University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
nosorio2007

New

Hey everyone

Post by nosorio2007 » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:15 pm

I just recently paid my deposit and have made it official that i'm going to McGeorge in the fall. Anyone else going this fall?

bumpjon

New

Post by bumpjon » Sun Mar 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Just accepted. Really nice information package. Seriously considering.

nosorio2007

New

Visit if you can

Post by nosorio2007 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:58 am

if you have a chance to visit, assuming you haven't yet, i would definitely go. If you're looking for a nice friendly law school that has a beautiful campus and no undergrads...mcgeorge is it. I liked it before i visited, but i could really see myself there when i visited.

bumpjon

New

Post by bumpjon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:52 am

I'm going to their Legal Scholars Day on 4/20. I'm really looking forward to it.

nosorio2007

New

Post by nosorio2007 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:50 pm

hope you enjoy it. I wasn't in town when they had one. but i still loved my visit.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bumpjon

New

Post by bumpjon » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:59 pm

They a reimbursing for travel expenses. I'd call and ask if they will reimburse you as well.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:15 pm

I'm a week late on this, but I might very well be joining you, too. I've asked for reconsideration of my scholarship offer based on my career interests and offers from other schools. I *should* know by early this week whether or not it's been approved. If so, I'll be moving cross country to join you. I really love McGeorge: the people, students, and location. I hope I'll be able to make this a possibility.

Fingers crossed!

KatyMaria

New

Post by KatyMaria » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:34 pm

I didnt go to the scholars day, even though I rsvped (I am SOoooooo bad!) but I did pay my deposit today.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:26 pm

KatyMaria: Are you headed to McGeorge for sure, then? If so, I'll see you this August, because I just paid my deposit today, too! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jill521

New

Post by jill521 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:09 am

I put my deposit down for McGeorge last week :D I'm moving from NY...I need some more days of sun and a lot less snow!!!

Anyone know of areas to search for an apartment??

nosorio2007

New

Post by nosorio2007 » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:27 am

hey Jill521, I'm actually a native of Cali out here in NY for undergrad. I'm going home to CA, although i'm from So Cal, its a lot closer than NY. The plane rides suck.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:15 am

Hey guys!

I'll be out in Sacramento probably in early May to search for housing. I'd ideally like to live close to the one ice rink in Sacramento (and close to I 80 to get to the Roseville rink). The Sac rink is on Del Paso Blvd and I'm looking mostly in Arden and (possibly) Midtown.

I'm from Minnesota, by the way, and the only time I've ever been to Sacramento was for the Legal Scholar Day (and the day after when I drove around Sacramento and Roseville).

My boyfriend can't come out immediately with me, so I almost feel like I should get a roommate, but I'm a little bit wary of rooming with someone I don't know, so I might end up biting the bullet and living on my own (well, with the cat).

Question for you guys: has anyone received a financial aid award notice yet? I'm still waiting on mine, but I'd like to see what types of loan options there are to cover the difference between the scholarship and my cost of attendance.

We should have a TLS meet-up sometime this summer before school starts so we can get to know some future classmates. I'm not going to know a living soul in Sacramento when I move. Kind of nervous!

rusty

New

Post by rusty » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:14 am

I'd suggest midtown or the Fair Oaks area, depending on your budget. Anything close to Sac State would work well. Stay away from anything too close to the law school, that area is awful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:14 am

Thanks for the info, rusty! Is Fair Oaks near Arden at all?

I just booked my May 3-6 flight to Sacramento to visit the school with my mother (I figure now that I've made a decision, she can come and see the school ;)) and to go search for housing.

One question to you all: Has anyone received a financial aid award package from McGeorge yet? I know my scholarship just got changed which probably slowed them down, but I think I'm going to need that if I try to get a landlord to lease me something as proof that I'll be able to afford it. Just wondering if anyone else has gotten anything yet.

Really looking forward to the visit, especially considering it's been snowing all week here in Minnesota! :shock:

etm1121

New

Post by etm1121 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Hey Matokah, I thought that I would let you know that the Del Paso rink is a dump. It is located in one of the rougher areas of town. I am from Sacramento and I currently play hockey at the Roseville rink. Even if you live downtown, it won't take you more then a half hour to get to the rink. It is the only place in the area that I would actually skate at.

herzchen

New

from another McGeorge student-to-be, re: oak park; housing

Post by herzchen » Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:33 am

Hi,

I grew up in Davis and visited McGeorge on March 9, a Legal Scholars Day.

I have become more and more impressed by McGeorge as I've learned more about the school and gotten to visit, talk to admins, faculty & current/former students, etc. I've put down my first deposit already.
[To be fair, one friend of a friend who's PT there and looking to transfer seems really freaked out about finding a job once she gets her JD, but it doesn't seem like that was warranted and I'm not even sure what her desired job IS!]

A couple things:

1) I don't think the neighborhood around the campus seemed NEARLY as bad/scary as some people made it out to be.
Sure, I would avoid going jogging alone at night around McClatchy Park, but McGeorge is only a handful of miles from the capital. I am someone who went to UCLA for undergrad but has been to USC / downtown LA and trust me, that area is much skeezier by night. I've also lived in East Berlin and a developing island-nation in the eastern Caribbean so I'm coming from a different background than the avg. 1L, I suppose, and don't mean to make Oak Park sound comparable to Beverly Hills, but yeah, I plan to get around by bus & bike and am not v.worried!

Also, campus security seems effective though cars DO get broken into sometimes; it's not like the campus is a barb-wire-gated community, which I appreciate.
And think of it this way: the 'shadiness' of the area also means that there are outreach opportunities. :-D Yeah, I'm a dork.

