University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:38 pm

and congrats on the THE loan approval, ipsa! :)

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:05 pm

Okay, so I *think* I got my THE loan requests properly submitted. Whoo!

Now. . .here's my question: the Loan Request Form gets filled out and sent to Pacific's Financial Aid Department. I understand that. What about the Direct Deposit Authorization Form? Do I send that in a separate envelope going to the Accounting Dept/Business Office?

Also, on that form, does anyone know what Banner ID is? Is that just our student ID number, or am I missing something obvious?

After that, I *think* I'm done with all my loan requesting angst. Yay! :)

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:45 pm

Geez, I didn't realize there was a direct deposit form. I have no idea what the Banner ID number is :?:

What I would really like to know is what tuition is going to be. Last year the UoP regents met in May, but I don't think they have met yet this year. I wish they would determine the tuition already!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:56 pm

Hmm. Guess this'll warrant a call to the financial aid office tomorrow. :P

Geez, no kidding on the tuition front! I assume they'll adjust our loan allowances accordingly if tuition goes up a substantial amount? I guess I just figured who cares? What's a few thousand dollars when I'm spending tens of thousands for this education of mine? I need to be careful since that's a dangerous way to look at things! Those thousands add up so quickly. I'm looking at doing a summer abroad program and man will that cost a lot of money. I know it'll be a great experience but it's still nuts how much things cost.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:35 pm

Just in case anyone's wondering, question 2 (banner id) on the direct deposit authorization form for McGeorge is your student ID that you can get off your financial aid award.

Now we know. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:36 pm

about the thousands of dollars adding up: whoa-man, you're not kidding!
i need to keep pinching myself cuz not only does every few thousand dollars make a diff, but budgeting every hundred - and on down - can be important (e.g. do i want to allow myself a 5xweek fancy latte habit during school if it means getting quality reading done in a 'third place'/cafe that stays open late? or save it and make my own cocoa tea or whatever like the savvy returned peace corps volunteer i will always on some level be?!). i tend not to do my best studying in the library, but that may need to change. it wasn't necessary to make it work in college, and there were so many other students sleeping and stuff in there... i preferred to nap outside near our main quad. =-]

anyway, life mustn't be miserable on a budget -- and at least there won't be tons of extra time for traveling and expensive entertainment pursuits; but yeah, a few indulgences and a generally austere mindset would probably be a good combo (for me, anyway).

and i do think i'm more cut out for FT law study than PT at this point in my life; and at least i don't have other mouths to feed so am independent - and allowed to be selfish(!) w/my time & energy expenditure - in some respects.

also, about the summer abroad program prospect: what i'm not understanding is what participants in those 1-month programs (say, in the summer after 1L) do with the rest of their split summer!
does it seem like one can find (probably unpaid) legal internship/assistance work with flexible scheduling?
i do think the experience could be worth the $money$ but i also wonder if i will wanna shoot for an entire semester abroad, in which case i may not want to use part of the first summer for such an excursion.... HMMMMMMMMMM.

what location(s) do you have your eye on, matokah? too soon to tell? the girl whose on-campus apt. at mcgeorge i viewed - and she happened to be a fellow ucla alum - is going to do the russia program this summer.

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:25 pm

Hey everyone. I am new to these boards. Just thought I'd throw myself in - I recently completed my first year at McGeorge in May and am currently working as a professor's RA and taking a summer class. Also recently got my first year grades, exciting stuff! lol

Anyway, if you guys have any questions let me know!

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:30 pm

I noticed some questions above.

In terms of the Banner ID, I believe that would be your student ID. As I recall, we weren't given that until August during in person registration. They take a cute picture of you and give you and ID card, lol. I really wouldn't worry about the loan request form, I didn't turn it in until mid August last year because I completely forgot about it. Same goes for the direct deposit form.

And to let you guys know, the loan refunds, the portion for living expenses will NOT disburse until September. Yeah I know, it sucks, but its some federal loan policy. So you will have been in school for a few weeks before you get the refund - this only occurs your first year, I believe. I think they are worried you will take the money and run lol. If this policy seriously affects your financial status, I believe you can talk to the staff.

dannyk1101

New

refund checks

Post by dannyk1101 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:42 pm

When in september are these refund checks disbursed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:45 pm

hey aldicarb, thanks for jumping right in.

was it difficult for you to land the summer RA gig? umm, and were you pleased with your grades from either/both semester?! do you feel as if you barely survived the 1L experience and/or you've never worked harder your life?

