University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
saleen
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:20 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby saleen » Tue May 13, 2008 2:09 pm

the round corner on 24th and S is my favorite dive.

antsinmypants
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby antsinmypants » Tue May 13, 2008 5:43 pm

If the men’s room has a trough urinal you know you’re in a great dive bar.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Wed May 14, 2008 11:28 am

As a native of Sacramento, let me suggest you some drinking establishments:

The Limelight on Alhambra is a great dive bar, full of locals, cheap, and right across from a 24-hr Safeway if you get munchies. SoCal's on Folsom is a fun time, usually filled with younger people. And, as has already been mentioned Streets of London is can't-miss because of the food too.

Really, I can't imagine coming to McGeorge and living anywhere but Midtown. It's the coolest neighborhood in the city.

antsinmypants
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby antsinmypants » Wed May 14, 2008 11:49 am

I have to start taking notes.

There used to be this great British pub near where I live. It was one of my fav restaurants. It closed and became just another sports bar, and I'm still trying to get over it. Anyway it really sounds like Streets may be my salvation!

travvo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby travvo » Wed May 14, 2008 12:07 pm

YEAH, i was definitely impressed when i stopped by there. Theres a big back open seating area and a restaurant... tons of English beers on tap to choose from that you don't see much of in the states. It was fairly cheap too, i stayed for a while, and got pretty knockered and only spent like 30$. It seemed like the food was probobly good too. I think we'll have to make a stop there early on.

antsinmypants
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby antsinmypants » Wed May 14, 2008 3:11 pm

So I just withdrew from all of my waitlisted schools (sans one). How can I get into a school ranked 95th yet get WLed from 3 of the 4 the 3rd & 4th Tier schools I applied to? I felt a great sense of satisfaction telling them where I will be studying this fall. I kinda wish there was a better way to say "F YOU" to them though. I get jaded quite easily. :x

travvo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby travvo » Wed May 14, 2008 5:13 pm

I am the same way, still waiting to hear from URichmond... I was surprized by SUNY buffalo's decision to waitlist me even though i was well suited to be accepted (LSAT and GPA wise)... I think that had to do with the fact that I got my applications in a bit late in the game.... For me wanting to go into International Law I think McGeorge will certainly be sufficient and more affordable than my other options in Boston and NYC. And theres also the California sunshine too.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:33 pm

travvo wrote:I am the same way, still waiting to hear from URichmond... I was surprized by SUNY buffalo's decision to waitlist me even though i was well suited to be accepted (LSAT and GPA wise)... I think that had to do with the fact that I got my applications in a bit late in the game.... For me wanting to go into International Law I think McGeorge will certainly be sufficient and more affordable than my other options in Boston and NYC. And theres also the California sunshine too.


Re: California sunshine - be careful what you wish for. Sacramento is gorgeous in October-Early November and again from March to May. But you're likely going to want to find somewhere else to be during the summer months when that "California sunshine" becomes a beast of burden that fries your skin. Many people don't realize that when you get an hour or so inland from LA/SF/SD, California becomes hotter than Hell, but my childhood is marked with baseball games cancelled due to 115-degree heat.

Moral of the story: If you're going to be at McGeorge or in Sacto for the summer DO NOT RENT A PLACE WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING.

travvo
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby travvo » Wed May 14, 2008 6:02 pm

I see your 115 degree days and raise you unrelenting 0 and below zero temperatures throughout my childhoold in January and February.

Thanks for the advice though. I pretty much assume that it will be hotter than the brutal summer i spent the NM desert. I'll be sure to purchase a solid wardrobe in preparation. Like a speedo and some neon pink zinc oxide, that i will wear 24/7 throughout the summer months. *Vomits imagining what that would look like*

antsinmypants
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby antsinmypants » Wed May 14, 2008 6:14 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:Moral of the story: If you're going to be at McGeorge or in Sacto for the summer DO NOT RENT A PLACE WITHOUT AIR CONDITIONING.

I live in Walnut Creek and am all too familiar with Sacramento summers AND winters.

Travv it's funny you mention UB. I applied there too, but not until I was waitlisted from 2 of my safety net schools in late January. I grew up and lived in Buffalo until I was 21. I did NOT want to return there, but after the 4th tier WL offers I totally panicked. I submitted my app to UB the first week of February but was WLed from there too. I thought I was a shoe-in because I have the numbers AND connections to get in (I know a couple faculty members... parents of an old friend). Anyway I declined their WL offer because I had already been admitted to McG by that point.

