University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Matokah

Postby Matokah » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:53 pm

saleen: I think it's actually called Hurley Place Condos or something like that. It's on Hurley Way. I've been told it's quiet and fairly uneventful (good for me!). We'll see if I can find a roomie first.

Also, I got my financial aid package from McGeorge. Now I'm wondering how this works. Can I apply for private loans on my own if I want, or do I have to take what they've offered me (Grad Plus)? Just curious.

herzchen

Postby herzchen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:19 am

hi again, Matokah.

i'm pretty sure that you can decline any of the loan offers you get and that yes, you are welcome to explore private loan options on your own. do you have a feeling that the private offers will be better than the grad plus deal? i am so not an expert in this area...

also, i'm pretty sure that orientation starts on mon., aug 6!!

Matokah

Postby Matokah » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:56 am

herzchen: Eep! The apartment I was looking at would be a move-in date of around August 4. . . :shock: Hmm. I was hoping they started a few weeks later. Ah well. Good thing I haven't actually gone apartment-hunting yet. That's in 2 weeks!

Yeah, I don't know about the loans. I'm going to talk to my boyfriend, because he says he really likes his lender for undergrad (called nelnet). Maybe they do graduate loans.

It's a little depressing to see how much I still will have to take out in loans on top of my scholarship, though. And we still don't know officially what next year's tuition will be, right? Yikes!

saleen

Postby saleen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:01 pm

Yea I am pretty sure that you can pick whoever you want for the loans, those are just the ones that mcgeorge recommends. There is actually a bill right now that would force schools to state that these are just their preferred lenders and not required because many schools get kickbacks etc from the different companies. In fact, many of the board members of these lenders are school staff members.

Bah I can't find the bill right now, maybe later.

nosorio2007

Postby nosorio2007 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:05 pm

Regarding loans, there are a few types available. Federal loans are generally better than private loans cause they have lower a lower, fixed interest rate. Private loans are generally higher, and often variable interest rates. Private loans also have a few requirement you have to meet, so make sure to read those carefully. Alot are credit based, so a cosigner may be required to get a better rate. Some have a limit of your tuition. In other words, if you want to get a little extra for expenses throughout the year, it may not work with certain lenders. Just read each lenders requirements carefully, and you'll be fine. I hope this helped. If anyone has any question, i'll be happy to try to answer them.

Matokah

Postby Matokah » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks for the info, saleen and nosario.

Do you guys know if you can get the federal loans through McGeorge and then go elsewhere for the private loans if you want? I think I read somewhere that you have to apply for the federal loans through the private lender, which didn't make any sense to me.

&ugh, is anyone counting down the days until they can quit their jobs (those not going part-time, of course!) and start school? I seriously can't wait to get moved out there. My job is dragging!

nosorio2007

Postby nosorio2007 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:35 pm

federal loans must be received through lenders. So, even though the money is federal, certain companies distribute them. Different lenders have different fees and what not. Yes, you can get federal loans and private loans at the same time. federal loans through private lenders are still federal loans. Their interest rate and terms are set by the government. However processing fee, and any other fees may differ from lender to lender. This is what i've gathered from my federal and private loans dealings in undergrad

Certain private loan lenders will only lend you the total cost of attendance minus other aid. total cost could mean tuition, or tuition plus room and board, or the whole deal. Thats just something to keep in mind. Others don't have such a system, just a max limit of what you can borrow each year.

Hope this helps.

sedafel

Places to live

Postby sedafel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:54 pm

What about the areas that McGeorge suggests, ie Curtis Park and Land Park? Are those places run-down as well? I would like to live as close to school as possible, but obviously I don't want to live in a dumpy area.

saleen

Postby saleen » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:45 pm

both of those are nice areas of downtown, of course I would strongly recommend looking at any place before you sign up.

sedafel

Postby sedafel » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:39 pm

are they relatively close to McGeorge as well? or is it a better idea to go to a different area?

