Georgetown 3L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ChiSoxinDC

Georgetown 3L Taking Questions

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:40 am

I had started a thread in the Law School Admissions Forum, but this is probably the better location for this topic.

Old thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108336&p=2650958#p2650958.

In short, I am a Georgetown 3L who found this site helpful when I made my decision, so I want to offer my insight to assist those of you making a similar decision.

To answer some of the basic questions:
- I have accepted a job offer for next year with a top DC firm
- I am right around the top 10% of my class, on moot court, in a clinic, and on a "minor journal"
- My law school decision included most of the T14 schools in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic
- I already lived in DC prior to law school, so I have never lived on campus (but I know many people who have)
Last edited by ChiSoxinDC on Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

beef wellington

Re: Georgetown 3L Taking Questions

Postby beef wellington » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:09 am

ChiSoxinDC wrote:I had started a thread in the Law School Admissions Forum, but this is probably the better location for this topic.

Old thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=108336&p=2650958#p2650958.

In short, I am a Georgetown 3L who found this site helpful when I made my decision, so I want to offer my insight to assist those of you making a similar decision.

To answer some of the basic questions:
- I have accepted a job offer for next year with a top DC firm
- I am right around the top 10% of my class, on moot court, and on a "minor journal"
- My law school decision included most of the T14 schools in the Northeast/Mid Atlantic
- I already lived in DC prior to law school, so I have never lived on campus (but I know many people who have)

As far as housing, what's the best deal on GULC's metro line? Or would you recommend looking even beyond that? I've seen some pretty outrageous prices quoted but I'm willing to commute on the metro.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Where to live

There are many areas to consider. Capitol Hill (walking distance), Dupont Circle, Silver Spring (farther, but cheaper), Cleveland Park. If you are willing to transfer on the Metro, there are some decent places in Crystal City and you can Yellow Line to Gallery Place which is a long walk or a short transfer to school.

My advice is to keep an eye on Washington City Paper. You'll find some decent housing that way. Also, don't rule out renting a small row house and then finding 3-4 other to share with. You can either find other law students or find roommates on Craig's List or the City Paper.

Personally, I lived in Ballston (Arlington) the first two years and Rockville this year, but most students live closer in.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:46 pm

...so with the way things are in DC right now, and the economy overall, would you go to G'town and pay sticker? Let's assume it is the top ranked and only t14 school you got into?

What is the overall feel right now? I am currently on the WL, so obviously if I am lucky enough to get accepted, I wont be getting any cash...I love DC, and own a condo there...but wonder if it is really, truly worth it...

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:09 pm

nowinGA . . . .good question. It definitely depends on your circumstances.

Would I go to Georgetown full sticker over a lower ranked school on a scholarship? Yes. More now than ever it's important to go to a top tier law school. With law firms scaling back their recruiting, the lower ranked schools suffer the most. Recruiting was not as strong as it has been at Georgetown this year, but my understanding is that some of the other schools in DC barely had OCI. So it you are set on becoming a lawyer in DC, then absolutely.

If you are not sure about law school, then good economy or bad economy I would recommend finding something else to do until you know for sure.

There is no doubt that it's tough out there, but it's not doom and gloom. People are generally still happy from what I can tell.

lt0826

Postby lt0826 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:11 am

What clinic are you on and how competitive was it to get on it? I am interested in the women's human rights clinic and am curious if it is difficult to get into the clinic(s) you desire.

Also, how accessible have you found the professors?

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:40 am

Re: Clinics

I am in the Institute for Public Representation. We are a public interest law firm with three divisions: civil rights, environment, and First Amendment/media. Clinics are difficult to get into, but I don't know anyone who wanted a clinic and did not get one (but I do know someone who did not get his first choice and got into another clinic off the wait list). If you know exactly which clinic you want and are set on doing it, apply as a 2L to increase your chances.

For women's human rights you actually have two possibilities, since the Center for Applied Legal Studies is related, but from a different legal perspective.

I've found most of the professors accessible. As a 1L in Curriculum A you will have one small section class (torts, property, or Con Law) taught by a professor. That professor will plan some kind of social event for the class - mine broke us into groups of 6 and took us to dinner. All professors have office hours. Georgetown does use a decent number of adjuncts, which is a good thing, but they can be more challenging to track down sometimes. The only people who I have heard complain about professor accessibility seem to want professors to reach out to them. That's generally not how it works.

For moot court I have also blindly e-mailed several professors (not mine, just experts in the topic area) for assistance and not once have they turned me down.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:40 pm

I have 3 questions:

1) I read on the GULC website that financial aid is disbursed to students' accounts approximately 10 days before class and then it takes an additional 3-5 business days to have the money deposited into your bank account. Is that consistent with your experience?

2) What can you tell me about the Takoma Park area up north? I'm married and looking for a good area for my wife to spend a lot of time alone, and she gets scared of rough areas really easily.

3) Last year someone was reporting that GULC is not competitive at all and that you could pretty easily get on any law journal you wanted, is this your experience?

jd2013

Postby jd2013 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for taking questions! I love GULC and will most likely be there next year!