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:35 am

hey again ;p. Generally getting any position for your 1L summer is a feat. There are very few professors to go around and the one's that will actually take on an RA number even less. What I ended up doing was contacting my Torts professor in December about it. Did and interview and such - I ended up doing really well in his class (I believe I was the top 1 or 2 grades in his class) and so he took me on, lol ;]. But yeah, so its good grades + personality match.

At McGeorge grades are issued, as in show up on your transcript only for the end of the year. Meaning you will get your midterms back after Fall but those grades never show up on a transcript - they are averaged with your Spring grades and those are the grades that show up. Like if you get a 81 on Fall Contracts and a 75 on Spring Contracts - you average and you get a final grade and this is all that shows up ;D. Oh and most classes, at least first year, that are a year long - are not 50:50. Usually all year long [at least first year] classes go something like 35%/40% Fall - 65%/60% Spring. So a lot rides on the spring grade.

In terms of my grades, yes I am actually extremely happy. I was okay the first semester, I got an A or two and some Bs. My final grades turned out great though - I got a 3.78 GPA with some A+'s in there. So I am extremely happy that all my hard work had a reward! ;P

1L was tremendously difficult. Its impossible to really describe the experience in words. I think back to how people described it to me, and its never exactly how you expect. The worst part is not really knowing what to do or how to do it. Even though McGeorge faculty/staff are generally great and very helpful at guiding students - law school generally has this atmosphere of Darwinian selection, lol. All the resources are there, but you have to go find them. I can honestly say yes, I have never worked harder - coming from a background of Biochemistry in undergrad. But at the end of the year, you are relieved and finally integrated into law through the "hazing" experience lol. Things just eventually click, well for most people.

A few pieces of advice. The biggest waste of time in law school is case briefing. Professors will expound the idea, extra info/help sessions will explain it and try to get you to perfect it. Big big waste of time you could spend elsewhere. The only purpose to briefing a case is to be prepared to be called on in class, thats it. It also may initially help you learn how to analyze a set of facts, but after a couple months, its drained of its use in that regard. After about 3/4ths of Fall semester, I stopped briefing all together, and just read the case/highlighted and maybe wrote notes along it in the case book - just so if I got called on. [another harrowing experience, lol].

Anyway - hope that helped some! When it gets closer to the year starting - let me know what section of the day division you will be in - I can find out who your profs will be - and I can advise you on them ;D. Any other questions - shoot!

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:02 pm

aldicarb, i'm sure your advice, wisdom and reflection on your own 1L experience will be read w/interest by several persons on here.

but fyi -- because i don't expect that you read thru all of the previous posts on this thread and don't care to be a poser: i decided to go to davis after i'd paid seat deposits at mcgeorge and was getting set to go there (and was already active on this forum...).

do you happen to have any friends at king hall? in any case, i wonder if your case briefing advice might be applicable with reference to law schools besides mcgeorge; i'd imagine so. i'll have to wait and see what's up but appreciate you sharing your opinion and obviously, you succeeded using the study methods you chose.
i know that 1L courses are broken up differently at davis, so that should be interesting (i.e. most last only the one semester instead of spread out over the year like in your 'issued' grades system, i guess).

did you happen to have sprankling for property? i talked to him a bit at a legal scholars day luncheon in march and then a 1L i met who showed some of us her on-campus apt. said he was known to be good but quite difficult, and i was just curious whether that was a fair assessment.

btw, the darwinian selection aspect of law school is a bit daunting. especially when the attrition rates creep up; have you made friends or known of classmates from the past year who dropped out?

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:01 pm

Yep, I know a few people at king hall. I actually still live in Davis and graduated from UC Davis undergrad. I just decided that King Hall wasn't my cup of tea.

In terms of case briefing etc. it pretty much applies to any law school. I suppose it depends on your learning, but even people who LOVED to brief for some weird reason, realized at the end of the year that their time was better spent elsewhere after taking the final. i.e. practice tests practice tests practice tests [this is the mantra]

I haven't had Sprankling for Property, but he rubbed me the wrong way in an intro meeting for new students lol. He seems very smart, but a little too aggressive for me ;D.