2) Because I won't be in the Sac area til right before orientation starts and also because the 1L year requires so much serious studying AND due to my lack of car, I plan on living ON CAMPUS for the first year. I am on the list and should know where I stand once I make my 2nd deposit.
I saw a furnished 1-bedroom when I was there visiting last month and it seemed really nice, and worth the $ for the amenities, built-in but optional social network, proximity to classes/library/etc., ETC. I'd like either a studio or 1-bdrm.

Just thought I'd mention that too in case anyone's interested in on-campus housing! (--LinkRemoved--)

Best wishes and hopefully we'll meet this August!
~Anna

nosorio2007

New

Post by nosorio2007 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:29 pm

I have to agree with Anna aka herzchen. When i visited the school, during the day the area around the school doesn't look that bad. I grew up in San Fernando Valley, in one of the poorer parts. It reminded me of my hometown. Now, like Anna said, i wouldn't go out at night along in the streets, but it doesn't look nearly as scary as people make it out to be. A park is always sketchy at night, and attracts bad people in the night. Plus, the security does a great job, from what i heard from current students. I'm hoping to live on campus to, for the closeness to everything. But off campus housing isn't hard to come by. From what i've heard, descent areas are only a 10 min drive away. I'm excited to join you all in the fall. See you then.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:17 pm

etm: Thanks for the info on the Sacramento rink. I did have the opportunity to see the rink when I visited last month. It is a bit of a dump, but for some quick, cheap freestyle sessions, it'll do. I can't imagine practicing a program or field moves on that small of a surface, though!

If it's not already obvious, I'll be joining everyone at Pacific this Fall. I'm really excited about it and agree that the area isn't really that bad. Of course, someone was shot outside my apartment complex last year, and I live close enough to North Minneapolis to know to be careful, so I think I'll be fine.

Where is everyone moving from, and when is everyone planning to move?

Also, has anyone gotten a financial aid package from McGeorge yet (outside of the scholarship offer?). I'm getting a little antsy about that one.

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:53 pm

yay, matokah! &woohoo.

i got my financial aid package from mcgeorge several weeks ago. maybe you want to consider calling or emailing them if you're anxious about it. when did you get your acceptance letter from them though?

i got my acceptance before christmas- seriously- so i was pretty early in terms of the entire admissions cycle...
for the sake of contrast, i have NOT gotten post-fafsa financial aid award letters from most of the other schools that have admitted me, except arizona.

i'm not seeing anything on mcgeorge's site right away about the date by which admitted applicants can expect to have received their $$award letters--maybe because their admissions cycle is *so* long & rolling??
yet their deposit deadlines are clearly stated. hmm. ::scratches head::

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:13 pm

herzchen: Thanks for the info! I was admitted in January, received my scholarship in February, and got my revised scholarship offer about 3 weeks ago. I did try to email financial aid, but I didn't get a response. I'll likely call on Monday. Most of the other schools I got into already sent mine, so that's why I'm a smidge worried (need to have something to worry about now that I've chosen a school, right? ;)).

Are you in the Sacramento area, or do you plan to move this summer? I'm out in Minnesota and hope to move mid-July. We'll see!

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:06 pm

i grew up in davis but haven't lived in the area since i graduated from h.s. in '99... i've been to visit and still have friends/relatives in the area, though.

i am currently finishing up my 2 years in the peace corps; i will probably return to my home of record (=austin, tx--where my mom lives and where i lived for a while between college [UCLA] & germany and germany & peace corps in the eastern caribbean!) *right before* the 4th of july...
i will then spaz/freak out, go to a friend's wedding in PA, freak out some more back in tejas, and then move my butt to sac at the end of july or beginning of august (whenever they let me move into on-campus housing, i suppose!) via friendly southwest airlines.
gah.

so essentially, it seems like you're better positioned to launch your law school career @mcgeorge than am i! but i WILL make it work! ;)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

herzchen

New

Post by herzchen » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:11 pm

matokah: p.s. imho, your as of today MIA financial aid notice situation definitely warrants an april 16 call to the mcgeorge $$$aid office.

good luck clearing that up ASAP, and then finding something else to worry about! heh. (but try not to invite SO much distress that you cannot sleep at night!)

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:57 pm

Hey all, I will also be joining the McGeorge crew but I will be doing the night program. I have a job working near the capitol that I like a lot so I am going to try and stay on. Anyways, except for 4 years in San Diego for undergrad I have lived in sacramento my enitire life.

If anyone needs help with what areas are good to live in or any information about the town at all feel free to contact me through a PM or email me at

adamcate@gmail.com

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:10 pm

Hey saleen! Congrats on your decision. I'm not sure how much day and night students mix, but maybe we can start a TLS McGeorge student get-together before orientation or something. :)

As of now, I'm looking around the Arden area and have been in touch with a former McGeorge student about possibly renting his condo (it's just east of Howe and I've been told it's in an urban-but-liveable area).

herzchen: I finally got an email back from the financial aid office yesterday that said they prepared my award on 12 April and I should be getting it soon. Yay!

I know they sent us an email about a month ago, but does anyone know when orientation starts? I don't want to dig through 300 emails to find the right one at the moment. :P

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:18 pm

hahaha, well just east of Howe I am guessing you are talking about the Woodside condos...... which is where I live currently. Not the most exciting atmosphere but calm and quiet which is usually nice. Most of my neighbors are retired and all but one of them are extremely nice. Just sucks because the security guard has literally told us we were making too much noise when we were just watching sportscenter. Didn't even have any guests over.

Anyways, the area is nice and close to a lot of good things, though you can't really walk to anything. It all depends on your actual neighbors so check it out before you sign the lease.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”