University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Matokah

Bronze

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by Matokah » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:37 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:What areas do you recommend for housing? I am thinking mid-town, I'm going to be moving from San Francisco, and I think I need to stay in a populated place within walking distance to stuff....or I might go crazy. Are there particular areas of mid-town to look in, or is it all essentially the same? Other areas you might suggest?
Hey there. If you're coming from a large city and want to keep at least a little of that vibe, you're correct in mentioning Midtown. I don't live in Midtown myself (it's a little too expensive for me -- although compared to San Francisco, I'm sure my statement sounds laughable at best), so I'm not sure if there are better areas to live in or not (perhaps Ipsa can comment on this the next time she's around?). Downtown seems nice, as well, although since the majority of jobs are government-related, it turns a bit into a ghost town over the weekends and after about 6 each weeknight. I've been down to the K street mall after dusk on a weeknight, and it's felt a little creepy to me. I haven't really feared for my safety ever, but that's just the vibe I get.

I live in Arden-Arcade myself. It's about 7 miles east of the school and 3-4 miles from downtown/mid-town. I moved here specifically because it felt like a bit of a suburb in the city (there's a mall nearby and just about any kind of chain restaurant you could possibly want to eat at within walking distance of where I live). I've heard tell that there's a lot of noise and police sirens/helicopters in the area, but I've maybe heard one or two in the past 2.5 years I've lived here. I live in a gated condo community, though, so I feel safe and it's relatively quiet where I live.

I'm not sure if any of this helps. I know a lot of people swear by Land Park (closer to campus but not in the more questionable Oak Park where the school is located) and the Pocket Area, although I can't speak to either neighborhood since I rarely go down that way. Again, maybe Ipsa can talk about those more.

Hope this helps a little, although I think it was mostly just me babbling.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:32 pm

I live in midtown and think if you want a more urban vibe, midtown is the way to go. Matokah is right about downtown feeling like a ghost town after dark and on weekends. There are some clubs and good restaurants on and around K street downtown, but it still feels very vacant.

Midtown is a mix of restaurants, clubs, shops, and residences. It's a nice area to walk around and is only about a 5-10 minute drive to school. I have also biked to school and it didn't take that long. I am not sure what geographic area is specifically defined as midtown, but here is what I think are the borders: Highway 50 to the South, C Street to the North, 16th Street to the West, and Business 80 to the East.

Land Park, Curtis Park, and the Pocket are residential areas. They are more quiet and I have known people who liked living in these areas.

East Sacramento is also another possibility though there are fewer apartments for rent there than in midtown. It is quieter than midtown, but still has a lot of unique shops and restaurants.

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:54 pm

Ipsa Dixit wrote:I live in midtown and think if you want a more urban vibe, midtown is the way to go. Matokah is right about downtown feeling like a ghost town after dark and on weekends. There are some clubs and good restaurants on and around K street downtown, but it still feels very vacant.

Midtown is a mix of restaurants, clubs, shops, and residences. It's a nice area to walk around and is only about a 5-10 minute drive to school. I have also biked to school and it didn't take that long. I am not sure what geographic area is specifically defined as midtown, but here is what I think are the borders: Highway 50 to the South, C Street to the North, 16th Street to the West, and Business 80 to the East.

Land Park, Curtis Park, and the Pocket are residential areas. They are more quiet and I have known people who liked living in these areas.

East Sacramento is also another possibility though there are fewer apartments for rent there than in midtown. It is quieter than midtown, but still has a lot of unique shops and restaurants.
I've been to Sacramento a number of times, and I have always liked the feel of Midtown, I was just curious if there were other areas I should take interest in. However, it seems like Midtown is definitely the place I should be looking.

Thanks!

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Not too many places will be bustling with activity in Sac, but Midtown comes closest. Someone mentioned this earlier, the Arden Area along Howe is also another place that may be worth checking out. It's by the State University so there's somewhat of a crowd, although it's still pretty dead compared to sf. The area pretty much has everything you'll need, 24hourfitness, grocery store, chain restaurants, target, a mall, etc. all within under 5mins driving. the borders of the arcade do get kind of sketchy, but you lived in sf so nothing to worry about.

