University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:22 am

Yep i'm definitely in for the 5th too you guys. Can't wait to meet everyone and get wasted!!

Sejal319

New

Post by Sejal319 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:58 am

Loves it.

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:09 am

Actually I think ink might work pretty well for us, and it will be withing crawling distance for some of us. Its not really that fun of a hang out, most people just go ther cause they serve food really late on busy nights, but it would be perfect for us not very busy and plenty of room. Give me a couple of days to see of there are any strings worth pulling some where else, and I'll let you guys know. And yes I will provide directions, time and a contact number ( as in my cell) for everybody. Cheers I'm really excited to get to meet all of you. Feel like friends already :) Going to make the first week of school so much easier now.

And for all that may be interested there will be tequila tasting the following monday please pm me if your down

Sejal319

New

Post by Sejal319 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:24 am

So at the risk of offending people ( :? ) how many are planning on staying the whole 3 years and/or transferring out?

Not saying anything about McGeorge but I know of a few people that want to transfer to schools in bigger cities for networking, etc?

stellenboschmaties

New

Post by stellenboschmaties » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:00 am

i'm up for the fifth as well and the tequila tasting the following monday! we're actually heading out today for california! i'll see you guys in about a week! i probably won't have internet access too often, but i'll keep you posted on our progress! any suggestions on things to see as we travel through MO, OK, AZ, NM, NV and CA?

i don't know about anybody else, but it's gonna be tough enough for me to adjust to one new city. i don't think i'll be switching to another before i'm done.

i hope you guys are having a terrific wednesday! wish us luck on our cross country adventure!

samm

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:25 am

Hey does anyone need a laptop? I just bought a brand new Lenovo T61 and then got a going away gift from some work friends today, so I will be selling my Lenovo. It cost me a whopping $1493 :P Can you believe it! But if you want it we can work out some numbers and I’ll even ship it over to you if you’d like it that way! I know this isn’t like a sales room or anything, but the thing should run pretty well! I just opened the package yesterday so everything is still untouched! It runs on Windows XP if anyone is interested and I put everything back into the same shipping box it came in. I swear it’s totally brand new! Send me an email if you're interested love4lee@gmail.com

Anyway, besides that, let me know where we’re going for the meet and greet. I’m looking forward to seeing you all in about 2 weeks!

P.S. stellenboschmaties definitely check out the grand canyon and the hoover dam between arizona and nevada... better yet... stroll through the strip in vegas! My dad lives there and I always have a great time visiting him!

P.S.S. Sejal319, if all goes well I'll stick to McGeorge... but if I do really well and there's a program at a "better" school or one that I have just been dying to get into and can get into, then I'll probably transfer... as for now... I'm McGeorge bound and glad to be! :)

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:56 pm

Okay, so the meet up is Sunday, August 5th at 8:00 pm at Ink located 2730 N Street (27th and N).

New-to-Sacramento folks, you will find downtown and midtown are easy to navigate because the streets are numbered and lettered. There are one-way streets though so be aware of that.

Sejal, I doubt I will be looking to transfer. I want to live in Sacramento.

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:14 pm

The few people I know that have transferred from one school to another have been pretty sketchy about it. There are things you need to consider. First and formost ideally you will be transfering to a better school (whatever that means other than top 10 or 15 it doesn't matter) so you will be a new person 2nd year at a school that is more competitive and you will know zero people. Thats a bit of a hill to get over. Also there are new procedures, policies and other things to learn.

My lsat instructor had actually transferred from McGeorge to UCD because his wife went there. He said if his wife hadnt been at that school it would have been a lot more difficult and he honestly felt that he wouldn't have been missing anything by staying at McGeorge. And if your doing really well at McGeorge you might want to stay because your class rank will be high, which means you will most likely be headhunted (recruited) and the job searching will be done for you. If you transfer to a better school and lose ranking than you'll have a harder time finding a job. From what I have heard something around the top 1/3 or top 1/4 are recruited. For its ranking and stuff McGeorge has a very good reputation and is respected. Then again if Hastings or some other high ranked school came knocking at my door later in life, I would give some serious thought about answering it.

But I think for the most part people are going to stay put. I think the rate of attrition (sp?) will be higher than the rate of transfer. Although I have heard in recent years McGeorge has done much better at not flunking out loads of 1Ls.

For anyone that gets into town early, feel free to pm or instant mesage me you are all welcome to go out with my friends and I in Sac. We're not too crazy or anything usually just dinner and couple drinks but its better than being couped up in the apartment waiting for school to start. Working at a club for four years kinda of ruined clubbing for me so we usually just go to lounge type places, where you can actually hear the people your talking too. :D

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:59 pm

Sorry I haven't been on here for a while if anyone from McGeorge would like to add me here is my myspace address:

--LinkRemoved--

I hear everyone is getting together so yeah - just hit me up - Fanny Ann's right? That's one of my usual hang outs!

Hope to hear from a few of you!

