University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
travvo

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by travvo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:34 pm

Thanks matokah, very good information to have. Gotta budget a bit further i suppose.

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:34 pm

Hello TLS McGeorgers :) So, in response to someone's question several pages back (that's how far behind I was) - I'm in Blackacre as well, moving in the 11th. This week is devoted to packing before making the trek down I5 from Oregon...can't wait to get out of this tiny mountain town! Let's just say that having WIFI access only at the local McDonald's has been a fun time, lol.
I'm looking forward to finally meeting you all at Orientation...still not sure if I'll be down in time for any of the pre-Orientation festivities, but I hope you all have fun if I'm not.
Enjoy what little bit is left of summer!

stuffedburrito

New

Post by stuffedburrito » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:35 am

Which utility company are you using (for those who have already done so)? I suppose everyone in Sactown uses SMUD for electricity? What about high-speed internet - who offers the best rates?

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:43 am

stuffedburrito: I use SMUD for electricity (not sure if there's another comparable company out there) and Comcast for wireless. Actually, I hate Comcast. We've had power outages and, while I get that it sometimes happens, their customer service is completely confusing and almost impossible to deal with. And I've tried paying my bill online and can't get that to work since I had Comcast back in Minnesota before I moved out here, and for some reason that's a problem. I've also tried paying my bill on the phone and they don't give out confirmation numbers which seems a little dodgy to me.

If it helps, though, my SMUD bill runs anywhere from $30-70, depending on how much electricity I use. Comcast's wireless costs a few bucks under $50 a month.

Sorry if I sound pessimistic. It's almost 2a.m. here and I'm just tired from work. :P

Oh, and hey, some of you guys might have the professor I was working for for one of your classes this semester. If so, you'll have to tell me how you like the course materials/textbook, since that's what I've been slaving away on all summer. ;)

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:33 am

The assignments are so much fun.
I can't wait to fly to Sacramento on the 11th!!! I've been counting down days to leave Pennsylvania

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:41 pm

Can anyone refer me to a good and reasonable appliance repairman in Sacto? Our landlord sold us a leaky dishwasher. I can be such a chump sometimes. :oops:

exception311

New

Post by exception311 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:59 pm

To answer those of you wondering how you can buy your books without first getting your financial aid, you can go to the business office and request a book voucher. Basically it's a note of credit. Give that note to the bookstore and get whatever you need.

Your school account will be charged and your financial aid will be debited before whatever remaining funds get disbursed to you to pay rent and eat.

I've seen some 1Ls on campus already buying their books. Any of you on this forum?

stuffedburrito

New

Post by stuffedburrito » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:14 am

exception311 wrote:To answer those of you wondering how you can buy your books without first getting your financial aid, you can go to the business office and request a book voucher. Basically it's a note of credit. Give that note to the bookstore and get whatever you need.

Your school account will be charged and your financial aid will be debited before whatever remaining funds get disbursed to you to pay rent and eat.

I've seen some 1Ls on campus already buying their books. Any of you on this forum?
Thanks for the tip! You are a life saver. I was going to charge it on my credit card. I will be going to the bookstore tomorrow.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:13 am

Also, if you don't have a book scholarship, try buying the books on amazon.com or even directly from the publisher. They tend to be 20-30 dollars cheaper that way. I'm saving about $120 on the 8 books I'm buying by doing it that way.

Just make sure you've got the right edition and it's not an abridged book or something. My Business Associations textbook comes in both a standard and abridged version and amazon only had the one I didn't need. Glad I noticed that early on. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lmcelhat

New

Post by lmcelhat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:23 pm

do you recommend buying them online even though we have a little over a week to buy them? what if they don't come in on time? ---can i use library books in the mean time or what? i really really want to save the money and buy them online but im scared shitless of getting screwed over by 1)getting them super late 2)getting a piece of shit one 2)getting the wrong one.
ahhhh. i need to act quick toooo...whaaaat should i dooooooo?

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 pm

I'm somewhat in the same situation. Basically, check the estimated arrival times. I picked up 4 books on amazon but one wasn't in stock so the whole order said it wouldn't ship until 25 August. :shock: The difference in price between that book on amazon and that book at the bookstore was $4, so I deleted it from my order and now my books say they'll get here by 13 August. Fingers crossed. I'm going to call the publishers today to see how much time they estimate it'll take to get those books out to me that I want to buy from their site as well.

I think you can at least read and print off the cases from a copy in the library, but that wouldn't be fun. If you're worried about doing it in time, maybe you could check the bookstore's return policy and then buy books both places and just not mark the bookstore copies? This would require you to purchase the books twice, though, and I'm not sure if they have a good return policy.

