University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
catalogguy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby catalogguy » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:59 pm

Good luck!

biobuslaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby biobuslaw » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:13 pm

Anyone else notice Pacific's status checker has not been working for last several weeks?

User avatar
NayBoer
Posts: 1013
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby NayBoer » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:55 pm

biobuslaw wrote:Anyone else notice Pacific's status checker has not been working for last several weeks?
Yeah, I did. Really messes with appstatus.globl.org and makes it fail, so I have to skip it. I just check at the McG website to see if it's back.

Looks like from LSN they don't send out decisions until first or second week of Dec. Really hope it's up and working by a few days post Thanksgiving.

articulably suspect
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:01 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby articulably suspect » Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:10 pm

I couldn't believe McGeorge had a thread this long, but then I looked back to when it began, a couple of years ago. The T2/3s and their threads are slowly getting lost in the abyss of T14 posters on TLS.

biobuslaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby biobuslaw » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:39 am

Got my McGeorge Complete email and the status checker is now working for me :)

User avatar
nickc8
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby nickc8 » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:40 am

biobuslaw wrote:Got my McGeorge Complete email and the status checker is now working for me :)


+1

catalogguy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby catalogguy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:59 am

Good luck!

biobuslaw wrote:Got my McGeorge Complete email and the status checker is now working for me :)

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:19 pm

For the new applicants, I don't go to Pacific, but I grew up in Sacramento and live nearby now, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the town.

Dman
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:28 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Dman » Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:57 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:For the new applicants, I don't go to Pacific, but I grew up in Sacramento and live nearby now, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the town.


I am the inverse of Softboiledlife. I go to McGeorge, but i don't know much about Sac. I am pretty in tune with the inner workings of the school. I am also a non-traditional (read older) student, so if you want any info on that, I am happy to chat about it as well.

catalogguy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby catalogguy » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Dman, my situation is similar to yours. Good luck on exams!


Dman wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:For the new applicants, I don't go to Pacific, but I grew up in Sacramento and live nearby now, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the town.


I am the inverse of Softboiledlife. I go to McGeorge, but i don't know much about Sac. I am pretty in tune with the inner workings of the school. I am also a non-traditional (read older) student, so if you want any info on that, I am happy to chat about it as well.

User avatar
hans3n
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:05 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby hans3n » Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:35 pm

Got my acceptance in the mail Monday, December 21st. I was approved for what they call "Honors at Entrance", which entitles you to free books for the first year. They also offered me the Dean's Scholarship Award of $15,000 for the first year. The scholarship is renewable for the second and third year if I stay in the top 1/3 of the class. Adam Barrett, the Assistant Dean for Enrollment Management, also wrote a small personal note to me in pen on my acceptance letter, which was cool. If anyone has questions feel free to hit me up.
Last edited by hans3n on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

catalogguy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby catalogguy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:41 pm

Congrats

Where else are you applying? Are you planning to go to McGeorge now that you're in?



hans3n wrote:Got my acceptance in the mail Monday, December 21st. I was approved for what they call "Honors at Entrance", which entitles you to free books for the first year. They also offered me the Dean's Scholarship Award of $15,000 for the first year. The scholarship is renewable for the second and third year if I stay in the top 1/3 of the class. Adam Barrett, the Assistant Dean for Enrollment Management, also wrote a small personal note to me in pen on my acceptance letter, which was cool. If anyone wants to know where they stack up LSAT/GPA - Scholarship wise, I'm 158, 3.3(3.37). If anyone has questions feel free to hit me up.

User avatar
hans3n
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:05 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby hans3n » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:24 am

catalogguy wrote:Congrats

Where else are you applying? Are you planning to go to McGeorge now that you're in?



I applied to Oregon, L & C, American, LMU, Chapman, USF, William & Mary, and Washington & Lee. Not sure yet if I will go to McGeorge. It is the only acceptance I have received so far, so I will probably wait to get a few more, if not all of them, before deciding. How do you like it there so far? Whats the good and bad of the school, classes, area, etc...?

catalogguy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby catalogguy » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:30 pm

So far I am happy with McGeorge. The workload is unexpectedly immense, but I don't think you get a break anywhere. McGeorge does emphasize legal research and writing with more classes than other schools. The reason is you can present yourself upon graduation as bringing skills that make you more immediately useful to an employer than grads who require additional time on the job to come up to the same level of productivity. The school seems to be conducting itself as would a top tier school with required classes for each area on the bar exam. The campus is a plus with all 13 acres dedicated to law. No shortage in any facilities from computers, library space, materials, technology, etc. Library recently began an expansion project as well. As with anything, you can only get out what you put in; I have found the professors to be well connected and overall impressive. I don't have anything negative in my experience. We just got through the first exams. There is definite intentional information overload, but again I don't think any decent school will cut you a break on the work required. Good luck!




hans3n wrote:
catalogguy wrote:Congrats

Where else are you applying? Are you planning to go to McGeorge now that you're in?



