Georgetown 3L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tommytahoe

Re: Georgetown 3L Taking Questions

Postby tommytahoe » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:45 pm

Also, you can get savvy with craigslist (where really most housing activity is happening), by putting up your own post. By doing so, you can say what you're flat-out looking for, and so that those who respond will necessarily not be the personality profiles you might not like (ie, partiers, or 19-year-olds, or squares or what have you). So, it allows others to self-select out instead of you having to search through the masses looking for mr/mrs right roommate.
It can also give you a chance to advertise yourself a little, so that those who do respond did so b/c they like your attitude or housing philosophy or whatever.
Then, at the same time you can scour others' postings and therefore double your efforts.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm

ChiSoxinDC wrote:
Kim617 wrote:This is going to be sort of a weird question, and it's not necessarily about Georgetown itself, but it matters to me. I'm a big Giants fan, and I was wondering that since Giants games are probably not shown in DC, are there sports bars close by (I'll probably be living in Gewirz) that will show all the NFL games every week?

http://www.urbantailgate.com/teams.php? ... l.com-t.19

There will be other bars where you don't feel outnumbered, but here's a start.

Thanks! I'm sure there are a lot of NYers down in DC, so I doubt it'll be as bad as I think.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:10 pm

Kim617 wrote:
ChiSoxinDC wrote:
Kim617 wrote:This is going to be sort of a weird question, and it's not necessarily about Georgetown itself, but it matters to me. I'm a big Giants fan, and I was wondering that since Giants games are probably not shown in DC, are there sports bars close by (I'll probably be living in Gewirz) that will show all the NFL games every week?

http://www.urbantailgate.com/teams.php? ... l.com-t.19

There will be other bars where you don't feel outnumbered, but here's a start.

Thanks! I'm sure there are a lot of NYers down in DC, so I doubt it'll be as bad as I think.

Too many if you ask me, but that's another topic for another day!

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:28 pm

washingtonian wrote:thanks for taking questions. this is so helpful! i have gotten into a few higher-ranked t14 schools. but, i do want to pursue a career in dc (not sure yet if i want to do big law or govt/public interest). do you think gtown is worth passing up higher ranked schools, including a t6, just to stay in dc? thanks!

The honest answer is that I'm not sure. I think there are both benefits and disadvantages to attending Georgetown as opposed to higher ranked schools if you want to work in DC. Many students here turned down at least one higher ranked law school for Georgetown, but those are obviously individual choices.

First, as a general rule, I do think there is some value to going to a better ranked school - especially in this economy. I think the difference between T-14 schools in this regard, however, is much smaller than with some lower ranked schools. The same student at NYU, Georgetown, and UVA will likely get the same or similar employment opportunities. I do think that some places give special preference to Harvard, Yale, and Stanford, but I don't think it makes a major difference and once you are outside of those schools I think the difference is pretty minimal within the "elite" law schools.

The benefits of attending school in DC are several. First, Georgetown alums are all over the DC legal community. There are ample opportunities to use your status as a Georgetown student for networking purposes. Second, you have opportunities to network all year. If you know what kind of law you want to practice you can attend bar events as a student member and meet attorneys in that field. You can also just reach out to people and arrange causal meetings at your leisure. Third, interviewing in DC is much easier when you go to school in DC. Plenty of students at other schools get jobs in DC, so it's not impossible, but it's not as convenient to have to travel. Last, but not least, you have the opportunity to intern/extern all year. DC jobs are very competitive over the summer no matter where you go to school, but as a Georgetown student you will find it very easy to get those same jobs during the academic year.

Among the disadvantages of attending Georgetown is that the majority of students want to work in DC. Even though law firms tend to extend as many or more offers to Georgetown students than from students at other top law schools, you have more Georgetown students seeking those jobs. During OCI, for instance, it's easier to get interviews in New York than it is in DC. Additionally, while Georgetown students fare well in government, public interest, and big law, we tend not to do as well with federal clerkships. That is not to say that Georgetown students don't get federal clerkships, but I think that is one area where law school ranking really does make a measurable difference.

I determined that DC was where I wanted to live and that it was better for me to go to school here and plant roots in the DC legal community while I was in school than to attend a higher ranked law school. It has worked well for me, but I do think there is something to be said for attending a higher ranked school - especially if it's HYS.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:16 am

For those who are interested in housing at Georgetown, you might find informative the following e-mail that just went out to the graduating class.

