University of Kentucky 1L taking questions.

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ukerock2005

University of Kentucky 1L taking questions.

Postby ukerock2005 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:38 pm

Ask away.

el_jugador

Re: University of Kentucky 1L taking questions.

Postby el_jugador » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:16 pm

Do you get free tickets to basketball games?

jremington

Postby jremington » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:44 am

1. What do you like most about UK law?
2. What do you dislike about UK law?
3. On a typical day how much time do you spend studying?
4. What are your career goals?
5. What is the outlook for summer employment for current 1L UK students?
6. What is your take on Lexington?

Thanks for taking questions.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:34 pm

Where do most 1Ls find affordable housing that's not on frat row?

What is the atmosphere as far as competition? Are people cutthroat and ripping pages out of books or is it just standard competitive?

How are the profs? Are there any to definitely go for/avoid?

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:35 pm

el_jugador wrote:Do you get free tickets to basketball games?

I wish but no such luck. It is actually really hard to get basketball tickets. You have to go to a lottery. It can take a few hours if your lucky to get tickets at all.

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:43 pm

jremington wrote:1. What do you like most about UK law?
2. What do you dislike about UK law?
3. On a typical day how much time do you spend studying?
4. What are your career goals?
5. What is the outlook for summer employment for current 1L UK students?
6. What is your take on Lexington?

Thanks for taking questions.

1. The atmosphere at the school. Everyone is actually really nice. I expected far more cut throat peope.
2. The building. It is very old. Also to be honest are career services people don't always do the best job. But a Uk degree carries a lot of wieght in state so it ends up being ok.
3. I probably put in 55 hours a week. Every day is different. I also know people who put in over 80 hours. That really depends on your dedication and reading ablility.
4. I would like to work at a medium to small sized firm. I am looking into either a buisness focus or just general practice. I will have a better idea after this summer and my 2L classes.
5. Rough. But that is everywhere. The economy is killing job openings.
6. I personally love lexington. It is big enough that there are things to do but small enough that it lacks the common problems of big cities. The bar scene is decent enough. The roads do change names far too much, so it can take a while to learn your way around. I want to end up practicing in lexington, which shows how much I enjoy living here.

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:52 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Where do most 1Ls find affordable housing that's not on frat row?

What is the atmosphere as far as competition? Are people cutthroat and ripping pages out of books or is it just standard competitive?

How are the profs? Are there any to definitely go for/avoid?

1. There are a lot of apartment complexs around the campus. I know a lot of students live across the street at the seminary. I personally live off of richmond road. Decently short drive to campus and near shopping and food. Lexington really thrives around the University so there is a lot of good college housing.

2. I have never dealt with any real cutthroat behavior. It was actually a really pleasant suprise how nice everyone is at UK. There are assholes but that is really life. From what I can gather Uk is really a special exception as far as atmosphere goes.

3. I think we have some great profs. I have ones i prefer and others I don't but you aren't given an option on who to take. So even if I give you names you may get stuck with them anyway. Even the profs. I didn't prefer were not bad. The thing with the socratic method is that if you can't see where the prof is going class can be difficult. Some profs. I can figure out where they are leading me others I never could figure it out.

I like your pic by the way. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:57 pm

Thanks for replying. I'm thinking pretty seriously about UK (visiting this week...and going to try really hard to get tickets for Thursday night haha) and this is encouraging thus far.

Does UK grade on a strict curve? I haven't read anything about that either way. (possible reading comprehension fail lol)

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:32 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Thanks for replying. I'm thinking pretty seriously about UK (visiting this week...and going to try really hard to get tickets for Thursday night haha) and this is encouraging thus far.

Does UK grade on a strict curve? I haven't read anything about that either way. (possible reading comprehension fail lol)

Your welcome. Uk grades to a 3.0. The person ranked at the 50 percentile was very close to a 3.0 so it seems the profs. stuck to it. After your visit tell me what classes you sat in on. See if you visited any of mine.

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Hopefully the assholes you speak of are not any of my former fraternity brothers lol (t stewart, c lester, t rains).

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:03 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:Hopefully the assholes you speak of are not any of my former fraternity brothers lol (t stewart, c lester, t rains).

I don't know if I know stewart but lester and rains are really cool.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:03 pm

Here's another one for ya--how accessible are the profs outside of class?

bruffin

Postby bruffin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:17 pm

1. Could you expand a bit on why you feel that career services doesn't do the best job?
2. I am coming from out of state...do you feel like I will be at a huge disadvantage when looking for employment.
3. Kind of a random question...Is it easy to get a cab back to your place on Richmond Rd after a night of hitting the bars?
Thanks for taking questions!

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Here's another one for ya--how accessible are the profs outside of class?

It varies but most are very accessible. I think it is very similar to undergrad in that most love to have students visit and some are ok with it. I have never been nervous about staying after class to ask a question or even make a comment. The thing I really enjoy about prof. interactions in law school is that almost none talk down to you. I always felt like my undergrad profs. felt above their students. Though our profs. are very intelligent they speak to you like your already a lawyer and deserving of thier respect.

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:26 pm

bruffin wrote:1. Could you expand a bit on why you feel that career services doesn't do the best job?
2. I am coming from out of state...do you feel like I will be at a huge disadvantage when looking for employment.
3. Kind of a random question...Is it easy to get a cab back to your place on Richmond Rd after a night of hitting the bars?
Thanks for taking questions!

