University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby usuaggie » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:57 pm

justcap wrote:
usuaggie wrote:agreed. for a top 50 school, it feels pretty neglected to me. I've met the dean of admissions (cant remember his name now) twice, and he is a great guy. but if i'm dealing with cold weather, i want a nice building to study in.

Brrr. The cold weather is one of main points I may choose not to go to the U (or BYU). I went to Dixie for two years, and I'm dying up in the Aggie cold, and want no more of it after I graduate!


you're an aggie too!? What's your major?

I am sick of the cold. I'm home in vegas for the weekend and the change in weather sure is nice. I dont think slc would be AS bad as logan though.

User avatar
justcap
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby justcap » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:40 pm

usuaggie wrote:
justcap wrote:
usuaggie wrote:agreed. for a top 50 school, it feels pretty neglected to me. I've met the dean of admissions (cant remember his name now) twice, and he is a great guy. but if i'm dealing with cold weather, i want a nice building to study in.

Brrr. The cold weather is one of main points I may choose not to go to the U (or BYU). I went to Dixie for two years, and I'm dying up in the Aggie cold, and want no more of it after I graduate!


you're an aggie too!? What's your major?

I am sick of the cold. I'm home in vegas for the weekend and the change in weather sure is nice. I dont think slc would be AS bad as logan though.

I am a true-blooded Aggie, with a major in Sociology. You're right that slc probably isn't as cold as Logan, but still colder than I prefer! In the end, I don't think I'll pick a school based on the weather, though.

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby usuaggie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:11 am

justcap wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
justcap wrote:
usuaggie wrote:agreed. for a top 50 school, it feels pretty neglected to me. I've met the dean of admissions (cant remember his name now) twice, and he is a great guy. but if i'm dealing with cold weather, i want a nice building to study in.

Brrr. The cold weather is one of main points I may choose not to go to the U (or BYU). I went to Dixie for two years, and I'm dying up in the Aggie cold, and want no more of it after I graduate!


you're an aggie too!? What's your major?

I am sick of the cold. I'm home in vegas for the weekend and the change in weather sure is nice. I dont think slc would be AS bad as logan though.

I am a true-blooded Aggie, with a major in Sociology. You're right that slc probably isn't as cold as Logan, but still colder than I prefer! In the end, I don't think I'll pick a school based on the weather, though.


I'm english. i havent met any aggies applying this cycle. I don't know where I'll end up, but i hope utah at least makes me choose.

User avatar
JetstoRJC
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby JetstoRJC » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:29 am

Another Aggie here. Justcap just realized who you are. Sure you could figure out who I am pretty easily as well. My wife and I do live just around the corner from you :D

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby usuaggie » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:32 am

JetstoRJC wrote:Another Aggie here. Justcap just realized who you are. Sure you could figure out who I am pretty easily as well. My wife and I do live just around the corner from you :D


I prob dont know either of you unless you go early to the bball games. i sit front row every game. are you both hoping for the U?

User avatar
JetstoRJC
Posts: 178
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby JetstoRJC » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 am

Didn't apply to the U. Might target SLC market after law school though. Know quite a few people who have attended/ are attending both the U and BYU and all speak highly of their respective schools.

User avatar
justcap
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby justcap » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:49 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:Another Aggie here. Justcap just realized who you are. Sure you could figure out who I am pretty easily as well. My wife and I do live just around the corner from you :D

Yeah I figured you were you because of your school list and your initials. I wish I had your lsat and options!

User avatar
justcap
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby justcap » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:58 pm

usuaggie wrote:
JetstoRJC wrote:Another Aggie here. Justcap just realized who you are. Sure you could figure out who I am pretty easily as well. My wife and I do live just around the corner from you :D


I prob dont know either of you unless you go early to the bball games. i sit front row every game. are you both hoping for the U?

Oh I think I know who you are. Were you Peter Pan and the Little Mermaid the last couple weeks :lol: ? j/k. I usually mid-to-high up in the student section at bball.

I'm hoping for a good scholarship offer from the U, but even then I don't know between there and the Y. Nor can I decide if I even want to stay in Utah for law school. I'd like to end up in St. George afterward, but willing to work in SLC or Vegas before that if I need to.

User avatar
Zoomba200
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby Zoomba200 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:54 pm

Another Aggie.

I am torn between Vegas and Utah for financial and climate reasons.

User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby kswiss » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:32 pm

I'm currently in UG at the U and have spent a good amount of time in the law library for some classes. Small, yes. But it is never crowded. It seems to be a good vibe all around. I know several students that just graduated, and all of them speak very highly of the school.

If you live in Utah but have never lived in SLC, its a different beast. I've lived in Orem and Logan, and church stuff isn't nearly as big of a deal here. Institutionally, the U seems to downplay it a lot. Even the religious students are pretty low key about it; it is very rarely even mentioned in or out of class.

That said, I grew up in SoCal, and the culture is quite a bit different here. The city is fun though, with NBA and MLS teams, and it is close to winter and summer outdoor sports in abundance.

BYU is a highly regarded school in the area, but the U seems to place about equally in SLC. It is also simple to get in-state tuition here, so the school is very cheap.

dgsaudio
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby dgsaudio » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:54 pm

So guys/gals - my application has been in review since 2/08/10 and I haven't heard anything back... With a 161/3.68, should I assume i've been waitlisted/rejected? I originally submitted 12/10/09. I've talked with people who got in, and they heard back a lot sooner than where i'm currently sitting....

