Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Bronte

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:37 pm

As a funny aside, I was told (or maybe heard it straight from the horse's mouth, not that I hang out with him) that Munger told Dean Caminker that one of the stipulations of his $20MM donation was that the lawyers club had double instead of single twin XL beds because students like to have sex.

Edit: I think they're twin XLs.
Last edited by Bronte on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Bronte wrote:As a funny aside, I was told (or maybe heard it straight from the horse's mouth, not that I hang out with him) that Munger told Dean Caminker that one of the stipulations of his $20MM donation was that the lawyers club had double instead of single beds because students like to have sex.

Damn, but that means you have to share the bed afterwards if you want it to happen again :evil: Dude's heart is in the right place though.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:49 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Bronte wrote:As a funny aside, I was told (or maybe heard it straight from the horse's mouth, not that I hang out with him) that Munger told Dean Caminker that one of the stipulations of his $20MM donation was that the lawyers club had double instead of single twin beds because students like to have sex.

Damn, but that means you have to share the bed afterwards if you want it to happen again :evil: Dude's heart is in the right place though.

Any expansion from a single twin XL is a win, sex or no sex. Those things blow. But dude with a double you still have a valid argument that the bed is too small for two people. Once you go to full, you're pushing it. Further, people pass out together in the singles anyway, so overall I think Munger made the right call. He's gotta be at least reasonably smart.

Edit: I think they're twin XLs not singles.
Last edited by Bronte on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:27 pm

I'll be a transfer and I'm curious what the low-down is on living in the LC?

Anything I should prepare to bring/buy there to furnish the place?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:23 pm

Also a potential transfer looking at suggestions for places to live. Would prefer not to live in the LC, because I'm way too old for dorms and xl beds :lol:.

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:19 pm

lawstudento wrote:I'll be a transfer and I'm curious what the low-down is on living in the LC?

My roommate and I took a very minimalist approach to living in the lawyer's club - we bought no additional furniture, and I only brought a couple rugs and posters and such. We liked it because it made hosting stuff in our common room very easy (we did not have to worry about spills/moving things/etc) but on the other hand, some of the rooms that brought more furniture certainly looked nicer. The other thing to possibly consider is the pain and hassle of moving all of the stuff out. So, all your basic furniture will be provided, but you may want a TV/small couch depending on the size of your room. You may also want a nicer chair (I did not like my LC desk chair) and you may want rugs for the winter. You also will likely need a fridge and may want a microwave. I bought a rapid water heater, so I was able to make instant coffee which I liked, but a coffee maker may also be credited. Oh, I also bought a mattress pad, because my bed was way too stiff and I could sleep directly on it after a while. This was a huge help. We also bought desk lamps which were nice to have. Oh, and though I did not use this for 5-6 months, having a fan may really be necessary for the first month or so.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 pm

lawstudento wrote:I'll be a transfer and I'm curious what the low-down is on living in the LC?

Twin XL sheets, pillows, etc. (I was saying single XL before, but they're twin XLs, right?) A power strip. Obviously, towels, hamper, tooth brush holder, hangers, and just basic stuff like that. I just did a quick Target run with some people I met in the LC in the first week. Otherwise, I bought nothing. I studied pretty much exclusively in my room too, sitting in the wood chair that comes with it.

Also a potential transfer looking at suggestions for places to live. Would prefer not to live in the LC, because I'm way too old for dorms and xl beds :lol:.

Sounds like you already have your mind made up, but unless you're actually quite old (like, nearing 30), you would be fine at the LC. There were some people over 30 staying there, but I get the sense they felt a little to old for it. However, there's plenty of people out of college for four years or so. The huge advantage to the LC is that during your 1L year you don't have to deal with domestic chores, like bills, cleaning bathrooms, commuting, and most importantly cooking. The downside is you have to eat the somewhat mediocre food and get tired of constantly being in the Law Quad.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:25 pm

Bronte wrote:Sounds like you already have your mind made up, but unless you're actually quite old (like, nearing 30), you would be fine at the LC. There were some people over 30 staying there, but I get the sense they felt a little to old for it. However, there's plenty of people out of college for four years or so. The huge advantage to the LC is that during your 1L year you don't have to deal with domestic chores, like bills, cleaning bathrooms, commuting, and most importantly cooking. The downside is you have to eat the somewhat mediocre food and get tired of constantly being in the Law Quad.

Yes, I'm nearing 30. I also won't be a 1L -- I'll be a transfer.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:03 pm

keg411 wrote:
Bronte wrote:Sounds like you already have your mind made up, but unless you're actually quite old (like, nearing 30), you would be fine at the LC. There were some people over 30 staying there, but I get the sense they felt a little to old for it. However, there's plenty of people out of college for four years or so. The huge advantage to the LC is that during your 1L year you don't have to deal with domestic chores, like bills, cleaning bathrooms, commuting, and most importantly cooking. The downside is you have to eat the somewhat mediocre food and get tired of constantly being in the Law Quad.

You're probably right to go off campus then. Being a 2L in the LC is a little wack regardless of age (not that it's a big deal).

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:34 pm

Bronte wrote:
keg411 wrote:

You're probably right to go off campus then. Being a 2L in the LC is a little wack regardless of age (not that it's a big deal).

How is it "wack"? Haha. I'll be a transfer, I don't have a car to bring, I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and I'd prefer to focus on school without having to learn my way around a huge university and getting around in weather I've never lived in before. Is it really that much of a faux pas?

It probably won't change my decision, but eh, figured I'd ask.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:37 pm

lawstudento wrote:How is it "wack"? Haha. I'll be a transfer, I don't have a car to bring, I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and I'd prefer to focus on school without having to learn my way around a huge university and getting around in weather I've never lived in before. Is it really that much of a faux pas?