I applied to Oregon, L & C, American, LMU, Chapman, USF, William & Mary, and Washington & Lee. Not sure yet if I will go to McGeorge. It is the only acceptance I have received so far, so I will probably wait to get a few more, if not all of them, before deciding. How do you like it there so far? Whats the good and bad of the school, classes, area, etc...?

User avatar
nickc8
Posts: 110
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 11:32 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby nickc8 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:35 pm

catalogguy, how do you feel about your career opps upon graduation? I'm from Sacto, so McG is on my list (especially with the scholly offer), but I'm just not sure how it stacks up in the market. I'm guessing the only true competition is from Davis?

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby savagedm » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:45 pm

I just got an acceptance to McGeorge today with a Dean's Scholar $15k renewable offer as well as free books during my first year. Seriously considering it, but compared to LA how are the job prospects and how is the social life around Sac?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby sibley » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:47 am

Also just got acceptance, 30k/yr (top 1/3), auto honors, priority housing, free 1st year books, free travel to visit. Probably going to withdraw so there will be more money for you guys, but I want to wait to see if I'm right about my other options first.

eans820
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby eans820 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 pm

hans3n wrote:Got my acceptance in the mail Monday, December 21st. I was approved for what they call "Honors at Entrance", which entitles you to free books for the first year. They also offered me the Dean's Scholarship Award of $15,000 for the first year. The scholarship is renewable for the second and third year if I stay in the top 1/3 of the class. Adam Barrett, the Assistant Dean for Enrollment Management, also wrote a small personal note to me in pen on my acceptance letter, which was cool. If anyone wants to know where they stack up LSAT/GPA - Scholarship wise, I'm 158, 3.3(3.37). If anyone has questions feel free to hit me up.



I have similar numbers...When did you send in your apps?

User avatar
jmaan
Posts: 313
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby jmaan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:17 pm

SoftBoiledLife wrote:For the new applicants, I don't go to Pacific, but I grew up in Sacramento and live nearby now, so feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the town.


+1 Im actually still in sac and visit friends at mcgeorge quite often.
Sacramento is a cool place with plenty to do. The area surrounding mcgeorge is terrible and scary to walk around at night.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby yo! » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:26 pm

Does anyone know the approximate date of the legal scholars day?

User avatar
hans3n
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:05 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby hans3n » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:36 pm

I have similar numbers...When did you send in your apps?


I got a "you are complete" email on 11/23/09

User avatar
20160810
Posts: 19648
Joined: Fri May 02, 2008 1:18 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby 20160810 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:51 pm

savagedm wrote:I just got an acceptance to McGeorge today with a Dean's Scholar $15k renewable offer as well as free books during my first year. Seriously considering it, but compared to LA how are the job prospects and how is the social life around Sac?


Compared to LA, Sacramento is an awful lot smaller (although it is still a rather large city and isn't missing much of what you'd expect from a city, except for an NFL team--which LA doesn't have either), but I think it's an awful lot more livable than Los Angeles on the whole. The area immediately surrounding the McGeorge campus is a little dicey, but fortunately there are plenty of places to live nearby that are safe and reasonably affordable (especially if you're used to the COL in LA).

User avatar
Great Satchmo
Posts: 754
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:34 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:10 am

I went complete on the 4th, was accepted on the 7th, received it in the mail on the 9th (dates may be a day or two off, and I live in San Francisco). I got a scholarship and the first year textbooks and whatnot.

I have a friend that is a 3L at McGeorge and he took me there the other day to walk around (everything was pretty much closed).

Depending on what happens with other schools, it may be in the mix.

Nat1018
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:41 am

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby Nat1018 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:39 am

I went complete on the 13th, DR on the 14th...and hopefully waiting for an acceptance in the mail.

biobuslaw
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Postby biobuslaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:03 am

DR 1/19.... will be checking the mail as soon as I get home from work




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: urbanist11 and 3 guests