University of Kentucky 1L taking questions.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ukerock2005

Re: University of Kentucky 1L taking questions.

Postby ukerock2005 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:41 am

Not gonna lie, that last sentence made my night. haha.

How bad was last year's drop?[/quot

The price is nice. Waiting for an hour in line then a few more hours in memorial and not getting any tickets sucks. With the improvment of the team it has become really hard to get a student ticket.

I can't remember or find how bad the drop was. The thing is UK normally is easily above the other schools in state so it was kind of shocker to everyone. I'm sure the 3L's this year will bring the scores back up.

bruffin

Postby bruffin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:15 am

One more quick question for you...

I received a letter in the mail today from career services highlighting the employment numbers from the class of 2008. At the bottom of the letter they stated that "the class of 2009 numbers are available upon request." Have you had a chance to see these numbers? If so, how do they look?

Thanks again for your help!

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:42 am

bruffin wrote:One more quick question for you...

I received a letter in the mail today from career services highlighting the employment numbers from the class of 2008. At the bottom of the letter they stated that "the class of 2009 numbers are available upon request." Have you had a chance to see these numbers? If so, how do they look?

Thanks again for your help!

No I haven't but I would be very interested to see them. I would like to see just how much the econonmy has effected our numbers. Though they will probably only depress me. The legal job market is rough right now. Just have to hope it is better by the time we all are done.

oneforship

Postby oneforship » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:45 am

What are the Big Law opportunities like in Lexington?

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:56 pm

oneforship wrote:What are the Big Law opportunities like in Lexington?

It is very competitive to get those positions. I have a friend who is top 5 percent and is still not sure he will find a big law job this summer. You really will need top 15 percent to be up for those type jobs.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:28 pm

Any idea how competitive the spots are for 3L externships?

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Any idea how competitive the spots are for 3L externships?

I'm not really sure about that. I'm sure I will look into that stuff more next year. They give you enough side stuff in your 1L year to keep you focused on the present and near future.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Really enjoyed my visit today. Yeah, the building is old, but at least there's plenty of windows and open space. Sat in on a Civ Pro II class and then a Remedies class--I hope if I end up at UK that I have that prof. Can't think of his name at the moment, but he was hilarious.

Also, Rupp :shock: Wow. Can't believe I'd never been before.

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:01 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Really enjoyed my visit today. Yeah, the building is old, but at least there's plenty of windows and open space. Sat in on a Civ Pro II class and then a Remedies class--I hope if I end up at UK that I have that prof. Can't think of his name at the moment, but he was hilarious.

I am glad you enjoyed the visit. I don't have any classes today so I am enjoying being at home. Some of the profs. can be very funny. I can't imagine sitting in on a Civ pro class as a undergrad. Some of that stuff is over our heads and we have been doing it all year long. Rupp arena is amazing. I had been a few times as a kid and have enjoyed going to it numerous times in undergrad and now in law school.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:13 pm

ukerock2005 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:Really enjoyed my visit today. Yeah, the building is old, but at least there's plenty of windows and open space. Sat in on a Civ Pro II class and then a Remedies class--I hope if I end up at UK that I have that prof. Can't think of his name at the moment, but he was hilarious.

I am glad you enjoyed the visit. I don't have any classes today so I am enjoying being at home. Some of the profs. can be very funny. I can't imagine sitting in on a Civ pro class as a undergrad. Some of that stuff is over our heads and we have been doing it all year long. Rupp arena is amazing. I had been a few times as a kid and have enjoyed going to it numerous times in undergrad and now in law school.

weirdly enough civ pro was an overview of Discovery, which I was somewhat familiar with...I actually followed class pretty well.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:22 am

Okay, one more before I get back to the undergrad work I don't want to do...

Were your exams closed/open book universally, or did it vary by professor? Also, is the library actually a good place to be or does it feel like socialtown instead of studytown?

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:47 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Okay, one more before I get back to the undergrad work I don't want to do...

Were your exams closed/open book universally, or did it vary by professor? Also, is the library actually a good place to be or does it feel like socialtown instead of studytown?

My contracts and torts classes were closed book. My civ pro allowed your rules book wtih anything written in it you wanted. Crim was open book with any notes you wanted. So basically I think it varies.

