BC 1L, Bored in Civil Procedure, Willing to answer questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
impressivekowalski

BC 1L, Bored in Civil Procedure, Willing to answer questions

Postby impressivekowalski » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:31 am

Hey Guys,
I know I really appreciated the insight on this forum when I was engaged in the law school search not too long ago, so I thought I might continue the spirit of those who helped me out. I am sure somebody earlier in the cycle started a similar discussion but I figured I would begin another one now that people are really starting to think hard about where they are gonna end up in the fall. That being said, feel free to ask anything you would like to know about Boston College Law School (except for questions about the school's proximity to Boston proper, I think that question has been answered plenty of times on this forum...) and I will do my best to get you some helpful answers...

Blindmelon

Re: BC 1L, Bored in Civil Procedure, Willing to answer questions

Postby Blindmelon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:35 am

Do you ever wish you went to law school in Boston? Its a really great city.
Just messing around.

- BU 1L procrastinating on Legislation reading.

halfbrown

Postby halfbrown » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:40 am

I am visiting BU and BC next weekend and I was wondering about how to choose between them. What other schools did you pick BC over? Why? BC and BU are on my final list with Wash U and GW, but I am having a hard time deciding between them because I like them all haha. Also, any idea when scholarship stuff for BC comes out? Was that a major reason for choosing BC?

watts

Postby watts » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:44 am

is it easy to do well in civ pro without paying attention?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:49 am

halfbrown wrote:I am visiting BU and BC next weekend and I was wondering about how to choose between them. What other schools did you pick BC over? Why? BC and BU are on my final list with Wash U and GW, but I am having a hard time deciding between them because I like them all haha. Also, any idea when scholarship stuff for BC comes out? Was that a major reason for choosing BC?

+1 I'm interested in this as well

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:51 am

How many people in your classes are like Scott Brown?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 am

lawyering wrote:How many people in your classes are like Scott Brown?

Don't forget John Kerry

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:54 am

True...if I were to judge a school based on current public figures, Yale wouldn't look so good with (-2) Scalia/Thomas vs. (+1) Sotomayor.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:55 am

lawyering wrote:True...if I were to judge a school based on current public figures, Yale wouldn't look so good with (-2) Scalia/Thomas vs. (+1) Sotomayor.

hahaha I hear you. I have my official BC tour and class sit-in the 15th. Are you going to visit? I've already seen both BC and BU before and I absolutely fell in love with BC.

lawyering

Postby lawyering » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:57 am

tram988 wrote:
lawyering wrote:True...if I were to judge a school based on current public figures, Yale wouldn't look so good with (-2) Scalia/Thomas vs. (+1) Sotomayor.

hahaha I hear you. I have my official BC tour and class sit-in the 15th. Are you going to visit? I've already seen both BC and BU before and I absolutely fell in love with BC.

Will PM you. :)

impressivekowalski

Postby impressivekowalski » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:14 pm

Which pizza places deliver to the school? I couldn't tell you... What I do know though, is that if you order a pizza and eat it openly on the fourth floor of the law library, the library staff will get bitter and institute a ban on all foodstuffs on that floor... Fortunately, the LSA made the removing of the ban a top priority, and had the ban lifted within a week.

As for deciding between BC and BU, I am going to have to give the generic "it's all a matter of preference" response. I think both school are excellent in their own ways, and part of me is glad I didn't have to choose between the two (Waitlisted at BU). Do be honest, I don't think you can go wrong with either, the only real question is which will be marginally better for you personally. For me, I think I am really lucky to be here over BU because based off of conversations I have had with BU students, BC has a much better community "feel" to it. Again, that is simply a matter of preference, and you will have to size up those intangibles on your own trip...

Unfortunately I know very little about how the scholarship money gets dealt with around here. I do get the sense that a good percentage of the student body gets awarded something, usually those with GPAs and LSAT higher than the medians and those with especially high LSAT scores (naturally). Also, those who do "well" their 1L year seem to be pretty successful at negotiating with the administration to improve their scholarships. I wish I could provide more help here as I know that this can be a deciding factor for many...

tram988

Postby tram988 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:45 pm

impressivekowalski wrote:Which pizza places deliver to the school? I couldn't tell you... What I do know though, is that if you order a pizza and eat it openly on the fourth floor of the law library, the library staff will get bitter and institute a ban on all foodstuffs on that floor... Fortunately, the LSA made the removing of the ban a top priority, and had the ban lifted within a week.

