University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
itforthat

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by itforthat » Fri May 07, 2010 6:29 pm

I will be attending McGeorge this Fall.
So I need friends in Sacramento!!!!! :D

star10

New

Post by star10 » Fri May 07, 2010 7:59 pm

if you guys haven't joined already, there is a McGeorge Class of 2013 group on FB. Feel free to join if you'd like!

itforthat

New

Post by itforthat » Mon May 10, 2010 5:49 pm

Because of our class, McGeorge's ranking is going to rise!!!!!!!

:)

itforthat

New

Post by itforthat » Thu May 13, 2010 4:27 am

Which student organization will you be joining?

American Constitution Society
American Association for Justice
Asian/Pacific American Law Student Association (APALSA)
Black Law Student Association (BLSA)
Environmental Law Society
Governmental Affairs Student Association (GASA)
International Justice Mission
International Law Society
J. Reuben Clark Law Society
Jewish Law Student Association
Junior Barristers Club
Justice Joyce Kennard Fan Club
Lambda Law Students Association
Latina/o Law Students Association
McGeorge Animal Law Society
McGeorge Bike Club
McGeorge Business and Tax Society
McGeorge Federalist Society
McGeorge Golf Club
McGeorge Health Law Association
McGeorge Intellectual Property Student Association
McGeorge Property Law Student Association
McGeorge Rugby Football Club
Matt Lanza
McGeorge Runners
McGeorge Ski & Snowboard Club
McGeorge Softball Club
McGeorge Tennis Club
Middle Eastern/South Asian Association (MESAA)
Muslim Students' Association
OWLS: Older Wiser Law Students
phi alpha delta
Phi Delta Phi
Public Legal Services Society
Women's Caucus

v. dentata

New

Post by v. dentata » Tue May 18, 2010 12:24 am

Trying to decide between USF and McGeorge for public interest. Any input?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 am

I was in the same situation. I made my decision based on the location that I wanted to live/work in.

I felt the quality of education were pretty equal and that job prospects out of either school had their own advantages/disadvantages. It looks like you have a 10k scholarship at McGeorge which is nice, but don't count on renewing it since it's never a sure thing. The cost of living is also cheaper in sacramento but it does lack quality compared to san francisco. There isn't a really clear factor that will separate the schools, you pretty much have to go with your gut. Find out what you want and go with it. As I said, mine was location, I loved SF and had some ties to the bay area.

daywall

New

Post by daywall » Wed May 19, 2010 7:09 pm

Hello, Everyone! I'm waitlisted at McGeorge and just wanted to check out the forum. I checked out the FB and everyone seems pretty cool. McGeorge is my first chioce and I am really hoping to join you all come August. It looks like the waitlist won't be moving until after June 1st. Keeping all appendages crossed. :mrgreen: Peace, Dia.

itforthat

New

Post by itforthat » Fri May 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Good luck!!! :)

v. dentata

New

Post by v. dentata » Sat May 22, 2010 10:10 am

Norwood wrote:I was in the same situation. I made my decision based on the location that I wanted to live/work in.

I felt the quality of education were pretty equal and that job prospects out of either school had their own advantages/disadvantages. It looks like you have a 10k scholarship at McGeorge which is nice, but don't count on renewing it since it's never a sure thing. The cost of living is also cheaper in sacramento but it does lack quality compared to san francisco. There isn't a really clear factor that will separate the schools, you pretty much have to go with your gut. Find out what you want and go with it. As I said, mine was location, I loved SF and had some ties to the bay area.
Wise advice. Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

scuzle

Bronze

Post by scuzle » Wed May 26, 2010 12:07 pm

daywall wrote:Hello, Everyone! I'm waitlisted at McGeorge and just wanted to check out the forum. I checked out the FB and everyone seems pretty cool. McGeorge is my first chioce and I am really hoping to join you all come August. It looks like the waitlist won't be moving until after June 1st. Keeping all appendages crossed. :mrgreen: Peace, Dia.
Fingers crossed

stiltzkiin

New

Post by stiltzkiin » Thu May 27, 2010 12:37 am

daywall wrote:Keeping all appendages crossed.
sounds painful, but seeing as i'm in the same wait-list boat as you, let the appendage crossing begin!

meow

New

Post by meow » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:00 pm

did you guys find out you got in when the dean of admissions called you?

bestusernameever

New

Post by bestusernameever » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:04 pm

you guys are going to this shit school. damn

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:08 pm

itforthat wrote:Which student organization will you be joining?

American Constitution Society
American Association for Justice
Asian/Pacific American Law Student Association (APALSA)
Black Law Student Association (BLSA)
Environmental Law Society
Governmental Affairs Student Association (GASA)
International Justice Mission
International Law Society
J. Reuben Clark Law Society
Jewish Law Student Association
Junior Barristers Club
Justice Joyce Kennard Fan Club
Lambda Law Students Association
Latina/o Law Students Association
McGeorge Animal Law Society
McGeorge Bike Club
McGeorge Business and Tax Society
McGeorge Federalist Society
McGeorge Golf Club
McGeorge Health Law Association
McGeorge Intellectual Property Student Association
McGeorge Property Law Student Association
McGeorge Rugby Football Club
Matt Lanza
McGeorge Runners
McGeorge Ski & Snowboard Club
McGeorge Softball Club
McGeorge Tennis Club
Middle Eastern/South Asian Association (MESAA)
Muslim Students' Association
OWLS: Older Wiser Law Students
Phi Alpha Delta
Phi Delta Phi
Public Legal Services Society
Women's Caucus
All.