Matokah

Postby Matokah » Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:22 pm

Someone I speak to on another message board said they got a flyer for some sort of rafting trip before classes begin at McGeorge. Has anyone else received this? I'm sort of curious to hear more about the details. I'm out in MN, so it'll probably take me longer to get mine than other people who live closer by.

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:58 am

i got the pamphlet your talking about, but i didn't really put it into long term memory, the last thing i need to do when considering taking on massive debt is funnel money into things like white water rafting, granted it wasn't that expensive (~200) but it seems kinda silly to me, i guess i'm just tight.

Matokah

Postby Matokah » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:19 pm

jackdaw: Not at all. The only reason I'm even considering attending the trip is to meet other future classmates and some professors. I'll know no one when I move out there this summer, so it'll be good to meet some people before the scary first days of classes.

I assume I'll get my invite either today or tomorrow. It's killer having to wait so long when other people who live closer get their info that much sooner. Ah well. I'm sure I'll survive ;)

jackdaw

Postby jackdaw » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:22 pm

i mean it's a good deal, if you've never been white water rafting before it's not cheap, and i believe food comes with that. i just tend to be debby downer about things like this. i wouldn't worry too much about not knowing anybody, i'm sure you'll figure it out pretty quick. I have to say this for mcgeorge, they really put on a good hustle, and i dont mean it in a bad way, but of the schools i've been accepted to they seem the most interested in getting people to go to their school.

herzchen

Postby herzchen » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:49 pm

howdy again, matokah et al!

my mom received my WHITE WATER RAFTING notice at her (my perm) TX address yesterday... she gave me this link: --LinkRemoved--
(scroll down for the bit about the one-day trip version.)

the letter listed an email address of a coordinator at mcgeorge as well.

although the price was listed - and it seems like we DO get a discount as part of the mcg group - some of the details in which i'd be interested were missing...

for example, for those of us counting on on-campus housing, where the hell do we shove our crap on the morning of the 6th before we take off on the trip? (when is on-campus housing move-in day, anyway??)

buuut yeah, it said to sign up ASAP but gave a date in mid-june as the deadline, so i'm probably going to sign up later. and you can get a full refund up til 7/1 or so.

i heard from a current 1L last month that she was placed in a raft w/a bunch of students from her section and she had a lot of fun on the trip, highly recommended participating, etc.
another current student - a 2L - told me she regretted not having gone and has a friend who's gone 2 years in a row...

hope this helps! :)

Matokah

Postby Matokah » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:20 pm

Thanks for the info! I got my letter yesterday, and despite the cost, I think I'm going to go. I've heard good things about it from past participants, and I want to start building some good law school memories before classes start breaking my spirit. ;)

1.5 more weeks until I'm out house-searching! I just wish I could find some better things on the internet search engines. I'm not having much luck out there with my search. I think I'll have to call housing and set up a meeting on my first day out there.

doodah

Postby doodah » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:10 pm

Matokah, congrats on McGeorge...I'm still waiting for something....not trying to change your mind on apartment location just give you some extra information ....The Howe and Hurley areas are not really the best ...great restaurant's and shopping nearby but the police helicopters are in the air every night...I lived on Hurley during UG and couldn't wait to move...The apartments on Fulton or Howe proper between Northrup and Fairoaks Blve. / Woodside areas are nicer...You might want to look in the Florin West / Pocket area or Elk Grove...even parts of Natomas are better....go to rent.com and see what is in the McGeorge area...also traffic in the morning on I80 and 50 can be a b****. Good luck and have fun with your search.....Maybe we will meet in the Fall... :D

Matokah

Postby Matokah » Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:21 pm

doodah: Thanks for the info! I actually live on a really busy street currently (my deck faces the street, and I hear police sirens at least twice a night). My main goal is to be around that Arden area, because I plan on skating in Roseville in the mornings before classes. I heard Elk Grove is south of the school (is that correct? I'm not up on my Sacramento geography), so I doubt it'd be a good option for me. I'll definitely check out those other locations you mentioned, though.

So you're still waiting for a decision from McGeorge, then? When did you apply and go complete? I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I want to "meet" more of my McGeorge future classmates here. :)

herzchen

Postby herzchen » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:50 am

Well, happy hunting Matokah - though it's still at least a few more days til you head out there, I reckon...

