Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
NZA

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby NZA » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:41 pm

Bronte wrote:
wolverine6 wrote:
NZA wrote:I was just wondering...does anyone know how we should address postage to the Lawyer's Club?

Took this from the email with the lease in it:

"Mail and Packages
Your mailing address is simply your name and the address: 551 South State St. Ann Arbor MI 48109-1208. "

This is correct. If you know your room number, doesn't hurt to to do:

John Doe / A10
551 South State St.
Ann Arbor, MI 48109

Thank you both! :)

twelda

Postby twelda » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:35 am

Sorry if this has already been asked, but is it unwise to skip classes just before and just after the short Thanksgiving break? I'm really hoping to go home for Thanksgiving and my birthday, but I don't want to miss too many days. On the other hand, at my undergrad, even though classes were officially held on the days surrounding that break, it was pretty much assumed that huge swaths of the student body would be gone and sometimes classes were cancelled altogether.
Thanks!

GMVarun

Postby GMVarun » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:54 pm

twelda wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but is it unwise to skip classes just before and just after the short Thanksgiving break? I'm really hoping to go home for Thanksgiving and my birthday, but I don't want to miss too many days. On the other hand, at my undergrad, even though classes were officially held on the days surrounding that break, it was pretty much assumed that huge swaths of the student body would be gone and sometimes classes were cancelled altogether.
Thanks!

This will depend on your professor and your sections class schedule. If I remember correctly, one of our professors canceled class on that Wednesday, while another said he would not be happy if people skipped class that day. Ultimately, I think you could get away with skipping a day, and plenty of people don't skip any class, but do go home for Thanksgiving. I think some people skipped Wednesday, but it was not the swaths that I too remember from undergrad. It somewhat depends on your class schedule too -- for e.g., if you have one class on Wednesday (or no class on Monday, which is possible), it's not a big deal at all. If you have all three classes and legal practice on Wednesday, it may not be wise to skip. I personally would not skip class, or would minimize the time in doing so, because I'd rather not stress myself out by the travel. If this is a big deal for you, buy a Southwest ticket, see if class gets cancelled or how your prof feels about this, and if you need to you can always cancel your ticket since southwest is completely refundable.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:15 pm

GMVarun wrote:
twelda wrote:Sorry if this has already been asked, but is it unwise to skip classes just before and just after the short Thanksgiving break? I'm really hoping to go home for Thanksgiving and my birthday, but I don't want to miss too many days. On the other hand, at my undergrad, even though classes were officially held on the days surrounding that break, it was pretty much assumed that huge swaths of the student body would be gone and sometimes classes were cancelled altogether.
Thanks!

This will depend on your professor and your sections class schedule. If I remember correctly, one of our professors canceled class on that Wednesday, while another said he would not be happy if people skipped class that day. Ultimately, I think you could get away with skipping a day, and plenty of people don't skip any class, but do go home for Thanksgiving. I think some people skipped Wednesday, but it was not the swaths that I too remember from undergrad. It somewhat depends on your class schedule too -- for e.g., if you have one class on Wednesday (or no class on Monday, which is possible), it's not a big deal at all. If you have all three classes and legal practice on Wednesday, it may not be wise to skip. I personally would not skip class, or would minimize the time in doing so, because I'd rather not stress myself out by the travel. If this is a big deal for you, buy a Southwest ticket, see if class gets cancelled or how your prof feels about this, and if you need to you can always cancel your ticket since southwest is completely refundable.

I agree though many people also chose to stay since at that point your 4 weeks from finals and have a ton of outlining to do.

twelda

Postby twelda » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:56 pm

blowhard wrote:
GMVarun wrote:
Thanks!

I agree though many people also chose to stay since at that point your 4 weeks from finals and have a ton of outlining to do.

Thanks!!

tfer2222

Postby tfer2222 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:02 pm

How do you guys view the transfer students?

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:07 pm

tfer2222 wrote:How do you guys view the transfer students?

+1

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:35 pm

starchinkilt wrote:

+1

For whatever it's worth, my sense is that transfer students tend to do really well--both academically and socially. I'd bet that the admissions office might put you in touch with current transfer students, though, if you really want the inside scoop. For my part, I'd gladly welcome any transfer student willing to sit down and teach me how to take a law school exam. :wink:

PS: I'd also welcome any transfer student who isn't willing to sit down and teach me how to take a law school exam. But the point stands: you obviously know what you're doing and deserve mad props.

PPS: I think the general attitude transfer students find here is probably something to the effect of, "If you're fine by Dean Z, then you're damn sure fine by me."

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 am

tamlyric wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:

+1

For whatever it's worth, my sense is that transfer students tend to do really well--both academically and socially. I'd bet that the admissions office might put you in touch with current transfer students, though, if you really want the inside scoop. For my part, I'd gladly welcome any transfer student willing to sit down and teach me how to take a law school exam. :wink:

PS: I'd also welcome any transfer student who isn't willing to sit down and teach me how to take a law school exam. But the point stands: you obviously know what you're doing and deserve mad props.

PPS: I think the general attitude transfer students find here is probably something to the effect of, "If you're fine by Dean Z, then you're damn sure fine by me."