Ps - Here's my Email: Kmrbeckman@yahoo.com

Kyle

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sloane peterson's father

New

Post by sloane peterson's father » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:10 pm

alright, goddamn it, i'll de-lurk for a second-

i'm starting McGeorge with you guys this fall- I grew up in Sac but have been away at college (UC Berkeley). i moved back here in June and have just been hanging out and relaxing till school begins in august. if anyone has any questions about sac, let me know- i live in land park right now but i lived downtown for three years before i went to Berkeley, so i know the downtown/midtown area pretty well.

feel free to message me, my AIM is benvolioscrew.

i'm looking forward to meeting everyone!- maybe I'll come to that thing at Ink on the fifth. i've only been there once and i was pretty wasted, so i dont really remember what it was like.

oh yeah, i'm 26 and a female. i like to read crime books and watch family guy. that's pretty much it for me. :wink:

Bizzle

New

Post by Bizzle » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:23 pm

Oh crap! You guys said INK - okay - that's what I get for not reading!

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:50 pm

yeah it makes me wonder how many LURKERS we have here, reading all the posts, thinking their thoughts all by themselves... say hi and introduce yourself!!

theargentine

New

Post by theargentine » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:31 pm

i'm not a lurker per se, but I don't really post on here much. I am, however, down for the 5th at Inks and am pretty excited in general about meeting some of my fellow classmates and just getting started with this whole law school business.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Artful_Dodger

New

Post by Artful_Dodger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:55 pm

Yes lurkers POST! haha you know maybe we should have some name tags going on with our Screen names on them! haha that would be funny. We'll all be sitting across the tables from each other and say "What's up Matokah!"
"Not much... so how've you been JarrettN?" "Me? I'm fine, thanks for asking Sejal319!"

haha okay enough with the silly talk. If I haven't said it already, my name's Jen. :D

OregonGirl07

New

Post by OregonGirl07 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:14 pm

:lol: Jen that's funny. I can totally see myself doing that.

Sejal319

New

Post by Sejal319 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:55 pm

Hahahahahahah :lol: I love it.

Well, I'm Sejal haha, (Say-jull). 319 = My birthday!

nosorio2007

New

Post by nosorio2007 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:40 am

I'm in for Ink. I'll be driving up to Sacramento from LA that day, so a few drinks with you fine people would be nice before the rafting trip. I sadly won't have my apartment til wednesday, so i'll staying at a hotel til then. See you guys there.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JarrettN

New

Post by JarrettN » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:41 am

well, I got my reg packet in the mail today. Can't say it really clarified (yeah like the butter) anything at all. We still won't find out what division we are till reg. I believe its according to last name but who knows. Also the financial debacle doesn't become any clearer. It says that tuition is due on the 13th but that the checks don't come until the third week of school. And we have to attend an entrance orientatoin for the loan or some shit.

I dunno, maybe they are trying to weed us out already by making the fin. aid complex. I figured I would just fill the paperwork out properly and everything would take care of itself, like med insurance :) Since the school's number 1 goal would be to get the money from the government I thought they would make it clearer. Anywy from what I can gather we are still in limbo till bout right after that rafting trip ends. oh well time for a beer.

Oh as far as the meeting goes maybe we should have a code word or a secret sign so we know where to go once we get there:)

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:07 am

I got the packet too.

The financial aid stuff is a bit confusing as it says all the tuition and fees are due before August 13, but it also says "Amounts not awarded by financial aid are due before August 13". There is also an installment plan option for paying tuition.

Anyway, I am going to call for clarification.

Also? Tuition = $17,237 per semester for up to 18 units. Each additional unit after 18 is $1,165.

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:09 pm

seriously, does ANYONE know anything about the perkins loan yet??? i'm too lazy to call.

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:23 pm

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adupe

New

Post by adupe » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:12 pm

Yea we should have some kind of code that let's us know who each other is, or maybe we could post pics or send them out in our google group?

P.S. My real name is Andrea :)

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:17 pm

Ouch! So tuition went from 32,800 to 34,400 or so? Yeesh. By the time we graduate, it's going to be close to 40K. :shock: Thanks for the info, though.

Might someone be able to reserve a table at INK for us all? Maybe we should just say to email a certain person if we're going to attend so they can get a head count (or someone could list everyone on here who's mentioned they're going).

This is all getting incredibly real really quickly now.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:35 pm

I think I can edit this post afterwards. People who are planning to be at the meet-up at Ink:

Ipsa Dixit (Andrea)

Matokah (Amber)

Sejal319 (Sejal)

OregonGirl07 (Stephanie)

stellenboschmaties (Samm)

adupe (Andrea)

JarrettN (Jarrett)

Artful_Dodger (Jen)

saleen (?????)

dannyk1101 (Danny)

Bizzle (Kyle)

sloane peterson's father (??????)

theargentine (?????)

nosorio2007 (?????)

gypsy (Ileana)

Let me know if you need to be added/removed from this list. I put question marks where I did not know the real name, but I can change that.
Last edited by Ipsa Dixit on Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Sorry guys, I didn't get a chance to call the financial aid office today since I spent my lunch break seeing another apartment. Glad I did though since it was a good place for me. I got my application in right away, got approved, and will sign a lease on Monday, yay.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”