University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:23 pm

Does anyone know how much the computer loan is for???

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:44 pm

Billy: Yay for us Midwesterners! I'm leaving on Saturday (I still have a LOT to pack up :shock:), and my plan is to be there by next Wednesday to sign lease paperwork. Definitely meet up with us at Ink if you can make it. :)

Artful_Dodger: I'm not sure what email address you're using now, so I'll just write here that I'm leaving soon for CA and if you need to get in touch with me, you can try email, but the best option would probably be just calling my cell phone. Sound good? Can't wait to meet you! :)

Danny: When I called the financial aid office, Joe Pinkus (sp?) told me the laptop loan could be up to $2500.

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:20 pm

I'm all packed and ready to take all my stuff. This is the first of two trips down and this one should be the worst. My dad and brother are going with me and unfortunately they are the two people who think me going to law school is a waste of time and money. Oh well. I am excited to meet everyone and to start classes!

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:19 pm

OMG I only have 3 days of employment left! I've had two jobs for like 8 years now, this is nuts.

Ca, finished the bar exams today, I've heard some horror stories and some good advice the last week from people that were studying for it. that means the bar will be super busy tonight.

The folks I talked said that from 2L and beyond that its a good idea to load up on classes or take a summer course or two so your last year will be less stressful and you can start the bar review earlier and not freak out. They said studying for bar starts like right after finals and is rigourous. So I know thats a long way off for most of us, but I thought it was a sound sugggestion and you guys would want to know.

To the peeps in town already, if you want to make a trip to davis on Sat. night stop by Sophia's Thai Bar and say hi, mention this site and I'll buy you a shot, it will be my last night to do such things.

welcome Billy, man at this rate TLS could totally take over campus :)

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:10 pm

Welcome to the forum riderz12. I'm sure I speak for the majority of us when I say we look forward to meeting you. The more people on here the better I guess. Looks like we've got a nice little group going anyway.

Matokah... thanks, yeah after that nonsense I just had to change my email. Anyway, I've got 3 days of work left! :? Good bad I dunno? I was wondering if getting a part time job or doing work study might be really that awful. I have no clue? Anyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:21 pm

Artful_Dodger: I've been thinking about going the part-time job route, too. I've been in touch with a skating judge in CA who advised me that the rink in Vacaville would be a good fit for me, coaching-wise (and apparently if I coach, I get a discounted rate on ice which is a plus!). I'm leery to try it my first semester, but maybe over the winter break, I'll get into the groove better and start teaching skating. It's good money doing something I like, so why not?

Anyway, back to packing (one more day and then I'm. . .gone! :shock:). Congrats to those of you who are quitting your jobs!!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Tomorrow is my last day at work. It's been a really insane week there and I have a feeling I might still end up doing some work on the side for them.

Saturday I am heading out of town for a week, but will be back by the 5th for our gathering at Ink at 8:00 pm.

I have revised our list of people who are coming. Here is the current list:

Ipsa Dixit (Andrea)
Matokah (Amber)
OregonGirl07 (Stephanie)
stellenboschmaties (Samm)
adupe (Andrea)
JarrettN (Jarrett)
Artful_Dodger (Jen)
saleen (?Name?)
dannyk1101 (Danny)
Bizzle (Kyle)
sloane peterson's father (?Name?)
theargentine (?Name?)
nosorio2007 (?Name?)
gypsy (Ileana)
exception311 (Lân)
riderz12 (Billy)

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:40 pm

Congrats to all those who are done with work!!

How cool would it be if a lot of us ended up in the same section?

Everyone who is starting their trip soon be sure to take care!

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:56 pm

OregonGirl - If going to law school is the right decision for you, don't worry about other people's opinions, even if they are your family. As long as you're happy, they'll come around.

I quit my job a couple of weeks ago and the time off has been so relaxing. I'm about 1/2 done with the new harry potter! Can't wait til I'm done.

Is anyone else going to Sophia's Thai Bar on Sat night? I may show up if I can figure out how to get there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theargentine

New

Post by theargentine » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:12 pm

Hey everyone! I just wanted to stop by and wish all of your travelers good luck on your way over here. I'm really excited about meeting all of you and just getting started with school in general. I'm Christian btw Ipsa Dixit. Oh, and if any of you need a place to stay for a few days while you get settled into your new places hit me up. I live in a big ol' house in South Sac, about ten minutes from the school, and its just me most of the time. Cheers!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:53 pm

Hey all.

Did anyone just get the email from AnneMarie Meyer that said a pdf of the orientation schedule was attached? I never got an attachment. D'oh!

Anyway, I just spent the last 3 hours loading my moving truck. I am exhausted (and not done yet! We just got the heavy stuff and all the other stuff I had packed. . .now I need to get the last piddly bits put in.)

