University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:25 pm

lmcelhat wrote:does anyone know how to open up an email account for mcgeorge?
They set it up during the orientation or first week of school... or something. Memory's a little fuzzy on it.

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:38 pm

Hey peeps I'm back from vaca. Any news since I've been gone?
PatentX wrote:
SoftBoiledLife wrote:To the guy saying he wanted to have a BBQ/kegger in a local park: McClatchy Park, which is right by McG is not the sort of place you can put out a keg of beer and not have the drifters descend like flies. Other Sacramento parks are also not terribly keg-friendly, unless you like haggling with the SPD. I suggest going with bottled beers or a private residence.

(Don't mean to be a wet blanket - just sayin')
I just want to second this warning. You risk attracting worse than drifters in that park. They have warned students against entering the park during past orientations.

If you park your car there don't be surprised if someone smashes your window either
I've done my homework and McClatchy is a hole. I'm going to avoid it even during the day. This site should be checked out for all those that are planning on living in North/Central/South Oak Park or on campus... --LinkRemoved-- You can search by street intersection, too.

I also looked into alcohol permits for a kegger in Sacto parks, and it doesn't seem to be worth the effort and cost.
travvo wrote:Soon to enter the t-50 when the brain trust (i.e. class of '11) leaves its mark.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:26 pm

hey guys!
i wanted to write and welcome all you newcomers to mcgeorge. congratulations on getting in! i remember this time last year i was on this website meeting new people, trying to arrange for a pre-orientation gettogether. its an exciting time! i've been reading some of the recent threads. DO NOT throw a bbq at the park next to our school. there's an unspoken agreement between the neighborhood and our school that we don't go into the park and they dont come onto campus. I read someone saying your car is at risk of getting its window smashed if you park on that street - well i'm not sure its that bad. day kids park there all day long and have done so with no problem as far as i know. i suppose nightime is a different story.

anyways, let me know if you guys have any questions..

as an aside on housing - i may be transferring schools and would be offering my apt, fully furnished, for a new mcg student to come into. I'd sign over the lease to you and collect some amount of money for the furniture. It's a pretty well decorated apt and would be happy to show anyone after i've made a final decision on transferring. the apt is in midtown and in a decent building with parking in the back. $700 one bedroom including parking. $675 without parking spot.

kimbowmanjr

New

Post by kimbowmanjr » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:05 pm

Just to be clear, the BBQ is being held at a student's house and we won't be doing anything in the park near school. If you're an incoming 1L, there are about 40 of us on the Facebook group, and we'd love to have you at our activities (http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=1 ... 831&ref=ts)!

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:37 am

For those of you getting into town early (or who live there!):

Sacramento's Annual Trash Film Orgy
Hailed by the Sacramento News & Review as “Sacramento’s best film festival…for its ingenuity, gore content, retro-zaniness and pure excess.” The Sacramento Bee calls it “A celebration of the cinematic blend of gritty horror and slap-stick comedy.”
MIDNIGHT MOVIES TAKEN WAY TOO FAR!
The Trash Film Orgy is an annual sleaze fest bringing you the trashiest, goriest and most bizarre movies ever made. Taking place inside the historic and HAUNTED Crest Theatre, TFO presents a cult cinema experience like no other featuring incredible live stage shows, live bands, local films, carnival-type games, the Retro-Trash Lounge (hosted by our friends at retrocrush.com), unbelievable wacky antics and audience participation...we may love these films, but we aren't afraid to poke fun at them or ourselves! So don’t expect to just to sit in a dark theatre holding your sweeties hand...you'll be contending with live circus freaks, contortionists, random zombie attacks and more.
Join legendary underground luchador EL TIGRE DIABLO, along with his sidekick the Mighty Tiki as they present the most exciting experience you will ever have in a motion picture theatre...for reals!

--LinkRemoved--

I'll be in town in time for the July 19th show, if anyone wants to join me and be geeks together.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MPrigmore

New

Post by MPrigmore » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:23 am

Hey there everyone... my name is Matt, I am in the McGeorge day class of '11. Can't wait to meet all of you.

It happens that the house I am renting has room for one more female. You would have a spacious room in a 3b/2b house and share the bathroom with another female (previous Mcgeorge student) We are less than 2 miles away from the school but live on a VERY nice, safe street. The house has top notch cable, new air conditioning, and a hot tub. (the hot tub is SUPER relaxing)

Anyway if you are interested go ahead and write me.... the rent is 550 a month.

