University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cdmays

New

it's not even 6am why the hell am I up...

Post by cdmays » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:01 am

yo yo yo everyone!

It's at Brew It Up because Brew It Up always donates kegs to McG for big events. So, my personal preference has always been to throw them business as much as possible to say thanks!

Here's my list for Beyond McGeorge:

Decks of Cards (notice what I list first)
Probably a bottle of firewater (although they'll have beer at the campsite if you want)
For the raft: Swim Suit, Sandals (Tiva-style, with all the velcro so they don't fall off), t shirt
After the raft: change of clothes kept in a backpack
Toiletries for overnight
some people bring flashlights...in my experience flashlights are probably a good thing

WHAT NOT TO BRING
your orientation materials (please don't be "that guy")
your phone
valuable crap (it's going to be sitting in some bus all day)

Also show up no later than 6:30 Monday morning at McGeorge. They'll have coffee and pastries out there.

To all of you going, I'll be the guy in the orange shirt who looks like he just crawled out of bed (cuz that's exactly what I'll be doing at 6 in the ephing morning hahaha)

And one last thing, I'm up in North Natomas, so if anyone needs a ride
(I saw someone had moved into Natty) feel free to call 530-902-4444.

Chris

herzchen

New

beyond mcgeorge rafting

Post by herzchen » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:07 pm

awww, it sounds like it'll be such a fun trip. have a great time, y'all!
:)

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:43 pm

I am officially all moved in! I'm pretty dang excited, I am trying to scope out the best places to grocery shop and such right now.

I am pretty attached to my phone so that might be a challenge for me to leave it at home. Same with my jewelry I wear every single day.

Anyways, I am looking forward to meeting everyone tomorrow night!

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:38 pm

OregonGirl: If it helps, I'm bringing my cell phone in my overnight bag. I'd have no way of getting myself picked up from the trip on Tuesday when we get back if I don't. :)

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:51 pm

LOL. Not having a phone would be especially bad for you, although come to think about it, I am pretty much in the same situation. Are you bringing a small bag for in the raft like it said we could in the packet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:36 am

ask the rafting guide on your boat to show you nuke rock, its pretty cool. I mean its only a tree on a rock that looks like the mushroom cloud from an a-bomb but its so random it was funny when I went.

either that or the guide made it up as we went down the river:0

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:12 pm

Chris I have a question for you. The person who was going to take me down to school and pick me up said they really don't feel comfortable. So, how safe is it to leave my car parked at/by the school overnight? I have an alarm system in it but I still feel really antsy about leaving it.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sun Aug 05, 2007 3:56 pm

If anyone going to Ink tonight needs a ride/wants to carpool and is in the vicinity of Highway 50, give me a call (415 519-65 78 ) (don't e-mail me since I probably won't be at the computer again today).

I will be headed down to Sacramento from the foothills (so I will be heading in from east of the city). I am not planning to stay out too late though since I have to get up early tomorrow morning.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:51 pm

OregonGirl: I was thinking of bringing my cell phone in my overnight bag that's left on the bus so it doesn't get wet on the raft. Hopefully it'll be fine there. I don't have much of another choice.

Everyone going to Ink: I'm going to have to bow out unfortunately. I woke up feeling ill this morning. I feel much better now, but I doubt I'd be up for eating much of anything. Hopefully if tonight works out well we can schedule another meet up sometime? If not, see all of you at orientation this week!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:58 am

Everyone at Ink: Hey ditto on what Matokah said. Sorry I couldn't make it. I was out running errands with my sister and it go on 930-ish. oh well... I hope to see you all at orientation. Maybe we can all get together another time before classes hit us hard.

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:44 pm

for all those who haven't got books yet, be ready to lug around about a hundred pounds.

or 50 pounds without embellishing ;)

theargentine

New

Post by theargentine » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:55 pm

how much did books run more or less? Anybody else in section B?

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:00 pm

Yeah I'm in sec b

I was told the books were about a grand, they thankfully paid for mine so I don't know how legit the estimate was.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:11 pm

Ok Ok enough about B... Is anyone in SEction A? I have yet to meet a person in SEction A.

I had a few books missing so mine were probably a little over a grand once I get those 3 missing guys. grrr... i see my finances slowly depleting... it's not a pretty thought. that financial aid counseling really did help though. I know that next year I better have a huge amount of funds stashed somewhere for emergencies and books. It's ridiculous!

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:05 pm

Artful_Dodger, I am in section A!

Hopefully, the remaining books will be available by Friday. Which ones are you missing?

