University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Matokah

Bronze

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by Matokah » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:31 am

Tequila: You *should* have already gotten it with your financial aid award letter and potentially even your acceptance letter. It starts with 988 at the beginning.

If not, contact admissions and ask them what yours is. They should have that on file.

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about their health insurance since I'm fortunate to be on my parents' until I turn 25 (in. . .yeep! 6 months. . .then I don't know what I will do).

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:05 am

tequilasunriseplz wrote:ahahahhahhaha...oh yeah right ants. Save that for Halloween :)
Well, when in Rome... (my new favorite phrase).
Matokah wrote:Tequila: You *should* have already gotten it with your financial aid award letter and potentially even your acceptance letter. It starts with 988 at the beginning
OK when I did this a couple days ago I checked my acceptance letter and it wasn't on there. My fin aid award letter was in a different folder, so I was too lazy to check that (even though the thought did cross my mind). Anyway the number is on there. I'm assuming we're supposed to select UOP for school since McGeorge does not come up?

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:18 am

Ah, thank you for letting me know. Sorry I don't seem with it, but I've never even seen a single piece of mail from McG. I'm having the important info sent to me via email since I'm traveling.

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:41 am

antsinmypants wrote:Word up to all yall playboys and playgirls that'll be keepin' it real in da hood wit me, mah baby girl and mah junk yard beagle!
That's what's up homie! We stay extra crispy up in Oak Park, ya dig?!

chittychittybangbang

New

Post by chittychittybangbang » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:45 pm

Alright everyone, I need some help from my fellow classmates! I thought I had my housing all worked out, having even flown out to Sacramento from Arizona to check out a few houses last week, and was figuring out all the details with one house in particular to write up a lease, when the lady backed out on me at the last minute!

Ive been looking all over the internet (craigslist, apartments.com, sacbee.com, etc...) and am having a tough time coming up with somewhere to live.

I cant make it out there again before I move there on the 5th of August, so I'm wondering if anyone who lives in the Sacramento area knows of any homes/apartments for rent that are in good condition and in the Curtis Park/N.Land Park area ? Im really trying to live close enough to ride my bike to school, hence my location request. Im looking for a two-bedroom house or apartment at or under $1200.

Help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:14 pm

chittychittybangbang: read the previous postings on this thread. A few people have mentioned that they have a place to rent. A lot of people have posted that they are looking for room mates. Definitely contact these people through a PM.

Also, if you're on Facebook join the McGeorge Class of 2011 group. A lot of people have posted the same things on there (even though a lot of them are the same people that have posted on here). If you don't have a Facebook profile then make one just so you can become a member of this group.

Good luck! Looking for places to live sucks, especially with how flakey people can be.

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:35 am

For those who have on campus housing, I just talked to Nancy Whalen, she said that we will have to pick up the keys from housing office first and then go to the apartment. I will be flying in on the 11th, so I would have to drag my luggage across the campus to Silveracre (guhhhhh... I hate dragging these two gigantic bags)

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:15 am

Chibi - only 2 bags?!?!

For those of us who either like to walk, save gas, or won't have cars--McGeorge's Walk Score:

http://www.walkscore.com/get-score.php? ... +ca+&go=Go

83 out of 100, not bad. I like the list on the left showing local restaurants, coffee, bars, shopping, etc.

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:37 am

Yup yup, two bags plus my carry-on laptop. I mean it's really all i can bring, and shipping the other stuff is not worth the money. Cool info website, gonna check it out.
tequilasunriseplz wrote:Chibi - only 2 bags?!?!

For those of us who either like to walk, save gas, or won't have cars--McGeorge's Walk Score:

http://www.walkscore.com/get-score.php? ... +ca+&go=Go

83 out of 100, not bad. I like the list on the left showing local restaurants, coffee, bars, shopping, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

exception311

New

Post by exception311 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:30 am

For those of you thinking about getting new laptops - I would recommend against Toshiba as this previous year there were issues with the Toshibas not being able to pick up on the campus wifi... something to do with the driver used in the wireless card. I'm not exactly sure, but the people with Toshibas couldn't pick up on the wifi. Alternatively in the library at every desk there is a ethernet cable jack and you can check-out ethernet cables at the front desk, so you will be able to get online with your own computer if it is a Toshiba. But if you you want to be able to surf while in class or just in the middle of campus, having a Toshiba is not the best idea.

Also - as of now Mac users won't be able to type their exams. The school uses a program called "examsoft" to lockdown your computer for the duration of the exam period, allowing you only to type out your exam. You then have 3 hours to email it to the school. But as of now the school only supports the windows version of examsoft. I write out my exams so I don't care either way, but if you dislike writing your exams in bluebooks, you may want to reconsider switching to Apple as well.

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:56 pm

exception311 wrote:For those of you thinking about getting new laptops - I would recommend against Toshiba as this previous year there were issues with the Toshibas not being able to pick up on the campus wifi... something to do with the driver used in the wireless card. I'm not exactly sure, but the people with Toshibas couldn't pick up on the wifi. Alternatively in the library at every desk there is a ethernet cable jack and you can check-out ethernet cables at the front desk, so you will be able to get online with your own computer if it is a Toshiba. But if you you want to be able to surf while in class or just in the middle of campus, having a Toshiba is not the best idea.

Also - as of now Mac users won't be able to type their exams. The school uses a program called "examsoft" to lockdown your computer for the duration of the exam period, allowing you only to type out your exam. You then have 3 hours to email it to the school. But as of now the school only supports the windows version of examsoft. I write out my exams so I don't care either way, but if you dislike writing your exams in bluebooks, you may want to reconsider switching to Apple as well.
Great, I just got a Toshiba laptop. I suppose I'll just have to call IT tomorrow to check it out. But technically speaking, Toshiba models that come out this year should be able receive all general range of frequency for wifi.

Update: just got off the phone with the IT, they said the problem was associated with a specific chipset called "athero", which is not only in some Toshiba models but also in IBM and HP, mine comes with Intel, so it's fine... :P

USCme2

New

Post by USCme2 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:47 pm

For all you McGeorge 1L's, you are going to love it. Civ Pro was definitely the most challenging for me but I am so looking forward to being a 2L. After you get to know most professors, they are awesome. Of course, there are a limited few that I would avoid from a ten-foot pole (don't want to mention names cuz big brothers probably watching)

It has occurred to that Cali law schools like McGeorge are immensely underrated. Any opinions???

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:23 pm

I am originally from Sacramento and from what I can tell by speaking with family friends who work in the law field, McGeorge is a great choice for someone who wants to practice in or around Sacramento or in the state government. One of the determining factors for me choosing to go there was the rave reviews I got from friends and acquaintances who are still in attendance or recently graduated. It seemed like anyone I talked to who went to other law school around California (Santa Clara, USF, Davis, USD) would emphatically respond with "DON'T GO, I AM WARNING YOU, DON'T DO IT. LAW SCHOOL IS HELL!" whereas all of the McGeorge people I talked to couldn't stop telling me how great it is.

I even had a friend who dropped out because of poor academic performance tell me how much he loved the school, he just couldn't cut it. Seemed like an unlikely source of a positive review!

It seems like law school is what you make of it. I try not to be wide eyed and naive about the work it's gonna take, but from all of the practicing attorneys I know in Sacramento they always tell me the same thing. If you can graduate in the top of the class you can write your own ticket in Sacramento. I think we all can agree that McGeorge isn't UCLA or Columbia, but I do think it's underrated in terms of your prospects within Norther California. I for one hope I can stay in Sacramento. Your two hours away in either direction from the beach or the snow. Who wouldn't want that?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

stuffedburrito

New

Post by stuffedburrito » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:31 pm

Anyone still looking for a place for the upcoming academic year?

I am planning to rent out a 3 bedroom house about 10 minutes drive from campus, roughly $600 a month in a nice neighborhood, unlike Oak Park. Please let me know if you're interested!

tequilasunriseplz

New

Post by tequilasunriseplz » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:32 am

Does anyone know if we can pay for tuition with our credit card? I'm all about the points :)

stuffedburrito

New

Post by stuffedburrito » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:57 am

Has anyone chosen their lenders for loans yet? If so, which one did you choose out of the list recommended by McGeorge?

sciencebeagle

New

Post by sciencebeagle » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:40 pm

I chose Wells Fargo because I already have 2 bank accounts with them. It made the process really fast because they already has most of my information.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:59 pm

If you have/had undergrad loans you should stay with the same lender you already have/had (unless they sucked). I go through Sallie Mae. I've been evry pleased with them throughout the years.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:02 pm

I also go through sallie mae for both my undergrad and my law loans. They have been great, it takes like 5-10 minutes to apply for each loan.

SFtoSac!

New

Post by SFtoSac! » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi all! I'm so happy that I found this forum b/c I had so many unanswered questions and I found half of the answers here. Anyways, I'm in the evening division and I know some people send there is somewhat of a split, but I'd love to meet people. I'm currently living in SF but I already got a house in Sacramento and would love to meet up with people before Orientation!.

Chibi

New

Post by Chibi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:52 pm

I use Citi loan, since they give you reduction on rate when you enter re-payment period.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SFtoSac!

New

Post by SFtoSac! » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:36 pm

Can you change your mind if you don't like the lender you picked? And can you change the amount of the loan as well. (i.e. requested and approved for 25k but later decide that I only want say 15k)?

Art

New

Post by Art » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:16 pm

Access Group is a non-profit lender...it was basically started to let law students borrow on the cheap, but now lends to other graduate students. Seems like a better deal than a company trying to make some money.

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:18 pm

I have Total Higher Education. They have "temporarily" suspended borrower benefits and have not reinstated them yet. There was also a question of whether they were going to fund the loans for 2008-2009, but were able to through an act of congress. So I wouldn't really recommend THE at this time.

SFtoSac, I am pretty sure you can change lenders from one year to the next. Check your loan terms. Students who had THE, but had summer session had to switch to get their funding. You do not have to take as much money as you were approved for. You can also return money and I returned some money last year.

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:32 pm

Art wrote:Access Group is a non-profit lender...it was basically started to let law students borrow on the cheap, but now lends to other graduate students. Seems like a better deal than a company trying to make some money.
I could swear I heard on NPR a few weeks ago that accessgroup was in some trouble, but I cannot find anything referring to this.
SFtoSac! wrote:Can you change your mind if you don't like the lender you picked? And can you change the amount of the loan as well. (i.e. requested and approved for 25k but later decide that I only want say 15k)?
I can't see any reason you wouldn't be able to switch between academic years, but you might want to look deeper into this. You CAN reduce the amount of your loans at any time.
Chibi wrote:I use Citi loan, since they give you reduction on rate when you enter re-payment period.
I think most lenders will reduce your rate if you use an autopay option.
SFtoSac! wrote:Hi all! I'm so happy that I found this forum b/c I had so many unanswered questions and I found half of the answers here. Anyways, I'm in the evening division and I know some people send there is somewhat of a split, but I'd love to meet people. I'm currently living in SF but I already got a house in Sacramento and would love to meet up with people before Orientation!.
Wooo Bay Area! I'm moving from Walnut Creek to Oak Park next week! If you're not going onthe rafting trip, some people are trying to organize some social events the week leading up to the rafting trip. Here's the calendar:

Wed. the 6th = meet up for coffee somewhere near campus in the evening. Break the ice, try to remember names and faces.
Thurs. the 7th = BBQ at Anna's house at 6:30 pm (potluck)
Fri. the 8th = free concert at Cesar Chavez Plaza (10th & J street) from 5:00 PM - 9:00 PM followed by bar #1 (Fox and Goose Pub on 1001 R Street).
Sat. the 9th = group hiking during the day, bar # 2 at night
Sun. the 10th = a nice, relaxing pre-rafting trip movie (either at a theater or someone's place)
Mon. the 11th = rafting trip
Tues the 12th - Friday the 15th = orientation

I'm not sure how many people have expressed interest in these activities, but I am sure that I will at least try and get a small group together at some point before orientation for a few beverages! Anyway if you're on Facebook there's a group called "McGeorge Class of 2011" group you should join. All the info re these activities is on there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”