little low because firms are slightly more selective these days. that will help you out. I think OCI is worth a shot from slightly-below median and above, but I'm no expert.

account1

Postby account1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:17 pm

- What is the process for becoming a Resident Fellow? Is it common to be picked again for 3L year, if you were picked for your 2L? Do you know anyone who was/is one? How was their experience?

- Have you heard anyone having problems with pest who lived in the student housing Geriwz?

- Are merit scholarships given in 2L and 3L years based on grades?

Thanks in advance.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”