University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
kimbowmanjr

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby kimbowmanjr » Mon May 12, 2008 1:37 pm

So who's in the day program, and who's in the evening program? I'm in the day program, but I get the feeling that it won't matter much for social events and/or drinkathons.

I'll be moving to midtown from Salt Lake City around the third week of July. Do those of you who already live in Sac have suggestions on what to do until the rest of the class of 2011 gets into town?

antsinmypants

Postby antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 2:03 pm

kimbowmanjr wrote:So who's in the day program, and who's in the evening program? I'm in the day program, but I get the feeling that it won't matter much for social events and/or drinkathons.

I'll be moving to midtown from Salt Lake City around the third week of July. Do those of you who already live in Sac have suggestions on what to do until the rest of the class of 2011 gets into town?

I'm going day. I have a friend there that's going to be a 3L. He switched from day to night and now back to day. He did say there seems to be somewhat of a divide between programs.

Yeah lets get some suggestions of where to go/what to do out in Sacto!

travvo

Postby travvo » Mon May 12, 2008 2:05 pm

I will be a day student as well... I went out the night after Legal Scholar's Day and found a great British styled pub that a local recommended. I wish I could remember the name/location but i'm sure it wont be too difficult to find.

americangirlinparis

Postby americangirlinparis » Mon May 12, 2008 2:21 pm

Day program for me!

I'll probably move down the end of July or beginning of August depending on where I'll be living. I'm looking forward to lots of moving this summer...Paris back to the US in 3 weeks, driving my college stuff in storage with family in PA to OR, then moving down I-5 to CA.
Nothing like adding as many "high stress" life events to one summer as possible!

I'm actually looking forward to all this :) minus the transatlantic flight that is (sooo boring...)

antsinmypants

Postby antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 2:24 pm

travvo wrote:I will be a day student as well... I went out the night after Legal Scholar's Day and found a great British styled pub that a local recommended. I wish I could remember the name/location but i'm sure it wont be too difficult to find.

I cause trouble at British pubs... the "get a lot of people out, have them stay out way too late, spend too much money, and be in bad shape the next day" kind of trouble.

antsinmypants

Postby antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 2:26 pm

americangirlinparis wrote:I'm actually looking forward to all this :) minus the transatlantic flight that is (sooo boring...)

I flew 2 transatlantic flights in November, and the interactive on demand tv thingy on the plane I had was so cool I didn't even want to fall asleep! It was great!

travvo

Postby travvo » Mon May 12, 2008 3:38 pm

Yeah, I flew to london a few months ago and they had tons of live TV. Just like 8 lazy hours spent in the living room, but at 30,000 ft.

What's everybody's plan for housing? I got myself on the priority list for on-campus housing, but there are some really nice places i wouldn't mind living in mid-town.

americangirlinparis

Postby americangirlinparis » Mon May 12, 2008 3:57 pm

It's true, the long flights really aren't THAT bad. I just seem to have some karmic black spots that get me seated next the most obnoxious and/or infectious people possible. Three sneezing, coughing, biting British children on flights back from the UAE to the US last year take the cake, and I don't know if anyone can beat them...but I'm sure there will be someone out to try on this next flight :roll: Thank God for iPods...

I'm also on the on-campus housing list but if that doesn't work out I'll probably end up in Midtown somewhere or...? I've gotten some good recommendations for areas to live, but I probably won't jump into the search for awhile yet.

travvo

Postby travvo » Mon May 12, 2008 4:14 pm

Cool, same basic plan here. The dorms didn't seem super nice, although It'd be uber convenient to get a pre-furnished room and then roll out of bed and stumble to class every morning. It'd also be cool to live somewhere off-campus that is within biking distance.

What are you up to in Paris? Working? Sight-Seeing?

americangirlinparis

Postby americangirlinparis » Mon May 12, 2008 4:35 pm

travvo wrote: What are you up to in Paris? Working? Sight-Seeing?

"studying" = very little work and much more sight-seeing :D
I've got a French minor so I chose to spend my last UG semester in France.
*love* Paris and will miss it when I leave in 3 weeks

Katdaddy

Postby Katdaddy » Mon May 12, 2008 4:44 pm

travvo wrote:I will be a day student as well... I went out the night after Legal Scholar's Day and found a great British styled pub that a local recommended. I wish I could remember the name/location but i'm sure it wont be too difficult to find.

Bonn Lair. I haven't been there, but I heard great things about the place.

Katdaddy

Postby Katdaddy » Mon May 12, 2008 4:55 pm

antsinmypants wrote:I'm going day. I have a friend there that's going to be a 3L. He switched from day to night and now back to day. He did say there seems to be somewhat of a divide between programs.

Yeah lets get some suggestions of where to go/what to do out in Sacto!

I'm in the evening program, but I hope that the incoming 1Ls can help close the divide between the divisions.

As far as things to do in Sac, there are a fair amount of clubs in the downtown/midtown areas. The surronding areas (Elk Grove, Roseville, everything outside of downtown Sac) have some cool watering holes too. There are also several places where you can get your karoke on at too (i.e. Blue Gekko)

There are a buttload (hmmm, appetizing) of sushi places in town too. There are also a lot of ethnic restuarants in town (Ethiopian, Morrocan, Thai, etc.) Sacramento is blessed to have two rivers run through it (American and Sacramento) as well as Folsom Lake, so there are plenty of oppurtunites for water and hiking activities. Sacramento other claim to fame (besides Arnold) is that it's 90 minutes from Tahoe and San Francisco. In short, you have to try really hard to be bored in Sacramento; there is always something to do.

kimbowmanjr

Postby kimbowmanjr » Mon May 12, 2008 5:02 pm

antsinmypants wrote:

I cause trouble at British pubs... the "get a lot of people out, have them stay out way too late, spend too much money, and be in bad shape the next day" kind of trouble.

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship :)

antsinmypants

Postby antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 5:24 pm

kimbowmanjr wrote:
antsinmypants wrote:

This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship :)

Alright that's it... we're finding a park on the river and having a "kegger social" for the McGeorge 1L's! :D

travvo

Postby travvo » Mon May 12, 2008 5:29 pm

i LOUDLY concur. A little grillin' , a l(ot of)ittle drinkin' with our new cohorts.

antsinmypants

Postby antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 5:40 pm

When is everyone moving to Sacto again?

antsinmypants

Postby antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 7:13 pm

Not everyone at once now!

Does anybody know if there will be any school functions planned during the weekend between orientation and first day of class?

saleen

Postby saleen » Mon May 12, 2008 7:55 pm

First week's bar review is usually pretty crackin, school sponsored raft race is fun, though I didn't go.

The divide between the day and evening students is because you never see each other, but after a whole year I have many friends in the day division.

The name of the bar you are looking for is most likely "streets of london."

GOOD LUCK to incoming students! My best advice would be to realize it's not as serious as it seems those first few weeks once you get settled in.

JohnDoe35

Postby JohnDoe35 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:58 pm

Katdaddy wrote:

I think you're actually talking about The Streets of London Pub. It's a solid place but gets super crowded on the weekends.

I too will be entering the day program.

As far of as the river barbecue/drink-a-thon, I would recommend having it at Folsom Lake instead of the River. The lake has a nice beach area that is much cleaner and safer than various parts of the Sacramento and American Rivers.

kimbowmanjr

Postby kimbowmanjr » Mon May 12, 2008 8:40 pm

JohnDoe35 wrote:
Katdaddy wrote:

I think you're actually talking about The Streets of London Pub. It's a solid place but gets super crowded on the weekends.

I too will be entering the day program.

As far of as the river barbecue/drink-a-thon, I would recommend having it at Folsom Lake instead of the River. The lake has a nice beach area that is much cleaner and safer than various parts of the Sacramento and American Rivers.

Coming from Utah, I'm just excited that there are kegs...

These all sound like good ideas. Once we get more info about orientation we can solidify a TLS McGeorge Class of 2011 pre-semester plan.

JohnDoe35

Postby JohnDoe35 » Mon May 12, 2008 11:10 pm

In addition to the trendy places like The Streets of London, Sacramento has a pretty nice dive bar scene. Nothing can compare to drinking with hardened alcoholics...

americangirlinparis

Postby americangirlinparis » Tue May 13, 2008 1:30 am

I think I'm gonna like you guys :D Count me in for any and all festivities!

kimbowmanjr

Postby kimbowmanjr » Tue May 13, 2008 1:36 am

americangirlinparis wrote:I think I'm gonna like you guys :D Count me in for any and all festivities!

Now all we need are our @pacific.edu email addresses so we can start a facebook group 8)

antsinmypants

Postby antsinmypants » Tue May 13, 2008 11:13 am

JohnDoe35 wrote:In addition to the trendy places like The Streets of London, Sacramento has a pretty nice dive bar scene. Nothing can compare to drinking with hardened alcoholics...

I L*O*V*E dive bars! I'll go out of my WAY to find one! I am getting more and more excited about Sacramento!

Thanks for the input about Folsom Lake, johndoe. That sounds like it'll be a good spot.

I found a facebook group for McGeorge already. There are a few, but most of them are tiny. The one I joined has over 200 people on it. If anyone else joins it pm me and we'll link up on there.

travvo

Postby travvo » Tue May 13, 2008 2:05 pm

nice, i love dive bars... we'll have to find a favorite.... i can't wait to get out of NYC and pay less than 7-10$ for draft beers...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”