University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
usuaggie

Silver

Re: University Of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law

Post by usuaggie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:29 pm

darknightbegins wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:If I go to Utah would I still have a decent shot at getting a job in a near by state like Nevada? Or is Utah pretty much exclusive to the state? I wouldn't mind living in Utah but the state itself is not my first choice.

talking to vegas attorneys, utah > unlv even in vegas.
Hmm is that because UNLV law is so new? I find this surprising.
UNLV doesn't have a great rep in nevada. in high school, most of the kids that stay and go to unlv go there because they were too dumb to go to a big school. That is why the undergrad graduation rate is so low

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:36 pm

usuaggie wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:If I go to Utah would I still have a decent shot at getting a job in a near by state like Nevada? Or is Utah pretty much exclusive to the state? I wouldn't mind living in Utah but the state itself is not my first choice.

UNLV doesn't have a great rep in nevada. in high school, most of the kids that stay and go to unlv go there because they were too dumb to go to a big school. That is why the undergrad graduation rate is so low
Damn. It seems that school has been on the rise and as the only law school in the state I would have thought its access would be beat Utah. Thanks for the info

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:29 pm

usuaggie wrote:
darknightbegins wrote:
usuaggie wrote:

Not everyone is Utah State material......

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:13 pm

Please elaborate.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:11 pm

yo! wrote:
by utah state material, i'm assuming you mean somebody who turns down a scholarship to penn state because you want to be closer to your family? or somebody who goes to usu because they have a top 10 program in psychology and a top 5 in education? i guess i could have gone to the U though, but my grandma doesn't have a basement for me to live in.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:13 pm

darknightbegins wrote:Please elaborate.
he was attacking my school because that is the cool thing to do, and because he knows me so well. i assumed he goes to utah (where I also got a full ride, but wanted a real college experience)

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:47 am

usuaggie wrote:
yo! wrote:
by utah state material, i'm assuming you mean somebody who turns down a scholarship to penn state because you want to be closer to your family? or somebody who goes to usu because they have a top 10 program in psychology and a top 5 in education? i guess i could have gone to the U though, but my grandma doesn't have a basement for me to live in.
lmao....defensive much? My only point was that you shouldn't throw stones when living in a glass house. You trashed on people at UNLV when your UG is only MARGINALLY better than theirs. If you were at an ivy, you would just be a dick; but at another run-of-the-mill state school, you just seem like a moron.
This is the comment that I was referring to, and allow me to thank you for making my point before I even had the chance. There are a million reasons why people choose their UG, so why make completely idiotic blanket assumptions about why people go to UNLV? Maybe they wanted to stay near family, had a good job, or wanted cheap in-state tuition. Did you choose your UG because you were too dumb to go to UU or *gasp* BYU? I have no clue, but I'm not arrogant enough to automatically assume that of people who went to lower ranked schools (aparrently you are). You made the choice for specific reasons and so did they, but I'm willing to bet that plenty of those "dumb people that stayed at UNLV" are much smarter than you. Also, lol at throwing out lame ass specialty rankings. My UG had a great music program...:lol:...who gives a fuck? I don't have any personal problem with you, I just thought you made a douchey comment. Relax and please avoid posting during menstruation.

BTW: I am from CA and I used this thread to ask how I would fit in at UU, so why would you assume that I go there for UG?

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:34 am

::Slowly backs away very cautiously::

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 am

darknightbegins wrote:::Slowly backs away very cautiously::
haha I really don't have any issue with usuaggie, maybe I've just had too much redbull tonight :o To answer your question, I am of the opinion that schools from 40-100 are all regional. Pick an area where you would be comfortable practicing and/or whichever school allow you to accumulate the least debt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jerichogringo

New

Post by jerichogringo » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:42 am

Forget slowly. ::Drops his lollipop, turns tail, and runs::

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:49 am

yo! wrote:
haha I really don't have any issue with usuaggie, maybe I've just had too much redbull tonight :o To answer your question, I am of the opinion that schools from 40-100 are all regional. Pick an area where you would be comfortable practicing and/or whichever school allow you to accumulate the least debt.
This I would agree with. However UNLV is such a young school that I could see a Utah having just as good, if not better, placement in Nevada when it comes to law. If you are going to a 40-100 school you shouldn't be looking at "biglaw" unless you graduate at the top of your class. I could live just fine in Nevada personally and if I got into Utah I could stand living there for three years if I still had a good shot at being in Nevada and/or Arizona. Being able to live in a warm climate state is one of the most important considerations when it comes to applying to schools and where I want to live in the future.

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:50 am

jerichogringo wrote:Forget slowly. ::Drops his lollipop, turns tail, and runs::
Careful...if they sense fear..they are more likely to give chase.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:52 am

yo! wrote:
I grew up loving everything UNLV, so I'm not insulting somebody else's school. it is my hometown team. my best friend was valedictorian and went there. And as for lame specialty programs, those were my two majors until my last year, so I wasn't throwing out random ones. Otherwise, I would have gone with the best rocket science program.

anyway, what i said was 100% true. I wasn't saying kids at UNLV are stupid. I said that UNLV HAS A BAD REPUTATION because the IDEA IS THAT THE KIDS WHO GO THERE ARE THE STUPID ONES.