Dear Graduating Student
As you know, finding an apartment can be an exhilarating, but often challenging experience. The Office of Residence Life would like to aide new students by seeking apartment referrals for the incoming class. The information collected will be used to assist current and future law center students in their search for housing; your insight and awareness will provide a valuable resource to the Office of Residence Life and your fellow classmates.
If you will be vacating your housing accommodations, and you have had a positive living experience, please complete the attached apartment referral form, and email it to xxxx.
A Law Center housing search facebook page has been set up to exchange information and ideas regarding housing in and beyond the Washington metro area. Another option for finding a sub letter is to attend our S.H.O.P. (Student Housing Orientation Program) which has been planned for early April. The community table is the perfect place to discuss neighborhood options and find someone to possibly finish the remaining time on your lease.
I realize that this is a very busy time and that your time is limited with graduation preparation; but this could be an opportunity for both you and our incoming class to exchange mutually beneficial housing information. If you are interested in sharing your information with other students, or you have any other questions or concerns please email me at xxxx, or call the Office of Residence Life for additional information at (202) 662-9290.
Sincerely,

xxxx
Off-Campus Housing Coordinator

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Can any current students comment on the laptop situation as far as accessibility to outlets for charging? I'm trying to decide on the laptop I want and I need to know how much of a priority I should be putting on battery life...

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:46 pm

Torvon wrote:Can any current students comment on the laptop situation as far as accessibility to outlets for charging? I'm trying to decide on the laptop I want and I need to know how much of a priority I should be putting on battery life...

Most classrooms have ample outlets for everyone, but there are a couple of the smaller seminar rooms where outlets are harder to come by. Still, as long as you have a charged battery there are normally enough outlets for one person to charge the first half of class and then to switch at the break.

amolson04

Postby amolson04 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi! Thanks for taking questions. It's awesome :)

What can you say about the level of competition at GULC? On the scale of cutthroat to collegial, where would you put GULC ...

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:07 am

amolson04 wrote:Hi! Thanks for taking questions. It's awesome :)

What can you say about the level of competition at GULC? On the scale of cutthroat to collegial, where would you put GULC ...

Competition and collegiality do not have to be mutually exclusive. I think Georgetown is competitive, as is any top law school, to the extent that you have hundreds of people who are used to being the best at what they do all in one setting. That competition makes people work harder to keep up with each other and is fueled by the first year curve (again, not really unique to Georgetown).

At the same time, I've found this to be a collegial place. People are willing to share notes if you have to miss a class. Students study together and talk through issues together. No one rips pages out of books (perhaps because not many people use library books anymore, but still). Professors are generally accessible and students don't mind talking to professors in groups - there aren't secret questions or anything.

One thing I like is that 1L professors for your small section class (30-35 students) are encouraged to hold a social event for students in the first semester. Some have parties at their house, mine took us out in even smaller groups for pizza. That enabled us to get to know a professor well and to get to know fellow students who we hadn't interacted with at that point. I think that helped make things more collegial.

Xizenta

Postby Xizenta » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:40 am

ChiSoxinDC wrote:
amolson04 wrote:Hi! Thanks for taking questions. It's awesome :)

Competition and collegiality do not have to be mutually exclusive. I think Georgetown is competitive, as is any top law school, to the extent that you have hundreds of people who are used to being the best at what they do all in one setting. That competition makes people work harder to keep up with each other and is fueled by the first year curve (again, not really unique to Georgetown).

At the same time, I've found this to be a collegial place. People are willing to share notes if you have to miss a class. Students study together and talk through issues together. No one rips pages out of books (perhaps because not many people use library books anymore, but still). Professors are generally accessible and students don't mind talking to professors in groups - there aren't secret questions or anything.

One thing I like is that 1L professors for your small section class (30-35 students) are encouraged to hold a social event for students in the first semester. Some have parties at their house, mine took us out in even smaller groups for pizza. That enabled us to get to know a professor well and to get to know fellow students who we hadn't interacted with at that point. I think that helped make things more collegial.

Hi, I read on the website about GULC's LRAP program that
"
Georgetown Law’s faculty approved a plan that will enable graduates who work in the public sector for 10 years – and earn up to $75,000 a year – to have all of their federal law school loans forgiven."

I don't really understand what their actual program does. Doesn't anyone who works in PI for 10 years get absolved of their debt under the federal IBR program anyway? I don't understand what Georgetown itself is offering above that.

