Mercer Law 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Netopalis

Mercer Law 1L taking questions

Postby Netopalis » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Yeah. No flames, please. I know that Mercer has developed a sort of reputation after a fiasco around here a while back. Honestly, I feel that it's a solid choice for people who have certain goals - I've found that it's worked really well for me for job prospects in prosecution, and the alumni network is fairly strong. If you want a biglaw job, I would recommend probably looking elsewhere...But, then again, not everybody wants a biglaw job. At any rate, I'm willing to answer any serious questions that anybody has to the best of my abilities.

lawschoolstudent85

Re: Mercer Law 1L taking questions

Postby lawschoolstudent85 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:18 pm

Fiasco?

Netopalis

Postby Netopalis » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:25 am

Yeah, there was something about somebody coming on here and posting nasty messages, then his classmates piecing together what was posted and identifying him. I wasn't really sure about the details. Anyway.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:41 pm

Hi, I have a question. I'm not really looking into biglaw jobs either-- hopefully criminal law, and prosecution is high on my job list. Why do you think Mercer is preparing you for prospects in that area?

Netopalis

Postby Netopalis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:11 am

Hey, sorry, I didn't see this question until just now. Basically, there are several reasons.

1) Mercer is extremely generous with its scholarships. Personally, I was able to get a full ride plus a summer stipend for every summer that I work in a public interest or government job. This means that I can afford to take a lower-paying job once I graduate.

2) We have an absolutely fantastic moot court program. I'm getting ready to compete in the 1L competition, and there are opportunities to compete in advocacy programs in every year.

3) We have an extremely strong legal writing program. I know that it might not seem like a lot right now, but I've gotten a lot of positive comments from potential employers about my legal writing samples, and I think that it's been one of the more positive things in my job search.

4) While the classes can sometimes be large-ish (I think my biggest one was probably around 75-80 students), the professors are extremely open to meeting and talking with students. My Torts professor, for example, had his office door open whenever he was in and would invite students to chat about the subject, their career choices, restaurants in Macon, whatever. He even plays Tennis regularly with a lot of my classmates.

5) Most county and state prosecutor's offices aren't so concerned with where you went to law school as how well you present yourself in an interview and how well you can communicate. Sure, they'd probably take a Harvard grad over you, but generally there's not so much competition for these jobs.

Anyway, hope that helps! If you end up coming here, let me know, I'll pass on some outlines.

hatteras1

Postby hatteras1 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:01 pm

It does help! Thanks so much for the reply!

DukeCornell

Postby DukeCornell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:36 pm

I totally agree with the aforementioned post. I have only heard great things about Mercer. Good luck!

TruffleMomma

Postby TruffleMomma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:04 am

Mercer was my undergrad. I did not enjoy it. It is helpful if you stay in state (one excellent McDonough firm makes it obvious they prefer Mercer grads over others), but outside of Georgia... not so helpful. I was shocked that there are people who don't know who Mercer is.... my whine of "But I graduated from MERCER" did not help when they say "Where is that?".Still I will be paying off my UG loans for many years to come and therefore, headed out of state for Law.

I do have a questions, though- many of my friends still in GA are looking at Mercer for law:

Mercer's writing program is second to none- I believe still ranked number 1? Do you have any insight as to what they do there that produces such amazing rankings?

Recently Mercer has been knocked out of the top tier. I am interested in whether or not this downward jolt has produced a reaction- a positive one. If so, what types of things might Mercer be considering to get back in the top 100? I know there is nothing that can be done about the surrounding Macon area (which needs some work) but within the school?

Thanks.

Netopalis

Postby Netopalis » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:44 pm

Another belated reply - sorry about that!

Mercer's writing program isn't just hype. This summer, I've been working at a prosecutor's office and have been asked on several occasions to rewrite memos written by other interns. The program works, simply put. Do other law schools do it just as well? Perhaps - I've never sat in a legal writing class at another law school. Just from what I've heard others say, though, Mercer's program excels for two reasons: 1) Legal writing is a taught subject like any other - it's not pass/fail and 2) We spend a lot more time on it than other law schools. Overall, we have a minimum of 7 hours required of legal research and writing in order to graduate - a few other law schools that I've read about require fewer than 3. I think that it's also partially due to the small class sizes in the legal writing program - each legal writing class is comprised of 20-30 students, each of which get individual conferences with the professors.

Admittedly, when Mercer was knocked out of the top 100, there were repercussions throughout the school. As a matter of full disclosure, some facebook comments were leaked to Above the Law - you can check out what was said there. However, we just hired a new dean who I personally have some trust in. I think that we'll be back in the top 100 sooner rather than later if Dean Simson is aggressive enough to fix some of the more awkward policies that Mercer has.

As for there being nothing to do about Macon...There is a fairly significant contingent of faculty members who are engaging in urban renewal projects in downtown Macon. We've actually done quite well with it - but admittedly, there's still a long way to go.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:41 pm

"awkward policies"? What do you mean by that?

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:53 pm

Have you met Nancy Grace? Is there a link to the debacle you are talking about?

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:00 pm

bump

atlantisdan

Postby atlantisdan » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:16 am

There is a very good chance that I go to Mercer. I was very aware of the criticisms and the so called "fiasco" before I applied, so I had serious reservations. I still took the time to visit the school and was very happy with what I discovered. The staff was very engaged, very knowledgeable, and very dedicated to doing whatever it takes to get Mercer back in the top tier. I too am looking at criminal prosecution and found the school a very good choice to pursue this choice of study at. The students that I talked with were very happy at Mercer. I liked the school a lot.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”