Good to hear :)

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Apparently there is a way to find your section on the Michigan self-service website. Does anyone know about this?

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:32 pm

die Zauberflote wrote:Apparently there is a way to find your section on the Michigan self-service website. Does anyone know about this?

It might not be up yet; last year I don't think it was up this early. If you're talking about Wolverine Access, the thing to do is go to "Enrollment" and look at your schedule. Find Legal Practice I and see who your professor is and what time the class is. Armed with that info, you go to this conveniently linked Fall 2011 class schedule and find the corresponding Legal Practice class. It'll have your section letter in the footnotes.

Keep in mind that even if it is up now, it's only tentative--I know a few people who had their sections switched on them.

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:02 am

thalassocrat wrote:
die Zauberflote wrote:Apparently there is a way to find your section on the Michigan self-service website. Does anyone know about this?

It might not be up yet; last year I don't think it was up this early. If you're talking about Wolverine Access, the thing to do is go to "Enrollment" and look at your schedule. Find Legal Practice I and see who your professor is and what time the class is. Armed with that info, you go to this conveniently linked Fall 2011 class schedule and find the corresponding Legal Practice class. It'll have your section letter in the footnotes.

Keep in mind that even if it is up now, it's only tentative--I know a few people who had their sections switched on them.

Yeah, one persons changed in orientation last year...

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:50 am

Intimidating. They are usually the biggest gunners, along with those on law review. I took a course that consisted predominantly of transfer students and order of the coif types, and it resulted in one of my worst grades in law school so far.

ecox1215

Postby ecox1215 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:17 am

Hi everyone. I just got into Michigan off of the waitlist so am very late to the apartment hunt. I've been looking at (from my computer as I'm in Colorado) apartment complexes like Woodbury and Lake Village. I saw some of these places discussed earlier, but no one has mentioned Briar Cove. From their website it looks really nice. Does anyone know anything about them or know if anyone lives over there? Thanks.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:13 pm

ecox1215 wrote:Hi everyone. I just got into Michigan off of the waitlist so am very late to the apartment hunt. I've been looking at (from my computer as I'm in Colorado) apartment complexes like Woodbury and Lake Village. I saw some of these places discussed earlier, but no one has mentioned Briar Cove. From their website it looks really nice. Does anyone know anything about them or know if anyone lives over there? Thanks.

I know nothing about these but anecdotally they don't look nearly as good from the outside as the photos make them appear...so I'd ne cautious of trick photography indoors as well. Really, I wouldn't sign anything without visiting and viewing my specific unit.

hangtransferloose

Postby hangtransferloose » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:40 pm

Hi all! Anyone care to share some housing suggestions? I'll be house/apartment hunting very soon.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:57 am

Hi everyone, I've done a search of the forum and couldn't find an answer to this one, so bear with me if I missed it. What's the deal with health insurance at Michigan Law? I thought there was a basic program I could sign up with, but I just stumbled across this: --LinkRemoved--

"While students may make use of the University Health Service on a limited basis they are not provided with traditional health insurance, as is the case at some universities. Refer to additional insurance application information contained in the Law School Orientation Packet."

Can someone shed light on this? If I need to buy separate health insurance I should start looking now.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Hi everyone, I've done a search of the forum and couldn't find an answer to this one, so bear with me if I missed it. What's the deal with health insurance at Michigan Law? I thought there was a basic program I could sign up with, but I just stumbled across this: --LinkRemoved--

"While students may make use of the University Health Service on a limited basis they are not provided with traditional health insurance, as is the case at some universities. Refer to additional insurance application information contained in the Law School Orientation Packet."

Can someone shed light on this? If I need to buy separate health insurance I should start looking now.

There is a basic plan but its super expensive. I got a plan direct from Aetna that covers major medical for $80/month and go to the UHS clinic for everything else for free. Compared to $170 a month...

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:37 pm

BH, I'm obviously not an 0L, but the fast and accurate advice you give in this thread is a win for Michigan. I've sent posters that PM me asking questions I don't know the answer to to this thread, telling them "blowhard will hook you up." Good work.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:01 am

Bronte wrote:BH, I'm obviously not an 0L, but the fast and accurate advice you give in this thread is a win for Michigan. I've sent posters that PM me asking questions I don't know the answer to to this thread, telling them "blowhard will hook you up." Good work.

LOL, thanks

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:21 am

blowhard wrote:
Bronte wrote:BH, I'm obviously not an 0L, but the fast and accurate advice you give in this thread is a win for Michigan. I've sent posters that PM me asking questions I don't know the answer to to this thread, telling them "blowhard will hook you up." Good work.

LOL, thanks

Blowhard haz omnizcience. :wink:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:46 am

starchinkilt wrote:
tamlyric wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:

+1

Good to hear :)

+1 :).

matvei

Postby matvei » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:38 pm

is it true the lawyers club is closing the year 2012-2013 for renovations?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:41 pm

matvei wrote:is it true the lawyers club is closing the year 2012-2013 for renovations?

As far as I know, yes. Charlie Munger donated $20 million to have it renovated.

lawstudento

Postby lawstudento » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:32 pm

keg411 wrote:+1 :).

+1

Transfer party?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”