Is South Texas a worthwhile investment?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
citrus2010

Is South Texas a worthwhile investment?

Postby citrus2010 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:00 am

I got accepted to a couple 3T and even Gonzaga (low T2), but I'm considering South Texas. Median Salary is actually higher than Gonzaga and I have family from Houston. I'd be happy practicing there. What do you think?

darknightbegins

Re: Is South Texas a worthwhile investment?

Postby darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:45 am

What is the sticker? Are you paying full sticker? What type of law are you looking at? U of Houston is a good school and will dominate that area, along with UT-Austin grads and to a lesser extent SMU and Baylor people.

There is another thread floating around here were some of us discussed the benefits/drawbacks to TTT schools. The Texas legal market appears to not be hit as bad as others however that state has plenty of good schools with UT, SMU, Baylor and UofH being the big 4 and Texas Tech being a decent TTT school. If you can get a full ride or almost full ride at a TTT school and come out with no debt or very VERY little debt, than a TTT school can be the way to go. Otherwise I would have to advise against it. Texas is a large enough market but it also has some good schools and you will be looking at the scraps those schools leave behind.

What other TTT schools did you get into and what is their price? Also Gonzaga is an OK school and I would think you would do alright in Washington with that. However the sticker there is a bit much, over 30K, for a school of its ranking. Unless I got some scholly money for that school you could count me out.

So overall when discussing these types of schools cost should be either your top or near top consideration. Also where do you want to live? If you favor Texas then I wouldn't consider Gonzaga unless you have some nice connections in Texas. That being said, I wouldn't consider a TTT school in Texas unless I was getting almost a full ride to go there. Now this isn't the case for other states where the TTT school (see West Virginia, Hawaii, Arkansas) is pretty much the only game in town. However Texas has good schools and I wouldn't advise you going to a TTT school in Texas at sticker price.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:50 am

darknightbegins wrote:What is the sticker? Are you paying full sticker? What type of law are you looking at? U of Houston is a good school and will dominate that area, along with UT-Austin grads and to a lesser extent SMU and Baylor people.

There is another thread floating around here were some of us discussed the benefits/drawbacks to TTT schools. The Texas legal market appears to not be hit as bad as others however that state has plenty of good schools with UT, SMU, Baylor and UofH being the big 4 and Texas Tech being a decent TTT school. If you can get a full ride or almost full ride at a TTT school and come out with no debt or very VERY little debt, than a TTT school can be the way to go. Otherwise I would have to advise against it. Texas is a large enough market but it also has some good schools and you will be looking at the scraps those schools leave behind.

What other TTT schools did you get into and what is their price? Also Gonzaga is an OK school and I would think you would do alright in Washington with that. However the sticker there is a bit much, over 30K, for a school of its ranking. Unless I got some scholly money for that school you could count me out.

So overall when discussing these types of schools cost should be either your top or near top consideration. Also where do you want to live? If you favor Texas then I wouldn't consider Gonzaga unless you have some nice connections in Texas. That being said, I wouldn't consider a TTT school in Texas unless I was getting almost a full ride to go there. Now this isn't the case for other states where the TTT school (see West Virginia, Hawaii, Arkansas) is pretty much the only game in town. However Texas has good schools and I wouldn't advise you going to a TTT school in Texas at sticker price.

+1

short run down, if you

1) want to live/practice in TX
2) got a full ride/near full ride to South Texas

then i would definitely say it is a reasonable choice

Stringer Bell

Postby Stringer Bell » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:07 am

South Texas is semi-respectable, all things considered, but ITE very few schools would be considered a "worthwhile" investment and South Texas is definitely not on that list.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”