I wasn't being particularly serious. It's not a faux pas at all. It's just mostly 1Ls that live there.

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:47 pm

Bronte wrote:
lawstudento wrote:How is it "wack"? Haha. I'll be a transfer, I don't have a car to bring, I don't want to buy a bunch of stuff and I'd prefer to focus on school without having to learn my way around a huge university and getting around in weather I've never lived in before. Is it really that much of a faux pas?

I wasn't being particularly serious. It's not a faux pas at all. It's just mostly 1Ls that live there.

A 2L in 1L's clothing?

"What? Ya, of COURSE you have to wear suits to class. Also, cold-calling isn't cold if you've read, and torts is made-up anyway."

er doctor

Postby er doctor » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:43 am

Bronte wrote:but unless you're actually quite old (like, nearing 30)

I just wanted to let you know I just got back from celebrating my 40th birthday and saw this quote. Ouch

tww909

Postby tww909 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:01 am

does anyone know if there's a piano in the lawyer's club that one could use to practice?

if anybody actually plays and could tell me if it's any good that'd be even better. i'd rather not bring my keyboard.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:27 am

er doctor wrote:
Bronte wrote:but unless you're actually quite old (like, nearing 30)

I just wanted to let you know I just got back from celebrating my 40th birthday and saw this quote. Ouch

Haha, congrats. Didn't mean it that way.

logan

Postby logan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:34 am

tww909 wrote:does anyone know if there's a piano in the lawyer's club that one could use to practice?

if anybody actually plays and could tell me if it's any good that'd be even better. i'd rather not bring my keyboard.

There is one in the LC lounge. I don't play so I don't know if it's any good, but people often use it and it sounds good to me.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:08 am

logan wrote:
tww909 wrote:does anyone know if there's a piano in the lawyer's club that one could use to practice?

There is one in the LC lounge. I don't play so I don't know if it's any good, but people often use it and it sounds good to me.

great, thanks! do people often study in the lounge/will people be bothered by someone playing?

bannanagram

Postby bannanagram » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am

I think there are legit practice rooms with pianos located across the street in the Union :-)

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 pm

logan wrote:

There are two in the LC, one in the lounge on the first floor and one in the basement in a little study room off of the rec room. The first one is used in concerts sometimes by the classical society, so I guess it's good enough for them? I'm not a pianist so I can't really judge beyond that it sounds fine to me too. The one downstairs is at least more private in the sense that people have to go either up to the window or actually into the little room to watch you play. People trying to watch TV down there might get annoyed though.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:41 am

Bronte wrote:BH, I'm obviously not an 0L, but the fast and accurate advice you give in this thread is a win for Michigan. I've sent posters that PM me asking questions I don't know the answer to to this thread, telling them "blowhard will hook you up." Good work.

+1, this is for real. Thanks blowhard.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:48 am

thalassocrat wrote:
logan wrote:

There are two in the LC, one in the lounge on the first floor and one in the basement in a little study room off of the rec room. The first one is used in concerts sometimes by the classical society, so I guess it's good enough for them? I'm not a pianist so I can't really judge beyond that it sounds fine to me too. The one downstairs is at least more private in the sense that people have to go either up to the window or actually into the little room to watch you play. People trying to watch TV down there might get annoyed though.

great, thanks! i'm a transfer considering living in the LC. i really just want convenience and could care less about most things, but i absolutely need to practice to stay sane.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:49 am

Bronte wrote:
keg411 wrote:

You're probably right to go off campus then.

Now that that's settled -- any suggestions? I only have three requirements: 1) prefer a roommate (major hint to anyone browsing this thread still looking or knows someone who is still looking :)), 2) no bugs, 3) parking (#3 is a big reason why the LC is out besides the oldness; kind of sad it looks like all of the other transfers, or at least the ones posting ITT, will be in the LC).

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:29 am

keg411 wrote:
Bronte wrote:
keg411 wrote:

You're probably right to go off campus then.

Now that that's settled -- any suggestions? I only have three requirements: 1) prefer a roommate (major hint to anyone browsing this thread still looking or knows someone who is still looking :)), 2) no bugs, 3) parking (#3 is a big reason why the LC is out besides the oldness; kind of sad it looks like all of the other transfers, or at least the ones posting ITT, will be in the LC).

I live at Harbor House, we have underground parking and it's quiet. Others live at Woodbury...it's decent but I prefer my place.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:46 am

blowhard wrote:I live at Harbor House, we have underground parking and it's quiet. Others live at Woodbury...it's decent but I prefer my place.

Thanks! Both look nice if a tiny bit of a trek to center campus (but I suppose if you want better accommodations, that's pretty much required). Do you know anyone looking for roommates at either (or another similar complex)? Should I call the number provided by the school for roommate stuff or just try craigslist? Don't particularly want to spend the $$ to live alone.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:58 pm

keg411 wrote:
blowhard wrote:I live at Harbor House, we have underground parking and it's quiet. Others live at Woodbury...it's decent but I prefer my place.

Thanks! Both look nice if a tiny bit of a trek to center campus (but I suppose if you want better accommodations, that's pretty much required). Do you know anyone looking for roommates at either (or another similar complex)? Should I call the number provided by the school for roommate stuff or just try craigslist? Don't particularly want to spend the $$ to live alone.

I drive like half a mile to the free park and ride. That bus runs every 9 minutes. Takes me less time than people who walk from downtown.

I don't know of anyone looking for a roommate. All of the 2/3Ls have been pretty well setup for months. Doesn't the law school have a matching thing? I'd be wary of the university wide one.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”