Hopefully that made some form of sense. I'm so tired right now. :P

lmcelhat

New

Post by lmcelhat » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:54 pm

oh nice. WHICH BOOKS? i don't know which ones are deals and which ones arent because im technically on vacation in oregon and cant compare prices at the bookstore (so. instead. im losing sleep over whether i should still buy em online).

ill definetly check the arrival date. that's smart. and call. that's smart too.

i found some cheaper ones on half.com too. and by cheaper than amazon...i mean like...2 dollars less. maybe. haha. im dirt cheap though. i could buy like...2 notebooks for 2 dollars....

do you think the books are on reserve? possibly? if they are i bet they'll be picked off in like 2 seconds though...bastards...

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:04 am

Well, my books are all 2L ones (Business Associations, Con Law, Crim Pro, Evidence, AppAd, etc), so I can't help you there. But try the bookstore by just calling them and asking. They might be able to help you, but the problem is just that if you don't know what section you're in yet as a first year, it's going to be difficult to buy your books elsewhere.

I just ordered 3 more books at Thomson-West's site and saved like $70. . .estimated date of arrival is 18 August (the day before my classes start), so fingers crossed they get here on time. I'm only buying one book from the bookstore (since it's out of stock at amazon and there's only a $4 difference anyway. :P).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

exception311

New

Post by exception311 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:30 am

Also regarding books - there's a Legal bookstore in midtown on J st between 7th and 8th. They won't have everything you need, but they will have the major text books and many supplements. It's certainly cheaper than what they charge at McGeorge - textbooks are at least $10 cheaper each. Hope that helps.

PS. Around this time last year, we incoming 1Ls who had befriended each other on this forum met up for drinks before classes began. It was a fun time. You lot might want to do the same. :-)

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:54 am

Hah, you're behind the ball, exception! We've been going out for a week! Facebook is where it's at :P

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:29 pm

skylar wrote:Hah, you're behind the ball, exception! We've been going out for a week! Facebook is where it's at :P
Oh, so true :wink: .

I still want to go to Napa before we get into the thick of the semester.

SFtoSac!

New

Post by SFtoSac! » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:31 pm

skylar wrote:Hah, you're behind the ball, exception! We've been going out for a week! Facebook is where it's at :P

Man! I'm totally missing out. I'm stuck in San Francisco until tomorrow night b/c of work. I will be there on Wednesday. Anyone registering that day?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SFtoSac!

New

Post by SFtoSac! » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:45 pm

Is anyone in the evening division? I'm really confused. The bookstore said I'm part of the E-4 section but the Torts class only has E-1 and E-2 listed. Help! =(

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:23 am

So, my one observation so far is that Sacramento is H-O-T...thank goodness for air conditioning! I'm sad I missed all the pre-Orientation hooplah, but it's good to finally be here and settled in. I hope all you rafters had a good trip!

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:45 am

SFtoSac! wrote:Is anyone in the evening division? I'm really confused. The bookstore said I'm part of the E-4 section but the Torts class only has E-1 and E-2 listed. Help! =(
E4 = E2 for torts. Just let the people at the bookstore help you, that's what I did.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:53 am

SFtoSac!: Are you trying to buy books? If so, just ask any bookstore worker and they'll know. My guess is that maybe your Torts section is split into smaller groups out of the same main section? Not sure, though.

And did someone say Napa? I've never been. Take me with you. :P

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

exception311

New

Post by exception311 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:54 am

For the evening division they divide you up into 6 sections based on your legal process professor. When you start in the fall all 6 sections take Torts and Contracts together with the same professors, so it doesn't matter. You only differ in your legal process professors.

This doesn't become significant until the Spring semester when you get divided into two sections for Torts. Depending on what legal process section you're in, you'll have to switch to a new Torts professor (hope for it, you'll have the time of your life) or stay with the professor you started off with.

Day students usually have one subject where they are divided into two sections.

So to answer your question, the E1 and the E2 torts book should be the same, unless McGeorge decided to do something completely different this year.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:05 pm

exception311 wrote: So to answer your question, the E1 and the E2 torts book should be the same, unless McGeorge decided to do something completely different this year.
The torts casebook is the same, but the supplement is different (so are the reading assignments) for E1 and E2.

--LinkRemoved--

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:21 pm

Matokah wrote:
And did someone say Napa? I've never been. Take me with you. :P
Join the Pacific McGeorge Class of 2011 Facebook club and keep on checking for updates on the trip. I'm hoping we can get a trip together before October.

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:01 pm

Count me in for Napa too :D I loved going out there when I was little but it's been ages.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”