Matokah

Bronze

Post by Matokah » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:14 pm

Agreed with Norwood. I live about a mile away from Sac State, the local 4 year university that's in Arden, Sacramento. Be cautious to ask about (or be observant of) each apartment complex's feel. From my neighbor's original reactions to my move-in* (I'm renting in a condo community where most people own), I got the distinct feeling that most Sac State students (or a large, stereotypical majority of them) are loud and like to party. Typical undergrads, for the most part.

That's cool and all, but law school's an entirely different story, and you're going to need a quieter environment to study if you're anything like me. Some complexes in the Arden area seem to cater to Sac State students, so be aware.

Also to note: the housing office at McGeorge keeps up with a list for roommate searches and also people wanting to advertise places they have up for rent. This is how I found both of my roommates in law school, and how I advertised my condo (I was subletting a room out under the original lease I'd signed with my landlord). It's a great resource.

*I was literally interrogated by a few of my nosier neighbors during my move in: "Are you a Sac State student? Do you throw a lot of parties?" etc. Now that they realize I have no time for parties and tend to konk out around 10p.m. on weeknights, they're a lot nicer to me. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Great Satchmo

Silver

Post by Great Satchmo » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 pm

I'm definitely prepared for the change in pace, I know Sacramento is certainly not going to have the type of activity that downtown San Francisco has.

I'll be looking in mid-town, I think, because it seems to have more of the unique places (i.e. less chain places), a young professional crowd (so you get the partying with necessitated moderation), and proximity to campus. Plus, I like to run and it looked like there are some decent streets to run on. And lastly, I'm hoping to adopt a dog, so being closer to campus could help with trips home in my schedule for that.

I went to a conference near/in Arden and from what I remember, it was just larger through streets with a lot of big shopping complexes...not exactly my thing.

dreamz01

New

Post by dreamz01 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:59 am

does anything think i should be scared at this point if i havent been admitted?

i have been complete since the beginning of January and still waiting for an answer. every time i send an email to admissions (four times so far) they say a decision should be made in the next two weeks and if not i should email them again.

anyone else in this situation?

im getting a little antsy :cry:

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:21 am

same boat. complete 1/11/10 and also sent them an email. They said we're guaranteed an answer by may 1st since we applied before the priority deadline. Sadly, mcgeorge would've warranted serious consideration if they had not taken so long, but i've grown dedicated to another school. So at this point it would take some serious cash to bring Mcgeorge back into the equation.

JDO

New

Post by JDO » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:59 am

dreamz01 wrote:does anything think i should be scared at this point if i havent been admitted?

i have been complete since the beginning of January and still waiting for an answer. every time i send an email to admissions (four times so far) they say a decision should be made in the next two weeks and if not i should email them again.

anyone else in this situation?

im getting a little antsy :cry:
Call?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dreamz01

New

Post by dreamz01 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:42 pm

i called, visited in person, and sent the emails and i always get the same response.... im not sure if this is the norm with how they treat everyone or this is just a sign that they dont like me... :?

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:44 pm

dreamz01 wrote:does anything think i should be scared at this point if i havent been admitted?
Have you been accepted elsewhere?

If that is the case, maybe be concerned and continue to express interest. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.
im not sure if this is the norm with how they treat everyone or this is just a sign that they dont like me...
It's not just you. As a student, you will get used to getting the runaround from administrators at the school.

vacations

Bronze

Post by vacations » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Hello,

I just got Decision Rendered today (4/21) - I went complete 1/11.

Should I view this as a ding/WL seeing that first deadline just passed and I'm assuming most schools would need more time to sort through things to see approximately how many more seats to fill?

...or am I just overthinking things just like I am doing for the rest of my cycle? =/

Thanks all.

dreamz01

New

Post by dreamz01 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:13 pm

thank you for your response Ipsa Dixit AND norwood!

vacations i hope that i get a decision rendered today! i've been complete since 1/6.

i just talked to the ladies in admissions again and they said that they accept, waitlist, and reject people all the way up to 5/1 just like norwood said

gosh this cycle is taking forever to complete!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:07 pm

I'd like one McGeorge with cheese please. Supersize that.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:14 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:I'd like one McGeorge with cheese please. Supersize that.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:29 am

Ipsa Dixit wrote: Hey guys, look at me! I'm so cool that I made a user name in latin. Aren't I smart? Com'mon tell me I'm smart!