There was *one* Torts 2nd Edition (Weaver) text left when I went there and it was used. My books are paid for as part of my scholarship so I was going to get new, but the lady at the bookstore told me to take it and then just exchange it for a new one when they come in so I could use the used book to do my reading.

I seriously doubt I am going to crack this sucker open before Friday (not like there isn't enough other stuff to read!), but if the new books come in, I will go exchange it and then the used one will be available for purchase. It is in really good shape (*very* little writing and highlighting, like just a few pages) and I would keep it, but I do not need the discount so would rather someone who could use the discount got it!

It is $79.20, which I think is about $25 less than a new book. So if anyone wants the used one, let me know, and we can go to the bookstore together and you can snap the used book up as soon as the store gets it back.
Last edited by Ipsa Dixit on Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stellenboschmaties

New

Post by stellenboschmaties » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:30 pm

does anyone else hear the funeral dirge for our collective social lives being played over and over in your head when you look at the homework assignments for THE FIRST DAY OF CLASSES!?!?!?!?

anyway, i'm glad that if i'm gonna be stuck in the library for the next year it will be with you fine folks!

it was great meeting those of you at ink the other night. hopefully, we can do it again sometime in the coming year!

see you all at the oath of professionalism thingy tomorrow!

hope you guys are having a great afternoon.

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:38 pm

are we supposed to wear a tie to the oath thing????

oh and for anyone in the market for computer printers office max has samsung laser printers on sale right now for 75 bucks. Thats the cheapest I've seen a laser printer. The cartridges are expensive but they last for ~5000 pages vs the 400 or so you get out inkjets

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nosorio2007

New

Post by nosorio2007 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:33 am

i'm pretty sure thats the printer i got. I think its originally $130ish? Just tested it, but it was quick and pretty good quality.

gypsy

New

Post by gypsy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:04 am

is anyone on IM anywhere? I use yahoo & msn. has anyone done the 2nd case brief yet about the skydiver? on yahoo I'm ileana_butu and msn i'm ibutu.

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:09 pm

I'm in Section A also. Who do all the Section A people have for contracts?

Ipsa, I have read through the second case and I am getting ready to brief it in a few minutes actually. My msn is true_blue_22@hotmail.com

aldicarb

New

hey again all

Post by aldicarb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:06 am

Hope everyone is doing well with their orientation week! I am enjoying my little extra bit of time off until classes start on Monday, bleh lol. Sorry have been away awhile!

So a bunch of you guys are in section A I see? Cool, you guys have Prof. Pingree for Torts (I work for him as an RA, had him last year - he is the best prof out there, I swear). I will be holding a review session or two for you guys in section A for torts along with other RAs, so look out for me (my real name is David btw lol).

Gah I probably will have to head up to McGeorge tomorrow (Thurs) to pick up my boat load of books. Also it appears that Pingree is going to be using the same book as last year for Torts so if anyone in section A wants my ol book - let me know. Ill let someone have it for say $15, when its probably close to 70ish used in the bookstore. Just some highlighting and a tad of writing in it.

If anyone wants to get together and chat before first classes, let me know in a reply post. Ugh I realized I have so much to do with OCI and law review solicitation next week on top of class - why oh why do they dump it all on us at the same time!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:54 pm

forgot to say - my AIM is Thrax77, anyone can contact me that way as well. I'm quite bored tonight - if anyone is up for a drink or food or something, let me know. Don't worry too much about those orientation exercises ;]

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:06 pm

Just a quick note to say I'm in Section B for those of you who didn't already know.

Does anyone know how to set up our Pacific email account to Outlook? I tried the link provided by the school and it didn't work. Blah.

Also still can't get my wireless connection working. If anyone is wireless savvy and doesn't mind helping me out, I'll buy you lunch or something. Artful_Dodger and I are totally stuck with a crappy one-line connection through the cable internet box at the moment! :P

aldicarb

New

Post by aldicarb » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:46 pm

As for the wireless - are you trying to access it on campus (i.e. from housing or otherwise)? Then you need to go the IT area of the library and give a guy there your MAC address and you will get a special password, otherwise you can't use the wireless school network.

Not sure how to do the outlook/email thing matokah ;/

anyone want to take me up on the drink/food offer? Im getting depressed look at my 1500 page Con Law book, lol.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Aug 09, 2007 10:00 pm

aldicarb: Nope, I'm in Arden. The cable internet works and it says it's connected to the wireless router, but alas, once I unplug the ethernet cord, I get no wireless.

I'd take you up on the food and drink offer, but I've got loads of work to do. Maybe this weekend, though? Maybe a group of us could get together and discuss how orientation went?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”