Thanks!
matt

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:44 am

skylar wrote:For those of you getting into town early (or who live there!):

Sacramento's Annual Trash Film Orgy
Hailed by the Sacramento News & Review as “Sacramento’s best film festival…for its ingenuity, gore content, retro-zaniness and pure excess.” The Sacramento Bee calls it “A celebration of the cinematic blend of gritty horror and slap-stick comedy.”
MIDNIGHT MOVIES TAKEN WAY TOO FAR!
The Trash Film Orgy is an annual sleaze fest bringing you the trashiest, goriest and most bizarre movies ever made. Taking place inside the historic and HAUNTED Crest Theatre, TFO presents a cult cinema experience like no other featuring incredible live stage shows, live bands, local films, carnival-type games, the Retro-Trash Lounge (hosted by our friends at retrocrush.com), unbelievable wacky antics and audience participation...we may love these films, but we aren't afraid to poke fun at them or ourselves! So don’t expect to just to sit in a dark theatre holding your sweeties hand...you'll be contending with live circus freaks, contortionists, random zombie attacks and more.
Join legendary underground luchador EL TIGRE DIABLO, along with his sidekick the Mighty Tiki as they present the most exciting experience you will ever have in a motion picture theatre...for reals!

--LinkRemoved--

I'll be in town in time for the July 19th show, if anyone wants to join me and be geeks together.
This is right up my ally. I may have to check this spectacle out.
MPrigmore wrote:Hey there everyone... my name is Matt, I am in the McGeorge day class of '11. Can't wait to meet all of you.

It happens that the house I am renting has room for one more female. You would have a spacious room in a 3b/2b house and share the bathroom with another female (previous Mcgeorge student) We are less than 2 miles away from the school but live on a VERY nice, safe street. The house has top notch cable, new air conditioning, and a hot tub. (the hot tub is SUPER relaxing)

Anyway if you are interested go ahead and write me.... the rent is 550 a month.

Thanks!
matt
A hot tub!??!! How awesome would that be...

On another note... does anyone know if the on campus book store sells the Deluxe Black's Law Dictionary at a discounted price? I don't think they do, but I want to make sure before I dole out the $80 it costs...

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:46 am

Hey Matt, congrats on getting a place so quickly. (p.s. I'm Kelly) May I just say that I'm jealous because your place sounds perfect!

ants
-- where did you find it for only $80. Cheapest I've found is $86 unless you get it used. I'm actually planning on buying all books at orientation, but is this going to be too late?

Speaking of books, I'm just going to put this other question out there:

Would you recommend buying used books (already filled with notes and brim full of highlighted pages) OR buy new and start from scratch?

skylar-- sorry I can't join! I'll be arriving just before all the pre-orientation fun starts. Great idea getting a paper though -- I might follow your lead and sign up for the Bee to remain somewhat connected to the world outside of law school.

MPrigmore

New

Post by MPrigmore » Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:16 am

Thanks again Kelly for introducing me to this board. I am really pleased with this place, the only thing that would make it perfect is if I had a roommate who was in my section.

Also if any day students are already in sac and care to meet up, let me know. I just moved here and I dont know anybody..hence the writing on law school message boards on a saturday night.. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:20 pm

tequila on the amazon seller list there are 2 new copies of the dictionary for $80, but that does not include S&H. I just ordered it from amazon, got free S&H and coughed up the extra $2. Anyway I've read in many places that it would really be to your advantage to buy new books because of all the notes you will want to be placing in the margins. They will help you when making your briefs for class.

lmcelhat

New

Post by lmcelhat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:46 am

why do i have no idea what book/dictionary you guys are talking about? is there some booklist everyone knows of except for me?

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:57 am

lmcelhat wrote:why do i have no idea what book/dictionary you guys are talking about? is there some booklist everyone knows of except for me?
Nah Black's Law Dictionary is pretty much the standard dictionary most law schools and attorneys use. Adam Barrett said on Law Day that if we wanted to get anything before orientation that this dictionary should be it.

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:49 pm

Hi everyone, I finally joined this forum after being a long time lurker just checking things out. I'm starting Pacific in the Fall, day division. I was wondering if anyone has lived on campus before, I got assigned a one bedroom furnished apartment in Blackacre and just was wondering what your experience was like. Anyways, hope to meet you all soon!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:51 pm

Thank god I finally got a studio on campus, but cannot move in until the 11th, right before orientation starts!!! Oh man, I don't want to miss the BBQ....

p.s. does anyone want to go grocery shopping together sometimes before class starts?

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:22 pm

Chibi wrote:Thank god I finally got a studio on campus, but cannot move in until the 11th, right before orientation starts!!! Oh man, I don't want to miss the BBQ....

p.s. does anyone want to go grocery shopping together sometimes before class starts?
Would you want to go to Costco, Trader Joe's, or the farmers market w/me?

--LinkRemoved--

^^^ great fun for downtown hippie watching

pachydermavenger

New

Post by pachydermavenger » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:21 pm

PM me if you still haven't gotten housing yet... I have a space or two in a sweet apartment really close to school.

dannyk1101

New

Post by dannyk1101 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 8:58 pm

I just finished my 1L so I wanted to give some relevant advice based on recents threads.

