NYU Professor is HILARIOUS

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
BearDownChicago

NYU Professor is HILARIOUS

Postby BearDownChicago » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:14 pm

http://deadspin.com/5477230/nyu-busines ... il-flaming

If the law professors are anything like this, I might retake and try to go to NYU. Seriously.

insidethetwenty

Re: NYU Professor is HILARIOUS

Postby insidethetwenty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:06 am

He's HILARIOUS and absolutely RIGHT. I mean, he seriously could've hammered the kid for being a dick and left it that. Instead, he gave the kid some valuable advice. "Get your shit together" is really pretty simple...

Kids these days seriously have this weird sense of entitlement. I'm not sure where the hell it came from, but for a student to think that he can walk into a lecture, leave, walk into another 20 minutes late, then leave again, then walk into another an hour late, and then to have the audacity to believe that he DESERVES that "right" is beyond me.

/elderlymanrant

badfish

Postby badfish » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:19 am

The law professors are pretty witty, but I can't see any of them taking enough time out of their day to write that kind of email. Business school professors on a whole are responsible for less scholarship. Still, good stuff. I might have to seek this guy out to give him props.

Unemployed

Postby Unemployed » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:30 am

The student is probably from a UG with a "shopping period." At some schools, it is not preposterous for students to walk in 1 hr late, at least during the first week of the semester.

The professor is right though - the student should have done the minimal research. There is plenty of information out there, including the professor's reputation as a know-it-all a**hole.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:42 am

I have to go with the student here. The professor is the one who comes off as arrogant and disrespectful. Context is key: If the student did this some time mid-semester, sure, it would be a (small) problem. But, at the beginning of the semester, it's totally reasonable. And entering a lecture (not a small class, a lecture) even an hour late is hardly disruptive in the slightest unless the professor chooses to make it such, which clearly this professor did. Frankly, there's no evidence that the student doesn't "have his shit together". Exploring classes is clear evidence of planning and a true desire to make the best of business school. In fact, he comes across as a lot more put-together than the professor, who flies into a rage over something that should have been no issue at all.

Whatever. Makes me glad I'm not in business school under this douche with temper issues.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:56 am

No BenJ, you sound like a kid who is still in UG who has never worked a real job in his life. In business school you dont "shop" classes, walk around and think the professor or lecturer owes you anything. You act like you would in business. You do research, make an informed decision before the deadline, i.e. beginning of classes. One day you will understand what it takes to be productive outside the cushy world of academics and see why policies like that are valuable.

You are judging their actions from the point of view of their effect on the learning environment. It isn't about that, it is about professors teaching people good habits, which they have the right to do.
Last edited by Flanker1067 on Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:00 am

BenJ wrote:I have to go with the student here. The professor is the one who comes off as arrogant and disrespectful. Context is key: If the student did this some time mid-semester, sure, it would be a (small) problem. But, at the beginning of the semester, it's totally reasonable. And entering a lecture (not a small class, a lecture) even an hour late is hardly disruptive in the slightest unless the professor chooses to make it such, which clearly this professor did. Frankly, there's no evidence that the student doesn't "have his shit together". Exploring classes is clear evidence of planning and a true desire to make the best of business school. In fact, he comes across as a lot more put-together than the professor, who flies into a rage over something that should have been no issue at all.

Whatever. Makes me glad I'm not in business school under this douche with temper issues.

The problem isn't really that the kid came late to the class. I could see myself doing something like that, especially since my UG & grad school professors were all pretty informal. Even so, I didn't like coming late/leaving early because I knew it was disruptive and tried to avoid doing so. But if I were asked by a professor to leave, I'd understand that the professor has a perfectly good right to say that. The real problem with this kid is that he had the audacity to write that absurd email. Definitely entitlement issues.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:30 am

Aeroplane wrote:
BenJ wrote:I have to go with the student here. The professor is the one who comes off as arrogant and disrespectful. Context is key: If the student did this some time mid-semester, sure, it would be a (small) problem. But, at the beginning of the semester, it's totally reasonable. And entering a lecture (not a small class, a lecture) even an hour late is hardly disruptive in the slightest unless the professor chooses to make it such, which clearly this professor did. Frankly, there's no evidence that the student doesn't "have his shit together". Exploring classes is clear evidence of planning and a true desire to make the best of business school. In fact, he comes across as a lot more put-together than the professor, who flies into a rage over something that should have been no issue at all.

The problem isn't really that the kid came late to the class. I could see myself doing something like that, especially since my UG & grad school professors were all pretty informal. Even so, I didn't like coming late/leaving early because I knew it was disruptive and tried to avoid doing so. But if I were asked by a professor to leave, I'd understand that the professor has a perfectly good right to say that. The real problem with this kid is that he had the audacity to write that absurd email. Definitely entitlement issues.

The email doesn't even come across as particularly smarmy. I thought it was reasonable to bring it to the professor's attention. It's not like he was whining about it, just suggesting that the professor suck it up and be professional (in nicer words). He wasn't asking for an apology or demanding that the professor change his policy.

agentzer0

Postby agentzer0 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:34 am

Flanker1067 wrote:No BenJ, you sound like a kid who is still in UG who has never worked a real job in his life. In business school you dont "shop" classes, walk around and think the professor or lecturer owes you anything. You act like you would in business. You do research, make an informed decision before the deadline, i.e. beginning of classes. One day you will understand what it takes to be productive outside the cushy world of academics and see why policies like that are valuable.

You are judging their actions from the point of view of their effect on the learning environment. It isn't about that, it is about professors teaching people good habits, which they have the right to do.

when you're paying $60,000 a year in tuition for your MBA I think you get some rights too.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:42 am

agentzer0 wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:No BenJ, you sound like a kid who is still in UG who has never worked a real job in his life. In business school you dont "shop" classes, walk around and think the professor or lecturer owes you anything. You act like you would in business. You do research, make an informed decision before the deadline, i.e. beginning of classes. One day you will understand what it takes to be productive outside the cushy world of academics and see why policies like that are valuable.

when you're paying $60,000 a year in tuition for your MBA I think you get some rights too.

Oh no doubt you have rights. I mean, the consequence of his actions was nothing more then a smart ass email. So he has the right to feel no real repurcussions. Just as the professor has the right throw someone out and write that email. I mean, it's not a big deal, I am just saying it was appropriate.

Aeroplane

Postby Aeroplane » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:43 am

BenJ wrote:The email doesn't even come across as particularly smarmy. I thought it was reasonable to bring it to the professor's attention. It's not like he was whining about it, just suggesting that the professor suck it up and be professional (in nicer words). He wasn't asking for an apology or demanding that the professor change his policy.
The professor was perfectly professional to dismiss him. Although on the stricter side of professor behavior, that is entirely within his discretion and there's nothing objectionable about it unless he cursed at him or did something else inappropriate. I did see the email as whiny ("bothered" "disappointed"). He was basically saying that the professor's policy should be changed or at least adjusted for the first week of class or for people who came in very late (as opposed to just a little late), I couldn't really make out which. As a whole, the email seemed to imply that professors were auditioning for the honor of having him be in their class (since the course topics & contents should've been evident from the catalog).

To the extent there are differences of opinion in this email, I'd guess those of us with at least a few years of work experience are far less likely to side with the student.

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:35 am

Flanker1067 wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

Oh no doubt you have rights. I mean, the consequence of his actions was nothing more then a smart ass email. So he has the right to feel no real repurcussions. Just as the professor has the right throw someone out and write that email. I mean, it's not a big deal, I am just saying it was appropriate.

It completely was not appropriate. Professors do not have substantial rights when it comes to the classroom. They are the ones being paid to attend; students are the ones paying. The basic tenets of business--which an MBA purports to teach--indicate that it is the client who has all the rights. In other words, it is the student who has all of the rights in the classroom, and the professor who must abide by those rights, not the reverse. Obviously, this is mitigated by the existence of an intermediary institution, the business school.

You are the one who is analyzing this situation is the context of academics. In the real world, the professor, who is providing the service for a fee, has no rights whatsoever except the right to refuse to sell his services (i.e., be fired).

That sounds really terrible, but it's true. Either you interpret the situation in an academic sense, in which case the professor was wrong for the reasons I laid out in my first post, or you interpret it in a professional business sense, in which case the professor was still wrong but for different reasons. Personally, I think the academic interpretation is far more correct, business school being an academic setting, but you could choose the alternative interpretation of student as client.

Flanker1067

Postby Flanker1067 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:43 am

BenJ wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:
agentzer0 wrote:

It completely was not appropriate. Professors do not have substantial rights when it comes to the classroom. They are the ones being paid to attend; students are the ones paying. The basic tenets of business--which an MBA purports to teach--indicate that it is the client who has all the rights. In other words, it is the student who has all of the rights in the classroom, and the professor who must abide by those rights, not the reverse. Obviously, this is mitigated by the existence of an intermediary institution, the business school.

You are the one who is analyzing this situation is the context of academics. In the real world, the professor, who is providing the service for a fee, has no rights whatsoever except the right to refuse to sell his services (i.e., be fired).

That sounds really terrible, but it's true. Either you interpret the situation in an academic sense, in which case the professor was wrong for the reasons I laid out in my first post, or you interpret it in a professional business sense, in which case the professor was still wrong but for different reasons. Personally, I think the academic interpretation is far more correct, business school being an academic setting, but you could choose the alternative interpretation of student as client.

HAHA it's ok man, you showed here why it isn't worth arguing with you. The relationships as you defined them don't exist in real life. No one ever has "no" rights or "all" the rights. We could get into it, but I would rather call it a day. These are things you learn over time.

insidethetwenty

Postby insidethetwenty » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

BenJ wrote:It completely was not appropriate. Professors do not have substantial rights when it comes to the classroom. They are the ones being paid to attend; students are the ones paying. The basic tenets of business--which an MBA purports to teach--indicate that it is the client who has all the rights. In other words, it is the student who has all of the rights in the classroom, and the professor who must abide by those rights, not the reverse. Obviously, this is mitigated by the existence of an intermediary institution, the business school.

Lol wut?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”