Also, about how many hours a week would you say you studied during 1L? I see a lot of comments here and there and noticed that you share the opinion as well yourself, that 0L summer shouldn't be spent doing any substantive prep. With so much riding on 1L success, how can anyone say that? Top 20% at GULC are fine, but the other 80% are screwed... It seems like that summer of prep can make the difference between a successful life and a year or more of sending out 50 resumes a week to shitlaw firms after graduation.

Really worried - thanks for answering questions.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:56 am

Xizenta wrote:Hi, I read on the website about GULC's LRAP program that
"
Georgetown Law’s faculty approved a plan that will enable graduates who work in the public sector for 10 years – and earn up to $75,000 a year – to have all of their federal law school loans forgiven."

I don't really understand what their actual program does. Doesn't anyone who works in PI for 10 years get absolved of their debt under the federal IBR program anyway? I don't understand what Georgetown itself is offering above that.

Also, about how many hours a week would you say you studied during 1L? I see a lot of comments here and there and noticed that you share the opinion as well yourself, that 0L summer shouldn't be spent doing any substantive prep. With so much riding on 1L success, how can anyone say that? Top 20% at GULC are fine, but the other 80% are screwed... It seems like that summer of prep can make the difference between a successful life and a year or more of sending out 50 resumes a week to shitlaw firms after graduation.

Really worried - thanks for answering questions.

I don't know much about the LRAP program, as I have been planning on a private sector career since choosing to attend law school and the program has changed a bit over the past three years. If you have questions about the program, I would encourage you to call financial aid or the Office of Public Interest and Community Service (OPICS).

I'm not sure that a summer or prep is really going to make much of a difference. Each law school professor has his/her own method and will emphasize his/her own material. Of the students I know who did well in their 1L years, I don't know of any who did a prep course. I think you are far better off clearing your mind and showing up in late August ready to hit the ground running. While I can't scientifically say that a prep course will hurt you, I think it is far more important to focus and work hard when you get to campus. Some people might be able to do both, but I think there is value in coming in fresh and energized.

And it's almost certainly better than top 20% -- don't know the statistics for the current 2L class and I imagine they are much worse, but from my class I would say that at least half of the students who wanted law firm jobs got them.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:04 am

Xiventa, I'm a 0L going to Georgetown next year as well, and just in case you want an answer to this quickly, here is the way it works:

For people working in public service or public interest positions, the federal gov't through IBR ensures that you pay a max of 15% of your over-the-povery line income in student loans. After 10 years, the remainder is forgiven.

For people working in a legal position (either practicing or in a position which requires or suggests a JD), and who are working in public service or public interest, Georgetown will pay that 15%, if you make less than 75,000 a year. So you pay 0 on your student loans. If you are making more, then Georgtown helps you in a diminishing format. It is really quite incredible for those who are going into the non-profit world, because it is unlikely they will ever pay anything on their loans.

Really the only people going to Georgetown who have to worry about loans are those who are shooting for biglaw, fail, and are stuck in lower paying firm jobs.

There is a link to an hour long video on the LRAP program on the GULC C/o 2013 TLS page, somewhere in the first 3 pages.

I also have a question. What do you know about work study?? Is it too much during 1L? are there any worthwhile jobs that you can put on resume, or chances to interact and assist professors through it, or is it just boring stuff like answering phones? Thanks!!

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:I also have a question. What do you know about work study?? Is it too much during 1L? are there any worthwhile jobs that you can put on resume, or chances to interact and assist professors through it, or is it just boring stuff like answering phones? Thanks!!

Pick your work study carefully. They encourage you not to work as a 1L, but there are jobs like working at the library circulation desk that would still allow you to study. Many professors offer research assistant positions and that is a great way to make contacts and conduct interesting work.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:23 pm

ChiSoxinDC wrote:
Interminable_Waiting wrote:I also have a question. What do you know about work study?? Is it too much during 1L? are there any worthwhile jobs that you can put on resume, or chances to interact and assist professors through it, or is it just boring stuff like answering phones? Thanks!!

Pick your work study carefully. They encourage you not to work as a 1L, but there are jobs like working at the library circulation desk that would still allow you to study. Many professors offer research assistant positions and that is a great way to make contacts and conduct interesting work.

Thanks. Do 1Ls get research assistant positions or is that something for 2L's etc..., while 1L's do library and phones?

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:35 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:Thanks. Do 1Ls get research assistant positions or is that something for 2L's etc..., while 1L's do library and phones?

I know 1Ls who worked as research assistants over the summer. I don't know anyone who did during the year, but I don't know if they was by choice or by necessity.