Have you tried looking on Craig's List? Just a thought; or are you determined to live alone?

saleen

Postby saleen » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:07 pm

I would agree that Hurley might not be the best choice. I know that I certainly would not consider living there at least.

I would second the idea to check craigslist, that is where most of my friends have found housing.

As far as the raft trip goes it does look fun, but I doubt I will be able to get the time off work as I believe it is on a friday. Perhaps we can meet up for some drinks or something before we all get started though = D.

I know for me at least, with work and school, I won't have much of a life once school starts.

herzchen

Postby herzchen » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:06 pm

this may not help you at all, saleen, but i believe that the rafting trip is on a MONDAY.

nosorio2007

Postby nosorio2007 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:31 pm

did anyone choose McGeorge over Santa Clara. I just got accepted to Santa Clara. I heard back from McGeorge in February, and picked McGeorge after i visited both schools in March. I'm happy i'm going to McGeorge. The environment is much more welcoming and what i'm looking for that the feel at Santa Clara. I'm just curious if anyone else make this choice, and what were your reasons were. Hope to see you all in the fall.

herzchen

santa clara & mcgeorge

Postby herzchen » Wed May 02, 2007 1:50 am

hey nosorio,

i was accepted by both schools well in advance of my trip to visit in early march.
both offered me merit-based scholarships as well and while mcgeorge's amount was a LITTLE higher, its requirements for renewability are tougher, i believe (top 1/3 of class--and i honestly forget what santa clara's deal was).

what made me choose mcgeorge over scu?

well, in lg.-ish a nutshell, they went after & impressed me much more effectively but moreover, it seems like my employment prospects could be similar coming out of either school (depending on whether i'm close to the top or middle of my class). while scu felt nice & friendly, their big strength is IP and that's not something i care much about! whereas mcgeorge's strengths have to do with international law and ties to the state gov't; these areas are among my own personal interests.

also, i don't particularly care to live in san jose; sure, it's closer to SF/berkeley/oakland than sac is, but in neither case would i actually be living in the parts of the bay area i esp. like and i can easily get to the east bay or whatever for a weekend from sac. i am from a city near sac and know it will be liveable for me.

i guess the jesuit tradition sort of scared me a little too, but i had no reason to factor that into my decision; and i did speak to a couple current students at santa clara that were happy there and career services there seemed helpful, so it really came down to my own preferences.

if santa clara had been the only school to accept & throw a lil money at me, i probably would've been satisfied going there. (that said, i definitely preferred to be accepted by >1 school!)

so what are your own thoughts now as to where you'll go? :)

doodah

Postby doodah » Sun May 06, 2007 10:25 am

Still no word from UOP....any thoughts out there that would be helpful?....It is truly my #1!!!! Late application....Do I have a chance still?...I am seeing people being waitlisted and I am still pending....Getting alittle frustrated and concerned...Help!

Matokah

Postby Matokah » Mon May 07, 2007 4:06 pm

doodah: If McGeorge truly is your number 1 choice, I'd go ahead and write them a letter of continued interest telling them why and ask them to add it to your file. Tell them you'll definitely attend if admitted if that's how you feel. At this point in the game, it certainly can't hurt! I mean, people are out looking for housing already, and you haven't heard back? I know your application was sent in late, but if you're anything like me, you want to get things solidified far in advance.

Then you could always call every other week for an update and to let them know you're still interested :)

Well, folks, I visited the apartment on Hurley and really liked it and the area. I know some people said it's not the best area, but it felt a lot safer than where I currently live, and the complex was secluded and quiet. Now I just need to find a roommate to share the expenses, and I'm set. Very excited! I know school's only 3 months away, but I'm so antsy for this next month to fly by so I can be done with work and focus more on loans (well, I suppose I'll have to apply before mid-June, so I guess that'll be done this month) and packing. When is everyone else planning on moving into their apartments? Looks like I'll be there right at the very beginning of August.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”