University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Katdaddy
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Katdaddy » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:56 am

tequilasunriseplz wrote:I have a really silly question b/c I should know by now, but is McGeorge a tier 2 school?

I only ask because this U.S. News and World Report site shows it as a tier 1 school:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... rch/page+4


It's a T2 (all schools ranked 50 or 51-100 by USNWR).

travvo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby travvo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Soon to enter the t-50 when the brain trust (i.e. class of '11) leaves its mark.

tequilasunriseplz
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby tequilasunriseplz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:00 pm

Thanks Kat. That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. I was really surprised to learn that not too long ago McG was a tier 4 school. I guess it has really shot up in the rankings so hopefully, trav, it will continue to do so even more. Not that rank is everything, but it helps later I suppose.

Is anyone looking for scholarships for law school or can anyone suggest any good websites to look for some?

skylar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby skylar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:17 pm

As for the scholarships, try Fastweb.com.

As for the rankings, I read somewhere that McGeorge was on some law school admissions guru lady's Top 10 Sleeper Schools. It's also tied for #1 in the west for international law with Stanford. Not shabby, particularly because the subject area rankings are voted by the actual schools with those programs. Not this terribly arbitrary big ranking. A peer ranking means a lot more to me, personally.

So yeah, McGeorge is pretty awesome. And will be in that Tier 1 soon enough.

allycat
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby allycat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:48 pm

Is anyone else trying to get housing on campus? I haven't heard anything about it yet, but I asked for a 1-bedroom and I'm not sure how many of them there are. Hopefully there's more TLS people that are going to be living on-campus too.

travvo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby travvo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:57 pm

I talked to the housing lady today. She said she would get back to me by the end of June. She couldn't give me an answer as to whether or not she thought i would get a spot. Its all up in the air i guess.

PatentX
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby PatentX » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:05 pm

If anyone can't get a spot on campus I have a 2 bedroom 2 bath in Arden
:D

I am also willing to spout off on my experience as a recent grad if you have specific questions

allycat
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby allycat » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Hopefully you get a spot. I'd like them to tell me sooner rather than later, but I guess I'll just have to twiddle my thumbs and wait.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:18 pm

To the guy saying he wanted to have a BBQ/kegger in a local park: McClatchy Park, which is right by McG is not the sort of place you can put out a keg of beer and not have the drifters descend like flies. Other Sacramento parks are also not terribly keg-friendly, unless you like haggling with the SPD. I suggest going with bottled beers or a private residence.

(Don't mean to be a wet blanket - just sayin')

tequilasunriseplz
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby tequilasunriseplz » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:17 am

Actually, Anna B. has offered her place for the BBQ on the 7th. She just needs everyone's e-mail to send an evite.

There is more info on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group ... 3195656831

PatentX
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:39 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby PatentX » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:22 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:To the guy saying he wanted to have a BBQ/kegger in a local park: McClatchy Park, which is right by McG is not the sort of place you can put out a keg of beer and not have the drifters descend like flies. Other Sacramento parks are also not terribly keg-friendly, unless you like haggling with the SPD. I suggest going with bottled beers or a private residence.

(Don't mean to be a wet blanket - just sayin')


I just want to second this warning. You risk attracting worse than drifters in that park. They have warned students against entering the park during past orientations.

If you park your car there don't be surprised if someone smashes your window either

Chibi
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:02 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Chibi » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:00 pm

Crossing fingers for housing, I asked for a studio...

allycat
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby allycat » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:23 pm

I just got notice that I got a room.....studio....so I'm happy about that....one less thing to worry about.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:27 am

For those of you headed to McGeorge: As you know from my repeated postings in this thread, I am from Sacramento and looking forward to going back to the area. I want to go to either Davis or McGeorge and I just took the LSAT this week. Obviously I don't know what I got, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 155-165 range (blind guess obviously).

Would you guys mind sharing your stats to give me an idea of what it took to get you in? My GPA is good (3.75), so I'm hoping that even if I get a 155 or so, I will still be good, but some consolation and encouragement would be much appreciated. Also, I graduated in 2007 and am doing Teach For America, so that will help somewhat too.

Katdaddy
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Katdaddy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 am

SoftBoiledLife wrote:For those of you headed to McGeorge: As you know from my repeated postings in this thread, I am from Sacramento and looking forward to going back to the area. I want to go to either Davis or McGeorge and I just took the LSAT this week. Obviously I don't know what I got, but I'm guessing somewhere in the 155-165 range (blind guess obviously).