1. I don't feel they did a great job preparing us for OCI's and just the process of getting a job. But you will figure it out on your own so it isn't a huge deal. It just becomes annoying from time to time. Though economy hasn't made their job any easier I am sure.
2. I think there is some disadvange just in the fact they worry you wont stay local when your done. I don't know anyone who has a summer job yet so I cant say anything about hiring, but I have seen plenty of out of state students at OCI. So it seems out of state students get a fair shake at interviews.
3. Yea I have never had a problem getting a taxi back to my place.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:19 pm

I know you're a 1L and can't really know this stuff yet, but if I'm interested in criminal law (prosecution, in all likelihood) is UK a good place for me?

Also, I'm turbo-excited because I'm going to the USC-UK rematch on Thursday :mrgreen:

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:17 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:I know you're a 1L and can't really know this stuff yet, but if I'm interested in criminal law (prosecution, in all likelihood) is UK a good place for me?

Also, I'm turbo-excited because I'm going to the USC-UK rematch on Thursday :mrgreen:

I feel like UK would be able to give you a solid education in criminal law. One of my friends is also very interested in prosecution. As far as job placement I am not really sure. Congrats on those tickets. Looking forward to wall and cousins putting on a show.

bruffin

Postby bruffin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:34 pm

ukerock2005 wrote:2. I think there is some disadvange just in the fact they worry you wont stay local when your done. I don't know anyone who has a summer job yet so I cant say anything about hiring, but I have seen plenty of out of state students at OCI. So it seems out of state students get a fair shake at interviews.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this or not since you're a 1L, but is it out of the ordinary that no one has a summer job yet? When do you think most people will begin to secure summer work?

Thanks again for taking questions. I visited two weekends ago, and UK is definitely one of my top 3 schools.

kittenmittons

Postby kittenmittons » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:35 pm

What does your school look like?

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:29 pm

I'm not sure if you'll be able to answer this or not since you're a 1L, but is it out of the ordinary that no one has a summer job yet? When do you think most people will begin to secure summer work?

Thanks again for taking questions. I visited two weekends ago, and UK is definitely one of my top 3 schools.[/quote

From talking to people who went through years ago it actually is normal. The process is kind of long. You may already know this but I will explain the process anyway for people that don't. The first two weekends of Feb. you have OCI's which are on campus interviews. All of the big firms that are hiring come interview students. Then they do call backs for a second interview and then decide who to hire. The problem is that the second interview can take a while to set up. I interviewed with a big firm Feb. 6th and they still haven't conacted anyone for a second interview. My writing prof. graduated 10 years ago probably and he said even then some firms took till march to contact him for a second interview. Right now is the time everyone is getting offers and deciding where to work. It is also a waiting game as lower students have to wait on higher students to make their choices so that the firm will offer them next. Also some people have jobs with smaller firms who don't do the OCI's and just use a faster process. Basically I think the time line is ordinary I think the difference is that openings per interview are less right now. Places that hired 4 law students 3 years ago are only taking 1 for this summer. Some of the big firms aren't hiring any 1L's.

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:32 pm

Another thing is that if anyone has question about law school in general and not just UK feel free to ask. Some of the other posters in the general boards can be pessimistic assholes about things. I know asking law students questions helped reduce the shock of law school for me.

bruffin

Postby bruffin » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:08 pm

Thank you again for taking questions. I'm sure i will think of others as I get closer to sending in a seat deposit.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:20 pm

So if I'm visiting Friday, are there any questions you would recommend that I ask? I realize that is a strange question, but was there anything in particular you asked/wished you had asked when you were thinking about UK that I should keep in mind?

And that ticket made my credit card bleed, but as a lifelong Cats fan who's never been in Rupp Arena...I could not pass up the chance to see John Wall, Big Cuz, and Patterson in a Kentucky uniform (hopefully) destroying a team I hate. haha. It's worth it I think.

Ninja edit: got in-state tuition today, yesssss

ukerock2005

Postby ukerock2005 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:So if I'm visiting Friday, are there any questions you would recommend that I ask? I realize that is a strange question, but was there anything in particular you asked/wished you had asked when you were thinking about UK that I should keep in mind?

And that ticket made my credit card bleed, but as a lifelong Cats fan who's never been in Rupp Arena...I could not pass up the chance to see John Wall, Big Cuz, and Patterson in a Kentucky uniform (hopefully) destroying a team I hate. haha. It's worth it I think.

Congrats on in-state tuition. I would ask about plans for a new building and if you want to catch them off gaurd ask about last years drop in bar passage rate. Another good question is what changes the new Dean plans on undertaking.

Wait till your a student then they will only cost 5 bucks a ticket.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:16 pm

ukerock2005 wrote:
Pretzel_Logic wrote:So if I'm visiting Friday, are there any questions you would recommend that I ask? I realize that is a strange question, but was there anything in particular you asked/wished you had asked when you were thinking about UK that I should keep in mind?

Congrats on in-state tuition. I would ask about plans for a new building and if you want to catch them off gaurd ask about last years drop in bar passage rate. Another good question is what changes the new Dean plans on undertaking.

Wait till your a student then they will only cost 5 bucks a ticket.

Not gonna lie, that last sentence made my night. haha.

How bad was last year's drop?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”