Congrats on being top 10%! What strategies did you employ to excel in your classes? Do you have any tips for doing well on law school exams? Did you do anything prior to starting law school that you think helped you in this respect? Also, what did you do during your summers and did you work at any point during the academic year?

Thanks again!

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:47 pm

Torvon wrote:1) I read on the GULC website that financial aid is disbursed to students' accounts approximately 10 days before class and then it takes an additional 3-5 business days to have the money deposited into your bank account. Is that consistent with your experience?

My financial situation is somewhat unique so I do not get loans through the school. Unfortunately I am not the right person to ask about this one.

Torvon wrote:2) What can you tell me about the Takoma Park area up north? I'm married and looking for a good area for my wife to spend a lot of time alone, and she gets scared of rough areas really easily.

Takoma Park is nice - it has a very calm, neighborhood like feel. It's definitely not a "rough area" but it can be transitional in some parts - that said, I haven't been up there in several years. My impression is that it's more urban than Falls Church or Rockville, but more suburban than Dupont or Cleveland Park. Takoma Park, DC is more urban, Takoma Park, MD is farther from Metro, but better to "spend a lot of time alone."

Torvon wrote:3) Last year someone was reporting that GULC is not competitive at all and that you could pretty easily get on any law journal you wanted, is this your experience?

I'm guessing that person didn't really go to Georgetown. It's pretty easy to get on a journal, but the main law journal is fairly competitive. I don't find Georgetown competitive in the personal interaction sense, but there are plenty of bright students here and I certainly wouldn't take things for granted.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:10 am

jd2013 wrote:
What strategies did you employ to excel in your classes? Do you have any tips for doing well on law school exams? Did you do anything prior to starting law school that you think helped you in this respect? Also, what did you do during your summers and did you work at any point during the academic year?

I'm not sure that I had any particular strategy. I kept up with my reading and tried to pay attention in class as much as possible. In some ways law school is like elementary school - focus on your reading and writing to succeed! Don't worry about outlining too early - it really helps to get your head around things at the end of the year. I also found a great study group 1L year to discuss cases and practice exams together. For me, at least, creating outlines has been very helpful. The classes where I either made my own outline or substantially edited someone else's are the ones where I did best. When I either didn't use an outline or used someone else's I tended not to grasp the material as well.

I came to law school with some work experience, and that prepared me mentally to tackle the heavy reading. But I wouldn't recommend anything substantive. Just relax - you'll work hard enough once you get here!

During my summers I worked at two private law firms as a summer associate. I did an internship one semester, but did not work in a paid job during the academic year. I honestly couldn't imagine working and doing everything else that I was doing 1L year. Something would have had to give. You can probably work a few hours a week, but anything more would require more discipline than I have.

thedogship

Postby thedogship » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:38 am

I'm a Georgetown student (and DC native) and Takoma Park blows. Not nice and far away. There are plenty of affordable areas in DC if you do a little homework. No need to put yourself in awful Takoma Park.

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:35 pm

I would say it really makes sense to live close by. I live in Capitol Hill near campus, and I'm so glad I decided to stay close by.

beef wellington

Postby beef wellington » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:46 pm

nealric wrote:I would say it really makes sense to live close by. I live in Capitol Hill near campus, and I'm so glad I decided to stay close by.

Would you mind elaborating a bit? Does it not get that much cheaper in the burbs?

nealric

Postby nealric » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Would you mind elaborating a bit? Does it not get that much cheaper in the burbs?

It gets cheaper in the far-out burbs, but housing in the burbs tends to be geared towards families.

You can rent a room in a capitol hill rowhouse for between 700-1200 (depending on how nice you are going). Closest to eastern market tends to get a bit more pricey. A lot of people live in the luxury apartment places near campus, but IMO they look like airport hotels inside and are way overpriced.

Torvon

Postby Torvon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:23 am

nealric wrote:

It gets cheaper in the far-out burbs, but housing in the burbs tends to be geared towards families.

You can rent a room in a capitol hill rowhouse for between 700-1200 (depending on how nice you are going). Closest to eastern market tends to get a bit more pricey. A lot of people live in the luxury apartment places near campus, but IMO they look like airport hotels inside and are way overpriced.

I guess my biggest problem is everything I find online that is close (and not TOTALLY out of control pricing) has really crappy reviews about roaches, bad neighbors, horrible management and on and on. Unfortunately I can't afford to go out there before actually moving so I can't see it in person. How is the Adams Morgan area as far as safety and "not-trashy" factor?

tommytahoe

Postby tommytahoe » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:08 am

I think you will find prices that go over $1000, for sure, but also ones that fall below that number as well. I am not a GULC student (though I sure hope to be!), but I have friends and a sister who live there, and I interned there last Fall.

Anyway, you all might want to look into a shared-house/shared-apt. situation, if you aren't already planning on doing so. For those of you averse to the idea, I swear, you save a bunch on $$ and space that way. Tou may really want your own space, but you can sniff out people who seem like they fit your profile, go on hunch, be respectful of each other's spaces, etc, and clean up after yourself. If they're law students/working professionals, even better. Low-key, low-noise quotient, and low rent cost.