One guy that I started to become friends with couldn't hack it and dropped. A bunch of others dropped that I didn't know well - but were in my section. Not a lot, but a handful, to be noticeable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:17 am

I noticed a question that I missed above - sorry! I checked my bank records and the financial aid refund came in on September 1st. Meaning it was likely processed a few days before but it took a couple days to be deposited. Hope that helps!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:38 am

herzchen: The study abroad program I'm most interested in is Whittier's Israel program since I'd like to one day move over there for a bit. I'm also tempted by Pacific's Russia and China programs (already been to Austria, so I don't see the point of going back when there's a whole wide world left out there for me to explore!).

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:57 pm

Hey all! It looks like I am headed to McGeorge now! I'm very excited about it. Although being from Oregon, I think I am going to get confused by all the sun! :D

saleen

New

Shade!

Post by saleen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:38 pm

Have no fear there is lots of shade! Of course, it is like 95 degrees in the shade instead of 105 in the sun but it feels cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:55 pm

Yeah, we hit around 90 last summer in Eugene and I was not a real happy camper. Oh well, I'll get used to it and at least this way I get to be tan year round. I have a stupid question here but does anyone know where we can update our addresses? I didn't see anything to do it on the info for admitted students.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:59 pm

Yay, Oregongirl! Congrats on getting off the waitlist. :)

I assume you can just call the admissions office and let them know once your address has changed. That's what I plan to do. When are you planning to move?

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:06 pm

I plan on being there around the beginning of August, I am currently trying to find housing. I doubt that on campus will happen but that would be easiest for me. I am bringing my car down so it's an 8 hour drive down 1-5 to Sac-town for me. That will be an adventure in itself.

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:03 pm

Ahh yes the 8 hour drive. That is how long it takes to get from Sacramento to San Diego as well which is where I went to undergrad (sactown native).

At least you don't have to drive through LA!

As long as you have a car you should be fine living wherever you want in Sacramento, traffic isn't too bad. I am actually planning a move myself so that I can be within walking distance of work to cut down on commute time. I want to spend as little time as possible driving since I am already going to be spending all my time on school and work.

Welcome to McGeorge!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:09 pm

I've driven through LA before. We made the drive from the Oregon coast down to San Diego a few years back for the Holiday Bowl. The really interesting part for me will be pumping gas. We don't do that here in Oregon and we don't have sales tax either. LOL. Lots of fun little adjustments.

I really want to be close to campus if I have to live off campus because of how much time I will be spending at school and such.

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:44 pm

I'm also interested in McG's China summer program, Matokah, but 3 or even 4 weeks seems so *short* for a summer program!

I'm still going to look at what other schools have to offer in the way of summer & semester abroad programs. I've been to Salzburg/Austria too. Haven't been to Dublin or Copenhagen or other places in Europe so I'm not necessarily saying that I won't go to Europe, but I've never been to Asia at all and would quite like to, someday -- sooner than later, if possible.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:23 pm

herzchen: I think the China program is only 2 weeks (something like 15 July to 3 August or such). I'd love to visit Asia, but part of me wants to practice a language I know, so I think the Israel program through Whittier (assuming they remain accredited by the ABA!) will be the best fit for me. I wanted to go all throughout undergrad, but my school was making it difficult for me (refusing to transfer credits back, etc.).

Oregongirl: Good luck finding housing! I'm renting a condo in Arden, and I've put out an ad at McGeorge to find a roommate, but it seems as if you want to live closer to campus than that. If you contact Nancy Whalen in housing, she's really helpful.

Speaking of long drives, I'll be coming from Minneapolis, 1900 miles away. It's almost a 30 hour drive for me. Yack!

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:36 am

ALDICARB - thx for answering my question about the financial aid refund! glad to hear its early sept as opposed to late.. also, CONGRATS on finishing your first year and doing so well. i'm sure that feels pretty good =)

MATOKAH - so you've been to austria but with a US supreme court justice?? i don't know, maybe i'm just a big nerd but that just sounds so exciting to me to work so closely with someone of that caliber. btw, did you find a roommie yet? i'm going to sac in early july to secure an apt. can't wait to actually explore the downtown area this time..

OREGONGIRL - congrats on mcgeorge! i am comin from seattle so i definitely know how you're feeling about the weather. btw, i am also driving down to sac from seattle probably for an aug 1 move-in. perhaps we can schedule a rendezvous in eugene and caravan it down? curb each other's speeding and what not ;)

i'm so excited to start law school you guys - despite aldicarb's account of first year lol. i've been outta school for 4 years now and am totally ready to hit the books again. perhaps having a science background like aldicarb will ensure a similar performance first year?? hehe.

anyways, so who all is goin on the rafting trip. i still have not decided...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”