Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JetstoRJC

Bronze

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Post by JetstoRJC » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:25 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:
er doctor wrote:
blowhard wrote:
er doctor wrote:I need to start looking for a place to live this fall. Any suggestions current Michigan students?
What are you looking for? Apt downtown? Apt within short bus range that's newer/quieter/nicer?
I would prefer newer/quieter/nicer and would REALLY prefer dog friendly so my puppy can visit. Got anything like that?
I checked out a bunch of places and just signed a lease at Woodbury. It's a nice complex and very popular with grad students (particularly MBA's and law students). Let me know if you have any questions.
You will like Woodbury. A couple of people in this thread have mentioned issues with noise. We lucked out and have a very quiet building. I would think noise issues are going to be the same basically in any of the mentioned apartment complexes. Sometimes you will get lucky and have quiet neighbors, other times you are not so lucky. That is just part of living in an apartment. We have had no noise problems.

I think the main advantage of Woodbury is the convenience to the law school. The number 6 bus stops right at the apartment complex and drops you in front of Hutchins. I did not want to live somewhere that I had to transfer buses to get to school, or had to drive to a lot and then catch a bus. It has been very easy and convenient getting to and from classes this year.

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:27 pm

OK I think you guys have convinced me....going to apply for a Woodbury apartment.

Any 0Ls want to start a Woodbury study group?

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:34 am

I'm also moving to Woodbury. But, I'm a summer starter.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:37 am

er doctor wrote:OK I think you guys have convinced me....going to apply for a Woodbury apartment.

BAH! Harbor House! Really though, if at all possible come visit them. The pictures of either aren't representative. With Woodbury, I'd want to see my exact unit. There is some disparity from unit to unit. Some I've been in I wouldn't mind, others I wouldn't live there.

PKSebben

Silver

Post by PKSebben » Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:42 am

blowhard wrote:
er doctor wrote:OK I think you guys have convinced me....going to apply for a Woodbury apartment.

BAH! Harbor House! Really though, if at all possible come visit them. The pictures of either aren't representative. With Woodbury, I'd want to see my exact unit. There is some disparity from unit to unit. Some I've been in I wouldn't mind, others I wouldn't live there.
I agree. I lived at Woodbury for about a week -- it was nice, but the neighbours were exceptionally loud. Thank god for the 30-day satisfaction thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:52 pm

buckilaw wrote:I'm also moving to Woodbury. But, I'm a summer starter.
I'm also a summer starter who's gonna be at Woodbury. When are you moving to A2?

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:18 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:
buckilaw wrote:I'm also moving to Woodbury. But, I'm a summer starter.
I'm also a summer starter who's gonna be at Woodbury. When are you moving to A2?
PM'd you.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:47 pm

So what's the preferred financial institution on campus? Not looking for anything fancy....just free checking, convenient ATMs, and good customer service.

PiersonVee

New

Post by PiersonVee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:08 pm

PKSebben wrote:
blowhard wrote:

I agree. I lived at Woodbury for about a week -- it was nice, but the neighbours were exceptionally loud. Thank god for the 30-day satisfaction thing.
My SO and I live at Signature Club, and we love it. It is very quiet and pet-friendly, and I think it's cheaper than Woodbury, but I could be mistaken. On the downside, it takes a little longer to ride the bus (15 minutes instead of 5 minutes from Woodbury).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PiersonVee

New

Post by PiersonVee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:11 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:So what's the preferred financial institution on campus? Not looking for anything fancy....just free checking, convenient ATMs, and good customer service.
UofM Credit Union is the best. Seriously, I don't understand why anyone looking for basic free-checking services would go to a bank instead of a non-profit credit union. There is a UMCU branch in the basement of the Union building, which is directly across the street from the law school.

er doctor

Bronze

Post by er doctor » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:28 pm

OK I guess it's time for the real important stuff. Best pizza/chinese/thai and other delivery?

PiersonVee

New

Post by PiersonVee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:34 pm

er doctor wrote:OK I guess it's time for the real important stuff. Best pizza/chinese/thai and other delivery?
Pizza House has the best pizza in my opinion, but I am sure that many people would disagree with me. I don't really eat Chinese, (that is, unless you include Panda Express), so I can't really help you there. As for Thai food, No Thai is ridiculously good.

