University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stevededalus

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by stevededalus » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:29 am

As a local, one thing I'd emphasize about the location is that McGeorge is only two blocks away from one of the best older, affluent neighborhoods in Sacramento -- Curtis Park. Lawyers and other professionals, including the mayor, own homes and live in Curtis Park. That neighborhood has an awesome park with a mile-long running track and tennis courts, and if you found a rental for the right price there, it would seem perfect to walk or bike to class in five minutes. It can be expensive, but if you found a roommate, you could probably share a house for $1300/month.

Oak Park had a bad reputation years ago, but there has been some redevelopment there in recent years (including the Starbucks, which is part of a larger development). And by today's standards of gang violence and urban decay, Oak Park is fairly tame compared to other neighborhoods south of there. Because of its proximity to downtown, some young professional couples bought homes in Oak Park earlier this decade when prices were insane everywhere else.

pistachio

New

Post by pistachio » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Thanks for the information!! That makes me feel a lot better and I am definitely going to check out the Curtis Park area.

I can see it now...I will probably be one of those people hovering around for a parking spot. hahaha

CWF V

New

Post by CWF V » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:51 pm

stevededalus wrote:Oak Park had a bad reputation years ago, but there has been some redevelopment there in recent years (including the Starbucks, which is part of a larger development).
I disagree: Oak Park is pretty gnarly. You get into the core and there is plenty of gang violence and drug dealing.

As far as places to live, Curtis Park is awesome. But really, downtown and midtown are 5-10 minutes from the school. There are tons of niec places to live within a 1-5 mile radius of the campus.

P.S. I've got nothing but love for the area and there are certainly good pockets of Oak Park with good folks living there. But there there are also some pockets that are best avoided.

santdani

New

Post by santdani » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:11 pm

Last edited by santdani on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sarcasmsslave

New

Post by sarcasmsslave » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:33 pm

I got accepted with $18K/year contingent on staying in the top third. Also, free books for the first year and an invitation to visit the school with "transportation costs" paid. Anyone know if this might include hotel? I'm in St. Louis but would love a chance to check out the school. (Stats: 3.53, 158/163)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beckamarie88

New

Post by beckamarie88 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:53 pm

Hi everyone! I was accepted to McGeorge about a month ago. TLS has been an amazing resource over the past year. I thought it was finally time to become a member!

I had a question about the on-campus housing. I found the virtual tour of a studio apartment with the wall bed, but I was curious what the studio with a loft looked like. Can anybody describe what the loft looks like?

I know it is kind of early to be thinking about housing. I'm just curious! Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!!

Cal4future

New

Post by Cal4future » Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:56 pm

great question
bump

byu85

New

Post by byu85 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:24 pm

In at McGeorge as of 1/21. $10,000 scholarship + books, 156/3.9, is this the most money I can expect to receive from them? Also, if I get in to Santa Clara which school should i attend? Pacific or Santa Clara? I plan on coming out to check them both out in the next month or so, but would like to hear what you all think beforehand. Thanks.

CWF V

New

Post by CWF V » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:48 pm

santdani wrote:JUST got in today!!
Congrats!

I know of some folks who were offered $25K / yr. According to LSN, this seems to be about their ceiling.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

santdani

New

Post by santdani » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Last edited by santdani on Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Hey you guys, I was complete towards the end of Nov. with a 160, 3.2 ish GPA and have not received word from them. Do you think I'm screwed?

kimber1028

Bronze

Post by kimber1028 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:44 pm

A'nold wrote:Hey you guys, I was complete towards the end of Nov. with a 160, 3.2 ish GPA and have not received word from them. Do you think I'm screwed?
From what I've seen, some applications for McGeorge take quite awhile to process (a little longer than two months), while there are a few that are decided upon right away. I'm not sure why, but that's what I've noticed looking at LSN and the like. I'm thinking it may have to do with the committee you're assigned to and how they review their files--maybe there are different methods for different adcoms. I wouldn't worry too much... your application is probably just working its way through the grapevine. Good luck!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:35 pm

byu85 wrote:In at McGeorge as of 1/21. $10,000 scholarship + books, 156/3.9, is this the most money I can expect to receive from them? Also, if I get in to Santa Clara which school should i attend? Pacific or Santa Clara? I plan on coming out to check them both out in the next month or so, but would like to hear what you all think beforehand. Thanks.
As to your first question, request additional scholarship money and see what happens. If you'd don't ask for more, I doubt you can expect any more.

As to your second question, that's totally your call. Do you want to live in the Sacramento area or do you want to live in the Bay Area?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

allenfa

New

Post by allenfa » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:53 pm

In with 15k and books

belladona

New

Post by belladona » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:22 pm

got a nice e-mail saying dont worry we are slow.

Expect to hear from us in the future we just cant tell you when that is :)

trinacria1383

New

Post by trinacria1383 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:18 am

Born and raised close to McGeorge and very familiar with their reputation in the area. If anyone has any questions re: McGeorge, job prospects, living in Sacramento feel free to message me.

john titor

Bronze

Post by john titor » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:41 pm

MCGEORGE DOMINATES

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trinacria1383

New

Post by trinacria1383 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:13 pm

Got my admission packet today. $10K first years books and selected as A "Pacific McGeorge Legal Scholar" though not sure what that means. Also get a free trip to visit the campus. I wonder if they'll reimburse me for the gas I use driving 2 miles to the visit? LOL

findlayswimmer28

New

Post by findlayswimmer28 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:41 pm

Got my acceptance today..."honors at entrance," $12K with books and transportation to visit the school (3.54/158). I also got a really nice hand written note from the dean. Not sure if the scholarship is enough to make me move back to CA in this economy. If it were just me, I would probably go in a heartbeat, but my soon to be husband will have to sell his house and find a new job...not an easy task.

fluffy

New

Post by fluffy » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:50 am

First, CONGRATS to all accepted. I just got in with 15k and books (awesome!). BUT last weekend I had a chance to see the campus. I was visiting a friend from the area and he took me around Sac and the tiny campus. He told me the surrounding area is notoriously rough, and it seemed to be, though the campus itself was pretty. But seriously, it is a tiny campus. There seemed to be some on-campus housing that looked pretty, but basically faced the classroom building(s?). Again, it was a weekend so I took no formal tour and saw only one student. The building was dead but I snuck in to use the bathroom and check out the moot courtroom, both of which seemed to "get the job done" but were nothing to write home about.

My sense is that McGeorge is great if you know you want to practice in Sacramento, which I do not wish to do. I'll have to do more research.

trinacria1383

New

Post by trinacria1383 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:56 pm

fluffy wrote:First, CONGRATS to all accepted. I just got in with 15k and books (awesome!). BUT last weekend I had a chance to see the campus. I was visiting a friend from the area and he took me around Sac and the tiny campus. He told me the surrounding area is notoriously rough, and it seemed to be, though the campus itself was pretty. But seriously, it is a tiny campus. There seemed to be some on-campus housing that looked pretty, but basically faced the classroom building(s?). Again, it was a weekend so I took no formal tour and saw only one student. The building was dead but I snuck in to use the bathroom and check out the moot courtroom, both of which seemed to "get the job done" but were nothing to write home about.

My sense is that McGeorge is great if you know you want to practice in Sacramento, which I do not wish to do. I'll have to do more research.
Your eyes weren't kidding you that was a housing building right in the middle of campus. Oak Park is far from the best neighborhood but the area which McGeorge is located in isn't bad. I haven't toured too many law schools but I think 13 acres for a stand alone law school is a pretty good size. I did the same thing you did, walked around by myself on a weekend. I'd recommend taking a tour.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

econtutornv

New

Post by econtutornv » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:09 am

john titor wrote:MCGEORGE DOMINATES
TITCR (JDU fan I take it?)

islandmouse

New

Post by islandmouse » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:04 pm

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Legal Scholar's Day and paying for transportation costs? What exactly constitutes as transportation costs? I.e. would hotel stay be included?

trinacria1383

New

Post by trinacria1383 » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:11 pm

islandmouse wrote:Does anyone know what the deal is with the Legal Scholar's Day and paying for transportation costs? What exactly constitutes as transportation costs? I.e. would hotel stay be included?

Not sure about lodging. Last year a friend of mine got his airfare covered. I'd call the school.

stuffedburrito

New

Post by stuffedburrito » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:57 pm

fluffy wrote:First, CONGRATS to all accepted. I just got in with 15k and books (awesome!). BUT last weekend I had a chance to see the campus. I was visiting a friend from the area and he took me around Sac and the tiny campus. He told me the surrounding area is notoriously rough, and it seemed to be, though the campus itself was pretty. But seriously, it is a tiny campus. There seemed to be some on-campus housing that looked pretty, but basically faced the classroom building(s?). Again, it was a weekend so I took no formal tour and saw only one student. The building was dead but I snuck in to use the bathroom and check out the moot courtroom, both of which seemed to "get the job done" but were nothing to write home about.

FYI, McGeorge's 13-acre campus is one of the biggest law school campuses in the nation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”