Don't ask how.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:46 am

bestusernameever wrote:you guys are going to this shit school. damn

JCooper36

New

Post by JCooper36 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:06 pm

If you have the numbers, is this a hard school to get into? For some reason I got the impression that it would be one of the easier schools to get into, but this is a huge thread.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:05 pm

JCooper36 wrote:If you have the numbers, is this a hard school to get into? For some reason I got the impression that it would be one of the easier schools to get into, but this is a huge thread.
It is easy to get into, which is why the thread is huge...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCooper36

New

Post by JCooper36 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:26 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JCooper36 wrote:
Thanks for the candid response. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those schools that only admit like 10% of their qualified applicants. I like em' easy.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:15 pm

JCooper36 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JCooper36 wrote:
Thanks for the candid response. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those schools that only admit like 10% of their qualified applicants. I like em' easy.
Put it this way: A childhood friend of mine posted to his FB that he'll be attending law school in the fall. I don't really talk to this fellow TOO often, but we're requisite "mutual friends" on Facebook still, I'm sure you're all familiar with that. So, I was excited about a possible fellow Stanford or Boalt attendee, and asked him where he's going. "McGeorge!" he replies to my wall post, in a very thrilled manner with lots of !!!! and emoticons. So, going through this process myself the last year and this year (preparation for LSAT, getting LoRs, etc) I asked him what kind of LSAT prep he'd done - None beyond the SuperPrep book. He included his LSAT score: 158. With an astonishing 3.501 GPA from Sac State and a 156, with NOTHING by the way of softs except for high school debate club, he got in, no W/L.

But, I guess for Sacramento, it actually places pretty well, so I wished him luck.

Point of the anecdote was to illustrate how entirely easy McGeorge is to get into. Last I checked, their acceptance rate was 40% (1145/2881)

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:29 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote: Put it this way: A childhood friend of mine posted to his FB that he'll be attending law school in the fall. I don't really talk to this fellow TOO often, but we're requisite "mutual friends" on Facebook still, I'm sure you're all familiar with that. So, I was excited about a possible fellow Stanford or Boalt attendee, and asked him where he's going. "McGeorge!" he replies to my wall post, in a very thrilled manner with lots of !!!! and emoticons. So, going through this process myself the last year and this year (preparation for LSAT, getting LoRs, etc) I asked him what kind of LSAT prep he'd done - None beyond the SuperPrep book. He included his LSAT score: 158. With an astonishing 3.501 GPA from Sac State and a 156, with NOTHING by the way of softs except for high school debate club, he got in, no W/L.

But, I guess for Sacramento, it actually places pretty well, so I wished him luck.

Point of the anecdote was to illustrate how entirely easy McGeorge is to get into. Last I checked, their acceptance rate was 40% (1145/2881)
Seriously?

Stanford and Berkeley are top 10 schools, most law students aren't going to schools like that. Drawing any type of comparison between SLS/Boalt and a low T2 is without purpose.

And what does "fellow Stanford or Boalt attendee" even mean? Do you go to both of those schools? Are you admitted to both of those schools? Does it matter? It just seems like you are taking this opportunity to take a jab at the school without any substantive information.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:32 pm

JCooper36 wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
JCooper36 wrote:
Take a look around at admission requirements for McGeorge, such as the median and quartiles for GPA/LSAT's admitted. That will give you a good sense of whether or not you're in their range (plus law school predictor seems fairly accurate).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:27 pm

Seriously?
Yeah.

Stanford and Berkeley are top 10 schools, most law students aren't going to schools like that. Drawing any type of comparison between SLS/Boalt and a low T2 is without purpose.
Wasn't comparing them.
And what does "fellow Stanford or Boalt attendee" even mean? Do you go to both of those schools? Are you admitted to both of those schools? Does it matter? It just seems like you are taking this opportunity to take a jab at the school without any substantive information.
That was a definite mistake on my behalf. What I meant to say was that I expected this guy to have similar goals/ambitions. Naturally, not everyone can go to even a T20 school! But, shouldn't everyone want to try? Aspirations such as those are what this country was founded upon. That was my surprise. I certainly made a mistake, as I said, in the way I phrased that!

I stand by the rest of my post. McGeorge is easy to get into, the numbers don't lie, whatever your personal feelings are on the matter.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:00 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Seriously?
Yeah.

Wasn't comparing them.
That was a definite mistake on my behalf. What I meant to say was that I expected this guy to have similar goals/ambitions. Naturally, not everyone can go to even a T20 school! But, shouldn't everyone want to try? Aspirations such as those are what this country was founded upon. That was my surprise. I certainly made a mistake, as I said, in the way I phrased that!

I stand by the rest of my post. McGeorge is easy to get into, the numbers don't lie, whatever your personal feelings are on the matter.
I agree 100% that McGeorge is easy to get into, but that's not really the point of the rest of your post.

And I would LOVE to go to Yale...but it's not going to happen. I'm happy I am going to be going to school where I am, but that doesn't mean I didn't wish I was going to Yale, Harvard, or Stanford.

Aggiegrad2011

Gold

Post by Aggiegrad2011 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:07 pm

The point of the post was to illustrate, through anecdote, how easy McGeorge is to get into. I then used data to back that up (40% is easy to get into).

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:08 pm

ITT: Aggiegrad is annoying.....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”