GermX

Postby GermX » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:27 pm

I have a question--regarding the other big D.C. law school, George Washington Law School, is competition with it an issue or do GULC and GW both get a fair share of everything?

burroughsj1

Postby burroughsj1 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:46 pm

I know this thread is pretty old, but I have a quick question. How do they handle exams as far as your computer? On the website, it sounds as if using your laptop for the exams is optional. Is it pretty standard to use it? If so, do they require any special software to lock it down during the exam? Thanks!

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:19 am

GermX wrote:I have a question--regarding the other big D.C. law school, George Washington Law School, is competition with it an issue or do GULC and GW both get a fair share of everything?

In what way? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "fair share of everything."

I don't mean this to be cocky, but I don't think that Georgetown and GW are really viewed as peer institutions. When it comes to competition for jobs, internships, and clerkships Georgetown students are much more likely to consider Virginia, Penn, Duke, and Harvard as competition than GW. That's not to say that GW students don't get jobs or that a GW student will never get an opportunity over a Georgetown student, but they are not the main competition.

Georgetown and GW co-host an annual public interest job fair. Aside from that, there really isn't that much reason to think about GW while you are a student at Georgetown.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:22 am

burroughsj1 wrote:I know this thread is pretty old, but I have a quick question. How do they handle exams as far as your computer? On the website, it sounds as if using your laptop for the exams is optional. Is it pretty standard to use it? If so, do they require any special software to lock it down during the exam? Thanks!

All exams (except multiple choice) can be taken on laptops and 99% of students take exams on their laptops. Georgetown doesn't use exam software, you just take the exam in Word using a template the registrar distributes and you upload the exam using the campus wifi network when you are done. It is up to each professor to set the rules for use of notes or the Internet during exams - some are closed note, some are limited open note, others allow you to use just about anything you want (except IM and e-mail).

Dr. Strangelove

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 am

If I know I want to work in NYC after law school, is it still a good idea to attend GULC?
I really like GULC and its environment but for personal reasons, I want to be in NY after law school.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:31 pm

Dr. Strangelove wrote:If I know I want to work in NYC after law school, is it still a good idea to attend GULC?
I really like GULC and its environment but for personal reasons, I want to be in NY after law school.

It's not a bad idea. More Georgetown grads take the New York bar than any other state's bar and New York firms actively recruit at Georgetown. At least one big law firm in New York had more Georgetown students in last year's summer class than those from any other school.

There are some advantages to going to school in the same city - most employers will take more students from NYU or Columbia than Georgetown, but you also have to figure that most students from those schools want to work in New York. That's the case with Georgetown and DC - it's actually typically slightly easier to get a law firm job in New York as a Georgetown student than in DC.

shadow.

Postby shadow. » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Last edited by shadow. on Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

InsertCleverName

Postby InsertCleverName » Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:05 am

Between attending class and studying, about how many hours do you spend on school work per week and do you feel you have enough time to commit to clinics, journals, etc. without feeling too overloaded?

How's public transit in DC? Is it good enough someone could live without a car and get everywhere s/he would need to be? Also, all the schools in my state provide free public transit passes with tuition. Does Georgetown do something similar?

Do you know anybody that's done the joint JD/MPP? If so, can you comment on their experiences in the program and potential job prospects? Emailed your career center, but they were evasive. (I realize the joint degree isn't good for most jobs, but I'm still interested :))

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:41 am

How do transfers fare at OCI? 10-12% 40-60 ranked school.

Thanks in advanced!

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:58 pm

shadow. wrote:Posted this in the Legal Employment forum, but no bites. Thanks for any help.

I'm starting GULC PT in the fall, and planning to transfer to FT.

At this point, I was planning on not having a job during the year, but hopefully getting a legal position during the summer and taking the two courses required to switch.

Will not having a job during the year negatively impact me in any way regarding 1L summer employment or in the future? Are the same positions available (perhaps not ITE, but in general) to me as regular 1Ls?

I'd appreciate any other thoughts/comments.

Thanks!

I can't help you too much there, unfortunately. As you know, 1L summer jobs are fairly competitive, so anything could make a difference. If it comes up that you don't have a job and your grades aren't stellar, it certainly could raise questions, but it is so fact specific that I'm not sure anyone can give you a definitive answer.

I only know a couple people who were in the evening program and who did not work during the day, but they seemed to find jobs doing what they wanted to do (one at a law firm and one doing entertainment law). I'm not sure how representative that is, though. You might want to e-mail admissions and ask if they can put you in touch with someone from the evening program.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”