JohnDoe35
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:25 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby JohnDoe35 » Wed May 14, 2008 8:03 pm

What's the parking situation like? I know parking is free but is it easy to find a spot?

User avatar
Ipsa Dixit
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:56 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Ipsa Dixit » Wed May 14, 2008 11:24 pm

Parking can get pretty crowded, but you can park on the street if the lots are full.

8)

allycat
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby allycat » Thu May 15, 2008 2:53 pm

I can sympathize with the summer temperatures in Sac. I live over the mountains in Reno and it get suprisingly hot in the summer there.....over 100 degrees. Fortunately, if you are in Sac during the summer months and have some free time, its always worth it to drive to Lake Tahoe for the day....the temperatures are much cooler and of course you always have a lake with cold water to jump into if you're hot.

kimbowmanjr
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 10:42 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby kimbowmanjr » Thu May 15, 2008 10:14 pm

allycat wrote:I can sympathize with the summer temperatures in Sac. I live over the mountains in Reno and it get suprisingly hot in the summer there.....over 100 degrees. Fortunately, if you are in Sac during the summer months and have some free time, its always worth it to drive to Lake Tahoe for the day....the temperatures are much cooler and of course you always have a lake with cold water to jump into if you're hot.


All this hot weather discussion helps explain why there's a rafting activity before orientation. Coming from SLC, Utah I'm just excited that it doesn't snow in Sac more than once every few decades. As to heat, we have serious summers (100+for days and weeks on end) but coming from a desert I'm more worried about the humidity.

Besides, at least you can gamble in Reno :)

antsinmypants
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby antsinmypants » Fri May 16, 2008 11:42 am

kimbowmanjr wrote:As to heat, we have serious summers (100+for days and weeks on end) but coming from a desert I'm more worried about the humidity.

I live about an hour SW of Sac. There are times when it can get humid, but that’s kind of a freak occurrence. I'm more concerned about the wind blowing in the cow poop smell from around Davis. I’ve heard it can sometimes be worse than driving past Harris Ranch on I-5 near Coalinga. That sounds a bit exaggerated to me… is there any truth to that? :?

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Fri May 16, 2008 11:43 am

kimbowmanjr wrote:
allycat wrote:I can sympathize with the summer temperatures in Sac. I live over the mountains in Reno and it get suprisingly hot in the summer there.....over 100 degrees. Fortunately, if you are in Sac during the summer months and have some free time, its always worth it to drive to Lake Tahoe for the day....the temperatures are much cooler and of course you always have a lake with cold water to jump into if you're hot.


All this hot weather discussion helps explain why there's a rafting activity before orientation. Coming from SLC, Utah I'm just excited that it doesn't snow in Sac more than once every few decades. As to heat, we have serious summers (100+for days and weeks on end) but coming from a desert I'm more worried about the humidity.

Besides, at least you can gamble in Reno :)



I lived there for 22 years and it snowed once. Also, don't worry about humidity - despite being at the confluence of 2 major rivers, Sacramento is never humid. Or at least rarely. And you can gamble at Cache Creek and Jackson Rancheria, both of which are substantially closer than Reno 8)

JohnDoe35
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:25 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby JohnDoe35 » Fri May 16, 2008 5:12 pm

antsinmypants wrote:
kimbowmanjr wrote:As to heat, we have serious summers (100+for days and weeks on end) but coming from a desert I'm more worried about the humidity.

I live about an hour SW of Sac. There are times when it can get humid, but that’s kind of a freak occurrence. I'm more concerned about the wind blowing in the cow poop smell from around Davis. I’ve heard it can sometimes be worse than driving past Harris Ranch on I-5 near Coalinga. That sounds a bit exaggerated to me… is there any truth to that? :?


No, don't worry about the cows. I lived in Sacramento all my life (excluding my time in college) and have never experienced the smell of cows of blowing in.

I don't really buy the humidity thing either. Maybe twice a year there will be a humid day.

antsinmypants
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby antsinmypants » Fri May 16, 2008 5:41 pm

JohnDoe35 wrote:No, don't worry about the cows. I lived in Sacramento all my life (excluding my time in college) and have never experienced the smell of cows of blowing in.

I don't really buy the humidity thing either. Maybe twice a year there will be a humid day.

Good news. I grew up downwind from some pretty nasty chemical plants and refineries. Those warm summer nights when the fumes blew in sucked.

So for you Sacto natives, what would you say are the selling points of your city? My fiancé is moving with me and transferring offices, but she doesn't have a very high opinion of the city. Help me with one...