Would you guys mind sharing your stats to give me an idea of what it took to get you in? My GPA is good (3.75), so I'm hoping that even if I get a 155 or so, I will still be good, but some consolation and encouragement would be much appreciated. Also, I graduated in 2007 and am doing Teach For America, so that will help somewhat too.


With a 3.75 and 157, you're a shoe-in UOP's Day Division (make sure you apply early). I didn't apply to Davis, but from what I saw in the TLS Cali thread you'll need a 162+ to be golden at Davis. A lot of people with 160s were rejected from Davis this past cycle. HTH

As far as my stats, I'm 25, 6' Leo.

travvo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby travvo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:38 am

Soft- I got a 159 3.3 gpa. I really shoudl've re-taken the LSAT but i waited until the last minute so i had to live with it. With a 3.75 (depending on the quality of your undergrad school ) you should be good with a 156 or so getting into UOP.

As far as my stats go - 48 years, 450lbs, i like long walks on the beach, entomology and i have an extensive coin collection as well as MANY cats.

Katdaddy
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:08 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Katdaddy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:08 pm

travvo wrote:As far as my stats go - 48 years, 450lbs, i like long walks on the beach, entomology and i have an extensive coin collection as well as MANY cats.


Grrrrrrrr! Travvo is going to get a ton of ass this semester!

tequilasunriseplz
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby tequilasunriseplz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:20 pm

Katdaddy wrote:
travvo wrote:As far as my stats go - 48 years, 450lbs, i like long walks on the beach, entomology and i have an extensive coin collection as well as MANY cats.


Grrrrrrrr! Travvo is going to get a ton of ass this semester!


oh baby...oh baby

at 450 lbs, then by "long" beach walks I'm assuming you mean being dropped on the sand by a dump truck to lay like a beached whale -- ...swoon

Now if only Victoria Secret made speedo thongs for men. Can they be sued for being discriminatory?

skylar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby skylar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:36 pm

tequilasunriseplz wrote:Now if only Victoria Secret made speedo thongs for men. Can they be sued for being discriminatory?



I seem to remember they were already sued for their discriminatory hiring practices. But then again, if a guy can be a stocker at Vicky's S, why would they want to do any other job there? But maybe Frederick's of Hollywood has something in stock for that romantic beach/dump truck adventure.

allycat
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby allycat » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:00 pm

skylar wrote:
tequilasunriseplz wrote:Now if only Victoria Secret made speedo thongs for men. Can they be sued for being discriminatory?



I seem to remember they were already sued for their discriminatory hiring practices. But then again, if a guy can be a stocker at Vicky's S, why would they want to do any other job there? But maybe Frederick's of Hollywood has something in stock for that romantic beach/dump truck adventure.


I'm pretty sure I have seen something from that line of swimwear. I worked at a water park and from the front, you could not see this man's speedo, only when he turned around was there a little black square covering the crack portion. There was too much skin covering the front part for it to be seen.

travvo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby travvo » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:42 pm

Yeah, thats my style for sure. Total studmuffin (more like a dozen stud muffins all in one). I dont mean to toot my own horn but well you know. Mass=Ego.

Regarding my love for long romantic walks on the beach;
I typically start rolling after a few hundred feet because i'm really round to be honest.

skylar
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby skylar » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:37 pm

travvo wrote:Yeah, thats my style for sure. Total studmuffin (more like a dozen stud muffins all in one). I dont mean to toot my own horn but well you know. Mass=Ego.

Regarding my love for long romantic walks on the beach;
I typically start rolling after a few hundred feet because i'm really round to be honest.



Travis, I can't wait to meet you. You. are. hilarious. Gold star.

User avatar
americangirlinparis
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:19 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby americangirlinparis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:55 pm

skylar wrote:You. are. hilarious. Gold star


Ditto. :D

For those wondering about housing (I always forget to look at who asks what...): I got "confirmed" on the list March 24, and then found out June 12.

Good luck!

travvo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby travvo » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:24 pm

Just got word on my housing as well. YAY, i'm glad i dont have to sleep in my car.

lmcelhat
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby lmcelhat » Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:43 pm

does anyone know how to open up an email account for mcgeorge?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest