Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
InvictusFortis
Posts: 199
Joined: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby InvictusFortis » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Has anyone played the golf course at UM? I'm curious if it's worthwhile to bring my clubs.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:59 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:Has anyone played the golf course at UM? I'm curious if it's worthwhile to bring my clubs.


Bring them. The UM course looks nice and there are several more that look nice as well.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby RTFM » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:56 pm

Hey all. Does anyone know when we'll be registered for classes? I'd really like to buy a parking permit and they told me I had to be registered for classes first...

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:07 pm

RTFM wrote:Hey all. Does anyone know when we'll be registered for classes? I'd really like to buy a parking permit and they told me I had to be registered for classes first...


Uh, you don't need/want a permit. The closest you can park is by the stadium (take the univ bus in) and you can park in either of the park & rides for free, and ride the AATA buses for free.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby RTFM » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:29 pm

blowhard wrote:
RTFM wrote:Hey all. Does anyone know when we'll be registered for classes? I'd really like to buy a parking permit and they told me I had to be registered for classes first...


Uh, you don't need/want a permit. The closest you can park is by the stadium (take the univ bus in) and you can park in either of the park & rides for free, and ride the AATA buses for free.


I don't plan on using my car very often, but I'd like to have it nearby. My SO/family are in Chicago, so it'd be nice to be able to be able to drive there once in a while and for holidays. I figure $200 is worth not having to worry about getting a ticket for having my car parked in one spot for too long.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:08 am

RTFM wrote:
blowhard wrote:
RTFM wrote:Hey all. Does anyone know when we'll be registered for classes? I'd really like to buy a parking permit and they told me I had to be registered for classes first...


Uh, you don't need/want a permit. The closest you can park is by the stadium (take the univ bus in) and you can park in either of the park & rides for free, and ride the AATA buses for free.


I don't plan on using my car very often, but I'd like to have it nearby. My SO/family are in Chicago, so it'd be nice to be able to be able to drive there once in a while and for holidays. I figure $200 is worth not having to worry about getting a ticket for having my car parked in one spot for too long.


You can't leave your car in the student lots. They tow. They have a very limited number of storage permits but from what I hear they are impossible to get. You'd have to craigslist a parking spot at someones apartment.

Storage Parking
Storage parking is not allowed in any University lot or structure,
except for the Student Storage parking permits and permits issued
by Housing and Northwood Community Apartments. All personal
vehicles must be removed within 48 hours.


http://pts.umich.edu/permit_parking/students.php#dda wrote:Student Storage Parking Options
"Storage" parking was designed for students who bring their vehicles to campus but don't need to use them frequently, or who don't qualify for student parking permits. The City of Ann Arbor Downtown Development Authority and the University have storage parking options available on a limited basis. Storage parking is available to all students, including freshmen and sophomores.

City of Ann Arbor Downtown Development Authority (DDA) Parking Option
The DDA has 108 parking spaces, including three handicap-accessible spaces, available on First Street, at the northeast corner of First and William streets. The lot is approximately 6 blocks from Central Campus. Monthly parking permits are available. Call (734) 997-1310 for information about current availability.

University Housing
University Housing has a very limited number of parking permits available on a priority basis for University Housing residents for Lot NC32 and NC33 by Baits Houses and at Lot NC31 by Bursley Hall. The permits are valid for the academic year (September - April) for an annual fee (rate prorates per month). The lot is serviced by the U-M Bursley/Baits bus from 7 a.m. to 12:20 a.m., Monday through Friday, and by the U-M North Campus bus from 7:45 a.m. to 2:35 a.m., Saturday and Sunday. For further information about residence hall parking, go to http://www.housing.umich.edu/reshalls/parking. For information about parking at the Northwood community Apartments, go to http://www.housing.umich.edu/northwood/parking.

Parking and Transportation Services (PTS)
PTS has a total of 40 storage parking spaces available at the following locations:

SC39 - South State Street behind the Varsity Tennis Building; south side of gravel lot. Lot served by AATA Bus Route 36 from 6:45 a.m. to 9:45 p.m., Monday through Friday. No service on Saturday, Sunday or Holidays.
NC37 - Green Road, between Plymouth Road and Baxter Road; west side of lot adjacent to curb. Lot served by AATA Bus Route 22 from 6:47 a.m. to 9:45 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 8:45 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. No service on Holidays.
Distribution is first come, first served. The cost of the permit is prorated per an established schedule the 1st and 15th of each month.


RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby RTFM » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:20 pm

blowhard wrote:You can't leave your car in the student lots. They tow. They have a very limited number of storage permits but from what I hear they are impossible to get. You'd have to craigslist a parking spot at someones apartment.


The lady in the parking office said there were storage permits available. That's why I was wondering when we're going to be registered for classes... if we're not registered until orientation, I may be SOL.

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby math101 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:31 pm

Are there any other libraries other than the law library that are good to study at? One of the smaller ones, perhaps? I feel like it might get too hectic to be around the law school library all the time.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:28 pm

math101 wrote:Are there any other libraries other than the law library that are good to study at? One of the smaller ones, perhaps? I feel like it might get too hectic to be around the law school library all the time.


At the law school, there's the reading room and the law library, each of which have very different environments. Law students study at both. There's also a number of undergraduate libraries, graduate libraries, and other reading areas everywhere from across the street to across campus. If there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that there will be no shortage of places to study.

GMVarun
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby GMVarun » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:52 pm

Bronte wrote:
math101 wrote:Are there any other libraries other than the law library that are good to study at? One of the smaller ones, perhaps? I feel like it might get too hectic to be around the law school library all the time.


At the law school, there's the reading room and the law library, each of which have very different environments. Law students study at both. There's also a number of undergraduate libraries, graduate libraries, and other reading areas everywhere from across the street to across campus. If there's one thing you can be sure of, it's that there will be no shortage of places to study.


This is true, but there is a real shortage of group study rooms (there is only 3 in the law library and the UGLI (the UG library near the law school) gives priority to UG). But yes, if you are studying by yourself, there are a lot of places to go. I liked the law library but after a while you get tired of it. There is the the Art School Library, the Grad School library, and UGLI right across the street from the law school and you'll almost never see law students there. UGLI can be somewhat loud, but it has a nice, new cafe, which is convenient. The other two are super quiet. Some people study in the snackbar (which is underneath the Reading Room) or in the Lounge in Hutchins (which is pretty empty after hours); and in the various coffee shops near the law school, which there are a bunch. The Lawyer's Club both the first floor lounge and the basement are also places people sometimes study. Sub-3 was my default place last year, but then I started exploring, and I liked going to the 2nd floor of UGLI and trying to get a study room and just working in there (more light/liked having an entire room/very easy access to caffeine).

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:48 am

RTFM wrote:
blowhard wrote:You can't leave your car in the student lots. They tow. They have a very limited number of storage permits but from what I hear they are impossible to get. You'd have to craigslist a parking spot at someones apartment.


The lady in the parking office said there were storage permits available. That's why I was wondering when we're going to be registered for classes... if we're not registered until orientation, I may be SOL.


Well, the drop/add period goes right up until orientation so they probably don't consider us officialyl registered. Call Dean Baum (student affairs) or e-mail him and ask for assistance. He's good at solving these kinds of conflicts. I'm guessing he can call and get one released to you. Not sure why you'd need to be registered so long as you are a full-time student. I got my ID 2 months early last year just to ride the bus for free without a problem.

Bostonian723
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:38 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bostonian723 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:08 pm

I read recently that the Lawyers Club was getting a renovation Fall 2012-2013. I am thinking of applying for next fall and it would be unfortunate if 1Ls couldn't live there as the building and its sense of community was what had attracted me to Michigan. Does anyone know if the whole building will be shut down for the entire academic year and if so, are they arranging other housing for the 50% of 1Ls who would have lived there? My college has been undergoing some intensive construction for my entire undergrad and I am kind of sick of it, so I was disappointed to read the construction would coincide with my desired start time.

Thanks in advance!

User avatar
thalassocrat
Posts: 488
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby thalassocrat » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:46 pm

Bostonian723 wrote:I read recently that the Lawyers Club was getting a renovation Fall 2012-2013. I am thinking of applying for next fall and it would be unfortunate if 1Ls couldn't live there as the building and its sense of community was what had attracted me to Michigan. Does anyone know if the whole building will be shut down for the entire academic year and if so, are they arranging other housing for the 50% of 1Ls who would have lived there? My college has been undergoing some intensive construction for my entire undergrad and I am kind of sick of it, so I was disappointed to read the construction would coincide with my desired start time.

Thanks in advance!


Right now it seems like the entire thing will be closed all year. There's some speculation they'll provide an alternative, and they did have a focus group towards the end of the year to see what people would find interesting, but afaik they haven't announced anything for sure yet.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:09 pm

thalassocrat wrote:
Bostonian723 wrote:I read recently that the Lawyers Club was getting a renovation Fall 2012-2013. I am thinking of applying for next fall and it would be unfortunate if 1Ls couldn't live there as the building and its sense of community was what had attracted me to Michigan. Does anyone know if the whole building will be shut down for the entire academic year and if so, are they arranging other housing for the 50% of 1Ls who would have lived there? My college has been undergoing some intensive construction for my entire undergrad and I am kind of sick of it, so I was disappointed to read the construction would coincide with my desired start time.

Thanks in advance!


Right now it seems like the entire thing will be closed all year. There's some speculation they'll provide an alternative, and they did have a focus group towards the end of the year to see what people would find interesting, but afaik they haven't announced anything for sure yet.


I also believe it will be closed all year. It's unfortunate for that class, but it will be a big plus for the institution as whole going forward. I wouldn't let it deter you from coming.

User avatar
NZA
Posts: 1285
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby NZA » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:45 pm

I was wondering about 1L summers...I've been doing some searching around, and I've been trying really hard to figure out how people live during their internships.

I mean, financially. For instance, do people just have money randomly that they live off of (like from parents, or something)? Do they apply for grants? I noticed a few people saying that some schools offer a judicial internship course or something, which allows you to take out some loans in order to pay rent, etc.

Anyway, just curious to know how exactly people are able to afford to live for three months working for free. :) I'm kind of nervous about it.

User avatar
math101
Posts: 124
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby math101 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks so much on the detailed answer to my libraries question above. That's exactly the type of options I was looking for.

Another question: when is the write-on competition for Law Review at the end of the year? Exactly after finals or is there a break? And how is it structured? Week-long or several days? Work from home or coming in? Etc. Any information would be helpful, but I am also particularly looking for when it is, since I just realized I have a wedding to attend in Kansas in the middle of May.

Thanks again!

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:03 pm

NZA wrote:I was wondering about 1L summers...I've been doing some searching around, and I've been trying really hard to figure out how people live during their internships.

I mean, financially. For instance, do people just have money randomly that they live off of (like from parents, or something)? Do they apply for grants? I noticed a few people saying that some schools offer a judicial internship course or something, which allows you to take out some loans in order to pay rent, etc.

Anyway, just curious to know how exactly people are able to afford to live for three months working for free. :) I'm kind of nervous about it.


I hear you. Some people live off saving, some people live off parents, a small percentage get paying jobs (about 15% at Michigan, although many of these are secured through familial connections), some people get grants through their school (at Michigan it's called Student Funded Fellowship, it's usually about $3000, and about a third of people that apply get it), some people apply for outside grants, some people get private loans probably or supplement with credit cards.

You can also save your loan money during the year. If you have a tuition scholarship, you can ask for more loan money than you otherwise would and save that money. Even if you don't, you can be frugal. I definitely could have saved $2000 during the year if I'd been more frugal. Also, at Michigan you can elect to have your Grad Plus loans split something like 40/40/20 for semester 1/semester 2/summer.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:33 pm

math101 wrote:Thanks so much on the detailed answer to my libraries question above. That's exactly the type of options I was looking for.

Another question: when is the write-on competition for Law Review at the end of the year? Exactly after finals or is there a break? And how is it structured? Week-long or several days? Work from home or coming in? Etc. Any information would be helpful, but I am also particularly looking for when it is, since I just realized I have a wedding to attend in Kansas in the middle of May.

Thanks again!


This year, the writing competition lasted about ten days directly following finals. I assume that is how it is typically set up. Most people take a couple desperately needed days off. The writing competition packet, which contains the instructions, prompt, and about 300 pages of legal and academic sources, is distributed on the last day of finals. There are no attendance requirements associated with the writing competition. Most people go home and write it, although some people stay in Ann Arbor. The final products (which include your Note, a personal statement, and a note proposal), are submitted electronically as PDFs.

It's a brutal thing to do directly following your 1L year, but it can be worth it. Usually the LR staff chooses a ripped-from-the-headlines topic that is fairly interesting and nontechnical, so that makes the process less painful. I would try to not schedule anything during that week though. I went home to my parents house, holed up, and wrote the whole time. Others who got on (with lesser grades) were much more casual about it, spending much less time on the Note.

die Zauberflote
Posts: 120
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby die Zauberflote » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:27 pm

When I arrive August 1, will I be able to use the school's gym before school starts?

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bronte » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:39 pm

die Zauberflote wrote:When I arrive August 1, will I be able to use the school's gym before school starts?


I'm sure they're open at least part time in the summer. You'll probably need to get your ID early or get a temp or something. Someone from the LS or the main admin should be able to help you out. They're pretty accommodating.

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:01 pm

Bronte wrote:
die Zauberflote wrote:When I arrive August 1, will I be able to use the school's gym before school starts?


I'm sure they're open at least part time in the summer. You'll probably need to get your ID early or get a temp or something. Someone from the LS or the main admin should be able to help you out. They're pretty accommodating.


You can get your regular ID. I got mine July 1 last year for fall start.

freestallion
Posts: 944
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby freestallion » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi everyone! I am considering applying to Michigan, and am very keen on doing public interest afterwards. Is there guaranteed funding for summer PI internships, or not? I am also just wondering what the support and atmosphere is like - is it possible to find a community of like-minded PI folks at Mich? Can you do clinics in your 1L year at all? Also, I am really interested in the South Africa externship and was wondering how easy/difficult it is to get into that/if you've heard it's a good experience?

Sorry for all the questions... thanks in advance!

03121202698008
Posts: 3002
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:07 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:57 pm

freestallion wrote:Hi everyone! I am considering applying to Michigan, and am very keen on doing public interest afterwards. Is there guaranteed funding for summer PI internships, or not? I am also just wondering what the support and atmosphere is like - is it possible to find a community of like-minded PI folks at Mich? Can you do clinics in your 1L year at all? Also, I am really interested in the South Africa externship and was wondering how easy/difficult it is to get into that/if you've heard it's a good experience?

Sorry for all the questions... thanks in advance!


Summer PI funding is possible 1L summer but not guranteed. It is guranteed second summer (AFAIK).

A large percentage of people at MI want PI or did PI stuff before coming here.

You cannot do clinics 1L year because there is an ABA restriction on the number of credits you can do 1L. You're allowed a single 2 credit elective second semester for fall starters but it's strongly discourgaed. You also cannot be provisionally admitted to the bar until 2L so you wouldn't be very useful. (Most states won't let you until 3L.)

MissLucky
Posts: 903
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:48 pm

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby MissLucky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:53 pm

is there a common kitchen area in the LC - will those living in the LC have access to an oven or stove? also, is there a schedule up or a website that outlines the times the LC cafeteria is open for meals? thanks!

also, can someone direct me to some information on moot court/mock trial - when do interested law students typically start to get involved in that/try out, etc?

thanks a lot!

User avatar
SweetrollStealer
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:48 am

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby SweetrollStealer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:12 pm

MissLucky wrote:is there a common kitchen area in the LC - will those living in the LC have access to an oven or stove? also, is there a schedule up or a website that outlines the times the LC cafeteria is open for meals? thanks!

also, can someone direct me to some information on moot court/mock trial - when do interested law students typically start to get involved in that/try out, etc?

thanks a lot!


The LC does not have a common kitchen. Sad, I know. Your best bet I suppose would be to befriend your classmates who are living off campus. Regarding meals, if the schedule is like last year, lunch is from 11:30-1, and dinner is from 5:30-7 Monday through Friday and from 5-6 on Sundays.

Michigan's moot court, the Campbell competition, is not open to 1Ls. That said several student groups send teams to topic-specific moot court competitions elsewhere (environmental law, media law, etc.) and ambitious 1Ls are encouraged to apply. And that would happen I think a month or two in to the fall semester.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Aquinas, Google [Bot] and 4 guests