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Fri May 16, 2008 9:22 pm

antsinmypants wrote:
JohnDoe35 wrote:No, don't worry about the cows. I lived in Sacramento all my life (excluding my time in college) and have never experienced the smell of cows of blowing in.

I don't really buy the humidity thing either. Maybe twice a year there will be a humid day.

Good news. I grew up downwind from some pretty nasty chemical plants and refineries. Those warm summer nights when the fumes blew in sucked.

So for you Sacto natives, what would you say are the selling points of your city? My fiancé is moving with me and transferring offices, but she doesn't have a very high opinion of the city. Help me with one...


Take her out to dinner, then drinks, then some Second Saturday art gallery openings in the Midtown neighborhood. If she's not sold then, she probably won't be. Sacramento is an interesting place - unlike SF, LA, NYC, there is no unique "holy shit, I'm in SACRAMENTO!" experience one gets upon entering the city limits, but it really has its own indescribable charm.

I've always described it this way - Sac is like a small, midwestern town that somehow found its way into California and into the 30 biggest cities in the country. Despite having over 1,000,000 people in the metro area, it's really got the look and feel of a small town, which can be nice, but it's also got all the culture and amenities one needs from a city (except for an NFL team I guess, but even LA doesn't have one of those anymore).

If the night out in Midtown doesn't sell her, try taking her to Vic's on 8th and Riverside for ice cream and sandwiches. Split a muddy mocha shake, and I doubt she'll want to leave.

tequilasunriseplz
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby tequilasunriseplz » Sat May 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Looks like I'm going to be joining you guys in August :P I'm really looking forward to it...especially if a few trips to Streets of London are involved.

I grew up near Sac and I have to say the American River Bike Trail is one of the best things the city has to offer. Well, it's great if you like being outdoors. The trail is a heavily shaded pedestrian/bike bath that hugs the American River. Nice scenery, parks, people, etc.

Other than a laptop, does anyone suggest buying anything before classes start? I had better purchase all that I need now before this last summer of freedom gets underway.

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Sun May 18, 2008 4:34 am

tequilasunriseplz wrote: American River Bike Trail


Agreed. I go running with my dog down that trail, and it's fantastic. In fact, thinking of it now makes me miss home... :cry:

tequilasunriseplz
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby tequilasunriseplz » Tue May 20, 2008 12:05 pm

SoftBoiledLife Aw, where are you from? Are you returning to Sac to be a 1L in fall?

Just a heads up to people coming to McGeorge who aren't familiar with the Sac area...bring your allergy pills! Claritin, Allegra, Zyrtec, whatever you need. If you stay in the city long enough (like 3 or 4 years), you will eventually experience seasonal allergies. The city is down in a valley so the pollen, grass, etc gets trapped.

antsinmypants
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby antsinmypants » Tue May 20, 2008 12:17 pm

Someone set up a McGeorge SOL Class of '11 group on Facebook. Those of you that are on Facebook but not in the group should join it. I think knowing each other before classes begin is going to help immensely.

The allergies this year are brutal, and I'm closer to the water than Sac is. It must be really bad out there.

User avatar
Matokah
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:44 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Matokah » Wed May 21, 2008 5:21 am

Hi all! Just wanted to post a quick greeting and congrats to all those who are coming to McGeorge in the fall!

I just finished my first year in the day program (hi, Ipsa and OregonGirl!), and as stressful as it was, I really do like the school a lot. I'd elaborate more, but it's 2a.m. and I need sleep in the deepest sense of the word.

Few things, though. I saw someone ask about parking. Yes, it's free, and I've never had a problem finding spots. If you have a 9a.m. class, you're fine. If you don't, it's really easy to park on the street nearby. It's quite convenient.

Also, a bit of a plug. If anyone's interested in housing in Arden (about 10-15 minutes from campus, east of downtown), I have a 2 bed-2 bath condo I need to rent out one of the bedrooms and bathrooms for. It's nice and spacious and in a quiet, gated condo community. If anyone's interested in more details, I submitted an ad through McGeorge's housing department or else would be happy to answer private messages. I have more first year supplements than I know what to deal with and am happy to share, as well. ;)

And if anyone has any questions whatsoever about the school experience, feel free to ask them here. If I can answer, I will. I've had a fairly positive experience with the school and am happy to share what I know. :)

User avatar
stuffedburrito
Posts: 49
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:48 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby stuffedburrito » Wed May 21, 2008 12:52 pm

Thanks Matokah! I've got a curious question: When you say that 1L can be a bit "stressful," which part(s) of it was the most stressful, and do you have any advice on lightening that stress?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests