Any Iowa students on?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
chrisbru

Re: Any Iowa students on?

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:04 pm

MoS wrote:Total. My roommate and I pay $715 total, well we pay electric too (~$20 a month). Its not the cheapest place I have lived, but its certainly not expensive.

Either of you care to share your complex's name or how you found your place?

MoS

Postby MoS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:08 pm

Seville. I found it basically on here. If you can make to Iowa City there are some better deals. There is a complex right across the street on Benton (well its across the street from carriage hill) that has a slightly lower rate for two bedrooms and has two bathrooms, or so I hear.

Seville is mostly law and med students so its rather quiet. It's pretty close, too. I walk to school almost every day. When its really cold, like negative temps, I take the bus. It stops right in front of Seville and there is a law school stop on the route.

The other person lives in Black and Gold Apts (I am pretty sure) its on Michael street, a bit off Benton, I think it is actually closer to the law school because of a path around the back of the apartments.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:07 pm

MoS wrote:Seville. I found it basically on here. If you can make to Iowa City there are some better deals. There is a complex right across the street on Benton (well its across the street from carriage hill) that has a slightly lower rate for two bedrooms and has two bathrooms, or so I hear.

Seville is mostly law and med students so its rather quiet. It's pretty close, too. I walk to school almost every day. When its really cold, like negative temps, I take the bus. It stops right in front of Seville and there is a law school stop on the route.

The other person lives in Black and Gold Apts (I am pretty sure) its on Michael street, a bit off Benton, I think it is actually closer to the law school because of a path around the back of the apartments.

Do you know of any pet-friendly places in the area? None of those seem to be, and I have a dog that has to come with. He's only 10 pounds, and well-trained, but landlords don't seem to care.

MoS

Postby MoS » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 pm

Off the top of my head I can't think of one. Though, I am pretty sure there is a place that is a bit out of the way that allows animals. Have you tried ApartmentFinder.com? It might have a way to limit your search to pet friendly places.

Just as a note to anyone looking for apartments, I have consistently heard awful things about The Lodge.

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:54 am

MoS wrote:Off the top of my head I can't think of one. Though, I am pretty sure there is a place that is a bit out of the way that allows animals. Have you tried ApartmentFinder.com? It might have a way to limit your search to pet friendly places.

Just as a note to anyone looking for apartments, I have consistently heard awful things about The Lodge.

Stay away from the lodge!!! I crashed with my sister there for a couple of months before heading abroad and its undergrad central.

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:26 am

I've been accepted to Iowa and am strongly considering going. But looking through apartment listings, I'm not seeing terribly many pet friendly places. I have a dog and a cat (both quiet and well trained). Any ideas on places to start looking?

Also, I remember on one of the boards someone mentioned a renter to stay away from, but I can't remember what the name was or where I saw it. Any help is appreciated.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:48 pm

goodgrief wrote:I've been accepted to Iowa and am strongly considering going. But looking through apartment listings, I'm not seeing terribly many pet friendly places. I have a dog and a cat (both quiet and well trained). Any ideas on places to start looking?

Also, I remember on one of the boards someone mentioned a renter to stay away from, but I can't remember what the name was or where I saw it. Any help is appreciated.

People said to stay away from Apartments Near Campus, or a company named something similar to that.

I, too, have a dog... And have been having a hard time. This is the BEST resource I've found so far. It lets you pick preferences like max rent, bedrooms, dog-friendly, etc, and shows you a map where each matching listing is. It works for ALL the US, too... Pretty cool.

http://www.padmapper.com/

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:01 pm

chrisbru wrote:
goodgrief wrote:I've been accepted to Iowa and am strongly considering going. But looking through apartment listings, I'm not seeing terribly many pet friendly places. I have a dog and a cat (both quiet and well trained). Any ideas on places to start looking?

People said to stay away from Apartments Near Campus, or a company named something similar to that.

I, too, have a dog... And have been having a hard time. This is the BEST resource I've found so far. It lets you pick preferences like max rent, bedrooms, dog-friendly, etc, and shows you a map where each matching listing is. It works for ALL the US, too... Pretty cool.

http://www.padmapper.com/

Thanks! Hope to see people at ASW in March!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:08 pm

goodgrief wrote:

Thanks! Hope to see people at ASW in March!

For sure!

If you haven't yet, join the FB group... I created an event for a Thursday night meet-n-greet at The Airliner, and I'll invite you as soon as you join the group!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 87342&ap=1

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Sat May 21, 2011 9:14 pm

Word of advice..

