Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
whirledpeas86

Re: Michigan 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls taking questions

Postby whirledpeas86 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:12 pm

LC sounds pretty nice, but I don't think I could take sharing a bathroom again. Also, I like cooking my own food.

pinkpanther

Postby pinkpanther » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:28 pm

so I wasn't really sure where exactly to post this, but I figured I might get some helpful feedback in this thread. I've recently been waitlisted at michigan, it's my number one choice and I was wondering what else I can do to increase my chances of getting in. I'm from michigan, and I was in the ann arbor area today so I decided to personally drop off my LOCI at the admissions office, but I didn't really get to talk to anyone besides the receptionist (not that I really expected to be able to talk to an admissions committee member). Anyways, besides writing an loci, any suggestions on whats worked in the past? or any advice in general? It's driving me crazy not being able to do anything...

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 pm

Any current students hear anything positive or negative about the following apartment complexes? Thanks

Briar Cove
Hidden Valley
Ponds at Georgetown
Signature Club Apts.
Woodland

R.R. Raskolnikov

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:41 pm

pinkpanther wrote:so I wasn't really sure where exactly to post this, but I figured I might get some helpful feedback in this thread. I've recently been waitlisted at michigan, it's my number one choice and I was wondering what else I can do to increase my chances of getting in. I'm from michigan, and I was in the ann arbor area today so I decided to personally drop off my LOCI at the admissions office, but I didn't really get to talk to anyone besides the receptionist (not that I really expected to be able to talk to an admissions committee member). Anyways, besides writing an loci, any suggestions on whats worked in the past? or any advice in general? It's driving me crazy not being able to do anything...

If you know any Michigan Law grads and they view you favorably you could try to get them to call or write to admissions on your behalf. This was suggested to me by a Michigan grad in the event that I was waitlisted anywhere. Working the alumni network can never be a bad thing.

Also, if you don't know any Michigan alumni but know someone who does, this would be a good time to ask if you can be put in touch with them to talk about the law school. Maybe you can't just ask a stranger to put in a good word for you, but if you can start a relationship now then they might be willing in a couple months. Just a thought.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:12 am

wolverine2014 wrote:Any current students hear anything positive or negative about the following apartment complexes? Thanks

Briar Cove
Hidden Valley
Ponds at Georgetown
Signature Club Apts.
Woodland

Hidden Valley looks kind of ghetto...I run through there. The rest are all far away from bus routes (or on inconvenient ones), so unless you plan on driving to the free park & ride...

JetstoRJC

Postby JetstoRJC » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:36 pm

blowhard wrote:
wolverine2014 wrote:Any current students hear anything positive or negative about the following apartment complexes? Thanks

Briar Cove
Hidden Valley
Ponds at Georgetown
Signature Club Apts.
Woodland

Hidden Valley looks kind of ghetto...I run through there. The rest are all far away from bus routes (or on inconvenient ones), so unless you plan on driving to the free park & ride...

Signature Club isn't too far away from a bus route. The #6 picks up at Briarwood Mall and takes you right to the Law School. If your apartment building is on the close end to the mall it is not too bad. If your building is on the other side of the complex it is a bit of a walk.

Postby 03121202698008 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:24 pm

JetstoRJC wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Briar Cove
Hidden Valley
Ponds at Georgetown
Signature Club Apts.
Woodland

Signature Club isn't too far away from a bus route. The #6 picks up at Briarwood Mall and takes you right to the Law School. If your apartment building is on the close end to the mall it is not too bad. If your building is on the other side of the complex it is a bit of a walk.

Eh, the walk doesn't seem far on paper but it'd suck in the winter. I live in Harbor House and it's basically the same distance for me to ride the #7 in and walk from Main. When it got cold...I started driving to the park & ride and riding the #36 that runs every 9-12 min.

supersar

Postby supersar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Hi Everyone. I was completely sure I was going to Michigan and so I signed a lease for a really great, one bedroom apartment. Long story, but I have since decided to go to UCLA, soooo if anyone is interested please feel free to PM me. The apartment is right on South University (VERY close to the law school), it's recently renovated and perfect for one person.

Thanks!!

mich 13

Postby mich 13 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:17 am

There is definitely no hazing in the phid house.

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:22 pm

If I'm going to be looking for a rental home in the Old West Side or Burns Park, is craigslist the best way to go? Also, how far in advance should I start looking? Which bus lines are the most convenient in those areas?

Reinhardt

Postby Reinhardt » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:07 pm

You should be looking now. Granted, I haven't taken my own advice, but people were locking in rentals back in 2010.

src42

Postby src42 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:49 am

So, I'm a summer starter, but things have come up at work and I'd really like to stay through the summer and start school in the fall. As of now, Michigan is definitely my #1 choice. Do you think they'd let me switch to fall? Should I just send a nice email to Dean Z asking whether it's possible and explaining the situation? Do any of you know someone who did this?

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:33 am

Up in the ranks!

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:51 am

src42 wrote:So, I'm a summer starter, but things have come up at work and I'd really like to stay through the summer and start school in the fall. As of now, Michigan is definitely my #1 choice. Do you think they'd let me switch to fall? Should I just send a nice email to Dean Z asking whether it's possible and explaining the situation? Do any of you know someone who did this?

Yes! I'd be surprised if they wouldn't do something to accommodate you. :)

src42

Postby src42 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:56 am

tamlyric wrote:
src42 wrote:So, I'm a summer starter, but things have come up at work and I'd really like to stay through the summer and start school in the fall. As of now, Michigan is definitely my #1 choice. Do you think they'd let me switch to fall? Should I just send a nice email to Dean Z asking whether it's possible and explaining the situation? Do any of you know someone who did this?

I hope! Michigan is awesome!

JTMan

Postby JTMan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 am

src42 wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

I hope! Michigan is awesome!

I also was a Summer Starter and have switched to Fall. As long as you have a legit reason I think its ok. Some reasons I have heard that have worked:

1. Financial Burden (Mine...I gave her an exact dollar value of how much i stood to lose)

2. Under grad graduating in May....needs a break.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Summer starter with a question for one of the current students:

I have this master scheme to do an externship my third semester, next winter semester, since I will have all my first year courses completed (I think). Is that feasible? Do you know anyone that has done something similar to that? I think I'd like to graduate with the rest of the class and hope it might give me some minor benefit for 2L OCI. Any advice or things I should consider would be appreciated.

wolverine2014

Postby wolverine2014 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:11 pm

Summer starter here.....how's the bus service during the summer? I'll probably be living off campus (Woodbury) and was wondering if I can expect regular bus service June-August.
Thanks

vidhartha

Postby vidhartha » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:15 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Summer starter with a question for one of the current students:

I have this master scheme to do an externship my third semester, next winter semester, since I will have all my first year courses completed (I think). Is that feasible? Do you know anyone that has done something similar to that? I think I'd like to graduate with the rest of the class and hope it might give me some minor benefit for 2L OCI. Any advice or things I should consider would be appreciated.

I don't think you will be able, as a summer starter I think the break down for 1L classes is: 2 in summer, 3 in fall, 1 in winter (your third semester). At least that is what it was for me. I don't think that will change b/c no one takes 4 1L classes a semester. That would be crazy insane work. So long story short. Don't bank on externship during winter semester since you will still have a 1L course left.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:43 pm

wolverine2014 wrote:Summer starter here.....how's the bus service during the summer? I'll probably be living off campus (Woodbury) and was wondering if I can expect regular bus service June-August.
Thanks

It runs though at reduced capacity and times. Look on theride.org for bus schedules. If the summer one isn't up yet it will be in a month or two. You should be fine to Woodbury though.

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:51 pm

Anybody know about the Summer Start professors?

Contracts: White or Pottow
Torts: Logue
Legal Practice: Frost, Croskery-Roberts, or Seymour

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:56 pm

die Zauberflote wrote:Anybody know about the Summer Start professors?

Contracts: White or Pottow
Torts: Logue
Legal Practice: Frost, Croskery-Roberts, or Seymour

Er...didn't Dean Z send out an email saying the two summer start profs are Clark and Cooper, and that the three legal practice profs are Frost, Croskery-Roberts, and Osbeck?

(I am currently looking at said e-mail, so this is not really a question. Where did you get these other names from?)

die Zauberflote

Postby die Zauberflote » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:59 pm

Entchen wrote:Er...didn't Dean Z send out an email saying the two summer start profs are Clark and Cooper, and that the three legal practice profs are Frost, Croskery-Roberts, and Osbeck?

Ha...I was looking at the 2010 schedule. Let me rephrase:

Clark and Cooper
Frost, Croskery-Roberts, and Osbeck

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:00 pm

die Zauberflote wrote:
Entchen wrote:Er...didn't Dean Z send out an email saying the two summer start profs are Clark and Cooper, and that the three legal practice profs are Frost, Croskery-Roberts, and Osbeck?

Clark and Cooper

Clark did the mock class at ASW 1, and I also sat in on his Sports Law class. He seemed phenomenal.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:21 pm

Entchen wrote:
die Zauberflote wrote:

Clark and Cooper

Clark did the mock class at ASW 1, and I also sat in on his Sports Law class. He seemed phenomenal.

Clark also went to my undergrad 8) . (It doesn't matter, I couldn't possibly out myself anymore than I already have in this thread).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”