University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chalyse

New

Re: University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law

Post by chalyse » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:48 pm

wooohooooo!!! mcgeorge here i come :D its sure now, as long as everything else works out (job, fin aid, etc).

i'm very happy to see the candor, mature perspectives, and balanced comments from you guys. being current students, your thoughts are a great comfort to one a bit older than average - that there are indeed very solid students on campus.

i'll be living in oakley (that's right, not oakland ... oakley is about 45 miles southwest of sacramento and, yes, i'm already used to two decades of very long daily commutes). my s.o. is finalizing a house there for april 1 when i arrive. i'm still nervous about driving across the mountains (coming from chicago flatlands) but will take 10 into so cal, stop for a day or two with siblings in venice/LA, and then head up 101 to take in all of cali's beauty on my way up to the best law school in the country!

i worked at a university who's grad students put together a private dental agreement with a local office, and got it approved/paid for by the grad school (didn't cost them much and the work had been done for them). it covered $200 for two cleanings per year, 50% off diagnostics and, i think, 20% on other procedures. after 5 years the university as a whole took on the program and funded it completely. another 2 years later the university put their own national dental program in place that covered 80% across the boards. so ... maybe we'll have to see about trying for something like that - dental costs can be such a pain in the pocketbook! hope all goes well on your visit - the pain can be literal, too, i know :(

americangirl, i hope you'll be enticing your mom to come and visit; might help her change her mind ... what a beautiful campus for her to 'vacation' to and see you!

saleen - your description of the rigors of full-time work and full-time night school ring so true ... i just finished a year like that in '06. the fatigue can be daunting ... but maybe if i hold off on summers i'll have 3 months each year to rebound. would love to hear about your mock trial competition experience and will try to pm/email you if i dont see you back in a few days.

for any/all of you, here's a silly question that, still, i find lingering ... lol

what kind of backpack/roller thingy/suitcase do students use on campus? i'm hoping something on wheels wont be out-of-place, and if its not, whether i should be looking for only smaller ones, or if bigger ones are used too (for night school - i'm getting too old to lug around 60 pounds of books and papers on one shoulder :P )

Ipsa Dixit

Bronze

Post by Ipsa Dixit » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:05 am

wooohooooo!!! mcgeorge here i come :D its sure now, as long as everything else works out (job, fin aid, etc).
Congrats!!
i'll be living in oakley (that's right, not oakland ... oakley is about 45 miles southwest of sacramento and, yes, i'm already used to two decades of very long daily commutes). my s.o. is finalizing a house there for april 1 when i arrive.
I really, REALLY encourage you to move closer than that. There are a lot of pressures on your time in law school and you are looking at spending at least 6 hours a week in your car commuting. If not possible to live closer, definitely check out the supplements that are on CD (you can borrow them from the academic success center) and incorporate them into your commute.
maybe we'll have to see about trying for something like that - dental costs can be such a pain in the pocketbook! hope all goes well on your visit - the pain can be literal, too, i know :(
Got an e-mail today from student affairs saying health insurance will be mandatory for the upcoming year. The e-mail also said there will be optional dental coverage ("PPO dental plan and a discount dental program"). I am in the process of having some expensive dental work so bummer for me that this plan did not come sooner, but hopefully can benefit in the future.
what kind of backpack/roller thingy/suitcase do students use on campus? i'm hoping something on wheels wont be out-of-place, and if its not, whether i should be looking for only smaller ones, or if bigger ones are used too (for night school - i'm getting too old to lug around 60 pounds of books and papers on one shoulder :P )
People use whatever works for them. Very few people use rolling bags probably because there are a lot of stairs on campus and because people just keep the books they don't need in their cars or in a locker. If you only have one class a night, there's no reason why you would be carrying all your books with you at any particular time anyway. You'd probably be fine with just a basic backpack or messenger bag for your books and papers. Get a really basic, no frills (read: lightweight) laptop bag (Westlaw gave them away for free, I use mine every day) if you will be bringing a computer to class.

Anyway, congrats again! I like the school a lot... though I am looking forward to spring break and getting the hell out of here for a bit!

chalyse

New

Post by chalyse » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:38 am

thanks ipsa! :D i am so very happy its worked out for mcgeorge! i'd live closer but s.o. works in the bay and already finalized a very affordable place ... so i'm really glad to hear about supplements on cd with the academic success center. i think the center is the first place i'll visit after arriving next month - i'm hoping to become a regular customer there. glad to hear about the dental program and rats that it didn't get started earlier. very helpful to know tho - now i can start working on the possibility of working a 30-hour week to balance out some of that commute time. great point about books-n-bags ... i'll go with the basic computer bag i've used before ...but would love to know how/when/where to score a westlaw bag. i'll likely bring my acer notebook to class if most lecture rooms are wired (are they, in general?). i hadn't counted on smart classrooms, but that would be soooooooo nice.

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:43 am

definitely smart classrooms. Wireless with plugs for electricity. Same thing in the library..... where I am now at 10:45pm. Pretty much everyone will be using a computer in class and on tests.

I would recommend possibly a nice swiss army backpack. They have a protective slot for laptops and can hold all the books I need. Even ALL the books if I am planning a weekend trip to the library.

chalyse

New

Post by chalyse » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:08 am

wow saleen thanks :D i'm going to try to switch over to a wireless account this summer, and had been circling those swiss army bags every time i went window shopping over the last two months! i'll hope to be burning the late-night oil in the library next year, too (more likely on weekends) ... i do love library work ... but i know how hard it is to push the clock when you've already spent countless hours and need to stretch 24 hours into 28 (but, instead, its 4 am the next day as usual!)

note to self: stockpile during the summer and again at winter break - it got me through '06 ... having most of my non-perishable food/bev/supplies/etc all bought and stored to eliminate the need for shopping. every little bit of time saving helped...i'll have to conjure up some more strategies to add in for 1st year...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JohnDoe35

New

Post by JohnDoe35 » Wed May 07, 2008 4:53 am

Could anyone give me some info on laptops at McGeorge? The info in my acceptance package says that only PCs can be used to take tests and are recommended. Is this actually the case? I have a mac and don't really want to go back to using windows...
Thanks for any help

saleen

New

Post by saleen » Wed May 07, 2008 1:00 pm

Well that is really going to be true at any law school. Examsoft, the program used to take tests on computers, currently only works on PC. However, if you have a newer mac with the ability to that has that boot thing (forgetting the name right now) you can boot it up in windows just for purposes of taking the test and use the mac OS the rest of the time.

Perhaps check with examsoft to see if they plan on coming out with a mac OS edition anytime soon.

s0uthstar85

New

Post by s0uthstar85 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:38 pm

The program is called Boot Camp and is included with any Macbook that comes with Leopard. You will have to buy a separate Vista license to install windows in your mac, though

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Thu May 08, 2008 5:11 pm

Got accepted to McGeorge, went to legal scholars day, was given a respectable amount of scholarship $$$, and viewing my options at east coast schools (after being dropped from the waiting lists of Northeastern and U Richmond)it is fast becoming my first choice. (particularly with their strong IntLaw opportunities)I've heard that it is possible to negotiate my scholarship amount, anyone have any advice in how to do so effectively? Also anyone else planning on enrolling next fall? Make yourself known, a bar rendezvous might be in order before classes start.

I am also a MacLeaning individual and am weary of entering the square world of the P.C. , has anyone been successful at McGeorge using this Bootcamp prog?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JohnDoe35

New

Post by JohnDoe35 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:32 pm

travvo wrote:Also anyone else planning on enrolling next fall? Make yourself known, a bar rendezvous might be in order before classes start.
I just recently sent in my deposit.

A bar rendezvous is always a good idea.

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Fri May 09, 2008 3:57 am

I agree - a pre-classes get together sounds like a great idea!

kimbowmanjr

New

Post by kimbowmanjr » Fri May 09, 2008 10:50 pm

Hello all,

I've been reading threads on TLS for about 6 months and decided it's finally time to post now that I know I'll be attending McGeorge in the fall. I'm planning on living in Midtown, and I can't wait to get to know my future classmates!

~Kim

p.s. the first round of drinks at the bar meet-up are on me
Last edited by kimbowmanjr on Sat May 10, 2008 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kimbowmanjr

New

Post by kimbowmanjr » Fri May 09, 2008 10:55 pm

travvo wrote:Got accepted to McGeorge, went to legal scholars day, was given a respectable amount of scholarship $$$, and viewing my options at east coast schools (after being dropped from the waiting lists of Northeastern and U Richmond)it is fast becoming my first choice. (particularly with their strong IntLaw opportunities)I've heard that it is possible to negotiate my scholarship amount, anyone have any advice in how to do so effectively? Also anyone else planning on enrolling next fall? Make yourself known, a bar rendezvous might be in order before classes start.

I am also a MacLeaning individual and am weary of entering the square world of the P.C. , has anyone been successful at McGeorge using this Bootcamp prog?
I'm a diehard Mac guy, and I talked to several UOP tech people and an administrator about this very issue. The short answer is you cannot use a Mac, even if you dual boot xp/vista, because the Cal Bar exam doesn't allow it (McGeorge wants to stay in line with the BAR as far as exams go). Here's the good news: you can still use your Mac for all of your class notes, outlining, etc. and just borrow a laptop from the school during finals week.

Hope that helps.

~Kim

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Sat May 10, 2008 7:53 pm

OK so I guess it's time to hop on the McGeorge train and say hello to my future classmates! 8)

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Mon May 12, 2008 9:29 am

Hello!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 11:46 am

This thread is DEAD we need to bring it back to life!

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Mon May 12, 2008 11:57 am

kimbowmanjr wrote:Hello all,

I've been reading threads on TLS for about 6 months and decided it's finally time to post now that I know I'll be attending McGeorge in the fall. I'm planning on living in Midtown, and I can't wait to get to know my future classmates!

~Kim

The second round is on me! Since I am already in Sac, I can be the defacto party planner chair (anyone can join the committee though). Let's keep this thread going!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Mon May 12, 2008 11:58 am

antsinmypants wrote:OK so I guess it's time to hop on the McGeorge train and say hello to my future classmates! 8)
Choo Choo!!! Glad you finally made a decision!

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 12:03 pm

kimbowmanjr wrote:Hello all,

~Kim

Yeah there is an absurd number of TLS people going to McGeorge. We really should do our own social excursion on top of the rafting thing. Are they still doing that this year?

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Mon May 12, 2008 12:14 pm

I hear that... I am planning on driving out from NY in the beginning of august.... I believe info on the rafting trip will come with the orientation material.... I did a program like this in the rockies for my undergrad and I remain best friends with the kids that were in my program before starting there. I'm definitely down for both the raft trip and another excursion afterwards. Also, anybody ski or do outdoorsy stuff? I'm hoping i will have compatriots for such excursions on the few days that it will be possible to get out and release some stress.

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 12:20 pm

travvo wrote:I hear that... I am planning on driving out from NY in the beginning of august.... I believe info on the rafting trip will come with the orientation material.... I did a program like this in the rockies for my undergrad and I remain best friends with the kids that were in my program before starting there. I'm definitely down for both the raft trip and another excursion afterwards. Also, anybody ski or do outdoorsy stuff? I'm hoping i will have compatriots for such excursions on the few days that it will be possible to get out and release some stress.
Where in NY are you coming from? I grew up in WNY...

I'm not much of a skier/snowboarder (had enough snow in my day... see above), but I am all about renting a house in Tahoe and dousing myself in copious amounts of grain alcohol a couple times a winter.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Katdaddy

New

Post by Katdaddy » Mon May 12, 2008 12:27 pm

antsinmypants wrote:
but I am all about renting a house in Tahoe and dousing myself in copious amounts of grain alcohol a couple times a winter.
:cry: (these are tears of joy!)

antsinmypants

New

Post by antsinmypants » Mon May 12, 2008 12:37 pm

Katdaddy wrote:
antsinmypants wrote:
but I am all about renting a house in Tahoe and dousing myself in copious amounts of grain alcohol a couple times a winter.
:cry: (these are tears of joy!)
My liver is fully trained for a career in law.

travvo

New

Post by travvo » Mon May 12, 2008 12:44 pm

Grew up in Saratoga Springs, about 3 hours north of NYC... Working right now (sitting in my cubicle to be exact) in a big Corporate Law Firm in NYC and cannot wait to free myself from here. Will be driving out from Saratoga, leaving the east coast behind....

I just got goosebumps from the grain alchohol comment... My liver is well prepared for battle as well.. work hard play hard baby.

americangirlinparis

New

Post by americangirlinparis » Mon May 12, 2008 12:59 pm

:lol:

Here's to the McGeorge party train!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”