I applied there, so why would I argue only dumb people go there?

edit: a big part of the perception is due to unlv giving a full ride to in-state high school students who graduate with a 2.75 GPA or higher along with blanket acceptances. It has NOTHING to do with the law school, but it affects local perception (warranted or not)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:58 am

darknightbegins wrote:
yo! wrote:
This I would agree with. However UNLV is such a young school that I could see a Utah having just as good, if not better, placement in Nevada when it comes to law. If you are going to a 40-100 school you shouldn't be looking at "biglaw" unless you graduate at the top of your class. I could live just fine in Nevada personally and if I got into Utah I could stand living there for three years if I still had a good shot at being in Nevada and/or Arizona. Being able to live in a warm climate state is one of the most important considerations when it comes to applying to schools and where I want to live in the future.
I hear you on that, but having "just as good" of placement in NV wouldn't justify going there without $$$ IMO. This is all speculation, bcause I haven't been admitted to Utah yet, but I would take my full ride at UNLV before paying sticker at Utah. If I was a resident of Utah/wanted to practice there permanently, things would be drastically different. I'm flexible about my practice area, so I'm agonizing over whether to take my full tuition offer at UNLV or my 1/2 tuition offer at Arizona. I'm just not sure if a lower T1 is worth giving up a potentially free education in a decent area.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 am

well I think there is still a big difference between how they see the schools and the employment prospects. Living in vegas for law school would allow you to network with local firms easier than going to a better school in a different state. If you have two applicants with identical resumes, one unlv and one utah, I think they pick the utah one. The only difference is you will have more opportunities to make connections @ unlv in vegas at more places than you would if you were at utah.

yo!

Silver

Post by yo! » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:06 am

usuaggie wrote:
yo! wrote:
I grew up loving everything UNLV, so I'm not insulting somebody else's school. it is my hometown team. my best friend was valedictorian and went there. And as for lame specialty programs, those were my two majors until my last year, so I wasn't throwing out random ones. Otherwise, I would have gone with the best rocket science program.

anyway, what i said was 100% true. I wasn't saying kids at UNLV are stupid. I said that UNLV HAS A BAD REPUTATION because the IDEA IS THAT THE KIDS WHO GO THERE ARE THE STUPID ONES.

edit: a big part of the perception is due to unlv giving a full ride to in-state high school students who graduate with a 2.75 GPA or higher along with blanket acceptances. It has NOTHING to do with the law school, but it affects local perception (warranted or not)

The wording in your first post definitely suggested that you were a subscriber to that opinion, but it isn't even worth the argument. Lets just chalk it up to an internet misunderstanding eh?

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:28 am

yo! wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
yo! wrote:

The wording in your first post definitely suggested that you were a subscriber to that opinion, but it isn't even worth the argument. Lets just chalk it up to an internet misunderstanding eh?
well I did say in high school, and undergraduate grad percentage. it would be like cooley opening up a med school. the law school rep would stick to it.

anyway, I'll be @ the unlv admitted students day on saturday and I hope I hear back from utah by then too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

darknightbegins

Silver

Post by darknightbegins » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:01 am

Yeah I'm waiting to hear back from Utah...any day now...

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:16 pm

usuaggie wrote:
yo! wrote:
usuaggie wrote:
yo! wrote:

well I did say in high school, and undergraduate grad percentage. it would be like cooley opening up a med school. the law school rep would stick to it.

anyway, I'll be @ the unlv admitted students day on saturday and I hope I hear back from utah by then too.

how bout you all stick to talking about Utah on a Utah thread and go yap on the UNLV thread if that's more fun for you. My question about utah is going to be the tuition increases. I am also unsure I could handle three years in their library and building, I've been in there and its pretty tiny. It just seems like it'd be crowded even for 130 /yr.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:34 pm

tyjole wrote: how bout you all stick to talking about Utah on a Utah thread and go yap on the UNLV thread if that's more fun for you. My question about utah is going to be the tuition increases. I am also unsure I could handle three years in their library and building, I've been in there and its pretty tiny. It just seems like it'd be crowded even for 130 /yr.

or, jackass, how bout you read the entire conversation and see that the question I was answering was about Utah's reputation compared to unlv's reputation in vegas.

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:41 pm

read it. So if you're talking about reputation of the two law schools in the area, why did you transition to talking about UNLV's undergrad. It has nothing to do with the two law schools competing for the better reputation. That's all I was saying.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:48 pm

tyjole wrote:read it. So if you're talking about reputation of the two law schools in the area, why did you transition to talking about UNLV's undergrad. It has nothing to do with the two law schools competing for the better reputation. That's all I was saying.
but that was my argument. the undergraduate reputation has an effect on the law school reputation. Because the opinion of unlv undergrad is so low in vegas, it brings down the law school's perception as well. I didn't say it was fair or justified, but that is what vegas lawyers/judges have been leading me to believe.

tyjole

New

Post by tyjole » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:57 pm

well that's fine. I wasn't gunning for you personally, just as you said, I don't think relating an undergrad rep to a law school is justified. Back to what I said earlier, has anyone visited the school or can the current students chime in on the facilities. I just felt things were really compact compared to other places I've visited; it just doesn't seem comfortable to spend all day there.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:00 pm

tyjole wrote:well that's fine. I wasn't gunning for you personally, just as you said, I don't think relating an undergrad rep to a law school is justified. Back to what I said earlier, has anyone visited the school or can the current students chime in on the facilities. I just felt things were really compact compared to other places I've visited; it just doesn't seem comfortable to spend all day there.
agreed. for a top 50 school, it feels pretty neglected to me. I've met the dean of admissions (cant remember his name now) twice, and he is a great guy. but if i'm dealing with cold weather, i want a nice building to study in.

justcap

New

Post by justcap » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:46 pm

usuaggie wrote: agreed. for a top 50 school, it feels pretty neglected to me. I've met the dean of admissions (cant remember his name now) twice, and he is a great guy. but if i'm dealing with cold weather, i want a nice building to study in.
Brrr. The cold weather is one of main points I may choose not to go to the U (or BYU). I went to Dixie for two years, and I'm dying up in the Aggie cold, and want no more of it after I graduate!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”