Hey, GULC 3L, have you been able to participate with/attend any of the numerous symposia and regular speaker events/lectures at GULC? What are they like?

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:44 pm

This is going to be sort of a weird question, and it's not necessarily about Georgetown itself, but it matters to me. I'm a big Giants fan, and I was wondering that since Giants games are probably not shown in DC, are there sports bars close by (I'll probably be living in Gewirz) that will show all the NFL games every week?

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:02 am

I guess my biggest problem is everything I find online that is close (and not TOTALLY out of control pricing) has really crappy reviews about roaches, bad neighbors, horrible management and on and on. Unfortunately I can't afford to go out there before actually moving so I can't see it in person. How is the Adams Morgan area as far as safety and "not-trashy" factor?

I very strongly recommend sharing a house with people instead of living in a place large enough to have "reviews". IMO big apartment complexes feel like hotels inside and are either way overpriced or trashy.

If you are that strongly opposed to roommates, consider an English basement in capitol hill (basement apartment in a rowhouse). Despite the "basement" name, many of them still have decent natural light.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:57 am

Kim617 wrote:This is going to be sort of a weird question, and it's not necessarily about Georgetown itself, but it matters to me. I'm a big Giants fan, and I was wondering that since Giants games are probably not shown in DC, are there sports bars close by (I'll probably be living in Gewirz) that will show all the NFL games every week?

Buffalo Billiards in Dupont shows all the games and there's usually a decent Giants contingent. I've never been to Penn Quarter Sports Tavern but its near GULC and probably shows all the games too.

Kim617

Postby Kim617 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:32 pm

chutzpah wrote:
Kim617 wrote:This is going to be sort of a weird question, and it's not necessarily about Georgetown itself, but it matters to me. I'm a big Giants fan, and I was wondering that since Giants games are probably not shown in DC, are there sports bars close by (I'll probably be living in Gewirz) that will show all the NFL games every week?

Buffalo Billiards in Dupont shows all the games and there's usually a decent Giants contingent. I've never been to Penn Quarter Sports Tavern but its near GULC and probably shows all the games too.

Thanks! I think I'm going to have to explore both options. I don't want to be the only giants fan with a bunch of redskins fans running around. Probably not a safe option :wink:

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:16 pm

http://www.urbantailgate.com/teams.php? ... l.com-t.19

There will be other bars where you don't feel outnumbered, but here's a start.

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:22 pm

tommytahoe wrote:Hey, GULC 3L, have you been able to participate with/attend any of the numerous symposia and regular speaker events/lectures at GULC? What are they like?

Yes. There are many different symposia and speakers targeting different groups. Even when events aren't targeted at students (such as the annual meeting of the Sandra Day O'Connor Project on the Judiciary) students are often invited to attend. Several of the law journals bring speakers in for annual symposia. Some are more interesting to the general student body while others are more targeted at very specific interest groups.

To give you an idea, the latest weekly student events e-mail included:

The Georgetown UnIversity
Master of Arts Program in Conflict Resolution, and
The Comparative Government Field, Department of Government

Constitutional Design for Severely Divided Societies
Dr. Donald L. Horowitz

---

Georgetown Human Rights Action presents a Professional Practitioner Lunch with Justice Richard Goldstone

Justice Richard Goldstone is a world-renowned lawyer and an expert on international law, including criminal, human rights and humanitarian law. His many accomplishments include serving as Chief Prosecutor of the United Nations International Criminal Tribunals for the former Yugoslavia and Rwanda and serving as a Justice on the Constitutional Court of South Africa.

---

Students for Sensible Drug Policy Presents
Weed Wars: The Past, Present and Future of Marijuana Policy

---

ChiSoxinDC

Postby ChiSoxinDC » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:29 pm

Torvon wrote:
nealric wrote:

Do you have any friends in DC who would be willing to check out a promising place for you? I would agree that if money is an issue (as it is for most students) you are much better looking for either a group house or an English basement than looking for an apartment complex. Yes, even some married couples live in group housing arrangements.

My recommendation, though, would be to scour the City Paper and follow up on promising leads. If you want peace of mind and an apartment just for your and your wife without taking the time to look around, I would strongly consider Arlington. There you will find some nicer buildings for substantially less than near campus. If there are any specific complexes you are inquiring about, feel free to post it here of PM me and I'll let you know if I've heard of it before.

The problem with specifying neighborhoods is that most neighborhoods are mixed. Adams Morgan, as an example, has some great small buildings off the main strip. There are also apartments right over Eighteenth St. that are nice, but not exactly quiet. A couple blocks away, however, are some places you really wouldn't want to live.

Georgetown's housing office can also provide some assistance finding off campus housing.

Good luck!

washingtonian

Postby washingtonian » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:34 pm

thanks for taking questions. this is so helpful! i have gotten into a few higher-ranked t14 schools. but, i do want to pursue a career in dc (not sure yet if i want to do big law or govt/public interest). do you think gtown is worth passing up higher ranked schools, including a t6, just to stay in dc? thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”