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:18 pm

PiersonVee wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:So what's the preferred financial institution on campus? Not looking for anything fancy....just free checking, convenient ATMs, and good customer service.
UofM Credit Union is the best. Seriously, I don't understand why anyone looking for basic free-checking services would go to a bank instead of a non-profit credit union. There is a UMCU branch in the basement of the Union building, which is directly across the street from the law school.
Thanks. Does UMCU have any ATMs around campus?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PiersonVee

New

Post by PiersonVee » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:24 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:
PiersonVee wrote:
There are only a few branches and ATMs on campus. Here is a link:
http://www.umcu.org/about/locations/bra ... ectory.pdf

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 9:41 pm

PiersonVee wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:
PiersonVee wrote:
There are only a few branches and ATMs on campus. Here is a link:
http://www.umcu.org/about/locations/bra ... ectory.pdf
Thanks, the limited number of ATMs kinda sucks but I guess since we have a branch in the union it's not that bad.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:21 pm

So I sent in my deposit and I'm officially attending!

What are the first weeks of school like? I have a wedding to attend out of state on the weekend of September 3 (right after orientation and just before classes; awful timing) and I'm trying to determine if it's feasible or just a bad idea to leave school for that weekend. Thoughts?

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:56 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:So I sent in my deposit and I'm officially attending!

What are the first weeks of school like? I have a wedding to attend out of state on the weekend of September 3 (right after orientation and just before classes; awful timing) and I'm trying to determine if it's feasible or just a bad idea to leave school for that weekend. Thoughts?
You'll be fine. Sept and October are probably the best months (in terms of light workload/other responsibilities) of 1L.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:04 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:

You'll be fine. Sept and October are probably the best months (in terms of light workload/other responsibilities) of 1L.
No self imposed ban I see :wink:

wolverine2014

Bronze

Post by wolverine2014 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:17 pm

I also have a wedding in early September. I don't anticipate it being a problem.

R.R. Raskolnikov

Bronze

Post by R.R. Raskolnikov » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:56 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:

Do you recall what time the last day of orientation wraps up? I would need to catch a flight that day.

Joan Hollaway

Silver

Post by Joan Hollaway » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:04 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:

Do you recall what time the last day of orientation wraps up? I would need to catch a flight that day.
Hmm no clue, I don't think it went till late and tbh orientation activities besides maybe service day aren't really mandatory, strongly recommend you attend them all but there will be no adverse effects if you don't.

AreJay711 wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:

No self imposed ban I see :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I lack self-control...and there's snow on the ground so I'm stalling leaving my room and being productive.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:10 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:
Joan Hollaway wrote:

If I remember correctly, we had intro classes with our actual professors on the final day so not everyone had the same schedule.

buckilaw

Silver

Post by buckilaw » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:44 pm

How many clinics can students typically participate in before graduation? I'd like to do 3 but have a feeling that this is unrealistic.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:03 pm

buckilaw wrote:How many clinics can students typically participate in before graduation? I'd like to do 3 but have a feeling that this is unrealistic.
One. Most people I know have done one clinic (either year round or one semester). Keep in mind that certain ones are pretty competitive to get into. I applied to 3 different clinics in 2 different semesters -- one only accepted 1/4 of applicants -- and didn't get into any. Apparently, and I learned this too late, you should reapply to the same clinic over and over again if you don't get into it in the beginning. My friend got into the Urban Communities Clinic after applying 3 times. And talking to clinic profs beforehand or getting to know them may also help you get in.

A downside to participating in multiple clinics is that you're missing out on the chance to take more doctrinal courses like Sec Reg and Commercial Transactions. (Well I guess that can be seen as a positive depending on what your interest are.) A plus is that you will probably have 2 fewer finals in the semester you take a clinic.

Ljsmith2

New

Post by Ljsmith2 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:17 pm

Does anyone have experience with CMB Management? I'm looking at 350 Thompson Street for next fall. Any thoughts from current students?

Thanks!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”