Blacks law dictionary: The abridged and much more portable version was given to us for free early on, during orientation I believe. I'm not sure I even looked at that book at all. Most of the time you're at a computer and its just easier to punch the term into google or use westlaw or lexis (which are the internet legal research websites you'll become familiar with soon enough). One of these has the Blacks Law dictionary online for free. Additionally, if you really want one, why not ebay and get a used?

As for textbooks: I would recommend getting clean books. Sometimes you can find used books at our school bookstore that are pretty clean but its nice to have a fresh book, for your marginal notes and bookbriefs as someone mentioned. The cost of books first semester (which will last you all year with the exception of crim law in the spring) is over a $1000. So although I understand the desire to want to save some money, its possible a used book will have unimportant elements highlighted, marginal notes that are wrong, etc. As a first year, when probably most of you have never read a case before, I think its important that you not get distracted by misinformation from previous owners of a book....

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

allycat

New

Post by allycat » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:03 pm

Chibi wrote:Thank god I finally got a studio on campus, but cannot move in until the 11th, right before orientation starts!!! Oh man, I don't want to miss the BBQ....

I've got a studio as well with the same move-in date.....kind of a crappy move-in date.

jribe

New

advice please!

Post by jribe » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:31 pm

Hi everyone,
I just found this website a few days ago, and i will admit i have not had a chance to read everything; so please bear with me!
I would really love to go to McGeorge Law, it's pretty close to me now (I live in Modesto) and I like living in the area. I was wondering of those that were accepted what was your aid package like? How much in scholarships, and what they were tied to? Also when responding if you could give your GPA and LSAT that would be great.
I have a 3.6 GPA, but haven't taken the LSAT yet. I'm going through licensing for my current job and won't have time for the LSAT until December most likely.
I worked full-time through college, so i am hoping that will help in regards to the okay GPA.
I would still go to McGeorge even if I need to take out full loans- but i'd like to see what everyone was offered.

Thanks so much for your help!
Last edited by jribe on Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:02 pm

tequilasunriseplz wrote:

Would you want to go to Costco, Trader Joe's, or the farmers market w/me?

--LinkRemoved--

^^^ great fun for downtown hippie watching

I don't mind going any of the above, though I don't have a costco car :(

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:19 pm

Hahaha, I want to go to Trader Joe's, just because the only Trader Joe's I know is an amazing second-hand furniture store in SC. It being a grocery store makes me laugh.

However, if someone's got the Costco card, maybe we could have a field trip for amazing savings? I don't have one either.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:59 am

:shock: Free Black's Law Dictionary online! Thanks for the info dannyk. Is your last name Kim?

I have a Costco card so when it gets closer to orientation let's just find a day we can meet up at the Cal Expo Costco and raid their jumbo warehouse shelves. Trader Joe's furniture? That's a new one. This reminds me, I just found out Costco sells a Kirkland casket! Is there anything Kirkland doesn't make?

jribe I don't mean to be rude, I truly love the color pink, but your message was even too pink for me to handle. I almost didn't read the whole thing because I started to get a headache. I'm so happy cases are in black font & not bright pink. If you are interested in McGeorge, then your GPA gives you a really good shot. You can check LSAC for the min LSAT score you will need to get into McGeorge (or any other school) with your GPA. Are you going to take a LSAT prep class? If not, then definitely buy a practice LSAT book & take the tests inside as if you were taking the actual test. Time yourself & do the whole test. I'm not certain, but I get the impression that Pacific McGeorge gives scholarships out pretty liberally. I'm going to be a 1L this fall & it seems the biggest trick might be keeping your scholarship by staying in the top 20-30% of the class.

jribe

New

Post by jribe » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:00 am

Tequila-
Thank you for responding despite the pink. I went back and edited.

I have a few LSAT books to use, but are there any specifically you found most helpful?

Thanks

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:05 pm

jribe wrote:Tequila-
Thank you for responding despite the pink. I went back and edited.

I have a few LSAT books to use, but are there any specifically you found most helpful?

Thanks
https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/Shop_Books.aspx?po=Y

I would say hands down, the SuperPrep is a must. Then the books with 10 official tests.

I'm not a qualified opinion though... I tanked the LSAT, but not from a lack of preparation!

skylar

New

Post by skylar » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:16 pm

Jribe:

Practice tests are practice tests are practice tests. The trick is actually doing them, unlike myself. I had three very expensive books and probably opened them about three times. Total. So the actual book doesn't matter as long as you use it. Besides, if you're just wanting practice tests, it shouldn't matter how they're bound. Check with your undergrad school because my school's academic success office would give you free practice tests.

As for the GPA/LSAT thing, check out --LinkRemoved-- It's the law school locator created by Boston College, and it'll give you a good idea around where you stand. But McGeorge seems VERY liberal with those scholarships. Even more importantly, there are LOTS of continuing student scholarships. So if you come in with not-the-best numbers, you can still get a scholarship 2nd and 3rd year. My state school only awards scholarships once: incoming students. But your GPA is perfectly fine, definitely high on the McGeorge scale.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”