University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
bsm909

Bronze

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Post by bsm909 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:14 pm

To those of you who received waitlist notifications-what is your status checker currently saying? Is everyone saying DR or are some still showing "in review"

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:52 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Just got waitlisted at the U! 170, 3.4...can't say I was expecting that...
This is a weird one to me. I am not sure what YP'ed means, but if I were you I would've figured the U was an easy in for me. This just proves how little I know about law school admissions. It is all still a big mystery...

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:02 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:Just got waitlisted at the U! 170, 3.4...can't say I was expecting that...
This is a weird one to me. I am not sure what YP'ed means, but if I were you I would've figured the U was an easy in for me. This just proves how little I know about law school admissions. It is all still a big mystery...
yield protected. They probably didn't think he would attend because of better offers, so they let him ride out the waitlist and don't waste an acceptance.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:23 pm

yo! wrote:
Zoomba200 wrote:
yield protected. They probably didn't think he would attend because of better offers, so they let him ride out the waitlist and don't waste an acceptance.

Oh yeah. That makes sense. Sometimes I am a little slow with the lingo. I always wonder why I see people on LSN with 174/3.9 and schools like Oregon and Santa Clara are offering them big old scholarships. Do they not realize that 95% of these people are not going to their schools? But it seems like a safe bet to at least ADMIT joemoviebuff, especially considering he is an alumnus.

EDIT: p.s. It looks like on LSN some of the bigger scholarships have begun to show up. Hopefully that is a good sign that they have the scholarship notifications rolling out.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
yo! wrote:
Zoomba200 wrote:

Oh yeah. That makes sense. Sometimes I am a little slow with the lingo. I always wonder why I see people on LSN with 174/3.9 and schools like Oregon and Santa Clara are offering them big old scholarships. Do they not realize that 95% of these people are not going to their schools? But it seems like a safe bet to at least ADMIT joemoviebuff, especially considering he is an alumnus.
Yeah, I'm definitely surprised that they would to that to an alum, but its the only thing that explains it. Unless of course, if he was a complete psychopath and they sensed it :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:37 pm

My Status checker still says "In Review" though I've been waitlisted. The date did not change from where it was the past month.

Neelio

Silver

Post by Neelio » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:39 pm

kswiss wrote:My Status checker still says "In Review" though I've been waitlisted. The date did not change from where it was the past month.
how did you find out about the waitlist?

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:47 pm

Neelio wrote:
kswiss wrote:My Status checker still says "In Review" though I've been waitlisted. The date did not change from where it was the past month.
how did you find out about the waitlist?
I live a block from the campus. Arrived by mail on Saturday, so it was sent out on Friday.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:01 pm

This is a weird one to me. I am not sure what YP'ed means, but if I were you I would've figured the U was an easy in for me. This just proves how little I know about law school admissions. It is all still a big mystery...[/quote]

yield protected. They probably didn't think he would attend because of better offers, so they let him ride out the waitlist and don't waste an acceptance.[/quote]

Oh yeah. That makes sense. Sometimes I am a little slow with the lingo. I always wonder why I see people on LSN with 174/3.9 and schools like Oregon and Santa Clara are offering them big old scholarships. Do they not realize that 95% of these people are not going to their schools? But it seems like a safe bet to at least ADMIT joemoviebuff, especially considering he is an alumnus.[/quote]

Yeah, I'm definitely surprised that they would to that to an alum, but its the only thing that explains it. Unless of course, if he was a complete psychopath and they sensed it :wink:[/quote]

Ha ha ha I assure you I'm no psychopath (demonic, Dexter-like grin). I was actually expecting a hefty scholarship but hey what the hell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

exitlane

New

Post by exitlane » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:45 am

Accepted on Friday March 12,2010. Status Checker still says that I am under review.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Anybody else see the leaked rankings? Looks like the U is now tied with the Y at 42.

Zoomba200

New

Post by Zoomba200 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:16 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Anybody else see the leaked rankings? Looks like the U is now tied with the Y at 42.
Yeah. The gap between the two was pretty minimal before, but now it is non-existent. You still planning on trying to go to Utah, joemoviebuff? Riding out the waitlist?

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:47 pm

Zoomba200 wrote:
joemoviebuff wrote:Anybody else see the leaked rankings? Looks like the U is now tied with the Y at 42.
Yeah. The gap between the two was pretty minimal before, but now it is non-existent. You still planning on trying to go to Utah, joemoviebuff? Riding out the waitlist?
No I'm headed to UVA. I got a couple pals going to the U though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

old_law_grad

New

Post by old_law_grad » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:14 pm

06 Utah Law grad, moved to UT from Vegas for school.

I had a wonderful time at the school. Yes, some of the facilities are a bit outdated (hence, the current push for alum donations to fund a new school). Despite this, I applaud the recent moves to upgrade faculty first, facilities second. All in all, I think Dean Chodosh is moving in the right direction.