There are really 3 areas of the uk library. The first room with the multiple tables and no books is very social. The next area of the library isn't as social but there is still some talking. The basement of the library is compeltely silent. There is also the clean lounge which has no talking at all. So really you can find the appropriate studying enviroment for you.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:22 am

Pretzel, how did you like Rupp? Hopefully you didn't stick around Lexington for the grim mood after the UT game on Saturday.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:Pretzel, how did you like Rupp? Hopefully you didn't stick around Lexington for the grim mood after the UT game on Saturday.

It was amazing. Like, I walked in the building and thought...I can die happy now. haha. There were about three USC fans in the whole building, I absolutely loved it.

Also, going to an undergrad in Tennessee...I cannot even describe how much I hate Big Orange. Hate hate hate. Saturday was rough.

jeeptiger09

Postby jeeptiger09 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:21 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:
jeeptiger09 wrote:Pretzel, how did you like Rupp? Hopefully you didn't stick around Lexington for the grim mood after the UT game on Saturday.

It was amazing. Like, I walked in the building and thought...I can die happy now. haha. There were about three USC fans in the whole building, I absolutely loved it.

Also, going to an undergrad in Tennessee...I cannot even describe how much I hate Big Orange. Hate hate hate. Saturday was rough.

glad you had a good time. thankfully you're looking into law school this year and not last year. A trip to Rupp at this time in 2009 would have probably taken UK off your list pretty fast haha.

you should think about coming back to lex during the first weekend in April. could be pretty crazy. they just reinforced the stoplights at the avenue of champions and euclid and woodland...

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:01 pm

jeeptiger09 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:

glad you had a good time. thankfully you're looking into law school this year and not last year. A trip to Rupp at this time in 2009 would have probably taken UK off your list pretty fast haha.

you should think about coming back to lex during the first weekend in April. could be pretty crazy. they just reinforced the stoplights at the avenue of champions and euclid and woodland...

haha I was thinking about it. Unfortunately that's my easter break and I'll be at home in Maryland...if we make the final game I may be a day late coming back to classes. I already plan on skipping whatever classes necessary to make sure I see all our tourney games. Yay senior status...

bruffin

Postby bruffin » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Any updates concerning summer employment for you and your 1L classmates?

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:26 pm

Rough economy. Some people are getting jobs but a lot of us will end up voluntering our time. I know one of the big firms recently decided to not hire anyone for their lexington office. I have lunch with a small firm on monday and hopefully that goes well. Hopefully this has improved by the time I graduate.

totespresh

Postby totespresh » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:00 pm

Hey! I heard that one of the deans could be "abrasive" about certain issues, especially financial aid. Considering I'm going to need that...and a lot of it...who would you recommend to contact? Thanks!

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:35 pm

totespresh wrote:Hey! I heard that one of the deans could be "abrasive" about certain issues, especially financial aid. Considering I'm going to need that...and a lot of it...who would you recommend to contact? Thanks!

I hadn't heard that about any of our deans so I am really not sure. I will talk to some people and see what they say.

jms1987

Postby jms1987 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Do University of Cincinnati grads compete for any of the job placement in Kentucky? (or the other way around)

PS- BEAT THE GATORS!

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:03 pm

jms1987 wrote:Do University of Cincinnati grads compete for any of the job placement in Kentucky? (or the other way around)

PS- BEAT THE GATORS!

The law firms really don't tell you what other schools they are interviewing so I am not sure how well Cinci grads do in lex. There were not very many Cinci firms doing OCI's at UK. From what I have heard the Cinci students and NKU students fill most of the Cinci posistions.

It is always a good day when we beat UF.

bruffin

Postby bruffin » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:04 pm

Thanks again for all your help.

Could you discuss the social life at UK Law?

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:35 pm

totespresh wrote:Hey! I heard that one of the deans could be "abrasive" about certain issues, especially financial aid. Considering I'm going to need that...and a lot of it...who would you recommend to contact? Thanks!

I am not really sure what dean you are talking about. I know that Dean Drusilla V. Bakert was very helpfull when I was considering UK law.

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:46 pm

[quote="bruffin"]Thanks again for all your help.

Could you discuss the social life at UK Law?[/quote

Your welcome. The social life at UK Law is probably one of my favorite parts of going to UK. There really isn't the cut throat mentallity you hear so much about. There are a few gunners but overall everyone is helpful. I never had a problem with someone hiding a book or any of that garbage. Also people said that small groups form and people do not talk to other groups. I really have not encountered that. I feel like I can walk up to anyone in my class and talk to them.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”