wonner

New

Post by wonner » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:25 am

Ipsa Dixit wrote:
im not sure if this is the norm with how they treat everyone or this is just a sign that they dont like me...
It's not just you. As a student, you will get used to getting the runaround from administrators at the school.
I was under the impression that the faculty and staff at McGeorge are generally friendly and helpful. This is not your experience? Are you happy with your decision to attend the school?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:00 am

wonner wrote: I was under the impression that the faculty and staff at McGeorge are generally friendly and helpful. This is not your experience? Are you happy with your decision to attend the school?
It's a mixed bag. Definitely most of the faculty are friendly and helpful. I think most of the support staff are friendly and helpful as well. Now sometimes these people are friendly, but not helpful. I also think some of the administrators (and it is a very dean heavy school) can be indifferent and unthinking, which results in student frustration. Not always, but enough of the time that I and other students have some very negative feelings about it.

I am happy with my decision to attend the school. I think I have received a very good education here. I have had some great experiences and met a lot of wonderful people. However, I also feel frustrated about certain experiences at the school that I and my friends have had. I have positive and negative feelings about the school.

dreamz01

New

Post by dreamz01 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:29 am

vacations wrote:Hello,

I just got Decision Rendered today (4/21) - I went complete 1/11.

Should I view this as a ding/WL seeing that first deadline just passed and I'm assuming most schools would need more time to sort through things to see approximately how many more seats to fill?

...or am I just overthinking things just like I am doing for the rest of my cycle? =/

Thanks all.

My status changed to DR on 4/22 and got a letter in the mail about being waitlisted. Im pretty upset about this bc of the whole souled effort i put into relaying to the school how interested I am.

Does anyone know how large their waitlist is and if I have any chance of being picked off of it?

Im so frustrated and sad.... :?

dylsco

New

Post by dylsco » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:49 pm

I was recently admitted to McGeorge and awarded the Kennedy Fellowship. It is a fantastic opportunity, but I have goals of working in D.C. I am wondering what are the realistic possibilities of practicing law in the East with a law degree from McGeorge.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Sat May 01, 2010 5:37 pm

dylsco wrote:I was recently admitted to McGeorge and awarded the Kennedy Fellowship. It is a fantastic opportunity, but I have goals of working in D.C. I am wondering what are the realistic possibilities of practicing law in the East with a law degree from McGeorge.
The DC alumni group are a very helpful group of people. You should get to know some of them. There's a dinner in the fall that is free to students where they have alumni from different practice areas and geographic areas. I have seen a DC table at the event.

I went to conference in DC last fall. The school provided partial travel stipends for some students, but not for everyone and not enough to cover hotel. Some of the DC alumni allowed students attending the conference to stay in their homes. They also had a dinner get together with alumni and students when we were there for the conference. I was very impressed with how warm and helpful the DC alums were.

You should also try to work in during the summer. There is a fellowship (LinkRemoved) that funds a few students in DC each summer.

You could also look into visiting another school for a semester in DC or doing a full-time externship there.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Fri May 07, 2010 2:05 am

Hey I'm currently on the part time wl. I don't have a car, how easy is it to get around sacramento without one? There's a light rail station not too far from the school, is it safe to walk from the school to it? Just wondering because if I get in part time I'd be getting out of class at night.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Fri May 07, 2010 2:40 am

Birdman wrote:Hey I'm currently on the part time wl. I don't have a car, how easy is it to get around sacramento without one? There's a light rail station not too far from the school, is it safe to walk from the school to it? Just wondering because if I get in part time I'd be getting out of class at night.
I do not think it is at all safe to walk to the light rail station or the nearest bus stop after dark. If you are taking the part-time program, you will be getting out of class well after dark. This is a situation where I would suggest living on campus or in some of the housing in the immediate vicinity of campus (there are houses and some apartments bordering the McGeorge campus to the north).

Birdman

Bronze

Post by Birdman » Fri May 07, 2010 2:56 am

Thanks, yeah if its part time I'll definitely have to get housing on campus then.

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Fri May 07, 2010 2:59 am

Possible but it isn't going to be fun. Sacramento is very very spread out and not really a public transportation friendly city. it's hard to say whether it's safe or not, the area is pretty sketchy so you can say that the possibility of an incident happening is higher relative to other areas.

I suggest living in the Arden area, there is a lot of stuff concentrated there such as restaurants, shopping, and grocery stores. You should be able to get around by bus easily there. Looking at googlemaps it looks like an 1 - 1.5 hour trip from McGeorge which includes walking + lightrail. Maybe you could bike to the station?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”