Georgia 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
eandy

Gold

Re: Georgia 1L Taking Questions

Post by eandy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:30 am

beccabea wrote: 1) I've heard not-so-good things about UNC's facilities, e.g. that they're too small for the number of students and that they're kind of just blah. What would you guys say about the facilities/crampedness at UGA?
I don't feel like we're cramped. I actually like the building(s) at UGA. They are renovating the building this summer to enclose a courtyard and update some furniture. I think after that it will look a lot better. It doesn't look bad now, but it is sort of blah. The reading room in the library is really pretty. Once class starts next week I can take some pictures if there is demand.
beccabea wrote: 2) How do you generally feel about the faculty? Are professors accessible?
I haven't had any problems with getting my questions answered. I really liked my professors. My legal writing prof is really laid back to the point of annoying me, but when that is my biggest complaint that says a lot. I feel like my professors are either genuinely interested in how we are doing or at least good at faking genuine interest. They do seem to sort of make professors rotate to teach crim law (so you could have a tax expert teaching you crim) but it isn't too bad. They're still good professors, and crim law is only one semester.
beccabea wrote: 3) How is parking? I've heard it's a nightmare at some bigger schools.
I walk to school everyday, but parking doesn't seem to be a big deal. Just register for parking on time. I think the parking deck that is right next to the law school is about 40/month, but there are some cheaper options a little farther away. Rent is also pretty cheap in Athens, so you can reasonably live within walking distance. There is also a good bus system.
beccabea wrote: 4) How well mobile is a UGA degree in case I decide not to work in Georgia? I may, for example, want to work in NC (where I grew up) VA (where I went to undergrad), or DC (because it's DC. Duh.). Is there a decent network in DC?
I don't really know a whole lot about this. Career services tells us we have a decent network in DC, but I don't really know.
beccabea wrote: 5) What is the school's political leaning? Athens'? Atlanta's?
We have a good mix of conservative and liberal professors. If I had to choose, the school is more conservative. Athens and Atlanta are sort of politically complicated (you can't sum it up with one word).
beccabea wrote: 6) I think one person's already answered this, but I'd like some other accounts: how's the competitiveness/are students pretty helpful and friendly with each other?
We joke about gunners, but we don't have real gunners. Everyone here is really nice and friendly. I'd feel comfortable asking anyone for help/giving anyone help. The 1L class thus far is not very cliquey, either, FWIW. Everyone hangs out with everyone else and plays nice.

beccabea

Bronze

Post by beccabea » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:13 am

Thanks! I'll have to ask about the DC network when I visit. The problem is, I'm pretty sure I want to work in government (which is why cost is such a huge thing for me, because I won't be making six figures), but I don't know where except somewhere in or below DC. I'm not mad keen on working in Atlanta, so maybe UGA would be an unwise choice?

Also, this might seem like a weird question, but is the law school conservative enough to deter a liberal from going there? I guess my main concern is that I'm pretty socially liberal, and I don't want to be in a situation where that isolates me from a large part of the student body. I figure people at law school tend to be opinionated enough for that to be a problem.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:20 am

beccabea wrote:Thanks! I'll have to ask about the DC network when I visit. The problem is, I'm pretty sure I want to work in government (which is why cost is such a huge thing for me, because I won't be making six figures), but I don't know where except somewhere in or below DC. I'm not mad keen on working in Atlanta, so maybe UGA would be an unwise choice?

Also, this might seem like a weird question, but is the law school conservative enough to deter a liberal from going there? I guess my main concern is that I'm pretty socially liberal, and I don't want to be in a situation where that isolates me from a large part of the student body. I figure people at law school tend to be opinionated enough for that to be a problem.
If you would be unhappy working in Georgia, UGA may not be the best choice unless you are willing to do a lot of the legwork yourself finding a job.

I can't recall having any political discussions with people. It may sound weird, but we don't really talk about politics that much. The student body isn't overwhelmingly conservative; there are plenty of liberal students. I wouldn't really make school decisions based on politics unless it were an extreme example like BYU or something. It doesn't come up enough to matter.

Edit: There are a fair number of Washington, DC job listings from career services on our online database thing, FWIW

athenian

Bronze

Post by athenian » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:48 am

beccabea wrote:Thanks! I'll have to ask about the DC network when I visit. The problem is, I'm pretty sure I want to work in government (which is why cost is such a huge thing for me, because I won't be making six figures), but I don't know where except somewhere in or below DC. I'm not mad keen on working in Atlanta, so maybe UGA would be an unwise choice?

I might be a little late in responding to this. I'm a 0L, but I was born and raised in Athens.

Like an earlier poster said, there is a good mix of conservative and liberal professors and the student population is pretty mixed as well.

Athens itself is incredibly liberal and the surrounding counties are incredibly conservative. All of them are super rural and I doubt you'll be spending a whole lot of time out there. Athens voted overwhelmingly for Obama in 2008, yet the Congressional representative from the district called Barack a Nazi.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:05 pm

I just got a $10k scholarship depending on maintaining a 2.7 GPA. What is the median for UGA's bellcurve? I am hoping it will be 3.0, but I have a feeling that is too optimistic.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cake

New

Post by cake » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Pricer wrote:I just got a $10k scholarship depending on maintaining a 2.7 GPA. What is the median for UGA's bellcurve? I am hoping it will be 3.0, but I have a feeling that is too optimistic.
First year grades have to average 2.9-3.1 in each class. 2L/3L grades must be within 2.9-3.2, unless the class has fewer than 20 people in it.