I have too much crap! I managed to get rid of a bunch of stuff before I packed, but that's just the start of it. One of these days I'll actually have time to *really* sort through my stuff. That will probably be the day I retire. :twisted:

theargentine

New

Post by theargentine » Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:31 pm

I got Meyer's email, didn't have an attachment though. The link does take you to the admitted student's site where you can download the PDF for orientation. Looks like a crapload of reading will already be due. Yay for us I suppose? I guess what they say is true, be careful what you wish for. :-)

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:40 am

Concerning the orientation schedule and booklet: They are both available now on the mcgeorge website in the "Info for Admitted Applicants" section:

--LinkRemoved--

y'all should know the password by now.

The booklet is 83 pages long. yikes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stellenboschmaties

New

Post by stellenboschmaties » Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:37 pm

hey guys!

made it to sac town. sitting in the uop library as we speak desperately hunting for a place to live.

anyway, i'm on my way out the door to go find someplace to live. hopefully, i don't have to stay in a hotel for too long!

hit me up if anyone wants to hang out or do something, lord knows i don't have any friends here except you guys!

samm

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:39 pm

T-minus 8 hours till unemployment.

welcome to the west coast Sam, be careful, I was from the south and fell in love with ca and ended up never leaving.
8)

riderz12

New

Post by riderz12 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Hey guys,

I'm checking in from the road now. I've made it a little past St. Louis on the first day. We wandered around St. Louis for a few hours since I've never been there and tried to go on the Anheuser-Busch Tour but they were all full for the day. So far so good, I'm slowly making my way to Sacramento this week. We plan on taking the old Route 66 trip to LA and then drive up the Californian coast.

theargentine: I might want to take you up on your offer for a place to stay for a few days. I'm trying to make it to Sacramento around Friday but I can't move in to my apartment until the 7th (I'll be on the rafting trip the 6th). Hit me up on a PM and maybe we can work something out. Any money I can avoid spending on hotel rooms would be great.

I have plenty of driving to do but hopefully I'll have time to read over that orientation package we were all just emailed. I hope everyone is enjoying their last week or so of freedom.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:21 am

Hey guys!

This is another greetings from the road type post. I'm in Des Moines currently at my parents' home. We filled up my moving truck for most of the morning in Minneapolis, and then spent the afternoon trucking into Iowa. So far, so good. 4 hours down and 26 more to go. :shock:

If all goes well, we'll be in Cheyenne, WY by tomorrow. See you all in a week! :)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ccl429

New

Post by ccl429 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:36 am

Hi everyone!

I was on the waitlist for months and was recently accepted to the part time evening program. Just registered for this forum tonight, skimmed though what you all posted (you guys sound like a friendly bunch!), and wanted to say hi to everyone. Looking forward to meeting all of you during orientation.

Take care,
Cindy

jfrost01

New

q

Post by jfrost01 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:35 am

i just moved into midtown from san antonio. any of you guys hanging out in midtown yet?

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:56 am

WOOT for evening division!

Also, I got an e-mail about the perkins loan application process..... FINALLY.

adupe

New

Post by adupe » Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:52 pm

Hey guys! Just got into town (living in downtown) If anyone wants to get together I'm definitely up for it since I don't know anyone yet :). I have limited Internet access until Thurs. so best to call me if anyone wants to get together!

I second that evening division WOOT :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:09 pm

I was planning on maybe grabbing a couple drinks downstairs of the Wells Fargo Center at Il Fornaio if anyone is interested - I'll be there at around 6:00

My Cell Phone is (530) 908-2883 for all the lonely people - no one likes to drink alone - so you should probably grab a Hefe with me!

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:25 pm

To all who are in town or arriving soon, gonna go out on either wed or thurs, depending upon when a few others arrive. figured maybe we could hit up some of the more eccentric dive bars, the flame club for example has a regulation size shuffle board table for all the party animals out there. So pm me or give me a call, I've already spoken with a few of you. Also if you end up having any questions about places to eat, stores and crap like that feel free to ask

Unfortunately the next tequila tasting is right after we start school, but I'll let you know when the next one comes around.

One last week to indulge before servitude begins :shock:

cdmays

New

Questions about McGeorge?

Post by cdmays » Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:32 pm

Hi all you future McGeorgers,

My name is Chris. I've been at McGeorge for two years in the evening program. I also serve as Vice Chairman of the McGeorge Orientation Committee.

Just wanted to drop y'all a line - if you have any questions, feel free to email me at c_mays@pacific.edu. I'd give out my phone number but that's a little creepy.

Oh yeah I'll be at Beyond McGeorge too, so if anyone has questions about that let me know.

Anyway drop me an email, otherwise I'll see y'all next week!

Chris

PS - make sure to not be busy Thursday night. It's not on your schedule, but there's gunna be a party.

exception311

New

Post by exception311 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:47 am

Thanks to Matokah, OregonGirl, and Adupe as I followed your advice and I got accepted on Friday!

Now I have to mad rush to find housing, and while I know in the past 16 pages you guys have touched upon housing issues, I was wondering if anyone knew a decent part of town to live in? Anyone have any good housing leads to offer? I'm not that familiar with Sacramento, so I don't know what I'm talking about when I do an online housing search.

Thanks and see y'all on the 5th!

Lân

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”