All the property management companies here suck....they are horribly rude and good luck seeing your deposit back and getting timely repairs. They are ALL like that here, so it's just good to know that up front. But some of the worst are APartment downtown (or any other affiliate name...they currently have a class action suit pending against then), River City is bad, Heritage is bad, Chambers is bad.... I've heard pretty OK reviews from Southgate and Houser I heard is fantastic.

Stay away from the east side. Westside is best, or if you like undergrads and party-central then Downtown would be best. Coraville (about 3-5 miles from the law school) is a nice alternative to the westside and usually costs less.

If you are moving a family, I suggest the westside of IC, Northern Coralville, and North Liberty. You can find great townhomes in the $1000-1300 range (3+ bedrooms).

Also beware that utility deposits can be ridiculous, and most utility companies require them up front or within 2 weeks. I don't know where everyone is coming from, but that was a big shock to me when Coralville said I had to pay a $160 water deposit within 1-2 days of moving in (standard deposit for the townhome I rented...no credit checks).

I hope this is helpful to someone....

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun May 22, 2011 2:10 pm

krj02004 wrote:Word of advice..

All the property management companies here suck....they are horribly rude and good luck seeing your deposit back and getting timely repairs. They are ALL like that here, so it's just good to know that up front. But some of the worst are APartment downtown (or any other affiliate name...they currently have a class action suit pending against then), River City is bad, Heritage is bad, Chambers is bad.... I've heard pretty OK reviews from Southgate and Houser I heard is fantastic.

Stay away from the east side. Westside is best, or if you like undergrads and party-central then Downtown would be best. Coraville (about 3-5 miles from the law school) is a nice alternative to the westside and usually costs less.

If you are moving a family, I suggest the westside of IC, Northern Coralville, and North Liberty. You can find great townhomes in the $1000-1300 range (3+ bedrooms).

Also beware that utility deposits can be ridiculous, and most utility companies require them up front or within 2 weeks. I don't know where everyone is coming from, but that was a big shock to me when Coralville said I had to pay a $160 water deposit within 1-2 days of moving in (standard deposit for the townhome I rented...no credit checks).

Thanks for the info. Definitely surprising about the utilities deposits. Had you ever had utilities in your name before? I've had 4 years worth of experience paying utilities, and I'll probably put up a fight if they ask for a deposit.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:27 pm

"Put up a fight" is my middle name....and it didn't get me anywhere unfortunately. I even took it all the way up to the city attorney. The law says that a municipal water provider cannot charge more than 90 days as deposit...but yet they made me pay a "set" $160 water deposit when the average monthly water usage for my 3 bedroom townhome was only $30.

In other words...they know what they're doing is illegal, but yet they can do it because they literally don't have anyone telling them that they can't/ So, you'll have no choice. Also, the electric and gas companies will make you pay a deposit = to the highest month charged on your rental within the last 12 months. That isn't so bad and is at least reasonable. The only way you can get out of paying a deposit is if you are a prior customer AND you've paid every single utility company on-time (to the day) for the past 12 months. I've also had 5 years of utility paying experience in my name and good credit history (though with the water, credit history doens't matter).

Even then, good luck getting out of paying if you are a new customer. Utility companies in Iowa suck, period.

chrisbru wrote:
krj02004 wrote:Word of advice..

Thanks for the info. Definitely surprising about the utilities deposits. Had you ever had utilities in your name before? I've had 4 years worth of experience paying utilities, and I'll probably put up a fight if they ask for a deposit.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Mon May 23, 2011 3:11 pm

krj02004 wrote:"Put up a fight" is my middle name....and it didn't get me anywhere unfortunately. I even took it all the way up to the city attorney. The law says that a municipal water provider cannot charge more than 90 days as deposit...but yet they made me pay a "set" $160 water deposit when the average monthly water usage for my 3 bedroom townhome was only $30.

In other words...they know what they're doing is illegal, but yet they can do it because they literally don't have anyone telling them that they can't/ So, you'll have no choice. Also, the electric and gas companies will make you pay a deposit = to the highest month charged on your rental within the last 12 months. That isn't so bad and is at least reasonable. The only way you can get out of paying a deposit is if you are a prior customer AND you've paid every single utility company on-time (to the day) for the past 12 months. I've also had 5 years of utility paying experience in my name and good credit history (though with the water, credit history doens't matter).

Even then, good luck getting out of paying if you are a new customer. Utility companies in Iowa suck, period.

Hm... I wonder if this is mostly for rentals? I bought a house, so maybe it will be different.

krj02004

Postby krj02004 » Wed May 25, 2011 5:15 pm

Yes, if you are a home owner, then you usually will not have to pay a deposit. For example, in iowa city you won't have to pay a water deposit. If you bought a house in Coralville, then you are still required to pay a deposit, even as a homeowner. Good luck!

chrisbru wrote:
krj02004 wrote:"Put up a fight" is my middle name....and it didn't get me anywhere unfortunately. I even took it all the way up to the city attorney. The law says that a municipal water provider cannot charge more than 90 days as deposit...but yet they made me pay a "set" $160 water deposit when the average monthly water usage for my 3 bedroom townhome was only $30.

Hm... I wonder if this is mostly for rentals? I bought a house, so maybe it will be different.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed May 25, 2011 6:46 pm

krj02004 wrote:Yes, if you are a home owner, then you usually will not have to pay a deposit. For example, in iowa city you won't have to pay a water deposit. If you bought a house in Coralville, then you are still required to pay a deposit, even as a homeowner. Good luck!

I did. dumb.

bbermud

Postby bbermud » Wed May 25, 2011 8:24 pm

chrisbru wrote:
krj02004 wrote:Yes, if you are a home owner, then you usually will not have to pay a deposit. For example, in iowa city you won't have to pay a water deposit. If you bought a house in Coralville, then you are still required to pay a deposit, even as a homeowner. Good luck!

I did. dumb.

remember when i said you could be in my study group before? you're no longer invited...

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 26, 2011 10:53 am

bbermud wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I did. dumb.

remember when i said you could be in my study group before? you're no longer invited...

Ouch! Just because I'll be a Coralvillite (Coralvillian?) I'm going to get shunned...

goodgrief

Postby goodgrief » Thu May 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Why hate on Coralville? Y'all are just jealous that we'll have super easy access to Steak N Shake, Culvers, and best of all CHIK-FIL-A (except on Sundays).

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu May 26, 2011 5:26 pm

goodgrief wrote:Why hate on Coralville? Y'all are just jealous that we'll have super easy access to Steak N Shake, Culvers, and best of all CHIK-FIL-A (except on Sundays).

:D

iowalum

Postby iowalum » Thu May 26, 2011 5:31 pm

Iowa!!!! I miss IC - but had to get out after so many years.

The one (and ONLY) decent property management people are Heritage - I rented from them 2 years and they were always good to me - even came out on Christmas Eve to fix my heat. So, I would recommend them.

Kaves

Postby Kaves » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:09 pm

Has anyone in the thread had Mark Sidel for Torts? He has moved to WI to teach and already said he will not be making any exams and such available. Just wondering if anyone has had him and would be willing to share outlines/suggestions.

Thanks

llachans

Postby llachans » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:19 pm

I have a 160/3.5. I did my undergrad at Iowa but am an Illinois resident. Iowa is my top choice and my PS' conclusion highlights the reasons why (mostly referring back to my undergraduate career). I know my LSAT may be a little on the low-side by Iowa's guidelines.

Is it realistic to think that I have a chance here or should I file it as a "reach" to not get my hopes up? I'd be pretty gutted to be rejected and would like to prepare myself for that if it's a likely scenario.

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:20 am

You have a shot. Iowa cut it's class size last year, I'm not sure what effect that had with people with your numbers. The year before, you would have had a good shot.

llachans

Postby llachans » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:37 am

MoS wrote:You have a shot. Iowa cut it's class size last year, I'm not sure what effect that had with people with your numbers. The year before, you would have had a good shot.

Other threads were saying absolutely not so this gives me some hope (I didn't think my numbers were THAT bad considering my gpa is alright). Thank you!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:05 am

llachans wrote:I have a 160/3.5. I did my undergrad at Iowa but am an Illinois resident. Iowa is my top choice and my PS' conclusion highlights the reasons why (mostly referring back to my undergraduate career). I know my LSAT may be a little on the low-side by Iowa's guidelines.

Is it realistic to think that I have a chance here or should I file it as a "reach" to not get my hopes up? I'd be pretty gutted to be rejected and would like to prepare myself for that if it's a likely scenario.

Well, you're under both medians, but not by a lot. It will be tough to get in, but you have a decent chance.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”