The SLC market is very tight right now. I took a different track to employment than most (knew that biglaw was not a good fit for me), aiming straight for an in-house position. Of course, this is not entirely without danger (two former employers have gone BK, each followed by 2-3 months of unemployment). I'm safe and sound now, but nursing more debt than I prefer, a modest salary, and very few opportunities outside of my current employer (15 resumes sent in the past 12 months - including both firm and in-house positions, 0 replies).

Happy to answer any specific questions should anyone care to ask.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:35 pm

Anyone have updates on the U? Looking for info on hiring.

anb008

New

Post by anb008 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:26 pm

Ok, not sure how active this board is, but i just got my application in for Fall 2012 in today! :)

One question I had: People have been giving me a hard time about the Mormon rep. in Utah. How does the LDS culture play into the law school experience at the U?

Any insight would be helpful! Thanks!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:55 am

The undergraduate school at the University of Utah is regarded as a party school. The law school should be moving into new facilities this year from what I have read & heard.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:18 am

CanadianWolf wrote:The undergraduate school at the University of Utah is regarded as a party school. The law school should be moving into new facilities this year from what I have read & heard.
The undergrad school is not a party school....there are plenty of parties to be found near campus, but considering the commuter nature of the school (only 3,000 of the 30,000 students live on campus) it's not anything crazy like Arizona State. At the very least, it would not interfere with your studies. The U is actually regarded as one of the best research universities in the country, and easily the best in the region.

The mormon influence is obvious, but Salt Lake City is surprisingly liberal and diverse. However, if you go to the U for law school you should plan on working there, and I believe the professional circles and many networking opportunities go through the church and may not be available to those of us that aren't LDS.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:52 am

@coldshoulder: The University of Utah is regarded "as one of the best research universities in the country" ??? You also claim that Utah undergrad is not known as a party school. I understand that you are a student there, but both of your claims conflict with what I have heard over a long period of time--although you do clarify that Utah is not in the same category of party school as Arizona State University (and "party school" is both a subjective & relative term).

On what do you base your claim that the University of Utah is regarded "as one of the best research universities in the country" ? I am not disputing your claim; I have never heard that assertion before about the University of Utah. Utah is not ranked among the "Top 30 Public National Universities". Additionally, the University of Utah has one of the worst 6 year graduation rates in the country, let alone region, at only 57%.

P.S. Also your claim that the Univ. of Utah is "easily the best in the region" is unusual for a school ranked at #124 when Colorado is at #94 & Arizona is tied with Utah at #124 while Denver #82, BYU #71, & Colorado School of Mines #75 are all ranked substantially higher in the National Universities category.

Pink

Bronze

Post by Pink » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:37 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:The undergraduate school at the University of Utah is regarded as a party school. The law school should be moving into new facilities this year from what I have read & heard.
Incorrect on both points. Utah is definitely not a party school. (wish that it were, would have made undergrad more pleasant). Also, the new buildings won't be ready til 2014-2015.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Rankings proof. Because of the weak liberal arts programs and funding, the U ranks low overall. In specific programs in the health, medical, and science fields it does quite well, and boasts a Nobel Prize winner.
--LinkRemoved--

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:10 pm

coldshoulder wrote:Rankings proof. Because of the weak liberal arts programs and funding, the U ranks low overall. In specific programs in the health, medical, and science fields it does quite well, and boasts a Nobel Prize winner.
--LinkRemoved--

Edit: First, never go off of the information provided by the school. It is in the school's interest to be selective in the information that they choose to publish.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... l-rankings

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks for clearing that up eight months after somebody might've given a shit.

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:41 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:Thanks for clearing that up eight months after somebody might've given a shit.
You do realize that new batches of young 0Ls search TLS every year for good information, right? Someone may "give a shit" this coming fall when they apply. And you seem to give a shit since you came back 8 months later.

coldshoulder

Silver

Post by coldshoulder » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:22 pm

TTTehehe wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:Rankings proof. Because of the weak liberal arts programs and funding, the U ranks low overall. In specific programs in the health, medical, and science fields it does quite well, and boasts a Nobel Prize winner.
--LinkRemoved--

Edit: First, never go off of the information provided by the school. It is in the school's interest to be selective in the information that they choose to publish.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandrevie ... l-rankings
Lol, obviously the school puts up info that it wants to display and hides other pieces that it doesn't. That doesn't make the ones it does show less true. And my statement still stands: if you're interested in science/medicine, it's one of the best schools for the value, and in a couple respects (PA, Nursing, PT, Pharma) it's a serious school, period.

Also, wtf necropost bro.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”