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby usuaggie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:56 pm

dgsaudio wrote:So guys/gals - my application has been in review since 2/08/10 and I haven't heard anything back... With a 161/3.68, should I assume i've been waitlisted/rejected? I originally submitted 12/10/09. I've talked with people who got in, and they heard back a lot sooner than where i'm currently sitting....


dont say that! it makes me sad at 159 3.32 i just want a chance

User avatar
tyjole
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby tyjole » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:04 pm

usuaggie wrote:
dgsaudio wrote:So guys/gals - my application has been in review since 2/08/10 and I haven't heard anything back... With a 161/3.68, should I assume i've been waitlisted/rejected? I originally submitted 12/10/09. I've talked with people who got in, and they heard back a lot sooner than where i'm currently sitting....


dont say that! it makes me sad at 159 3.32 i just want a chance


just look at the official guide on lsac with last year's numbers. dgsaudio- 51 of 61 of people in your statiscal group got in. usuaggie, your group was a little worse with less than 50% getting in, but with you being at the top of that group's range you probably have a better chance than others in that range. I went complete 1/19 and was in review 2/8 until 2/23 I want to say and I was above the 75th in both lsat and gpa. They just take 6-8 weeks really like it says on their site. If it's been longer than that I might start getting a little worried, but not really.

dgsaudio
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby dgsaudio » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:12 pm

tyjole wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
dgsaudio wrote:So guys/gals - my application has been in review since 2/08/10 and I haven't heard anything back... With a 161/3.68, should I assume i've been waitlisted/rejected? I originally submitted 12/10/09. I've talked with people who got in, and they heard back a lot sooner than where i'm currently sitting....


dont say that! it makes me sad at 159 3.32 i just want a chance


just look at the official guide on lsac with last year's numbers. dgsaudio- 51 of 61 of people in your statiscal group got in. usuaggie, your group was a little worse with less than 50% getting in, but with you being at the top of that group's range you probably have a better chance than others in that range. I went complete 1/19 and was in review 2/8 until 2/23 I want to say and I was above the 75th in both lsat and gpa. They just take 6-8 weeks really like it says on their site. If it's been longer than that I might start getting a little worried, but not really.


Yeah I keep looking at the LSAC guide...keeping the flame of hope alive.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby yo! » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:20 pm

dgsaudio wrote:So guys/gals - my application has been in review since 2/08/10 and I haven't heard anything back... With a 161/3.68, should I assume i've been waitlisted/rejected? I originally submitted 12/10/09. I've talked with people who got in, and they heard back a lot sooner than where i'm currently sitting....


I don't know whether you should be worried, but I am in the same boat. Complete 1/5, in review 1/15 and updated on 2/10. Who knows what the hell they are waiting for........

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby usuaggie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 pm

I wrote n asked them earlier this week. They said I'd have a decision within a few weeks and their deposit is due end of april

dgsaudio
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby dgsaudio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:36 pm

I got an update on my online application status - Decision Date 3-5-10....looks like i'll find something out soon....

dgsaudio
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby dgsaudio » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:34 pm

dgsaudio wrote:I got an update on my online application status - Decision Date 3-5-10....looks like i'll find something out soon....


Yep, got a letter today - waitlisted. Is there information available anywhere concerning the number of waitlisters who actually end up matriculating?

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby yo! » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:12 pm

dgsaudio wrote:
dgsaudio wrote:I got an update on my online application status - Decision Date 3-5-10....looks like i'll find something out soon....


Yep, got a letter today - waitlisted. Is there information available anywhere concerning the number of waitlisters who actually end up matriculating?


Mind sharing your numbers?

dgsaudio
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:28 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby dgsaudio » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:29 pm

yo! wrote:
dgsaudio wrote:
dgsaudio wrote:I got an update on my online application status - Decision Date 3-5-10....looks like i'll find something out soon....


Yep, got a letter today - waitlisted. Is there information available anywhere concerning the number of waitlisters who actually end up matriculating?


Mind sharing your numbers?


No problem - 161, 3.68 cumulative gpa/3.84 degree gpa
Softs- veteran, fluent in Russian
other factors - LDS in-state

Oh well. Good luck to everyone else!

User avatar
joemoviebuff
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:51 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby joemoviebuff » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:51 pm

Just got waitlisted at the U! 170, 3.4...can't say I was expecting that...

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby yo! » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:54 pm

lol holy shit......things aren't looking great for me.

BTW: you were obviously YP'ed joe, but I'm surprised that they would do that to a UU undergrad. Either that, or they have you figured for some kind of sociopath.

User avatar
kswiss
Posts: 391
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:58 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby kswiss » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:54 pm

I was also waitlisted via mail yesterday. Not sure if I'll ride it out.

170, 2.5 (3.74 from UofU)

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby yo! » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:57 pm

Well, I guess the writing is on the wall. No phone call and two locals just got their WLs in the mail. My guess is that my WL letter hasn't made it to Northern Ca yet. :?

qualster
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:42 am

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Postby qualster » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:40 am

darknightbegins wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:If I go to Utah would I still have a decent shot at getting a job in a near by state like Nevada? Or is Utah pretty much exclusive to the state? I wouldn't mind living in Utah but the state itself is not my first choice.



talking to vegas attorneys, utah > unlv even in vegas.


Hmm is that because UNLV law is so new? I find this surprising.


Utah is just a solid school. It is so well run and the state of Utah puts a lot of money into the U.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests