Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
keg411

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby keg411 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:58 pm

Bronte wrote:
keg411 wrote:As is the case at most top schools, grades are shrouded in secrecy. They publish the curves for the individual classes, but they don't rank students until graduation. You just get your grades online about a month after finals.

By the curves, do you mean that they give out full distributions for each class (i.e. the number of A's, A-'s, etc.) or just the means?

Full distributions.[/quote]

Great to know. We got those at my 1L school, and I really liked it that way, so I'm glad Michigan does it as well.

SweetrollStealer

Postby SweetrollStealer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks for this. Is it safe to assume that some professors are therefore harder graders than others?

Also, what is with the classes where everyone got an A or an A-? Are they just like puff classes or something? I mean, "Tax of Cross Border Fin Trans" frankly does not sound easy. :P

Though actually, it looks like 1L courses are all graded on a similar curve...

All 1L classes and any class with at least 40(?) students is graded on a hard curve. Smaller upper level lecture classes and seminars are not, generally (subject to the discretion of the professor). This is one of the reasons GPAs tend to rise throughout 2L and 3L year.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:07 pm

NZA wrote:Thanks for this. Is it safe to assume that some professors are therefore harder graders than others?

Also, what is with the classes where everyone got an A or an A-? Are they just like puff classes or something? I mean, "Tax of Cross Border Fin Trans" frankly does not sound easy. :P

Though actually, it looks like 1L courses are all graded on a similar curve...

Yeah they try to keep 1L courses relatively uniform, and of course you have no control over who you get. However, thereafter it can make sense to look at the prof's curves when you're picking courses.

whizbang

Postby whizbang » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 pm

Hey, what's the best way to get from Detroit to Ann Arbor? I'll be flying in on the 22nd and could definitely use some advice on the speediest way to the LC!

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:26 pm

whizbang wrote:Hey, what's the best way to get from Detroit to Ann Arbor? I'll be flying in on the 22nd and could definitely use some advice on the speediest way to the LC!

The speediest way would be a cab, which is usually $50 flat rate before tip. One of the cheaper ways is probably to take a shuttle, I think there's one called the Metro Shuttle or something.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:51 pm

whizbang wrote:Hey, what's the best way to get from Detroit to Ann Arbor? I'll be flying in on the 22nd and could definitely use some advice on the speediest way to the LC!

I generally use this: http://www.michiganflyer.com/ It is convenient and gets you to AA. From its drop off point, I either take the bus or take a taxi which can take you right in front of the LC. If you can get 2-3 other people, splitting a taxi becomes worth it.

hangtransferloose

Postby hangtransferloose » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 pm

Football Tickets - I bought season tickets. What is the best way to go about selling/buying tickets? I'm looking to take a non-student to a game. Is there some sort of student marketplace set up? Any details are appreciated!

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:01 pm

hangtransferloose wrote:Football Tickets - I bought season tickets. What is the best way to go about selling/buying tickets? I'm looking to take a non-student to a game. Is there some sort of student marketplace set up? Any details are appreciated!

Lawopen (the law school listserv, which you'll be put on shortly) is probably the path of least resistance. You may be able to get better deals elsewhere, but I've always gone through lawopen.

Postby 03121202698008 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:08 pm

Bronte wrote:
hangtransferloose wrote:Football Tickets - I bought season tickets. What is the best way to go about selling/buying tickets? I'm looking to take a non-student to a game. Is there some sort of student marketplace set up? Any details are appreciated!

Lawopen (the law school listserv, which you'll be put on shortly) is probably the path of least resistance. You may be able to get better deals elsewhere, but I've always gone through lawopen.

You can buy another student ticket and pay to validate it then they can go in the student section with you legitimately. Or, you can find a student who looks similar and borrow their ID...

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:36 pm

blowhard wrote:
Bronte wrote:

You can buy another student ticket and pay to validate it then they can go in the student section with you legitimately. Or, you can find a student who looks similar and borrow their ID...

Oh yeah I forgot about that part. Validation is probably the safer route.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:25 pm

For those of you who lived in Lawyers Club - there is an individual thermostat/heating in each room right? It's not centrally controlled for the entire Club, right? Just trying to figure out if I need to bring a space heater or something...

thanks!

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Question for former summer starters, are there any restrictions on what classes you can elect to take during winter semester 1L year? I would like to take Evidence or Jurisdiction with my last 1L class and pair it with a seminar so my class load is a bit lighter.

logan

Postby logan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:05 pm

buckilaw wrote:Question for former summer starters, are there any restrictions on what classes you can elect to take during winter semester 1L year? I would like to take Evidence or Jurisdiction with my last 1L class and pair it with a seminar so my class load is a bit lighter.

There aren't formal restrictions, though the courses might conflict with your last required course.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:43 pm

MissLucky wrote:For those of you who lived in Lawyers Club - there is an individual thermostat/heating in each room right? It's not centrally controlled for the entire Club, right? Just trying to figure out if I need to bring a space heater or something...

thanks!

Yep, each room has its own heater. Absolutely no need for a space heater; I was usually too warm in my room, not too cold. Quite the opposite, you may want to bring a fan for the end of August and September (and it will be handy come April and May) because it can get really hot in the lawyer's club and there's no Air Conditioning

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:50 pm

buckilaw wrote:Question for former summer starters, are there any restrictions on what classes you can elect to take during winter semester 1L year? I would like to take Evidence or Jurisdiction with my last 1L class and pair it with a seminar so my class load is a bit lighter.

The only restriction is that exists every semester you register for classes: availability of classes and no class conflicts (the system will not allow you to do so). Evidence in the Winter, I suspect, will be very popular, and depending on how many 2L and 3Ls want to take it, unless you are prepared to use a priority, may not be available for 1Ls. If by seminar, you mean mini-seminar those are also very popular (you generally also need to use a priority to get in). Jurisdiction may not even be necessary depending on which Civ Pro class you are in (although mine did some, I have heard that some sections went into a lot of jurisdiction issues, even though they were not technically supposed to) and I personally would not take Jurisdiction after having just taken Civ Pro.

Don't worry about this though - you will definitely get a lot of advice on what classes to take and generally it boils down to: do some substantive courses that you like and take other less doctrinal courses too which you are interested in. You may be tired of doctrine though and so you may want a break from doctrine heavy classes.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:31 am

Cooper barely touched on jurisdiction. No personal jurisdiction, very little talk of SMJ, and no mention at all of venue. Kinda feel like I should learn this stuff.

Thanks to all who replied.

whizbang

Postby whizbang » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:10 pm

People living in the LC or who are moving to Ann Arbor before orientation: We should all go out for drinks/dinner/something!

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:26 pm

GMVarun wrote:
MissLucky wrote:For those of you who lived in Lawyers Club - there is an individual thermostat/heating in each room right? It's not centrally controlled for the entire Club, right? Just trying to figure out if I need to bring a space heater or something...

thanks!

Yep, each room has its own heater. Absolutely no need for a space heater; I was usually too warm in my room, not too cold. Quite the opposite, you may want to bring a fan for the end of August and September (and it will be handy come April and May) because it can get really hot in the lawyer's club and there's no Air Conditioning

oh, great to hear! thanks a lot

tmon

Postby tmon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:17 pm

Hello Wolverines :)

I'm a Michigan UG c/o 2010, took some time off and am now getting ready to apply to schools this cycle. Michigan will definitely be a school I apply to and I'd be happy to return to Ann Arbor. I've been looking into my ED options and saw the summer stipulation for Michigan's. I like the idea of starting in the summer but I haven't found too much discussion of it after doing some searching around here. Is there a general feeling about what a summer start would accomplish for a 1L at Michigan? I can see it being nice to "ease into" law school, but it also seems like it could be more competitive in that first semester. Any opinions on the matter would be great! Thanks.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:51 pm

tmon wrote:Hello Wolverines :)

I'm a Michigan UG c/o 2010, took some time off and am now getting ready to apply to schools this cycle. Michigan will definitely be a school I apply to and I'd be happy to return to Ann Arbor. I've been looking into my ED options and saw the summer stipulation for Michigan's. I like the idea of starting in the summer but I haven't found too much discussion of it after doing some searching around here. Is there a general feeling about what a summer start would accomplish for a 1L at Michigan? I can see it being nice to "ease into" law school, but it also seems like it could be more competitive in that first semester. Any opinions on the matter would be great! Thanks.

I'm doing summer start now and enjoy it. Classes don't really feel competitive, we're approaching exams so that's saying something.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:03 pm

Hey - for those of you who had Cooper for Civ Pro, what supplements would you recommend? Thanks a lot!

logan

Postby logan » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:58 pm

MissLucky wrote:Hey - for those of you who had Cooper for Civ Pro, what supplements would you recommend? Thanks a lot!

Friedenthal's hornbook and the E&E

agora139

Postby agora139 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:14 pm

okay so i just read one of the threads about 0L summer prep (http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... .html#prep) and I DIDNT DO ANY OF THIS. am i 100% screwed? ugh.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:16 pm

agora139 wrote:okay so i just read one of the threads about 0L summer prep (http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... .html#prep) and I DIDNT DO ANY OF THIS. am i 100% screwed? ugh.

:P No. I'm a 0L, too, so don't take my word for it, but everyone I've talked to has said that summer prep can be a waste of time.

That having been said, I've done LEEWS and GTM and LSC, and I have to say, they were only marginally helpful. I'd recommend picking up copies of GTM and LSC, but LEEWS was a sad waste of time.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:22 pm

NZA wrote:
agora139 wrote:okay so i just read one of the threads about 0L summer prep (http://www.top-law-schools.com/law-scho ... .html#prep) and I DIDNT DO ANY OF THIS. am i 100% screwed? ugh.

:P No. I'm a 0L, too, so don't take my word for it, but everyone I've talked to has said that summer prep can be a waste of time.

That having been said, I've done LEEWS and GTM and LSC, and I have to say, they were only marginally helpful. I'd recommend picking up copies of GTM and LSC, but LEEWS was a sad waste of time.

ahhhh all the acronyms are freaking me out, what do they mean?? HOW did i miss this 0L prep subculture :(

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”