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:52 pm

cake wrote:
Pricer wrote:I just got a $10k scholarship depending on maintaining a 2.7 GPA. What is the median for UGA's bellcurve? I am hoping it will be 3.0, but I have a feeling that is too optimistic.
First year grades have to average 2.9-3.1 in each class. 2L/3L grades must be within 2.9-3.2, unless the class has fewer than 20 people in it.
That's great news. Thanks for the info.

cake

New

Post by cake » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:06 pm

Pricer wrote:
cake wrote:
That's great news. Thanks for the info.
Here's the cite if you didn't completely believe me:
LAW SCHOOL GRADING POLICIES

To insure a measure of uniformity in grading policies, the faculty has instituted the following regulations:

First Year Grades

The average grade in each first year course shall fall within the range of 2.9-3.1 based on the Law School's grading system (A+ = 4.3; A = 4.0; A- = 3.7; B+ = 3.3, etc.). Variations from this
rule is permissible only in extraordinary circumstances must be outlined by the instructor in a letter to the Dean.

Suggested guidelines, which are not mandatory, are:

---Maximum 33% "A" grades (including A+ and A-)

---Maximum 33% grades of C+ or lower

---Maximum of two A+ grades

Upper-level Grades

Except as set forth below, the average grade in all upper-level courses shall fall within the range of 2.9-3.2. Variations are permissible only in extraordinary circumstances which must be outlined in a letter from the instuctor to the Dean. The grades of non-J.D. students shall be disregarded for purposes of this policy. All courses and seminars with 20 or fewer students are not subject to this policy.

Suggested guidelines, which are not mandatory, are:

---Maximum 33% "A" grades (including A+ and A-)

---Maximum 33% grades of C+ or lower

---Maximum of two A+ grades

School of Law Faculty Policy stipulates that grading should be completed and course grades submitted to the law registrar office within thirty days after the relevant examination period
From the very bottom of http://www.law.uga.edu/practical-skills-requirement

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:54 pm

semi-reviving this thread as it is the only Georgia Q&A session I could find. I was wondering how you felt about the year long grading policy for 1L (if I'm not mistaken, all of 1L except Crim. law is one grade)? Did it have any effect on obtaining 1L summer internships with firms that may not be familiar with the Georgia grading system? Lastly, how does this affect 1L's potentially transferring (if you know of any)? I only ask the part about transferring to get a complete look at the effect of UGA's unique 1L grading system. Also, thanks for answering questions - they have been a great wealth of information!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Pricer

Silver

Post by Pricer » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:47 am

hokie wrote:semi-reviving this thread as it is the only Georgia Q&A session I could find. I was wondering how you felt about the year long grading policy for 1L (if I'm not mistaken, all of 1L except Crim. law is one grade)? Did it have any effect on obtaining 1L summer internships with firms that may not be familiar with the Georgia grading system? Lastly, how does this affect 1L's potentially transferring (if you know of any)? I only ask the part about transferring to get a complete look at the effect of UGA's unique 1L grading system. Also, thanks for answering questions - they have been a great wealth of information!
I spoke to someone the other day on TLS who transferred to UChi from UGA. He didn't act as if it were a problem.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:39 am

thanks Pricer - good to know. I figured it wouldn't have much (if any) effect on transferring. I was browsing around UGA's website to see if I could find some answers with regards to the effect on OOS firms and it seems that there is a RAW score that gets assessed after Fall exams so it seems as though it is pretty much a non-issue all around. Would still love to hear current students' thoughts on the grading system though

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:07 am

hokie wrote:thanks Pricer - good to know. I figured it wouldn't have much (if any) effect on transferring. I was browsing around UGA's website to see if I could find some answers with regards to the effect on OOS firms and it seems that there is a RAW score that gets assessed after Fall exams so it seems as though it is pretty much a non-issue all around. Would still love to hear current students' thoughts on the grading system though
I kind of feel like, based on who has had a lot of interviews, that the grading system gives a HUGE advantage to people who did really well in Criminal Law (that is the one grade that you will have)for 1L jobs. So for people who did well in other classes, but not so hot in Crim, it sort of feels like you are digging out of a hole. On the other hand, at the end of 1L year, Crim only counts half of what the other classes count, so in theory, you're fine for real OCI. 1L summer isn't as important so I guess it isn't that big of a deal.

For what it is worth, I like it. No matter how much you study and think you know how to take a law school exam, you really don't have any idea what you are doing first semester. The grading system at UGA, by basing 1L grades mostly on second semester, really makes things (1) more fair and (2) a better representation of how you did as a 1L than having grades from first semester weigh evenly with second semester.

hokie

Bronze

Post by hokie » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:36 pm

wow thanks a lot for the response. After talking with students at the ASW, I think they reiterated some of the points you mentioned. i figure its impact wouldn't be drastic but it is still good to know ITE. Thanks again!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”