As for deciding between BC and BU, I am going to have to give the generic "it's all a matter of preference" response. I think both school are excellent in their own ways, and part of me is glad I didn't have to choose between the two (Waitlisted at BU). Do be honest, I don't think you can go wrong with either, the only real question is which will be marginally better for you personally. For me, I think I am really lucky to be here over BU because based off of conversations I have had with BU students, BC has a much better community "feel" to it. Again, that is simply a matter of preference, and you will have to size up those intangibles on your own trip...
Unfortunately I know very little about how the scholarship money gets dealt with around here. I do get the sense that a good percentage of the student body gets awarded something, usually those with GPAs and LSAT higher than the medians and those with especially high LSAT scores (naturally). Also, those who do "well" their 1L year seem to be pretty successful at negotiating with the administration to improve their scholarships. I wish I could provide more help here as I know that this can be a deciding factor for many...

thanks so much for coming here and answering questions. I've heard the same thing about the different atmospheres. It all comes down to personal feel between bu and bc-- at least for me. Are you going to be around feb 15? I'll be sitting in on a 1030 civ procedure class followed by a tour and I'd love to talk to you! Thanks!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:52 pm

impressivekowalski wrote:Hey Guys,
I know I really appreciated the insight on this forum when I was engaged in the law school search not too long ago, so I thought I might continue the spirit of those who helped me out. I am sure somebody earlier in the cycle started a similar discussion but I figured I would begin another one now that people are really starting to think hard about where they are gonna end up in the fall. That being said, feel free to ask anything you would like to know about Boston College Law School (except for questions about the school's proximity to Boston proper, I think that question has been answered plenty of times on this forum...) and I will do my best to get you some helpful answers...

Ha, was that Bloom per chance? After the speech he gave about students "multitasking" on their computers?

impressivekowalski

Postby impressivekowalski » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:06 pm

No, It was Brodin's civ pro. We've received no such speech. Regardless, I am a little surprised by the heat I am taking for indulging in a little "multi-tasking" in class though. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who occasionally finds themselves doing this....

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:22 pm

Do you know many students looking to return to the West coast after graduation? Any idea how difficult it is to find a decent job out west coming from BC? (I ask because I'm trying to choose between Hastings and BC. I'd much prefer to attend BC but I also want to feel secure about my job prospects after graduation). Thanks for your help! :)

impressivekowalski

Postby impressivekowalski » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:30 pm

It seems to me that BC has an excellent alumni network throughout the country, including the west coast. Still, Most students at BC choose to stay here within the region where that network is especially strong. If you do "well" at Boston College you will find quality options wherever you want to go. That being said, if you are absolutely sure you want to end up on in California, I would think Hastings would give you a lot more opportunities there outside the top of the class...

lateforthesky16

Postby lateforthesky16 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:53 pm

impressivekowalski wrote:It seems to me that BC has an excellent alumni network throughout the country, including the west coast. Still, Most students at BC choose to stay here within the region where that network is especially strong. If you do "well" at Boston College you will find quality options wherever you want to go. That being said, if you are absolutely sure you want to end up on in California, I would think Hastings would give you a lot more opportunities there outside the top of the class...

That's about what I figured as well, and that's why it's a tough decision for me as I'm ready to move on to something besides the UC system. Hopefully when scholarships come out the decision will be easier. Thanks for your help!

FeuerFrei

Postby FeuerFrei » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:25 pm

Last edited by FeuerFrei on Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legalite

Postby Legalite » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Don't know if this has already been asked, but does BC and BU students *compete* with each other? I didn't apply to BC but am planning to attend BU...

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Legalite wrote:Don't know if this has already been asked, but does BC and BU students *compete* with each other? I didn't apply to BC but am planning to attend BU...

There's actually a Thunderdome midway between the two campuses on Comm Ave...two law students enter, one law student leaves. True story!!

newyorker88

Postby newyorker88 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:20 am

Where would you recommend living as a 1L?

StanDarsh

Postby StanDarsh » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:28 pm

impressivekowalski wrote:No, It was Brodin's civ pro. We've received no such speech. Regardless, I am a little surprised by the heat I am taking for indulging in a little "multi-tasking" in class though. I am pretty sure I am not the only one who occasionally finds themselves doing this....

How is Brodin as a professor?

BCLS Alum

Postby BCLS Alum » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:14 am

BC and BU students make up the largest part of most summer associate classes. They do compete with eachother, to an extent.

As for choosing between the schools, I chose BC over BU and am very happy with that decision. Typically, if you get into one school you will usually get into the other. As the OP said, it is typically a matter of personal preference. While BC places better in the large Boston firms, the difference is rarely more than a few students each summer, so its not really something to judge the schools by. Realistically, the schools are fairly fungible regarding clerkships and employment. Where they differ, however, is in atmosphere and campus. BC is a much more traditional university, with a spacious campus, nice architecture, sports teams, etc. BU is very similar to NYU in that it is closer into the city, has an urban campus (not really a campus, but a group of buildings). BU is also enormous compared to BC, although the law schools are the same size.

As for west coast placement, BC has offcampus job fairs in southern and northern california. Students have been very successful in getting jobs in California's biggest law firms through the program. The school also does this in DC, Florida, Atlanta, NY, and Chicago.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”